PDA

View Full Version : Nw member/owner Hideout 22KBSWE with Cold Mountain Package

LisaKarre
05-26-2020, 06:46 AM
Hi all,
So excited to be a part of this forum. We just purchased our very first RV...a used 2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE with the Cold Mountain Package. We are truly beginners here. When we purchased our trailer we were told that we would definitely be able to tow it with our 1997 Chevy Suburban 1500. After some research we're not sure it is ready to do the job. We plan to take the Suburban to an RV place to figure out what we need to do to it to make it a safe option for towing.
In the meantime, we have have been enjoying hanging out in the trailer and figuring out all the components and outfitting it. We're trying to be selective in what we put in the trailer as to keep the weight down.
We look forward to the knowledge and experience in this forum.
Thanks,
Dave and Lisa
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
1997 Chevy Suburban 1500

Logan X
05-26-2020, 07:50 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Canonman
05-26-2020, 08:21 AM
Welcome! You will find good folks here with lots of experience to share.
We pulled our first TT a 7,000 lb Wildwood, much like your Hideout, with a 1/2 ton P/U. I think you're going to find you will be at the maximum abilities and load limits for the Suburban. That said, the Most important addition will be a good weight distribution hitch. I'm sure you will find you are working the Suburban pretty hard and may not completely feel confident towing. We eventually upgraded our 1/2 ton for these exact reasons. Even if you wind up upgrading the Suburban the hitch can be reused on your next TV.

LisaKarre
05-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Thank you...we have been doing lots of research and are coming to the conclusion that it appears we will be maxing out our Suburban. We're not planning on doing a lot of travelling this year...we are looking to bring it to a couple events that will not be very far. We will tow the trailer with empty tanks for now. Most likely we will be looking to upgrade our vehicle.

GordKey22
06-14-2020, 06:30 PM
We just picked up the 'same' unit ourselves.

I am towing with a heavy duty F150 that has the factory installed trailer towing package, heavier suspension, transmission cooler, etc.
It is also pretty big. It has a full length box and an extended cab, 6 speed transmission. Plus I use a weight distributing hitch that I had checked to ensure that I had it adjusted properly.