PDA

View Full Version : Blackstone Griddle Owners

ADQ K9
05-08-2020, 06:39 AM
Finally replaced my little 30+ year old Weber "go anywhere" gas grill with a 22"Blackstone griddle. I got the one that comes with the folding legs, and an adapter is on the way so I can hook it directly to the Tumbleweed,I am excited to use it on our first 2020 trip. I have a couple questions though.
How much cooking does one have to do to fully season the griddle?
I seasoned it with about 1TBsp of olive oil 4 times per the owners manual it says you can use any oil of preference, it has a nice dark brown to black color now.
Is the optional bag to carry it worth it, and how do you carry yours in your RV?

sourdough
05-08-2020, 08:59 AM
I do not carry mine with me because it has a fixed stand with a cover. I am however looking at getting another one like yours because I just can't seem to find the perfect "all in one" type cooking solution. As far as the bag I would do it. Every grill, stove etc. that I carry has a bag/cover for it. Once you season the flat top and begin using it will be greasy no matter what you do unless you completely strip it and that is a lot of time and work to have to do over and over again. On top of that the drip pan will be oily unless you spend a lot of time cleaning them as well. I figure I would carry one in my pass through if/when I get it for the RV.

ADQ K9
05-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Danny,
Checked the Blackstone website and the carry bag for my model is sold out:( I called and they said keep checking back roughly $40 plus shipping not bad to protect the investment IMO. As for the seasoning I liken it to a cast iron pan.
We did get a cleaning kit too and there are aluminium tray inserts for the drip pan.
My Grandparents had an electric griddle they cooked Sourdough(sorry couldn't help it) pancakes on and I have not been able to replicate the taste with grandmas recipe on a non stick griddle/pan one of the reasons I got the Blackstone.

spade117
05-08-2020, 10:46 AM
I have a 17" that stays with the camper and I store it in the front pass thru. It is easy enough to maneuver that I did not end up getting the carry case for.

I also have the 28" for home use that I put wheels on that I keep in the garage. I have brought this one with us camping once when I knew we would be sharing meals with our camping friends and would be cooking for more than our family at one time. I was able to pack the frame in the bunkhouse area and wrapped the griddle portion in a towel and placed on our bed for travel.

ADQ K9
05-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Spade,
I am thinking it will fit in the pass through might have to do some rearanging but I also have room in the truck bed. Friends of mine have the 17"and they love it.

CedarCreekWoody
05-08-2020, 11:29 AM
I have the bag for my 17 inch. It includes a cover for when it is sitting on a table plus a canvas bag that completely covers it. I like it.

Dmhtc1
05-08-2020, 03:35 PM
I too have the 22" blackstone and love it. I have the cover and store it under the bed. Cooking breakfast with this blackstone is the best I have ever used far as not taking forever to cook with. Did the electric griddle for years, they don't last and cook unevenly over time. Clean up is a snap. Scrap, wipe down, re oil and done in minutes.;)

Customer1
05-08-2020, 04:46 PM
My trailer came with a Capital Grill in the outside kitchen. I remove the grill and installed a 22" Blackstone. The griddle was a perfect fit in the drawer slides the grill was mounted on.

sourdough
05-08-2020, 05:50 PM
Danny,
Checked the Blackstone website and the carry bag for my model is sold out:( I called and they said keep checking back roughly $40 plus shipping not bad to protect the investment IMO. As for the seasoning I liken it to a cast iron pan.
We did get a cleaning kit too and there are aluminium tray inserts for the drip pan.
My Grandparents had an electric griddle they cooked Sourdough(sorry couldn't help it) pancakes on and I have not been able to replicate the taste with grandmas recipe on a non stick griddle/pan one of the reasons I got the Blackstone.

