PDA

View Full Version : New to RV’ing

Denise F
06-08-2020, 09:12 AM
Hi all - we bought a 2014 Keystone Laredo 240MK and are pulling it with a Dodge 1500 Ecodiesel. We live in Lake Country, BC. We had a camper a few years ago but this is the first time with a travel trailer. We’ve had 2 weekend trips in it already. I already damaged the gelcoat on the corner (got a little close to the wall When we got home) and yesterday, I pulled the cushions apart to give the covers a wash and the fabric literally disintegrated in the washer...sigh... I haven’t told my husband yet. For a 7 year old unit that has overall, been gently used, I expected better. I’m in the market for a solution to the mess I’ve now made on the cushions (my husband is betting pretty good at fixing gelcoat because I also drive the boat :lol:).

wiredgeorge
06-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the site! Folks told me when I got my first camper that my driving would improve with practice. It really hasn't! Get a backup camera on the rear of your camper and it will help. As far as replacing fabric on cushions, guess you mean the dinette? Ours was miserably uncomfortable and I pulled it out and tossed it and bought a table and chairs from Ikea. Much better! Welcome to the site!

Denise F
06-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Thank you. We still want to keep the dinette so that our son or the grandkids can come along. I saw the threads on replacing the foam but am hoping someone has a suggestion for replacement cushion covers.

wiredgeorge
06-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Thank you. We still want to keep the dinette so that our son or the grandkids can come along. I saw the threads on replacing the foam but am hoping someone has a suggestion for replacement cushion covers.

Put a piece of 1/4" Luann plywood under the cushion and then get some material that is likely more attractive than the original and just wrap it around the cushion like doing a Christmas package and staple on the bottom. Use some velcro on the plywood and the base or non-stick stuff you might use in kitchen cabinets to keep those cushions from wandering as you sit on them. The reason for the cushion replacement threads is that the cushions loose their support pretty quickly due to CHEAP CHEAP foam used. I sank down to the plywood when we had our dinette as our trailer is a 2002 and the cushions were absolutely shot.

Roscommon48
06-08-2020, 12:15 PM
you damaged the trailer? wow, this is typical of most rvers the first time. It's a great lesson and a great story at night to tell other RVers.

as for quality, RVs don't usually have great quality things inside them, that is why many of us upgrade and remodel.

enjoy RVing.

Big1
06-08-2020, 08:24 PM
Welcome from Washington.

Gary R.
06-08-2020, 09:45 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum from Oregon!