PDA

View Full Version : First Trip w/new Ram 3500 6.4L

sourdough
05-07-2020, 05:28 PM
Thought I would post my assessment of the first trip with the new 3500 pulling the new trailer. Figured I would make a post about the TV and another about the RV itself.

As far as the Ram; 2019 3500, 5k miles now, 6.4L, 4x4, SWB/CC, 4.10, 8 speed Laramie.

This truck replaced a 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn, 6.4L, 3.73, SWB/CC, 6 speed.

The trailer behind the 2014 had a gvw of 10k and scaled 92-9300 generally. The 14 pulled it well but the 6 speed does limit things along with the 3.73. All in all I was very happy with it. Knew we wanted a new trailer, we both said we never wanted a 5th wheel, and the new trailer had to have a gvw of no more than 12k or so. Well we missed that mark after DW determined she HAD to have a washer and dryer.

New trailer has a gvw of 14,500. Unloaded was 11,500. I have not scaled yet but comparing what we had in the last trailer and what we transferred I would estimate a tow weight currently around 13k, maybe a bit less - I'll know when I get back.

When I bought the new 3500 I never dreamed of a 14.5k full profile 5th wheel (I've stated the reason, yet again, above). I did not have enough tow time with the truck to have any idea what the engine/tranny/axle combo could/would do. In fact, much to the dismay of my wife, I told her to expect a new diesel Ram upon arrival here in FL (I tried to make her smile but she just wouldn't since I bought this one the last day of last year). But to my surprise, and her extreme joy, I was pleased with the trip.

Left TX with a 30mph front quartering wind. The truck pulled OK (not great like a diesel but not struggling). What it did do that worried the heck out of me was suck gas at a phenomenal rate. I had to work to stay above 7mpg avg. Told DW with such a small tank we might have to stop at every town we passed and add an hour or 2 to our projected ETA. In fact though we managed to stop at every established gas stop (determined over years of making this trip) we had for the entire trip. The wind let up (not gone) after the first day and towing was actually fun and worries gone.

The 8 speed and 4.10 make a remarkable combo for the gas option. Pulling much more weight it actually strained much less. It was always able to find a hole that kept the rpm's contained and steady. Sustaining speed up and down the hills of E TX and beyond it just strummed along; again, not like a diesel but nothing like I feared - in fact a huge relief and wonderful, pleasant surprise. After the first day wind subsided (some) I averaged between 8-9 mpg; about the same as the 3/4 did with the smaller trailer. 3500 rpm was the highest I hit and that was on the longest, sustained grade (or 3) we hit. I hit 3500 several times with the other combo.

I waited for this combo, looked all over the place to find one before buying it in FL and I can truthfully say that it was worth the wait. I figure I'm running 13k or so but have no problem thinking of running that up to 14k if required (but won't - I can't imagine what I'd be throwing in).

The 1 ton vs 3/4 ton I'm not sure what you gain other than the higher payload on the sticker. As far as squat, it does squat with the pin weight. Not terribly nor much more than the 3/4 did with the bumper pull (about 1500 less than the pin estimate on the 1 ton). I do like all the goo gahs (I think) of the Laramie package but dislike the 12 inch screen for all the info. Great for seeing the nav but all the controls are lost and almost illegible. DW has to find the right buttons and activate them because it takes too much time and diversion of attention to try to find them.

All in all I'm very happy; happy with the way it pulled; happy DW is happy with me; and happy to not have to spend another 80k plus to get a diesel to pull her washer and dryer....whoops! said it again...:facepalm: :whistling:

Snoking
05-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Image driving solo and finding the right place to push on the 12" screen! Study up on voice commands. There is a lot of things that you can do with voice commands.

sourdough
05-07-2020, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I know about voice commands. I own lots of "sophisticated" equipment that would let me run "automated" on most everything....but, I have zero patience to mess with them. Lots of time but no patience. I'd just soon leave the thing off as try to spend 2 hours learning how to use the voice commands; than that changes; I buy a new vehicle; the device doesn't understand the phrase so "I" must learn "it's" vernacular....naw. I'll leave that for the kids and leave a big black 12" hole in the dash....except for my Sirius/XM!!

rhagfo
05-08-2020, 05:44 AM
Yeah, I know about voice commands. I own lots of "sophisticated" equipment that would let me run "automated" on most everything....but, I have zero patience to mess with them. Lots of time but no patience. I'd just soon leave the thing off as try to spend 2 hours learning how to use the voice commands; than that changes; I buy a new vehicle; the device doesn't understand the phrase so "I" must learn "it's" vernacular....naw. I'll leave that for the kids and leave a big black 12" hole in the dash....except for my Sirius/XM!!