Just as a follow up I just ordered the 22" tabletop Blackstone for the trailer. I just like them so much and this new little grill leaves a lot to be desired. Got the bag for the 28" so I can cover it when placing in the pass thru. Can't wait to get it and get "griddling" again. Non sticks cannot come close to a flat top for taste and cooking quality IMO.

tech740
05-08-2020, 06:39 PM
I have the same 22 kit as the OP. I have the babe and adapter also. It was seasoned after the initial seasoning pretty well. The bag is great. Put the base in the bottom, the shelf, grease trap and adapter under the lid and you are good to go. We keep ours in the camper full time because I bought the 36 for home.

Ksupaul
05-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Question for you Blackstone users. Do you still use a grill for some things or have to converted to cooking all your food on the Blackstone?

BauerAP
05-09-2020, 11:12 AM
We have the tailgater, griddle on one side and grill box/burner(similar to fish fry/boiler) on the other. The 4 legs come off and then it folds down to approximately the size of two stacked metal folding chairs. The grill box is brand new and haven’t used it in a year and a half.
We have the carrying bag and wouldn’t do it any other way. It goes on the drivers side of the pass through. I can slide it in flat and then stand it up. The bag and the adapter hose to hook to the quick connect make life a lot easier.
I cook most everything on it and not sure if we’ve even used the stove inside and we just hit the one year anniversary of this trailer. I can use both sides of it and cook 95% of what I need.
I use it at home quite a bit too. I’m not a gas grill fan as I don’t think it adds anything flavor wise so I’ve got an 18” tabletop charcoal grill if I want to go that route.

sourdough
05-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Question for you Blackstone users. Do you still use a grill for some things or have to converted to cooking all your food on the Blackstone?

I don't have a Blackstone in the camper yet....ordered yesterday and it will be here this coming week. I do have one at home though...

When this one gets here I will still use a gas grill, charcoal grill and my induction cookers outside. I don't like cooking inside and like too many things that a griddle isn't cut out for.

Dmhtc1
05-09-2020, 02:02 PM
For me, Blackstone for breakfast and some dishes ( stir fry, tacos etc). Charcoal for meats and seafood:D.

tech740
05-09-2020, 07:21 PM
I like a grill for things that cook slow like bbq chicken legs and thighs, black stone for things you want a sear on like burgers and steaks.

socoinc1984
05-09-2020, 08:41 PM
We use the black stone for everything. No mess no grease inside 5th wheel

ADQ K9
05-10-2020, 05:46 AM
The weather guessers said no rain for the next couple days so me and the oldest son started staining the back deck on the stick and brick yesterday. My normal home grill is in the dining room. Not worth it to bring down to ground level while staining the deck. (work smarter not harder) so I just roll it into the dining room for a few days. Wife wants surf and turf for Mothers Day so I think the Blackstone is gonna get used earlier than next weekend. ;)

Yes I pulled the propane tank before I brought the grill inside:eek:

kksfish
05-10-2020, 06:02 AM
[QUOTE=ADQ K9;389338
How much cooking does one have to do to fully season the griddle?
I seasoned it with about 1TBsp of olive oil 4 times per the owners manual it says you can use any oil of preference, it has a nice dark brown to black color now.
Is the optional bag to carry it worth it, and how do you carry yours in your RV?[/QUOTE]

We have the larger version for home....when camping I just throw it in the truck!

As far as seasoning it only gets better with time and use! I have been using ours a little over two years (several times a week) and only now consider it well seasoned. Cleans up easily with just a damp towel.....and the DW loves it

donsantell
05-10-2020, 06:56 AM

I cook most everything on it except for steaks. We have a great meat market near where we camp and I prefer to cook them over charcoal on my Weber Kettle grill. Just a matter of preference.

Last year people on this site got talking about The Blackstone Griddles, then I saw the movie "Chef". That did it. I bought the 17 inch Blackstone grill and love it I hadn't had a grilled cheese sandwich in years but after watching the end of the movie I went to the grocery store, bought a loaf of sour dough bread and 5 different cheese and grilled it on the Blackstone. Amazing!!!

The 17 inch stores nicely in the pass through wrapped in an old plastic tarp.

