PDA

View Full Version : Camp grounds taking advantage???

ptpick
05-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Maybe this is a little conspiracy theory.... .Now that my state is opening up (finally) we have been planning our weekend trips. Our big week long and two week long trips are set and no cancelling. I went to reserve for these weekend trips and was shocked to see how much more expensive these campgrounds are compared to just last year. Example; KOA on North Oregon coast (closed for the last 3 months, covid) open on June 6. I wanted a deluxe, full, 50A pull through last weekend in June. Last year approx $75.00 now same site $140.00 per day. Am I the only one seeing this huge price increase. This KOA is not the only campground that I have checked on with this concern. Is someone taking advantage of the concern we are having in our nation?

gearhead
05-28-2020, 11:40 AM
No.
Just no.

chuckster57
05-28-2020, 11:43 AM
Supply and demand.

Canonman
05-28-2020, 11:56 AM
Around here, Forest Service (Federal), State Parks and BLM have not changed. Private RV parks are probably trying to make up for lost revenue and are able to charge what ever the customer will put up with do to pent up demand.

notanlines
05-28-2020, 11:59 AM
I only know the three RV parks we used coming to Wisconsin. Prices were the same as last year and the one even in Wisconsin Dells (Bonanza RV Resort in super downtown Dells) is exactly the same as last year: FHU, $45/nite. And this is a first-class park. We do stay at KOA's on occasion, but they are pricey.

sourdough
05-28-2020, 12:48 PM
We did not notice when we came to FL but that was the 1st week of May. 2 locations had went up from our trip last year but one had been taken over by a new owner and was trying to expand (and they no longer accepted PA) and the 2nd had decided to offer free, good wifi instead of charging by the day for it so they went up $5 night.

Pull Toy
05-28-2020, 12:55 PM
Our usual "go to" didn't have an increase, BUT... Pools closed, Laundromat by Appointment. Rec Hall CLOSED. Distancing enforced for groups of six or less. No large parties, NO GUESTS. Possibly adjusting measures July 1.

Why bother, dug a fire pit in the back yard, and will camp out on the back lawn til at least 7/15. H*ll can't leave the site anyhow!

Good Luck,

wiredgeorge
05-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Good Lord! $140 a night? You had best move to Texas... no jacking up of campground prices near as I can tell anywhere in the civilized parts of our state; haven't checked Houston, DFW, Austin or San Antonio areas as I don't go to those places.

JGEORGE
05-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Our local area lake went up ten dollars but they no longer charge the $7 per pet. So there is that.

NH_Bulldog
05-28-2020, 02:54 PM
We stayed at a few KOA’s last year so I checked what I paid vs. what I would pay for the same days this year and found no price difference. Most of our stays are at State Parks and have seen no increases there either.

ptpick
05-28-2020, 03:03 PM
Boy I wish we could stay at state parks but they continue to be closed for camping.

+Ruff Rider
05-28-2020, 03:30 PM
I find KOA expensive even though I am a member. I do however think that campgrounds will be crowded every weekend for a while. I am not surprised that prices are going up. It's like every weekend is the 4th of July

NH_Bulldog
05-28-2020, 04:15 PM
One issue with KOA is that they are independently owned franchises. Like most franchises they pay a set fee plus a percentage of their “take”. Unfortunately some of those fees are due whether you have customers or not. In areas where camping is seasonal, it can be expensive to operate snd raising prices might be the only way they can hope to survive.

Our plans this past weekend were cancelled at a KOA because their state said no out of state campers and no more than 25% capacity. Out of 92 sites, they had just 3 campers there when they are usually booked solid from Memorial Day to Labor day.

flybouy
05-28-2020, 04:51 PM
From my experience the KOAs seem to be located closer to the highway and the attractions. Therefore the costs for the land and the demand is greater. A lot like hotel rates, they are always higher near the airport or tourist attractions.

notanlines
05-28-2020, 04:59 PM
In defense of KOA, I just called the people at KOA Astoria Seaside in Hammond, Oregon and the rate is $84.00, FHU, and the rate last year was $80.00. Just sayin'....
ON edit, let me say this woman who answered (Can't reserve online) was brusque to the point of being rude. I used 2 adults, no kids, no pets, and 34' 5th wheel as my base info to her.

LHaven
05-28-2020, 05:35 PM
Here's something to think about: unless campgrounds make enough money to add slots, you may not be able to get reservations in the near future. As vacationers shun airlines and cruise lines, RVing gonna be zoomin', folks..

ptpick
05-28-2020, 05:42 PM
Wow, thats amazing, I actually was in their office today. Maybe I will try and call tomorrow maybe get better results. Thank you!

ptpick
05-28-2020, 05:45 PM
Here's something to think about: unless campgrounds make enough money to add slots, you may not be able to get reservations in the near future. As vacationers shun airlines and cruise lines, RVing gonna be zoomin', folks..

Yep, we are seeing this as well. We are getting the 5'r out this weekend for the first of the season and trying to book more sites but it is tough.

Eastham
05-28-2020, 06:04 PM
$140.00 a night.

Walmart and cracker barrel are starting to look pretty good.

04ctd
05-28-2020, 06:10 PM
friend works RV place, they sold 28 RV's last week

so you better get your spot picked out & paid up!!