Danny, we only have the 8.5” in the 2016, I find that the more you use it the more you learn where things are. I love the Bluetooth for pone hands free, also the voice to text and text to audio. This allows you to send a text and receive one without distraction.

sourdough
05-08-2020, 08:54 AM
Russ, I was being a little tongue in cheek about using the voice commands. I'm not going to take anything out and I really should take the time to "learn" how to use it more than I do. I do use the Bluetooth and also the texting part. There is just so much more I will just have to get used to it over time, although I don't know when that will be :lol:. I've had the 8.4 Uconnect since 2012 I believe. The first one came with an entire book all its own about 1/2" thick trying to walk you through everything. Only read portions of it when I hit a snag. Really should sit down and spend some time with it because trying to find the right button among the zillion buttons and icons while driving 75 or pulling a trailer is not a good thing.

flybouy
05-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Russ, I was being a little tongue in cheek about using the voice commands. I'm not going to take anything out and I really should take the time to "learn" how to use it more than I do. I do use the Bluetooth and also the texting part. There is just so much more I will just have to get used to it over time, although I don't know when that will be :lol:. I've had the 8.4 Uconnect since 2012 I believe. The first one came with an entire book all its own about 1/2" thick trying to walk you through everything. Only read portions of it when I hit a snag. Really should sit down and spend some time with it because trying to find the right button among the zillion buttons and icons while driving 75 or pulling a trailer is not a good thing.
Danny, you just need a 10 year old (at the oldest) to ride shotgun and operate that "laptop in the dash" :lol:

JRTJH
05-08-2020, 09:26 AM
I'd guess that all three of the truck manufacturers use a 'somewhat similar' type of voice recognition system. In my Ford (an antiquated system by today's standards) when I'm bored driving, I push the "voice button" and start a conversation with "Miss Information"... <pun intended>…

When I push the button, I hear the "ding" and just say anything that comes to mind. Miss Information apologizes for not recognizing my comment, she gives me some hints on what makes her happy, I play the game, mispronouncing her suggestions, talking back to her, enjoying being able to "finally be myself with a female without getting hurt in the process"....

It's a way to pass some time while on the road without taking my eyes off the driving aspects... And, I learn a little more every time Miss Information gives me hints on what makes her happy.....

ADQ K9
05-08-2020, 09:49 AM
John,
It gets even better when you use expletives in your conversation with "Miss Information":cool:
Danny glad to hear your truck is up to the task and you are satisfied

JRTJH
05-08-2020, 11:27 AM
John,
It gets even better when you use expletives in your conversation with "Miss Information":cool:
Danny glad to hear your truck is up to the task and you are satisfied

Oh, when I'm by myself (DW nowhere in earshot) some (maybe most) of the words I use with Miss Information could NEVER be repeated in mixed company... She (Miss Information) is the only woman I've ever "gotten away with the stuff I say to her"... Sort of a "self fulfilling legacy" (at least in my own mind) :whistling:

jim1
05-08-2020, 01:01 PM
My first introduction to voice command happened about 10 minutes after I said I do, and apparently I've listened to it very well for the last 31years. [but with the wind chill factor it seems more like 40!]

flybouy
05-08-2020, 01:31 PM
I automated our house with wifi light switches, thermostat, etc. "Alexa" is the interface and she struggles with understanding the word deck. The deck operates the Feit string lights and we use it often when letting the dog out at night. It typically goes like this;
me-"Alexa turn on the deck",
Alexa - Did you mean deck?"
Me (shouting) - "YES YOU STUPID #*!^@$ B@@@@ THAT'S WHY I SAID DECK!"
DW laughs.

I grew up with 2 older sisters. DW and I married and have 2 daughters. I think the DW is amused at me "putting Alexa in her place". When the controversy over Amazon monitoring the Alexa interface my only comment is, God bless the poor soul listening in to ours.:)

sourdough
05-08-2020, 03:54 PM
Alright, ya'll convinced me. On my drive into Tally tomorrow (alone) I'm hitting that VR button with the little mouth and waves in front of it so I can "feel better" before I head into a house with 4 women for the day......:lol:

Gegrad
05-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Awesome to hear it performed well Danny. 5,000 miles already! You bought yours after I did, and mine has all of 976 miles on it :lol:

Of course, working full time from home during the week and everything else shut down for the weekends has skewed those numbers a good bit, as I have only logged maybe 50 miles the last 2 months now (Couple trips to the hardware store for home project supplies).

