PDA

View Full Version : Water pump growling loudly.

CANINE
05-22-2020, 03:49 PM
2015 Cougar 303RLS; do all the water pumps growl loudly?

Thanks in advance.

sourdough
05-22-2020, 04:38 PM
Yes. Does it work?

dutchmensport
05-22-2020, 04:51 PM
No. Actually, the water pumps themselves run very, very quiet. What you are hearing is the vibrations from the pump magnifying and amplifying through the pipes.

For what it's worth, my water pump is located right behind the wet bay. Its accessed by taking the wall off in the front cargo pass through, and located right there. We never hear the pump run there, even when we are right next to that area or inside the camper right above it. What we do hear is the vibrations pounding in the bathroom, which is near the middle-end of the camper, some 25 feet away. It sounds like the pump is right under the shower. But, it is not, as I've seen it behind the wet bay wall.

CANINE
05-22-2020, 05:02 PM
I could have swore I filled this tank up. Panel shows empty, no leaks. I guess when water backs out the whole it's not an indicator it's full. I'll raise the landing gear in the morn, pull over to the water, fill, then check gauge. Maiden voyage with this 5er so using experience as a learned lesson..........jeezzz.

sourdough
05-22-2020, 05:02 PM
The sound of the pump is going to be loud because they do absolutely nothing to dampen the noise or take measures to isolate it. I've never had one that wasn't. The noise can be quietened by insulating it, putting rubber feet under it, making sure it isn't touching water lines etc. It's all in what you want to do to fix it. We don't use ours much anymore so no big deal. In every bumper pull we ever had it was oh so obvious. With the new 5th wheel I it's just a little "purr" down there somewhere. Bottom line is that the do "make noise" in a travel trailer. If you buy one and hook it up outside a trailer and use it for water dispensation you can barely hear it run.

Edit: Trust your eyes, not the "gauges".

Cbrez
05-22-2020, 06:46 PM
We had the same problem. Water pump is directly below the bed, so it would wake anyone trying to sleep. Even though the pumps have rubber feet, putting an isolation pad under the pump and installing soft tubing between the pump and PEX lines quiets the pump considerably.

There are many threads on this subject. Do a search for “Is there a quiet water pump”

flybouy
05-23-2020, 03:55 AM
Changing the mounting will help remove the noise under the pump. The vibration and resulting noise from the water lines vibrating against the structure will remain. Two things can help that. A pump silencing kit which replaces the water lines connected to the pump. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-591-01-Pump-Silencing-Kit/dp/B000WN5F96
The second item is an accumulator tank. It serves to 2 functions to both reduce the water line "hammering" downstream and reduce the need for pump cycling during short uses. Here's an example of that: https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-591-01-Pump-Silencing-Kit/dp/B000WN5F96

CANINE
05-23-2020, 06:19 AM
Thanks to all for the info. I did a short haul to the potable water and filled the tank. Carefully not turning water on high so backflowing out the hole doesn't occur. Took a bit to fill so it was definitely empty. Once filled got set back up and gauge read 1/3..... ? Guess it's true, trust your eyes not the gauge. Thanks again.

CANINE
05-23-2020, 06:21 AM
O, and pump isn't hammering as bad.....

travelin texans
05-23-2020, 06:27 AM
Thanks to all for the info. I did a short haul to the potable water and filled the tank. Carefully not turning water on high so backflowing out the hole doesn't occur. Took a bit to fill so it was definitely empty. Once filled got set back up and gauge read 1/3..... ? Guess it's true, trust your eyes not the gauge. Thanks again.

FYI!
The gauges/sensors for your black/grey holding tanks are even less accurate.

JRTJH
05-23-2020, 06:41 AM

The only gauge (actually idiot lights) that I'm concerned with is the fresh water tank level. Typically, those tank sensors don't get fouled as easily as the gray or black tank sensors.

If your FW tank sensors are not working, it may be the tank sensor connections. If you can access the (usually roadside) edge of the FW tank, you should find 4 electrical connectors with very thin electrical wires connected. If the level gauge doesn't work when you push the button, often it's because those wires are loose. For me, the FW tank sensors are the only ones I try to keep functional.