PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rushmore

Steve's 70-5
05-29-2020, 10:36 AM
Heading to Mount Rushmore in September. Need to make reservation in campgrounds for the drive to and from. Staring in Louisville Ky. My GPS a Garmin RV770 give a couple options.

1 Go thru Indy- Peoria I-74- Cedar Rapids I-380 then Hwy 20 across Iowa to I -29 then I 90 to Rapid City. I am questioning Hwy 20

2 I -64 to St. Louis then I-70 to Kansas City then somewhere around Omaha it cuts across Nebraska to Rapid City

3 I was planning on going St. Louis then Kansas City head north on I-29 then West on I-90 to Rapid City.

We have a week plus a day for the trip. I will be pulling a 27’ TT.

As of now will leave Friday after work and drive to Columbia Mo. stop for the night. Drive to Mitchell SD and stop for the night. Then Rapid City.

Need input on best route

Canonman
05-29-2020, 10:55 AM
Sorry I can't help with a best route, I've not been east of Mt Rushmore. I can tell you that I would heartily recommend staying in the Custer State Park. The Stockade Lake North campground has some very nice camping. the big plus is it makes an excellent base to explore the area around Rushmore. The park itself is a treasure for wildlife, close to the Memorial as well as the other attractions in the area. I'm including a few photos to give you some idea of what you can look forward to. We loved our time there. There is so much to see in addition to the Memorial. Be sure to make time to visit the Memorial evening presentation. Very moving. Also the Sitting Bull memorial. They also have an evening laser show that's very cool.

chuckster57
05-29-2020, 11:31 AM
If you go to Rushmore, do yourself a favor and go see Crazy Horse. The food ( if they are allowed to serve) is phenomenal. I had buffalo stew and Indian fry bread.

major bumm
05-29-2020, 03:01 PM
Heading to Mount Rushmore in September.

2 I -64 to St. Louis then I-70 to Kansas City then somewhere around Omaha it cuts across Nebraska to Rapid City

3 I was planning on going St. Louis then Kansas City head north on I-29 then West on I-90 to Rapid City.

wow. Nice trip, but, for me, too much highway. Did this trip four years ago from Nashville.

Stayed in both Mitchell and Sioux Falls... a nice brew pub was just across the street from the KOA in Sioux Falls back then.

I liked Mitchell. Nothing fancy, but nice out of the way place to stay.
I-90 was, 4 yrs ago, a tough ride. The highway had developed a wavy pattern that had the TV and trailer going in all kinds of funky directions. speed limit was 80. I could only manage 50mph. Maybe it was the wheel base of the rig I had, I just don't know, cause I haven't driven that route since.

Pros:
faster (maybe)
the view as you drive from east to west and transition from the plains to the Black hills. Have the camera at the ready

Minuteman missile national monument.
The Badlands
Ellsworth AFB has a museum housing one of the few X-70 Valkyrie.

Cons:
that hwy
Lots and lots of boring

Rt 20 through NE is an alternative. I boondock at walmart on the eastern side of NE Fremont or Norfolk. (I think). But, there is no where to camp after Norfolk until you reach the western most part of NE.

Distant from Mt Rushmore, but may help if reservations are tough. Spearfish KOA (2hrs), Devil's Tower wy (3hrs), BJ's campground Lusk, wy (3hrs)

Enjoy!

JRTJH
05-29-2020, 04:41 PM
wow. Nice trip, but, for me, too much highway. Did this trip four years ago from Nashville.

Stayed in both Mitchell and Sioux Falls... a nice brew pub was just across the street from the KOA in Sioux Falls back then.

I liked Mitchell. Nothing fancy, but nice out of the way place to stay.
I-90 was, 4 yrs ago, a tough ride. The highway had developed a wavy pattern that had the TV and trailer going in all kinds of funky directions. speed limit was 80. I could only manage 50mph. Maybe it was the wheel base of the rig I had, I just don't know, cause I haven't driven that route since.

Pros:
faster (maybe)
the view as you drive from east to west and transition from the plains to the Black hills. Have the camera at the ready

Minuteman missile national monument.
The Badlands
Ellsworth AFB has a museum housing one of the few X-70 Valkyrie.

