PDA

View Full Version : Replace Front Entry Door

Skippy38
05-14-2020, 06:31 AM
Has anyone had to replace their entire front entry door? Can the door itself be changed or will I have to replace the entire door/screen/frame assembly? I noticed that the interior of the door is showing a lot of horizontal cracks and the exterior window frame is also cracking in 4 places, most likely due to the heat in Florida and the direction it is stored. Can the inside of the door be re skinned? I will be travelling soon so it will not be oriented towards the sun all the time like it is now but it appears that the damage has already been done.

chuckster57
05-14-2020, 06:46 AM
Replacement window frames are readily available, you may be able to resin the interior surface. If replacement is required then it’s bought as an entire assembly that includes the door, screen and frame. It’s not a hard job, shipping is going to be your biggest cost. If you open the door all the way there should be a tag on the edge of the door with information you’ll need to get the right one.

If there are any decals on the door, you’ll need to order those too if they are available. Decals aren’t cheap!!

Skippy38
05-14-2020, 07:00 AM
Thanks. I see the tag on the inside of the door so getting the right one does not seem hard. It looks like the entire frame is held on by a screw on either side at both sides on the bottom of the door. If those are removed, and the window/frame and door lock is removed, will it slide off and allow replacement of the interior skin that is damaged?

JRTJH
05-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Rather than "reskin" the interior panel, have you considered some of the paint/fiberglass products that are used to resurface countertops or ????

As for the outside window molding, now would be an excellent time to install a new "clear window with a pull down shade" in place of the "obscure glass window" typically found in RV's. The window kit comes with new glass, the frames for inside/outside and the pulldown shade. Just remove the old one, install the new one. Costs about $80 most places.

Skippy38
05-14-2020, 08:40 AM
Rather than "reskin" the interior panel, have you considered some of the paint/fiberglass products that are used to resurface countertops or ????

As for the outside window molding, now would be an excellent time to install a new "clear window with a pull down shade" in place of the "obscure glass window" typically found in RV's. The window kit comes with new glass, the frames for inside/outside and the pulldown shade. Just remove the old one, install the new one. Costs about $80 most places.

I had not considered the paint/fiberglass products but now I will. The heat has caused several horizontal cracks across the entire interior of the door so it may look bad if it was not done perfectly. I am looking at the tinted window with the shade kit, they look great. I will definitely upgrade to one of those when I take the door off...