Huntme
05-10-2020, 08:46 PM
I have cooked a lot of different foods on my Blackstone grill,fish,venison, Elk,Beef,Chicken,Eggs,Pancakes,potatoes,just t name a few,it is a must,for camping,Hunting.

Brantlyj
05-11-2020, 02:55 PM
I seasoned mine like any other cast iron cookware. Warm it in a 200 degree oven to open up the pores, Lite coating of cottonseed oil, upside down in a 500 degree oven for an hour. Let cool in oven and repeat twice.

I bought a 17 in and as you can see in the picture it looks like it was made to go in the storage space in the outdoor cook station. Griddle upside down and all the utensils in the plastic bin.

Steve's 70-5
05-12-2020, 10:10 AM
I have the 22 inch with stand. When I store it, I fold the stand up, set e grill base on it. I then flip the cook top over and it sits on the base nice. Put a couple straps on it to keep everything together. I built a plywood base to hold the stand and put it in the outdoor kitchen.

LewisB
05-12-2020, 04:09 PM
:iagree:We carry a 17" Blackstone and like the carry bag - goes in the pass through storage. Perfect size cooking for 2-4 people. For some reason, everything just seems to taste better coming off the Blackstone...I used flax seed oil to season the griddle. Coated it with oil then put it inside the large BBQ grill at the house, closed the lid and held it at like 300 degrees for awhile. Best use yet of the BBQ grill...:D

Love the Blackstone!

Mrchange
05-14-2020, 07:50 AM
Love my 17" grill. After I clean the grill top I lightly oil it and cover it with plastic wrap or press-n-seal. Helps to keep the bag and grill from coming into contact and I know the grill is clean. Next use I remove plastic wrap and fire up the grill.

Mr Mojo
05-14-2020, 08:25 AM
I have the Tailgater and I bought the bag. It's two bags, one for the foldable legs and stand, and the other holds the grill and griddle. I keep them under the dinette table while travelling.

pitman44
05-14-2020, 09:05 AM
We recently bought our 22" Blackstone with the Walmart deal. Picked up a quick disconnect hose for it from Amazon. We were at a local campground for 9 days the last week+ and it was a pretty cool, wet 9 days in upstate NY. Cold enough that our water froze one nite due to my not thinking what 25F might do to our hose.

In any case we cooked all but two meals on the Blackstone and loved it. Smashed burgers were great as was every breakfast and everything in between. Great addition to our camper. I haven't picked up the bag, but plan to.

oldnjrver
05-14-2020, 09:15 AM
Danny,

For what its worth, wife and I saw all sorts of covers and cooking gear for the Blackstone grills in Walmart, two days ago..

We love using our 17" griddle and have made breakfasts and dinners for as many as 8 adults and 3 kids... cooking everything from Italian sausage, fish, burgers/dogs, home fries, chicken, steaks, pork chops, eggs, bacon, peppers and onions and on and on..

rlh1957
05-14-2020, 12:37 PM
Love ours. We have the folding table to set it on also.
When I got it I set it out on the driveway, coated with film of canola oil and turned burners on high. It smoked and smoked. Then I kept adding a little oil to burn it in and season it. It is about non stick now. If you cook to break it in you will only get the section where you are cooking to season and blacken.
Each meal after cooking I have it at temp I have my water bottle and squirt some on to deglaze and clean it off with my spatula and some paper towels. Paper towels we use in the fire pit and griddle surface is ready for the next meal.

Camp CA
05-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Finally replaced my little 30+ year old Weber "go anywhere" gas grill with a 22"Blackstone griddle...............How much cooking does one have to do to fully season the griddle? I seasoned it with about 1 TBsp of olive oil 4 times per the owners manual it says you can use any oil of preference, it has a nice dark brown to black color now. Is the optional bag to carry it worth it, and how do you carry yours in your RV?

My wife seasoned it with flaxseed oil at full blast 4 times over a 4 hour period..........to create a non-stick coat that adds flavor to your food and prevents scratching. You probably got it right though.

