PDA

View Full Version : Towing with an Anderson Ranch Hitch Adapter

Jriggs10
05-08-2020, 08:13 PM
Hey there fellow travelers!

I have a 2008 Springdale 249 5th Wheel that I basically inherited and it has an Anderson Ranch Hitch Adapter (see pics). I have a 2010 F-350 SRW shortbed diesel that I tow with. It has a flatbed with a recessed ball. So the fit works great, I am just wondering if this setup is safe or not. I don't see much about them in this forum, so that concerns me a little bit! I am in the mountains of Montana and do some weekend camping with my family. Thanks!

roadglide
05-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Your fifth wheel is under 7000 pounds . I think you’d be fine toying with it but I would find the specs on the ranch hand Anderson hitch .

sourdough
05-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Find the specs. I'm not a fan of the "gooseneck extension" hitches on a 5th wheel trailer that was built for a 5th wheel type coupling. That long extension puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the mounting point on the trailer and it wasn't built for that unlike a purpose built gooseneck trailer. I would remove it from the trailer and adapt it to the truck with a different hitch personally.

wiredgeorge
05-09-2020, 04:51 AM
Andersen makes an "Ultimate" hitch for flat beds with a recessed ball. That thing you inherited leaves me kind of cold to look at it; you might want to call Andersen and see what they say prior to using it for towing your camper. Guess the rust is part of my unease when I look at it and you will need safety chains to be legal, at least here in Texas.

travelin texans
05-09-2020, 08:23 AM
Check out the Reese Goosebox, similar hook up but designed for 5th wheels.
The hitch pictured is what a lot of farmer/rancher folks always hauling stock trailers or farm utility trailer already had in their trucks so naturally put it on their RV, not a good option for a RV. If the RV was new that hitch would void the warranty.

MerlinB
05-09-2020, 12:01 PM
That goose neck extension will apply a twisting moment to the pin box that it was never designed to handle. I believe that Lippert states that the use of any such setup will void any warranty on their frames. I, personally, would not use one of those things. YMMV.

Jriggs10
05-10-2020, 02:56 PM
Thank you all for the replies...It is a smaller TT, I will give it a run for a bit and see how it goes, but might look for something to fit into the flatbed for the future. Thanks again!