Randallf
05-28-2020, 06:33 PM
We were camping @the KOA in Corvallis Or a couple of weeks ago and the price
Was the same as last year
I also booked a few days in August and paid the same
I think the one on the coast is price gouging. should be reported to the attorney general
Randallf
2017 Sprinter FW

+Ruff Rider
05-29-2020, 06:07 AM
As someone else stated no out of state campers allowed. My season is over because we like to travel. There is so much to see that we just love going to different states. We have seen most everything here in Ca. We are still mostly locked down. Can't get a hair cut in the Bay Area till late July.

Steve's 70-5
05-29-2020, 08:37 AM
News story here said RV sales up. Easy way to self contain.

Start reserving that site.

Probably will be some good deals on used equipment in a few years.

mikz86ta
05-29-2020, 08:41 AM
Supply and demand.
Probably also trying to make up for lost revenue. The park we are at went up last year....owner claimed he has not gone up on rates in years. This hike was a bit much imo. But, he has done some improvements and I heard he just bought a 3rd park miles away.
But since COVID19, they have had limited reservations, no cabin camping, no tent camping and their pool & bathrooms & showers are closed. They actually had to tell people with RVs, they can't use the shower and bathroom at the park. I bought my 5er with amenities so I wouldn't have to use anyone elses. Baffled why on full hookups you need to use the parks facility.
But anyway, they are losing revenue for the past 2.5 months with 10 tent, 14 cabin rooms vacant

rlh1957
06-07-2020, 08:08 AM
It is supply & demand. I don’t like it or think it’s good. But what ya gonna do?
We are going to find more of old prices disappearing. Have you been watching the RV and media news of RV sales going so high. People are choosing vacation in a safe social distanced mode of camping.
Not only higher camp prices because if demand, but more people means fewer reservations available. I feel even state parks prices will rise. The money they lost during this quarantine and mandated closures will have cut into Priofits that they use in off season for repairs, sewer, electric and amenity upgrades.

What I do think is after many stir crazy new campers go through this year or maybe another season they discover camping isn’t for them. Then there will be a flood of recent model RV’s on the used market with only two or three trips. Some with only one trip!

rodgebone
06-08-2020, 12:39 PM
In defense of KOA, I just called the people at KOA Astoria Seaside in Hammond, Oregon and the rate is $84.00, FHU, and the rate last year was $80.00. Just sayin'....
ON edit, let me say this woman who answered (Can't reserve online) was brusque to the point of being rude. I used 2 adults, no kids, no pets, and 34' 5th wheel as my base info to her.

Just for reference I stayed at this KOA (Astoria/Warrenton) 3x recently. last time was January 2020: $43/night FHU cable/wifi pull thru (2 adults/pet/33' trailer). granted, it was not a deluxe site, was off season and was before the virus. also stayed in one of their deluxe cabins last Nov - was $118 night. saved about $5/night w/my membership. this is a huge KOA with more amenities than average but is a pretty noisy place even on a quiet day. Ft Stevens State Park across the road is much nicer at $32 FHU & some Oregon state parks will reopen to camping tomorrow (June 9). unfortunately the coastal parks will take longer but im betting by July 4th. I dont see them wanting to lose THAT revenue (virus or no virus)

rlh1957
06-08-2020, 12:56 PM
I agree with Rogebone’s approach... where have you not seen prices increase over the years?
5% even up to 10% we see even when there isn’t a global event.
Some campgrounds provide general camp information, but with things still fluid and varying by state you have to call to reserve. Changing information on their website daily requires time or maybe whomever manages their site charges.

ptpick
06-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I did call back and did get the same cost $140 FH/50Amp/deluxe/pull through for 35' 5th wheel. I actually choose no deluxe 30 amp pull through fo $65.

I really like this KOA because of size and amenities they are awesome.Signs of the times I suppose for cost though.

B-O-B'03
06-08-2020, 03:35 PM
We had reservations for 3 nights, starting Sunday June 7, at the Preston Bend COE park on Lake Texoma and with my senior pass they were $11/night.

The site is water and electric only with a dump station near by.

Not a bad deal.

-Brian

DarkElf
06-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Here in NH at our favorite (privately owned) campground we pay $49 a night with full hookups and our site is right on the shore on the crystal clear lake - we have our own water access and small strip of beach.
And, no jacking up of the rates from last year either.
$140 per night is highway robbery! :nonono:

donajohn
06-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Our usual "go to" didn't have an increase, BUT... Pools closed, Laundromat by Appointment. Rec Hall CLOSED. Distancing enforced for groups of six or less. No large parties, NO GUESTS. Possibly adjusting measures July 1.

Why bother, dug a fire pit in the back yard, and will camp out on the back lawn til at least 7/15. H*ll can't leave the site anyhow!

Good Luck,

Sounds like the campground we WERE going to in Maine. We cancelled. Will stay in FLA heat until August.

LHaven
06-12-2020, 02:59 AM
What I do think is after many stir crazy new campers go through this year or maybe another season they discover camping isn’t for them. Then there will be a flood of recent model RV’s on the used market with only two or three trips. Some with only one trip!

Agreed. Unfortunately I don't need another RV... but I do expect to be thumbing through some great gun deals, for the same reasons. :cool:

NH_Bulldog
06-12-2020, 04:39 PM
We just booked our yearly 3-week Great Lakes trip (summer tour around all the lakes). We mostly stay in state parks with a power hook-up for our transient stays but stay at private campgrounds with full hook-ups for our 4-5 night stays along the route. I keep records of everything and this year’s cost are spot on with what we spent last year. Availability is good and we had no issues with finding sites at any of the public, private, state or provincial parks we booked.