Cons:
that hwy
Lots and lots of boring

Rt 20 through NE is an alternative. I boondock at walmart on the eastern side of NE Fremont or Norfolk. (I think). But, there is no where to camp after Norfolk until you reach the western most part of NE.

Distant from Mt Rushmore, but may help if reservations are tough. Spearfish KOA (2hrs), Devil's Tower wy (3hrs), BJ's campground Lusk, wy (3hrs)

Enjoy!

There were only two XB70's built, AV-1 and AV-2. AV-2 crashed after a midair collision with an F-104 on June 8, 1966. The other, AV-1 is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. I think the aircraft you're talking about being on display is the B1B Lancer, one of the few on display.

sourdough
05-29-2020, 05:10 PM
I think John is right. The only XB70 left (of 2) is in Dayton, OH. B1Bs are still in circulation.

I suspect Ellsworth has the B1B which has the 28th wing located there. The 2 don't look alike. The other B1B wing is at Dyess AFB in Abilene TX which I travel through all the time. The B1B is impressive in flight and on takeoff feels like it's going to move you around. It looks large and impressive but to me, the B52 upon takeoff and landing makes me always wonder "how" in the world that thing can get off the ground. Used to watch them all the time out of Amarillo AFB and just watched in wonderment.

Off track of the thread and do not want to hijack, just seemed like a spot to talk a bit about huge planes since they were mentioned. Sorry.

notanlines
05-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Well, let me jump on this hijacked thread (We'll blame it all on Steve for wanting to go to South Dakota) I was visiting my brother at Memphis Int'l and he said let's ride and I'll show you a one-of-a-kind. The Russian Antonov An-225 Mriya was parked on the east side of the airport, having transported 3 large industrial fans for a factory in north Mississippi. And yes, it is freaking LARGE!
Steve when staying in Mitchell, stay at the Dakota Campground on the west end, right off the interstate. Nice people, very easy pull thru sites, cheap.
(605) 996-9432

Laredo Tugger
05-30-2020, 04:41 AM
Ironic timing of this thread. I just booked an extended stay at Fort Welikit RV park in July. All the great info on the area is appreciated.
Thanks.
RMc

+Ruff Rider
05-30-2020, 05:01 AM
I have towed my 34'er on highway 20. I didn't have any problems. Lots of small towns and tractors on the road. Some folks are sloooow there lol. I was raised in Ford Dodge so I know a little about that route. I took that same road when we went to S.D. I have been to Mount Rushmore twice. The first time there was a simple parking lot and there were not many people there. Not since the put lights out there there are lots of visitors. You can buy things from shops right there. Very commercialized. I like to go just not a fan of what they did.

Laredo Tugger
05-30-2020, 05:24 AM
+RVff Rider: "Very commercialized. I like to go just not a fan of what they did."

What they did was develop a "tourist attraction". Not untypical of many places around the country and you can't blame them for wanting to generate local economy to support employees and services. That's just what happens.
I grew up near Disneyland in SOCAL and saw the same thing. Their mistake was they didn't purchase surrounding land and a boom of hotels sprawled up around that park. They fixed that problem in Florida and surrounded themselves with useless swampland. Look at Dollywood .That looked like pretty peaceful country until a certain set of boobs put it on the map.
I guess "you can't stop progress" holds true in this case.
Thanks for the reply and info.
RMc

JRTJH
05-30-2020, 05:37 AM
Yup, it's called "progress"...

If you think of it in terms of "improving life", there wasn't internet available around Mt Rushmore until they put in the concrete parking lot... Same with the area around the Crazy Horse monument. That was just a "valley with a funny shaped hill" 60 years ago, and one "crazy old man with a box of dynamite".. Now, it's a valley with a funny shaped hill, the beginning of a "humongous statue" and a $12 a day parking lot (not yet concrete). Oh, and a couple of buildings filled with neat things from the surrounding Indian culture. Lots of "locals" work at both sites, sort of a "symbiotic relationship" with the internet provider... We pay the salaries for the locals that work there so they can buy internet (and pay rent on their apartment)… "Progress" :whistling:

Laredo Tugger
05-30-2020, 06:39 AM
And just to make clear my last post. I in no way am against Miss (or Mrs. whichever) Parton. She is a fantastic entertainer and very charitable as I understand. I do not follow her genre but I know she is well respected in her community both musically and professionally.
RMc

SummitPond
05-30-2020, 07:05 AM
Heading to Mount Rushmore in September. Need to make reservation in campgrounds for the drive to and from.<clip>

We have traveled parts of your potential route but not necessarily on the same trip.

