PDA

View Full Version : Additional Bedroom AC

KevinGwin
06-05-2020, 02:20 PM
My hideout 308BHDS is prewired for another AC. Do I have to buy a specific unit or is the mounting pretty standard. I was looking at a dometic unit that says fits standard 14” x 14” opening. If I buy that, with the mechanical air box, will it all bolt right together? And is the electrical part plug and play? Thanks

wiredgeorge
06-05-2020, 03:06 PM
My hideout 308BHDS is prewired for another AC. Do I have to buy a specific unit or is the mounting pretty standard. I was looking at a dometic unit that says fits standard 14” x 14” opening. If I buy that, with the mechanical air box, will it all bolt right together? And is the electrical part plug and play? Thanks

Kevin, All RV air conditioners I know of fit 14x14 hole. If you buy a NON DUCTED with the machine inside part all that will need be done is to remove your skylight and drop the new A/C in. You will connect the provided A/C wires with the wires from A/C and plug the upper and lower components together. There will be some long "studs" that go through the lower to the upper to hold things. Make sure your new Dometic A/C has the gasket around the bottom, the studs and the matching lower unit. Find a friend to drag the thing onto your camper's roof.

KevinGwin
06-05-2020, 03:32 PM
Thanks George, that’s what I thought! Is it a plug and play, or connecting wires, if so will it most likely be the same color coded wires?

wiredgeorge
06-05-2020, 04:33 PM
Thanks George, that’s what I thought! Is it a plug and play, or connecting wires, if so will it most likely be the same color coded wires?

Don't really think there will be any surprises; black is hot, white is neutral ground and clear copper or green will be ground. Check your converter and look for the breaker marked for the 2nd A/C and you will note the wire tied to the breaker (the hot wire) will be black and will be paired to a white wire screwed into the common neutral ground bar.

chuckster57
06-05-2020, 04:40 PM
I was told yesterday that you can buy a ducted unit with plenum controls. Advantage is the ability to run the bedroom AC to cool off the family room while watching TV or the ability to cool the bedroom without the noise.

sourdough
06-05-2020, 05:25 PM
DOES that unit have a prewired, ducted opening? Depending on the year it may or may not have. Buying a ducted unit without actually knowing what's "up there" might be inconvenient. OP, do you know that you have ducts for that unit in the ceiling or is it meant for a ductless unit?

KevinGwin
06-06-2020, 04:59 AM
Sourdough, I imagine it’s not ducted... I’m fine w that! I was just gonna drop a non ducted unit and mechanical air box on the bottom

chuckster57
06-06-2020, 05:15 AM
Simply remove the trim ring inside and you should be able to determine if it’s ducted. If it turns out it is, I would consider the ducted unit.

JRTJH
06-06-2020, 05:52 AM
I second the check to see if the vent is ducted... The A/C units cost the same, ducting will add significant versatility to the system (for free). Just one example of the versatility, it's nice to watch TV in the evening with the bedroom A/C cooling the main cabin rather than having the "roar of the A/C overhead..

KevinGwin
06-06-2020, 06:14 AM
I removed the trim piece, it is not ducted. Looks like I can get this all done myself for roughly $600, and like most of you know.... when it’s over 80 degrees here in Ohio, my AC unit works overtime and never truly keeps up.

sourdough
06-06-2020, 09:05 AM
We installed a non ducted bedroom unit in our last trailer and liked it just fine. We really liked the dump feature when it was getting warm (we like to sleep cold) and we both also like noise at night (at home at the s&b we run 3 large fans around the bed for "noise" since I am a very light sleeper. If it got warm in the day you can either use the dump feature or vents, put a fan in the BR door and let it blow into the main cabin of the trailer. Worked well for us but was a bit noisy - but we didn't care. We don't watch TV in the bedroom and in the living area just replaced the OE crap speakers with better ones and "turned it up a bit" so we could hear over the drone.:D:D

KevinGwin
06-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Now, since it is no ducted, we are somewhat warm in the bedroom, but it’s gets really warm in the Back bunkhouse. Do you think just having two units, we can block off the vent in our bed room and bedroom bathroom, the two units and closing of two vents will make a significant difference in the back?

5J's
06-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Hey KevinGwin, I have the same trailer with the same problems. I installed a unit in the front bedroom last year and can say it was fairly easy. I did opt however for a non-ducted with no local control. I added a t-stat at the foot of the bed. I can't find my pictures at the moment but the most difficult part was the T-stat. As far as air flow to the bunk room, I pulled down the vent above the top bunk and blocked off the duct going to the end of the trailer with a pool noodle cut in half and sealed it with foil tape. I did the same thing to the duct in the vent above the TV leading to the front bedroom.

