PDA

View Full Version : Roof Repair Questions

wradar
06-01-2020, 08:55 AM
Our 2015 Keystone trailer has a soft spot in the corner, which I suspect was due to a gap in the self-leveling sealant on the corner trim. We temporarily fixed it by applying more sealant, but now it's time to fix the underlying wood damage. My plan is to only replace the damaged area of wood, and to reuse the existing EPDM.

After reviewing lots of how-tos and YouTube videos online, I'm going to tackle it myself. More questions will likely arise, but I'm starting off with just two:

1) After you're done installing the new wood, you're supposed to glue the EPDM to the wood. I've seen both roof-specific adhesive used, as well as ordinary contact cement. Does it matter which?

2) If the factory installed the EPDM by gluing it to the wood, how do I remove the EPDM from the damaged wood? Just peel gently?

Thanks!
-Will

DMK
06-15-2020, 04:01 AM
Our 2015 Keystone trailer has a soft spot in the corner, which I suspect was due to a gap in the self-leveling sealant on the corner trim. We temporarily fixed it by applying more sealant, but now it's time to fix the underlying wood damage. My plan is to only replace the damaged area of wood, and to reuse the existing EPDM.

After reviewing lots of how-tos and YouTube videos online, I'm going to tackle it myself. More questions will likely arise, but I'm starting off with just two:

1) After you're done installing the new wood, you're supposed to glue the EPDM to the wood. I've seen both roof-specific adhesive used, as well as ordinary contact cement. Does it matter which?

2) If the factory installed the EPDM by gluing it to the wood, how do I remove the EPDM from the damaged wood? Just peel gently?

Thanks!

-WillI just rebuilt my slide room and the EDPM wasn't glued down. The main roof is a different story and I believe contact cement could work, but remember when it contacts your done, so you may be better with using a product that will give you some working time. If it's just a corner probably no problem. As far as the roof over the soft spot goes I would bet you could clean it off carefully and glue back down.

chuckster57
06-15-2020, 04:27 AM
There is specific adhesives for the roof membrane. Depending on what the roof deck material is, you may end up with lots of splinters stuck to the membrane. Be prepared to peel off lots of splinters, and when you glue it back down watch the corners. We often times cut the membrane and replace it using a transition strip at the seam, covered with Dicor.