We clean our grill and put it into the original plastic cover then put into the original box and stow it in the front trailer compartment.

https://www.wikihow.com/Season-a-Blackstone-Griddle

Hoodlatch
05-14-2020, 01:39 PM
My wife seasoned it with flaxseed oil at full blast 4 times over a 4 hour period..........to create a non-stick coat that adds flavor to your food and prevents scratching. You probably got it right though.

We clean our grill and put it into the original plastic cover then put into the original box and stow it in the front trailer compartment.

https://www.wikihow.com/Season-a-Blackstone-Griddle

We also used flaxseed oil 3 or 4 times on our 22”. This will be the third camping season with it and we eliminated our grill for now. Our Bullet has a small rear outside storage (under bunks) which fit our old bumper mounted bbq grill. The Blackstone fits nicely in its place. No bag, I bought the lid kit and love it.
We cook just about every breakfast and dinner on it, for steaks I have my butcher cut my ribeyes fairly thin. They turn out amazing! The only thing I miss a grill for is chicken pieces and the occasional beer can chicken.

I need to find a small charcoal grill with a high dome lid in the near future

InkedMarie
05-14-2020, 03:23 PM

We have the Blackstone Tailgater, which is half griddle & half grill. They also make a half griddle half charcoal grill.

Jim Aitken
05-14-2020, 03:41 PM
I bought the 17" model and wish I had bought the larger 22" version. While the small model is nice to carry and store, it is too small to cook multiple items at the same time.

Mid Life Crisis-SBP
05-14-2020, 03:54 PM
We cook most everything on our 22” Blackstone. Sear the steaks and then put them on a bakers rack that holds them 1/2” off the griddle with steaming cover and cook to preference. Scrape and then wipe down with a little water while still warm after every use, then scrub with scratch pad and water (only) occasionally. DO NOT use cleaner or degreaser! You will ruin your seasoning. We keep it in the pass-through with the top turner upside down, no cover. Good luck, you’ll love it.

Salty25
05-14-2020, 04:25 PM
I got one and carry it in the bag. I got the bag from Wally world so maybe check there. I'd also check wally world online and have it shipped to the store; no shipping for that option.

msubobcats
05-15-2020, 10:25 AM
We have the Coleman Roadtrek. It is ok to use as a burner but totally stinks as a grill. Besides, cleanup is a JOKE.. Would love the have a Pit Boss Tailgater and the small Blackstone (or the Pit Boss griddle). Just seems to be a better way of grilling, smoking, cooking.

rlh1957
05-15-2020, 10:48 AM
For a grill we use the Weber Q1200. Did a quick disconnect conversion so I can use on RV outside quick connect gas, do a quick connect so I can use the little bottles and one to hook up my portable 20lb tank.
The heat this thing puts out is amazing. All grease or droppings all go down and into a tray. It's a 2 or 4 person grill. Not a giant feed the clan type of grill. Light and easy to cleanup and stow.
Still love our Blackstone also.

Brantlyj
05-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Our 17” in action tonight at the campsite. Fresh Iowa beef and Iowa bacon. Tasted so good!

jimborokz
05-17-2020, 12:19 PM
just ordered the Tailgater. We'll use it at the S&B this summer then pack it up in the camper for snowbird time.

cavediver
05-17-2020, 12:34 PM
We bought one at Walmart three years ago on sale with the lid and legs. Didn't take it out of the box until the start of the next season. We don't even take the webber anymore.

Bob R
05-18-2020, 06:51 PM
I bought the 17" model and wish I had bought the larger 22" version. While the small model is nice to carry and store, it is too small to cook multiple items at the same time.