That's encouraging to hear it pulled pretty good size rig like yours so well. And that mileage is only like 1 mpg less than I am getting solo so far, so I have hope I will probably do the same thing when I finally get the chance to tow.

sourdough
05-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Awesome to hear it performed well Danny. 5,000 miles already! You bought yours after I did, and mine has all of 976 miles on it :lol:

Of course, working full time from home during the week and everything else shut down for the weekends has skewed those numbers a good bit, as I have only logged maybe 50 miles the last 2 months now (Couple trips to the hardware store for home project supplies).

That's encouraging to hear it pulled pretty good size rig like yours so well. And that mileage is only like 1 mpg less than I am getting solo so far, so I have hope I will probably do the same thing when I finally get the chance to tow.

Matt I don't know the gvw of your trailer or specifics but suspect that they are no more than my 319rls that I traded in. If so, and you have the 8 speed you will be in great shape. That tranny makes a huge difference. If you have the 3.73 ratio you will do great, if you have the 4.10 it will be better when towing but there is just a tiny drop in mpg just loafing around as I'm prone to do with puppy (she loves to ride slowly around the back roads watching "puppies and kitty cats").

Hopefully we can unwind all this going on and you can get out and enjoy that new truck. I think you will find that it is going to be an awesome combo.

Gegrad
05-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Matt I don't know the gvw of your trailer or specifics but suspect that they are no more than my 319rls that I traded in. If so, and you have the 8 speed you will be in great shape. That tranny makes a huge difference. If you have the 3.73 ratio you will do great, if you have the 4.10 it will be better when towing but there is just a tiny drop in mpg just loafing around as I'm prone to do with puppy (she loves to ride slowly around the back roads watching "puppies and kitty cats").

Hopefully we can unwind all this going on and you can get out and enjoy that new truck. I think you will find that it is going to be an awesome combo.

My trailer's GVW is 7700 lbs and I have the 3.73 rear and the 8 speed. The 8 speed tranny they made standard for the '19 model year was actually a major factor in me getting a '19 vs a leftover new '18 that was available or a gently used model. I know it will tow it like a champion, and the fuel economy isn't a concern since I was getting 7-8 towing with my old 1/2 ton Chevy anyway. My comments on your observations were more geared toward a possible small 5er in a few years (I wouldn't want more than 10k GVW anyway).

And yes, we can't wait to take the boys out for the first time this year, hopefully in a few weeks. State Parks are reopening in PA on May 22 I believe.

sourdough
05-08-2020, 06:57 PM
My trailer's GVW is 7700 lbs and I have the 3.73 rear and the 8 speed. The 8 speed tranny they made standard for the '19 model year was actually a major factor in me getting a '19 vs a leftover new '18 that was available or a gently used model. I know it will tow it like a champion, and the fuel economy isn't a concern since I was getting 7-8 towing with my old 1/2 ton Chevy anyway. My comments on your observations were more geared toward a possible small 5er in a few years (I wouldn't want more than 10k GVW anyway).

And yes, we can't wait to take the boys out for the first time this year, hopefully in a few weeks. State Parks are reopening in PA on May 22 I believe.

10k gvw with that engine/tranny/axle combo will be a snap. I did the 10k gvw with that combo but a 6 speed with no issues including the Rockies. Get those boys out and have fun!

CedarCreekWoody
05-09-2020, 05:11 AM
Danny is your Ram so tall that it forces the rear of the trailer too low? I'm finding that to be the case with my 2500. I've adjusted the pin box to around 6 inch clearance over the tail gate but still dragging the trailer tail at times. I'm in the process of raising it 2 inches more over the axles. I'm just wondering if this is a problem for others too.

Snoking
05-09-2020, 05:53 AM
Danny is your Ram so tall that it forces the rear of the trailer too low? I'm finding that to be the case with my 2500. I've adjusted the pin box to around 6 inch clearance over the tail gate but still dragging the trailer tail at times. I'm in the process of raising it 2 inches more over the axles. I'm just wondering if this is a problem for others too.

They do not recommend spacer blocks and longer U bolts on trailer axles, if that is what you are planning?

This Correct Track and Moryde X-factor would be a better route. Just be sure to get the X-factor for add on Correct Track.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-87220-Correct-Suspension-Alignment/dp/B00JMHF15G

sourdough
05-09-2020, 06:14 AM

I have not dragged the trailer on anything. I have however drug the mud flaps on the back of the pickup since the 5th wheel squats the truck more than the bumper pull did.

