PDA

View Full Version : has anyone moved the battery from hitch to inside?

calltrex
05-26-2020, 06:51 PM
has anyone moved the battery from hitch to inside the front storage locker?

i hate it out there and worry about it getting stolen

just ditched our 20ft for a new premier 34ft RPIR

may move and put dual batts inside front locker

chuckster57
05-26-2020, 06:53 PM
They do make lockable battery boxes. My concern would be drilling holes and loss of storage.

Logan X
05-26-2020, 07:33 PM
I have had a battery stolen off of the tongue. I don’t want to move the batteries inside because I don’t want to drill holes and loose the storage like Chuckster said. Also, I don’t want to deal with venting the batteries.

I have two six volt batteries in one box. The little box next to the battery box is for the battery monitor shunt.

I just wrap a chain around the battery box, lock it with a pad lock, and call it good.

440justin
05-26-2020, 09:32 PM
Unless you are going to the very high $ lithium battery I am not sure it is worth the space you loose in the storage area. If you do move them inside remember they needed to be vented if you are using flooded cell battery.

mikec557
06-24-2020, 05:12 AM

I have two six volt batteries in one box. The little box next to the battery box is for the battery monitor shunt...

What kind of box did you use for your Shunt and how or where did you attach it?
Thanks

Cyberian
06-24-2020, 08:17 AM
I put ours in a locking Harbor Freight tongue box and added hasps & padlocks. Looks like I need to repaint it, it's been on there 5 or 6 years I think

The Cig lighter socket is for my macerator

mikec557
06-24-2020, 08:38 AM
I put ours in a locking Harbor Freight tongue box and added hasps & padlocks. Looks like I need to repaint it, it's been on there 5 or 6 years I think

The Cig lighter socket is for my macerator

Interesting. How did you fasten down that box? Screws through the floor into the top of the tongue frame?

Cyberian
06-24-2020, 09:00 AM
Interesting. How did you fasten down that box? Screws through the floor into the top of the tongue frame?

Yes. I used #8 or #10 hex washer head self drilling screws and thick fender washers.

I put grommets in all holes drilled through the box for cables

The cable colors don't all correspond to the polarity. The auto parts store was out of ground cables of the length I needed

When I do it on our next trailer, I'll look for an aluminum brite-tread box but mat have to beef up the bottom to hold two group 27 batteries

mikec557
06-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Yes. I used #8 or #10 hex washer head self drilling screws and thick fender washers.

I put grommets in all holes drilled through the box for cables

The cable colors don't all correspond to the polarity. The auto parts store was out of ground cables of the length I needed

When I do it on our next trailer, I'll look for an aluminum brite-tread box but mat have to beef up the bottom to hold two group 27 batteries

Thanks, that's good to know. We just bought a used trailer with 2 Trojan CG6v batteries on the tongue. Great batteries but I have 2 group 27 battleborn lithiums I kept from the rv we sold, so I'll be looking for new battery boxes.

Logan X
06-24-2020, 03:17 PM
What kind of box did you use for your Shunt and how or where did you attach it?
Thanks

Here is the box I used

https://www.amazon.com/SOCKiTBOX-Weatherproof-Connection-Electrical-Enclosure/dp/B009RX5GI2

I attached it by mounting a piece of pressure treated lumber in the battery tray then I screws the battery box and shunt box into the wood.

mikec557
06-24-2020, 04:53 PM
Here is the box I used

https://www.amazon.com/SOCKiTBOX-Weatherproof-Connection-Electrical-Enclosure/dp/B009RX5GI2

I attached it by mounting a piece of pressure treated lumber in the battery tray then I screws the battery box and shunt box into the wood.

Thanks, that helps.