I have the 17" guy and this last weekend during our trip I made Huevos Rancheros for 6 people.I was doing 8 tortillas at once ( then stacked in the corner to stay warm, a pound of chorizo along with 4 chorizo sausages which I removed to a skillet to stay warm and finished it off with 6 eggs at a time until I did 12 although I could have fit a lot more eggs. I was happily surprised at how well it worked. Between the griddle, a Coleman gas stove and a Smokey Joe from Weber I cook very little in the trailer.

bob

sourdough
05-18-2020, 07:01 PM
I have the 17" guy and this last weekend during our trip I made Huevos Rancheros for 6 people.I was doing 8 tortillas at once ( then stacked in the corner to stay warm, a pound of chorizo along with 4 chorizo sausages which I removed to a skillet to stay warm and finished it off with 6 eggs at a time until I did 12 although I could have fit a lot more eggs. I was happily surprised at how well it worked. Between the griddle, a Coleman gas stove and a Smokey Joe from Weber I cook very little in the trailer.

bob

I have 2 22" Blackstone's, a previous 17" and my son has a 36"?. You fit a lot of stuff on a 17" griddle. Not questioning, just observing that I can't get that much on a 22" at one time nor feed 6 people...that eat like me:lol: 22" is limiting, to me, when I try to cook 6 strips of bacon, 4 eggs and some hashbrowns....but that's just me.

ADQ K9
05-18-2020, 07:25 PM
Well last weekend it got broken in real good between burgers, pork chops, bacon and pancakes. I think it is seasoned but I fee;l the more we use it the better it will perform.

tech740
05-18-2020, 09:40 PM
I have 2 22" Blackstone's, a previous 17" and my son has a 36"?. You fit a lot of stuff on a 17" griddle. Not questioning, just observing that I can't get that much on a 22" at one time nor feed 6 people...that eat like me:lol: 22" is limiting, to me, when I try to cook 6 strips of bacon, 4 eggs and some hashbrowns....but that's just me.

That is what I was thinking. I have a 22 and a 36. I was wondering what that jigsaw puzzle looked like.

Bob R
05-19-2020, 09:39 AM
That is what I was thinking. I have a 22 and a 36. I was wondering what that jigsaw puzzle looked like.

It's not that hard, I just cook in stages, tortillas went first then to the corner. then the chorizo to the skillet when cooked and finally the eggs (6) down the middle. I didn't try to fit it all at once, it wouldn't work.

Once the eggs were done it was simple for people to assemble, tortillas, salsa (separate pot), chorizo and eggs. also had a pot of refried beans for them on the stove in the trailer we brought out.

Normally it is just two of us I am cooking for so I didn't feel the need for a 22".

bob

Alermon32
10-17-2020, 05:35 AM
You've chosen pretty compact model and I think you may bring it with you everywhere you want and need.
I'd like to tell you a story about how I've bought a meat slicer (https://grillguru.org/best-meat-slicer/) for my kitchen. I was so happy and i wanted to use is in every case. So, when I needed to cut a piece of meet or anything else I used it. But as you may guess it's a really massive kitchen tool. When I got an RV I realized it's useless to take that slicer with me. So, now I use it not so often, but it is still one of my favorite kitchen tool.

JRTJH
10-17-2020, 08:07 AM
You've chosen pretty compact model and I think you may bring it with you everywhere you want and need.
I'd like to tell you a story about how I've bought a meat slicer (https://grillguru.org/best-meat-slicer/) for my kitchen. I was so happy and i wanted to use is in every case. So, when I needed to cut a piece of meet or anything else I used it. But as you may guess it's a really massive kitchen tool. When I got an RV I realized it's useless to take that slicer with me. So, now I use it not so often, but it is still one of my favorite kitchen tool.

A "rule in our kitchen" is when that "got to have it small appliance" sits on the top of the kitchen cabinets for a year, it goes into the garage sale pile.... I can't tell you how many "slow cookers" or toaster ovens (with a twist) or how many dough hook accessories for a hand mixer or how many "Oster Kitchen Center (now an antique) add-on parts" we still find, stuck in the back of a kitchen drawer, behind those bamboo skewers or their stainless replacements, both of which were replaced by the grill sheets that prevent food from falling through the grate (so the skewers are obsolete)... LOL