I don't go/haven't gone boondocking or into rough terrain with the trailer. I do take it up and over drive ways, entries etc. that have a pretty big dip with no problems. The back of the trailer sits so high off the ground it seems like it would be pretty hard to drag unless it was over some pretty rough stuff. Just measured to the bottom of the receiver on the back and it is 22 1/2" from the ground with the trailer leveled.

I have mine set to about 6" of clearance over the bed rails as well. It rides slightly nose high, but just slightly.

CedarCreekWoody
05-09-2020, 06:36 AM
I'm glad to hear you've had no problems with being too low. I never go off road either but twice the tail has dragged in dips on gas station lots, bending the bracket holding the spare tire on the rear bumper. My rear lift jack is also uncomfortably close to the ground so I am having my dealer raise the trailer. It sounds like my Laredo is built a bit lower than your Montana. I am a bit surprised to hear that your 3500 is squatting that much. My 2500 squats a bit although I'm only 10k fully loaded.
I understand your issues with the voice controls. After my wife got in an argument with the Tom Tom lady (the navigation system) I knew I could never use the features. Lol

rodgebone
05-14-2020, 07:52 AM
I hate all this constant new technology. All this crap seemed to start around 1990 (guess I'm dating myself but to this day I still miss rotary phones). I also found the 12" screen and controls intimidating at first but after about 6 months of solo travel it quickly became my favorite feature of the truck (especially the navigation system which proved invaluable). Once I learned most of the intricacies I found it even easier to use than buttons and knobs. Still, at 11 months I'm learning new things all the time although I refuse to "talk" to it LOL. Gotta love technology

flybouy
05-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Have you ever considered applying for a job at the Smithsonian? Sorry, couldn't help myself.:hide:

rodgebone
05-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Have you ever considered applying for a job at the Smithsonian? Sorry, couldn't help myself.:hide:

Now THAT would be a great gig! Interpretive host?

flybouy
05-14-2020, 08:59 AM
Now THAT would be a great gig! Interpretive host?

DW and I were down there a few years ago and after about an hour of me identifying objects the DW said "you should be on display here". :facepalm:
Oh well....:lol:

JRTJH
05-14-2020, 09:07 AM
My grandson and his fiancé were involved in a "T-bone" accident a couple days ago. They were hit by a drunk driver who ran a stop light. FORTUNATELY their truck had side curtain air bags and they walked away from the accident.

Back in 1990, our son borrowed his mom's Acclaim to go to work at BK. As a 16 year old, he was saving money to buy repair parts to get his "clunker" repaired.... FORTUNATELY, he was in a car with a steering wheel air bag. A woman ran a stop sign and suddenly was "in front of him on a major highway with oncoming traffic and nowhere to go but to hit her. He still talks about the crunch, the bang and seeing feathers as the air bag deflated. He walked away from that accident....

Looking back, had either of them been in "vehicles without all those "geegaws" it's likely neither accident would have ended the way they did...

As much as I'm "frustrated by the cost of new trucks and cars" all of those "technology advances" do make them safer than older cars... Remember back when cars had a one piece steering shaft and impaled the driver in every frontal crash ???

While I'm no "big fan of making things more complex" I've got two events, one very recent and one from years ago that I'm certain would have ended differently had it not been for "that stuff that makes trucks more expensive every year".....

flybouy
05-14-2020, 09:52 AM
John when our oldest daughter got her license we bought her a brand new Nissan Sentra. We wanted her to have a safe and reliable way thru college. It had side curtain air bags, door impact reinforcements, etc. A work colleague criticized me for "spoiling" our Child. He had bought his son (same age) an old clunker and said he drove an old car thru college and it was good enough for his kid.

Thankfully the Sentra had great safety ratings. She and 2 friends friends in here car got hit broadside by a drunk driver. The car was drug sideways about 150' before being stopped by a light pole. They had to cut the roof off to get them out. All survived, some broken ribs and cuts. About 2 weeks later his son was involved in a head on. The non airbagged steering wheel ruptured his spleen and he lost his life.

I'll take the modern safety equipment anyday.

sourdough
05-14-2020, 01:36 PM
I agree about the technology. Some of it is just bells and whistles....and irritation, but there are SO many good things that they do with it that I'll take it and deal with the parts I don't like.

