PDA

View Full Version : New camper owner=Excited! but questions...

zsulli
05-19-2020, 07:51 AM
Hi all! My wife and I picked up a 2017 Keystone Springdale trailer last night, purchased from the original owner. We're super excited to visit some of the awesome lakes/parks around our area. I have a couple of questions that I've been researching online and through these forums, but I wanted to go ahead and post them for the community to get some experienced advice.

1. I'm towing with a 2019 Chevy Silverado with the tow package and OEM trailer brake control. As soon as I plugged the trailer into the 7-way connector on my truck bumper while sitting in the driveway the truck showed a message on the dash "check trailer wiring" then after several seconds "trailer brake connected". The seller stated that when he bought the trailer new he had a Ford truck and it never did that, but he traded to a Chevy and it began doing the same thing to him. He replaced the plug on the trailer wire (not sure what brand), and ran a new ground wire from the trailer battery to the A frame, but neither fixed the issue. I continued to get these messages and the 'ding' ding' in my truck off and on for an hour and a half driving home. All of the lights on the trailer continued to stay lit up. The trailer brake light in the truck would go off then come back on when it showed it was connected. My first inclination was loose connection to the receptacle on my bumper, but I don't think that's it due to the issue happening while sitting still. Any advice on where to go next before taking it to an RV service center?

2. I can't find that the trailer has a battery disconnect switch. Do I need to unhook the battery when the trailer is parked idle and not plugged in? There's a Jensen radio and gas detector inside the trailer that are staying lit up, and I assume those will eventually drain the battery.

travelin texans
05-19-2020, 08:11 AM
Can't help with the truck wiring!
Even if the trailer has a battery disconnect it WILL NOT totally disconnect all battery drains, your batteries will be dead in a week or so. Either disconnect the batteries or add a disconnect to either the negative cable that goes to the frame (my choice), the primary positive cable or both if it makes you happy.

Logan X
05-19-2020, 10:50 AM
For the wiring issue, you can try cleaning the connections on the 7 way with a wire brush or something like that and then add some dielectric grease in there to create a better, weather resistant, connection.

The battery needs to be totally disconnected if the trailer is in storage and not connected to power. If it were me, I would remove the battery and put a smart charger on it. I just leave my trailer plugged in all the time, which keeps the batteries charged.