PDA

View Full Version : LED Strip Lighting Under Awning

CDAG02
05-28-2020, 07:21 AM
Has anyone had to replace the strip lighting under the awning? I bought a 2015 Bullet used and am guessing the lighting was put in at the factory. Half of the lights are not working so looking to just buy a replacement strip without the need to rewire everything. Any brands out there that you recommend?

JRTJH
05-28-2020, 07:33 AM
If you're looking for "basic lighting" without the frills of color changing, fast follow, flashing or strobe light options, this is what I bought in 2016 for my awning. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX2KGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Back then it was about $20, now it's a bit more, around $40 or so. It comes with a silicone sheath that makes it 100% waterproof if you use clear silicone to seal the ends of the sheath after you cut it to size. Mine are going on 4 years old and every LED still works.

It's bright, there's no option to dim or change colors or any other "features". It's "just a soft, non-blue light strip".

Mastrblastr
05-29-2020, 05:29 AM
I upgraded my awning a while back and had to install a new light strip as the old one was attached to the awning. Went with one similar to the one JRTJH installed except I went with the bright white instead. The original one I had had LED's about an 1-1/2" spacing and was adequate for lighting. The light strip I installed have LED's much closer together so there is WAY more lights. The first time I switched them on at night I was like "WHOA!!!! That's bright!!" It's actually too bright for my liking. I should have gone with a soft white instead, or maybe tried to find a strip with fewer LED's. The strip I installed is 16.4' and has 300 LED's. Half as many would have been fine.

flybouy
05-29-2020, 05:35 AM
I upgraded my awning a while back and had to install a new light strip as the old one was attached to the awning. Went with one similar to the one JRTJH installed except I went with the bright white instead. The original one I had had LED's about an 1-1/2" spacing and was adequate for lighting. The light strip I installed have LED's much closer together so there is WAY more lights. The first time I switched them on at night I was like "WHOA!!!! That's bright!!" It's actually too bright for my liking. I should have gone with a soft white instead, or maybe tried to find a strip with fewer LED's. The strip I installed is 16.4' and has 300 LED's. Half as many would have been fine.

Are they dimmable? Check the packaging they came in if they are dimmable LEDs then you can add in a dimmer to the circuit. I don't like the bright "used car lot" lighting either.

Mastrblastr
05-29-2020, 05:43 AM
Not dimmable Flybuoy as I bought a cheap strip (serves me right). Looked at that as an option after I turned them on and saw it was like a tanning booth!

For what they cost I might get a dimmable strip and just replace it and install a dimmer switch when we are out camping. Not a hard job really

flybouy
05-29-2020, 05:59 AM
Not dimmable Flybuoy as I bought a cheap strip (serves me right). Looked at that as an option after I turned them on and saw it was like a tanning booth!

For what they cost I might get a dimmable strip and just replace it and install a dimmer switch when we are out camping. Not a hard job really

I bought a cheap, multicolor dimmable set for about $30 when CW was asking over $120 for a white non dimmable string (this was a few years ago). The first set lasted me over 2 years. So I calculated that at that rate I could replace them 6 times over a ~12 yr period. So I ordered 2 spare sets. I still have one set remaining 6 years later. I like the dimmable as we used to camp with our daughter. As she has a pop up we became the bathhouse.:) I'd leave the lights on very low and with a blue green hue so you could just see not to trip over the chairs and junk .

mikz86ta
05-29-2020, 08:53 AM
This one attached to the awning tube or attached to the side of the RV?

Our Carefree of Colorado awning has a strip that's on the tube. We could replace it with a stick-on LED but Carefree does sell their replacement part on their website. It's way overpriced tho.
We also have the Fuzion 420 5th wheel with side patio and we have a second strip attached to the RV side that shines outward. It's available at TerkwoodRV website replacement parts.

But honestly, just go to a LED specialize store online, pick one that's outdoor use, and has 3M adhesive tape at minimum. You can get color change, dimmable, etc. Just needs to be 12volt to hook up to you existing wires

calltrex
06-08-2020, 08:01 PM
boogylights are high quality.

installed on last trailer

https://www.boogeylights.com/