PDA

View Full Version : Dish playmaker connection problems

rshipyor
05-10-2020, 12:35 PM
I have a dish playmaker and Wally reciever i just purchased and a. 2018 cougar halfton 25RES while trying to set up the player I tried hooking it up for the first time I connected it to the coxial post on the outside where the control area is with the dump valves are and the reciever to with cable post behind the tv but got got no reception. When I hoop the dish directly to the reciever and a small tv outside it worked what am I doing wrong and how do I connect it correctly.i would appreciate any help.

Ribtip
05-10-2020, 02:51 PM
2 things i can think of. 1 make sure that connection outside goes to that jack. If it does find all the splitters and change them to better quailty splitters that handle a digital connection.

rshipyor
05-10-2020, 03:24 PM
Thanks I will try to do that.

Wyldfire
05-10-2020, 03:29 PM
Do you have a short jumper cable? If so remove it and hook Wally to one of the ports it was connected to. Mine is the bottom one.

rshipyor
05-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Do you have a short jumper cable? If so remove it and hook Wally to one of the ports it was connected to. Mine is the bottom one.
Not where main tv is . The jumper cable is in the bedroom tv area.

Ribtip
05-10-2020, 03:47 PM
Problem i had was the splitter behind the junction in the bed room on the ceiling would not carry a digital signal. Also the one in the bed room with the antenna amp on it would not work with my dish either . I have a dish on the roof and had to rewire some stuff to get it to work.i believe there is also a splitter behind the wall in the cargo hold that splits the sat plug from outside. they sell a cheap coaxial cable checker to trace your lines if you need. It comes in very handy to make sense of things. If you do a trace and you know you got the right wire and it still does not work you are missing a splitter somewhere.

rshipyor
05-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Thanks I will check on that.

Customer1
05-10-2020, 05:34 PM
Do you only have the one connection outside? Our 26RBS has two, one labeled cable and one labeled satellite. I expected trouble when first connected but all I did was connect the the satellite connection, turn off the booster and it worked.

rshipyor
05-10-2020, 05:57 PM
Yes just one and it’s not labeled

CedarCreekWoody
05-11-2020, 03:51 AM
I'm following along as I have a Playmaker on order and hoping I don't have connectivity issues. Chasing those cables could be a real challenge.

Ribtip
05-11-2020, 05:23 AM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/KLEIN-TOOLS-VDV512-100-Coax-Explor-2-Tester/781251479?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222228000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-51320962143&wl5=9021672&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=781251479&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWA-OjgkZcNtaQ331k3ftupRF_FrFfnc6fkdv8SbdWgllNBrC_X4H7 exoCdJcQAvD_BwE

Something like this should work for you.

rshipyor
05-11-2020, 06:23 AM
I called Keystone and they said it is dedicated to cable and a satellite system won’t work on it . Called my dealer and they suggested i drill a hole Thru my outside kitchen as the tv is on other side. So I’m not sure what to do.

JRTJH
05-11-2020, 08:25 AM
I called Keystone and they said it is dedicated to cable and a satellite system won’t work on it . Called my dealer and they suggested i drill a hole Thru my outside kitchen as the tv is on other side. So I’m not sure what to do.

Rather than "just drill a hole and run a cable through it, I'd suggest some "careful planning" then installing a "co-ax connector port" in the sidewall location you find best for your needs. The connector port is about $7 at most RV supply stores, provides a quick and easy means to attach a cable OUTSIDE the RV without having to disturb the interior cable/wiring. It makes it easier to connect/disconnect the cable for travel/towing.

Ribtip
05-11-2020, 08:52 AM
I agree with the above. Not sure about your camper layout but you can install that new input right next to the Existing one then ryn a new cable to the back of the tv and install a 2 output wall plate.

JRTJH
05-11-2020, 09:00 AM
I agree with the above. Not sure about your camper layout but you can install that new input right next to the Existing one then ryn a new cable to the back of the tv and install a 2 output wall plate.