KevinGwin
06-10-2020, 08:55 AM
5Js, what do you mean you pulled down the duct from above the top bunk? Also, the vents you blocked, I assume you’re talking about the one going the the master bedroom and the half bath?

5J's
06-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't pull down the duct. I pulled down the vent. I pulled off the vent above the top bunk and the vent above the television in the living area. I placed a piece of pool noodle and foil tape seal between the open vent and the end of the trailer (rear end for the bunk room vent and fore end for the living area vent). This prevented any air from escaping to the rear wall of the trailer and entering the front bath or bed rooms. At the same time I pulled down all the other vents and placed some foil tape around the ceiling edge to prevent any air escaping the register (vent) into the ceiling space

KevinGwin
06-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Was it all worth it?

5J's
06-12-2020, 06:16 AM
It made a huge difference in the master and it also made some difference in the bunk. Often my windows are fogged over in the mornings and DW is happy so it doesn't get any better than that. We'll be headed out in a couple of weeks for a summer vacation trip through the Carolinas. I'll track the temps both inside and outside as well as the humidity for you.

Phil Saran
06-14-2020, 08:15 PM
Our last RV was a MH with 2 A/C units.
The one in the bedroom was extremely noisy compared to the one in the living room.

When we bought our current 5th wheel trailer we only got one A/C ion the living area but vented to the bedroom, much better.

KSH
06-14-2020, 08:28 PM
I was told yesterday that you can buy a ducted unit with plenum controls. Advantage is the ability to run the bedroom AC to cool off the family room while watching TV or the ability to cool the bedroom without the noise.Chuckster,
What unit is that?

Gibber
07-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Hi 5J’s
Could you give a bit more detail about pulling the vent? I would like to do the same but cannot see and screws and don’t want to just try prying them off.

Also, has anyone seen aftermarket vents that allow for adjustable flow as well as direction?

travelin texans
07-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Hi 5J’s
Could you give a bit more detail about pulling the vent? I would like to do the same but cannot see and screws and don’t want to just try prying them off.

Also, has anyone seen aftermarket vents that allow for adjustable flow as well as direction?

MaxxAir fans have variable speeds & the fan is reversible.

Gibber
07-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the Maxxair suggestion Travelin.

I checked their web site but all I could find were interior to exterior vents. What I am looking for is the type of vent that goes on the ceiling to direct/control the air flow out of an AC duct.

When we got home I did more searching and found one at Valterra. They call it a dampered, rotating, heating/air conditioning register.

KevinGwin
01-24-2021, 08:52 AM
Did you have to build something around the bedroom
Ac unit on the roof in order to level it out, or is that roof vent already on a level portion of the roof?

KevinGwin
05-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Hey, I finally got the unit. Before I install, is it nice and level on the roof above the bedroom where I’m installing it. My boss had to build a frame to get the correct angle on his 5th wheel, but I’m assuming I can just drop it in?

wiredgeorge
05-22-2021, 09:33 AM
Hey, I finally got the unit. Before I install, is it nice and level on the roof above the bedroom where I’m installing it. My boss had to build a frame to get the correct angle on his 5th wheel, but I’m assuming I can just drop it in?

Couple things... first you have a gasket to put under the unit. Piece of foam. Next, before dropping it in, the rubber roof folds into the space you had the vent; take a stapler and make sure it is flush by stapling where the rubber folds over the edges so you don' tear it. Make sure your electrical leads don't pinch and you are able to route them so they will connect readily. Last, at your breaker, make sure it has a black (hot) wire connected and either pull it out or at least shut it off so we will be able to get a follow up (you won't be fried). I am kind of surprised it took so long to get the A/C or are you just getting ready to install?

KevinGwin
05-22-2021, 09:50 AM
Thanks…... I’m assuming it came w the gasket, haven’t opened it all up yet. Just now got around to buying the unit, that’s why it took so long:) sounds like getting it up on the roof is half the battle

KevinGwin
05-22-2021, 10:02 AM
Also, about to buy some wirenuts on Amazon, so they are there when we get home tomorrow, anyone know why gauge the wires are most likely?

wiredgeorge
05-22-2021, 01:27 PM
I don't remember from installing my A/C but am guessing the yellow wire nuts would be about right; I think 10-12 ga? And yes, the gasket will be in with the A/C. Not sure about the long bolts and they may come with the lower unit.

Easiest way to get the A/C on the roof (my opinion only) is to either have a big strong son-in-law help or put a ladder up on the side, tie around the A/C box and drag the box up the ladder after you get up there. The ladder feet have to be well away from the camper. Two sets of hands obviously make it a lot easier.

jasin1
05-22-2021, 02:26 PM

I believe they have scroll compressors that don’t need to be perfectly level. Probably more important that it is sandwiched evenly in the opening of the rv and completely sealed to prevent water intrusion.
This new cougar A/C Is really at an angle