PDA

View Full Version : No Holding Tank Gauges?

nickofosho
05-28-2020, 07:31 AM
My father in law just purchased a used Sun Valley 212 travel trailer. I believe it is a 2004. I know this isn't a Keystone trailer, but since Sun Valley doesn't exist anymore, I figured this was as good a place to ask as any.

The trailer doesn't seem to have any gauges for the holding tanks. In my experience, I've never come across a RV without holding tank gauges. I've searched the entire trailer and can't find any.

Is this unusual? Any secret places the manufacturer might have hid the gauges?

Thanks in advance for any info/help!

JRTJH
05-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Many (maybe even most) entry level trailers in the 1990's and early 2000's didn't have holding tank gauges. If it did, there will be "evidence of where the unit was mounted on an interior wall, probably very close to the thermostat. There'll be a hole for the wiring harness and two screw holes where the unit was mounted..

Additionally, if the holding tanks are visible under the RV, look for the sensors and wiring harness. They will be mounted on a tank end (usually roadside) and will consist of 4 sensors in "stepped height configuration" and a very thin gauge 4 color wiring harness connected to the sensors.

travelin texans
05-28-2020, 07:59 AM
Even if it had the sensors, they are typically useless in providing any where near accurate information.

nickofosho
05-28-2020, 08:02 AM
Many (maybe even most) entry level trailers in the 1990's and early 2000's didn't have holding tank gauges. If it did, there will be "evidence of where the unit was mounted on an interior wall, probably very close to the thermostat. There'll be a hole for the wiring harness and two screw holes where the unit was mounted..

Additionally, if the holding tanks are visible under the RV, look for the sensors and wiring harness. They will be mounted on a tank end (usually roadside) and will consist of 4 sensors in "stepped height configuration" and a very thin gauge 4 color wiring harness connected to the sensors.

Ok, thanks! This is news to me. But it is definitely an entry level trailer. I didn't look at the tanks under the trailer. I'll check that out.

Hblick48
05-28-2020, 08:02 AM
You could install the SeeLevel gauge. Actually works.

sourdough
05-28-2020, 08:56 AM
Until the last several years many/most entry level trailers did not have them. I never had any for years and years. I've had them for years now and after the first year trying to get them to work accurately I gave up. I use my tanks, and monitor them as I did for decades before....by paying attention to them and letting them tell me when "it's time". I have not even looked at the monitor on this new trailer one time.