I don't recall any issues on I-70, even through St. Louis. No issues on I-90 either. We looped through Denver before heading north to get to Custer (staying at BJ's in Lusk, mentioned above), which is definitely not a route you have time for.

We stayed at the KOA in Mitchell, SD. While there, if you have time be sure to visit the Corn Palace. Even if you are there at night, the outside of the building is something to behold. If you have time and are there when they are open go inside and view what they've done with the corn as well as learn about the history of the place. It used to be free to enter.

I second the recommendation regarding Custer State Park (even if you don't stay there be sure to drive through; some wonderful alternate views of Rushmore and other magnificent sights) and visiting the Minuteman II museum, silo and bunker. Recognize for a tour of the bunker you should visit the National Park website and make reservations. When we first visited there was a 24-hour preregistration requirement (which was not clear on the website) so we missed out. We made a special trip last year to see the site as well as the Badlands (which we missed the first time due to extremely bad weather when we were passing through). You don't want to be lugging your trailer down the roads to get to the silo or command bunker. I suspect you can unhook and park it at the museum, but I'd check with the Park Rangers inside first.

Enjoy your trip. Save travels.

GaryUT
05-30-2020, 01:44 PM
Cant comment on the route, we came from the west when we visited Rushmore.

For camping I would recommend Palmer gulch KOA. Its centrally located to the area attractions.

https://www.palmergulch.com/

Gary

Newk
05-31-2020, 05:22 AM
What is your concern about 20? Just two lanes and towns to slow travel, or road condition?

I drive Iowa a lot for work. Taking this same trip next week and unsure of route just like you!!! So thanks for the post!

I am serious thinking about 20. It is 4 lane part of the way. 30 is another strong option. It’s 4 lane more of the way. I drive 80 a bunch, and tow equipment on it a lot. 78 MPH is my standard, and can’t always do that uphill as semis like to have slow truck races up those hills on 80. Not sure I want to tie my RV that fast that far. I also would rather see the country more and let kids see these little towns across Iowa. However, 30 and 20 both bypass a lot of them anymore. Honestly, I think all 3 options are similar time, and have their pros and cons. 30 heads south at the end of the state, so will have to leave it after Ames.

I also drive 380 a bunch. Lots of traffic until past Cedar Rapids, also construction. But after that, it is a nice road and not too much traffic. DO NOT SPEED in Cedar Rapids. They have cameras about every other overhead sign. (Or so I’ve heard...) :)

fatcatzzz
05-31-2020, 07:22 AM
I just did route #2 two weeks ago and was good drive. St. Louis was a little crazy but not terrible.

DennisD
06-04-2020, 07:32 AM
All of the suggestion were good. One additional, don’t miss the Badlands. Just East of the minuteman site. A bypass takes you through the park and comes out at Wall where you should go to Wall Drug just so you can see what the 120 signs leading up to it are all about. Great for cowboy boots and a glass of water. Time wise you are really cutting it close. Things to see are Caves, Custer State Park, Needles Hwy in the Park (no trailer on it). Deadwood, Devils Tower, Wineries, gun fight in the street, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, no time to be bored. Did I mention a real good zip line. Badlands gets really hot, so if you plan on hiking go in the morning or later in the day. Rock Colors are nicer then anyway. This is a great trip. We have done it a half dozen times.

rodgebone
06-04-2020, 07:58 AM
Cant comment on the route, we came from the west when we visited Rushmore.