Or install the new co-ax connector port on the outside of the RV so the "hole" is in the cupboard where the RV is mounted. Then just use a short co-ax cable to connect that port to the "already existing 2 port connector plate" behind the TV. That would essentially "disconnect the OEM port" but if it's not working for the intended satellite system, the "easy way to fix it" is to just leave it alone and bypass the existing system.

rshipyor
05-11-2020, 03:12 PM
For now is was able to drill a hole they the wall between the outdoor kitchen and below the tv so it is direct connection. Now it works great.

BruceEA
05-14-2020, 12:39 PM
The problem is that the Playmaker dish is not powered and there is not a power supply available for it at this time. I have the same problem that you do.

After many hours of research and with talking to the upper level tech support at Dish Network, the best (although expensive) option is to purchase a Winegard "Carry Out G3" dish. It has it's own power supply so it will power through the resistance caused by the KeyTV module. The least expensive source that I have found is Amazon at $400.00

The only other option is to drill holes in your RV and hard wire it direct to your Wally receiver.

CedarCreekWoody
05-14-2020, 01:36 PM
What problem are you referencing? The Playmaker gets its power from the receiver via the coax cable.

BruceEA
05-14-2020, 01:41 PM
Yes it does but it's not enough power to over come the resistance caused by the KeyTV multi-source switching module installed in most 2018 and newer Keystone products.

Jnich17
05-15-2020, 01:57 PM
I hard wired all 3 of my hookups in my 2019 Avalanche 375rd. It took a little time, but well worth the effort. Long run to den I just cut slits in bottom insulation cover and pulled with fish tape every 10 ft. I used black gorilla duct tape to seal up and you can't tell I even cut it.

ecsteele48
05-17-2020, 07:10 AM
I have a dish playmaker and Wally reciever i just purchased and a. 2018 cougar halfton 25RES while trying to set up the player I tried hooking it up for the first time I connected it to the coxial post on the outside where the control area is with the dump valves are and the reciever to with cable post behind the tv but got got no reception. When I hoop the dish directly to the reciever and a small tv outside it worked what am I doing wrong and how do I connect it correctly.i would appreciate any help.
Had same issue with 2016 Montana. Had to rewire with quad 4 cable. Not saying this is your issue but mine works great now.

Lewisiwade
05-17-2020, 07:49 AM
We have a 2018 Cougar that I bought the Wally and satellite for. Could not get to work. Discovered cable inside trailer come by from outside cable attachment for satellite was not there! Bought a 6’ cable and fixed that problem. Then discovered speakers in ceiling not working. One again missing cable. 3 wire GE style plugs on the ends. Installed that and all is now fine.

Bnrc73
05-17-2020, 10:24 AM
I used the same connector as JRTJH and put it on the side of the entertainment slide and connected that directly to the Wally. Works great.

Pare
05-18-2020, 03:22 AM
I had the same issue...Dish folks told me to connect the antenna directly to the Wally....it took care of the issue immediately. Try it.

Jnich17
05-18-2020, 12:30 PM
There are too many splitters in system. Satellites are not strong enough to pass through these. Run direct lines to each tv and it will work great. I have Dish Tailgster Pro and had to run 3 direct lines. I put all connections in control cabinet outside. Neat looking set up and functional. I left cable hook ups alone.

Jnich17
05-18-2020, 12:38 PM
Evidently RV manufacturers do not camp or they would see problems and fix. Keystone charges extra for KeyTV and it doesn't work with satellites. It's about time manufacturers started listening to users and not engineers!

flybouy
05-18-2020, 01:37 PM
Evidently RV manufacturers do not camp or they would see problems and fix. Keystone charges extra for KeyTV and it doesn't work with satellites. It's about time manufacturers started listening to users and not engineers!
Or maybe they do but don't use satellite service. I agree that if you promote a system it should work. I'll bet that every manufacturer has research on how the % of customers that have satellite VS only use park cable and the % of dry campers VS full hook up only campers.

So a theoretical, let's say the overwhelming segment of buyer's will never use feature A that costs $100. And the overwhelming majority are not willing to spend an extra $100 for a feature they will never use. So a savings of $100 per unit over 100,000 units and well it's easy to understand the decision making.