PDA

View Full Version : Screws rusting

ljp
05-16-2020, 08:26 AM
While checking the trailer this morning I discovered a few screws securing a window were rusting. Has anyone had any problems removing the old screws to replace them?

What is the best sealant to use around a window?

Thanks.....

chuckster57
05-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Which window? I think the screws that hold any window in are on the interior. Rust would be from condensation. There are weep holes on the bottom frame to allow excess moisture to drain. Some factories will use silicone on the OUTSIDE top and side edges, some use ProSeal.

ljp
05-16-2020, 05:21 PM
The exterior side of the emergency window is the area in question.

On closer inspection of this window this afternoon I see there is a screw securing each end of the hinge to the trailer that allows the window to go up/down. No problem with these two screws.

There are several rusted items just below and across the top edge of this fixture further securing it to the trailer that I believed were rusty screws. These are not screws but appear to be rivets.

What would be the best fix to eliminate my concern about the rusty items.

I checked on a sealant and found GeoCel ProFlex RV flexible sealant was available and I purchased a couple ten ounce tubes. Reportedly made specific for RV's.

Thanks again.

chuckster57
05-16-2020, 06:36 PM
You can use a model paint brush, spray the correct color into a paper cup. Let it sit for a minute and then use the brush to dab the rust spots. Be sure to clean the rust with a non paint dissolving liquid. I use denatured alcohol.