For camping I would recommend Palmer gulch KOA. Its centrally located to the area attractions.

https://www.palmergulch.com/

Gary

i'll second Palmer Gulch...nice big park with heaps of amenities and only 6 miles from the mountain...Badlands and Devils Tower are a must (actually better than Rushmore IMHO)

Bnrc73
06-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Highway 20 across Iowa is a nice new almost all 4 lane. I would suggest you stay going north on I 35 to I 90 in Albert Lee MN. From there, you are about 530 miles straight west to Rapid City. Nice KOA in Sioux Falls. From there you can make Rapid City in less than 6 hrs. (420 miles)

jkmcbride54
06-04-2020, 10:16 AM
I've traveled a similar route at least 50 times over the past 10 years going on I-70 between St.Louis and Kansas City then taking I-435 around Kansas City, then I-29 North to Council Bluffs. One area to watch out for is in St.Louis :eek:, don't take I-70 after crossing the Mississippi River into St.Louis instead continue straight on I-64 the distance is about the same and I-64 connects back onto I-70 on the west side of St.Louis. The I-70 stretch though St.Louis is extremely rough. I haven't traveled through St.Louis in the last couple of years so I-70 might be fixed but I would definitely take I-64 through St.Louis. Of course if you like thrill rides, dodging pot holes and enormous bumps then by all means take the I-70 adventure through St.Louis.:popcorn:
Hope you have a great trip to the badlands and Mt.Rushmore!

rsthomis
06-04-2020, 11:06 AM
Custer State Park is a.favorite. Another pleasant surprise was Bear Butte state Park. There's not much at BBSP but a lake you can fish in, but it's quiet and easy to get to. Happy Trails!

RK1978
06-04-2020, 02:24 PM
We came back from SD to our home in western Indiana a few years ago, and found US 20 across Iowa to be a pretty decent route. I had to go to NW Iowa last fall for parts and 20 is now a very nice 4 lane road. I prefer it to 80 because of less traffic and fewer vehicles running at high speeds. Also it is easier to see the country than from 80. I will second those that mention Mitchell SD and the Corn Palace, we had a good time touring it. There are several decent RV parks along this route, find the ones that fit your schedule. The Badlands were an unexpected pleasure when we were out there, also made the "mandatory" stop at Wall Drug. We enjoyed Crazy Horse much more than Rushmore, but everyone's tastes are different.
We stayed at Beaver Lake CG near Custer SD and found it to be a very pleasant operation and would use it again.
Enjoy your trip.
PR

KSH
06-07-2020, 09:54 PM
All of the suggestion were good. One additional, don’t miss the Badlands. Just East of the minuteman site. A bypass takes you through the park and comes out at Wall where you should go to Wall Drug just so you can see what the 120 signs leading up to it are all about. Great for cowboy boots and a glass of water. Time wise you are really cutting it close. Things to see are Caves, Custer State Park, Needles Hwy in the Park (no trailer on it). Deadwood, Devils Tower, Wineries, gun fight in the street, Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, no time to be bored. Did I mention a real good zip line. Badlands gets really hot, so if you plan on hiking go in the morning or later in the day. Rock Colors are nicer then anyway. This is a great trip. We have done it a half dozen times.What are all those signs about!! I've been wondering for weeks...

DennisD
06-08-2020, 02:46 AM
See Wall Drug etc,etc, etc for at least 120 times on I90. Get the kids to count them gives tem something to do.

JRTJH
06-08-2020, 03:56 AM
The question about signs brings back the old practice of multiple signs to relay a message... Burma Shave was (I believe) the "king of signs" with their 5 sign messages placed along the roadway in farmer's fields. Back when drugstores were where shaving products were bought, it seemed every privately owned drug store had Burma Shave signs leading into town from every direction.

Par4x4
06-09-2020, 06:14 AM
We are making a similar trip this August from SW Missouri. We're going through KC but then heading west on I-80 to Kearney, NB on the first day then up to Palmer Gulch KOA from the south on the second day. I went to Mt. Rushmore 45 years ago and did Wall Drug, Mitchell South Dakota, the Badlands way back then. This time I'm taking my wife and dog. We'll probably come back I-90 and then south through Iowa.

Roscommon48
06-09-2020, 09:45 AM
see the faces at night....neat.

Canonman
06-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Both Rushmore and Crazy Horse night programs are well worth seeing!
Rushmore's program is very patriotic.