PDA

View Full Version : RVing at Banff - experiences/recommendations?

Dwalouke
05-10-2020, 06:04 AM
Should the Canadian border open, we have reservations at Trailer Court just near town beginning June 28. If you’ve been there, any recommendations you’d like to share? Thanks!

ADQ K9
05-10-2020, 06:10 AM
Do the Ice Fields Parkway between Jasper and Banff. Not sure how big your rig is but it is worth the trip IMO if you just do it with your TV.

Canonman
05-10-2020, 06:30 AM
So much to see around Banff. Actually 5 national Parks. Yoho, Kootenay, Jasper and Waterton on the road there or back:)
Don't know if you're planning to use the trailer court in Banff as an operations base or pull your RV around the area. Maybe a combination of both, but have look here https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=879 for some ideas.
We love the whole area and can offer some suggestions based on how much time you have and how you plan to travel. Feel free to PM for specifics if you like.

CelticWind
05-10-2020, 07:23 AM
I agree with taking the time and doing the Ice Fields Parkway. Well worth the stop and a nice break. Plan on boondocking in their parking area.

Cbrez
05-13-2020, 08:51 PM
We stayed at Trailer Court in a 39ft 5th wheel. Very good CG. Early spring was much better than late summer crowd-wise, although things might be different now. Beautiful country

jack65
09-16-2020, 05:34 PM
We went there last year to meet a friend who was camping at Two Jacks Lake not far from the town of Banff. Plenty of RV spaces there. Wife and my friends daughter stayed at the Resort in Banff while I camped with my lifelong best friend Dan. Here is the Photo Blog on that:

https://moskovita-photography.com/Banff_Alberta_Canada-2019.htm

notanlines
09-17-2020, 05:52 AM
Jack, both DW and I enjoyed your photos of Banff and the area. We have traveled BC extensively, but somehow managed to miss the Banff area. BC is every bit as beautiful as Alaska, plus a few more highways to explore. We are hoping to do Banff on our return from Alaska next summer. We're just hoping that the Can/Am border is open for unrestricted travel by then.

GMcKenzie
09-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Should the Canadian border open, we have reservations at Trailer Court just near town beginning June 28. If you’ve been there, any recommendations you’d like to share? Thanks!

My tentative plan is to go there next year. I'm in Canada so no border issues.

I do think you might have an issue. Sites book up in early January, and the situation may not be clear by then. But with Canadians not sure if they will be able to head south, they will book up pretty quick. I will be on the website to book the first hour.

What we have done in the past is to buy a day pass for the bus. It stops near the campground and will give you on-off priviledgs all day. A lot easier than finding parking in the town. Takes you to most places, the hot springs, the big hotel etc.

Parkway is neat. I've not done the icefield tour bus yet, and given they roll over, I may not. I find towing between Jasper and Banff has some bad roads. Had my setup porpoising. But taking a drive without the trailer is fine.

Lots of places to go for easy hikes. Just crowded is all. Saw some Grizzly's from the Lake Louise chairlft.

Last time we did Jasper, we were underwhelmed. Weather didn't cooperate so we didn't go up the mountains and there wasn't much in town to do.

I don't know what it was like this year, or what it will be like in 2021, but Lake Louise was really crowded. We got a place to park, but were there before 7 (we camped in Lake Louise). Hiked up to the Teahouse and had lunch. Absolutely gorgeous, but again, very busy.

Northofu1
09-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Just to add. If you stay in Canadian National parks. I had no problem getting a full refund for my 3 week trip to the Maritimes that was booked for June 2020. I had 4 parks booked and a Park pass that I was reimbursed for.
Rather than book online you may want to call Parks Canada to confirm that if the border is closed you will be refunded. We are planning to go out West at the end of May for 6 weeks total, fingers crossed.
Good Luck, :)