Like you guys, I've seen some bad things happen. In the back seat of a new Cadillac DeVille about '65. My friend was driving, after dark and entering a town we had never been to. It had a traffic circle right as you came in on the highway. Don't guess he saw the sign, if there was one, but drove straight into the side of about a '64 Ford Fairlane 500 filled with folks. The results were bad all around but the mention of the steering shaft earlier brought this one back. His head was stuck through the windshield...sort of. I guess there is a sheet of plastic or something sandwiched in the windshield that keeps it from shattering. He was just sort of "molded" into it with the glass still stuck to the plastic but shattered in a zillion tiny pieces. There were no seat belts as I recall and I remember that big steering wheel being folded over and down but that steering column didn't go anywhere. The vehicle was huge, heavy and built like a tank.....but it would have been nice for that steering column to "give". Yep, I'll take the advancements....even if I have to learn to talk to a "thing" that can't understand me..:facepalm: :banghead:

rodgebone
05-14-2020, 03:36 PM
When I was 8 I was riding with my sister's friend in her VW Bug sitting in the very back behind the rear seat (no seatbelt back there of course - nor a seat). she had to avoid another driver and diverted headlong into a big sign post. I got thrown all the way into the front windshield. my only ambulance ride knock on wood. I'll take the new tech airbags anyday. my new RAM has enough to make a cocoon. just wish it came with a rotary phone. but what can you do?

notanlines
05-14-2020, 03:55 PM
Rodgebone, maybe you could just put a crank on the side of your iPhone and pretend? One of the handles from your RV windows would work nicely! Might as well go way back...:lol:

rhagfo
05-14-2020, 05:16 PM
:)When I was 8 I was riding with my sister's friend in her VW Bug sitting in the very back behind the rear seat (no seatbelt back there of course - nor a seat). she had to avoid another driver and diverted headlong into a big sign post. I got thrown all the way into the front windshield. my only ambulance ride knock on wood. I'll take the new tech airbags anyday. my new RAM has enough to make a cocoon. just wish it came with a rotary phone. but what can you do?

I will take the Bluetooth phone interface any day! Voice command dialing, hand never leaves the steering wheel! That and voice to text and the other side text to audio!

Scooter1044
05-14-2020, 07:38 PM
Thought I would post my assessment of the first trip with the new 3500 pulling the new trailer. Figured I would make a post about the TV and another about the RV itself.

As far as the Ram; 2019 3500, 5k miles now, 6.4L, 4x4, SWB/CC, 4.10, 8 speed Laramie.

This truck replaced a 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn, 6.4L, 3.73, SWB/CC, 6 speed.

The trailer behind the 2014 had a gvw of 10k and scaled 92-9300 generally. The 14 pulled it well but the 6 speed does limit things along with the 3.73. All in all I was very happy with it. Knew we wanted a new trailer, we both said we never wanted a 5th wheel, and the new trailer had to have a gvw of no more than 12k or so. Well we missed that mark after DW determined she HAD to have a washer and dryer.

New trailer has a gvw of 14,500. Unloaded was 11,500. I have not scaled yet but comparing what we had in the last trailer and what we transferred I would estimate a tow weight currently around 13k, maybe a bit less - I'll know when I get back.

When I bought the new 3500 I never dreamed of a 14.5k full profile 5th wheel (I've stated the reason, yet again, above). I did not have enough tow time with the truck to have any idea what the engine/tranny/axle combo could/would do. In fact, much to the dismay of my wife, I told her to expect a new diesel Ram upon arrival here in FL (I tried to make her smile but she just wouldn't since I bought this one the last day of last year). But to my surprise, and her extreme joy, I was pleased with the trip.

Left TX with a 30mph front quartering wind. The truck pulled OK (not great like a diesel but not struggling). What it did do that worried the heck out of me was suck gas at a phenomenal rate. I had to work to stay above 7mpg avg. Told DW with such a small tank we might have to stop at every town we passed and add an hour or 2 to our projected ETA. In fact though we managed to stop at every established gas stop (determined over years of making this trip) we had for the entire trip. The wind let up (not gone) after the first day and towing was actually fun and worries gone.

The 8 speed and 4.10 make a remarkable combo for the gas option. Pulling much more weight it actually strained much less. It was always able to find a hole that kept the rpm's contained and steady. Sustaining speed up and down the hills of E TX and beyond it just strummed along; again, not like a diesel but nothing like I feared - in fact a huge relief and wonderful, pleasant surprise. After the first day wind subsided (some) I averaged between 8-9 mpg; about the same as the 3/4 did with the smaller trailer. 3500 rpm was the highest I hit and that was on the longest, sustained grade (or 3) we hit. I hit 3500 several times with the other combo.

I waited for this combo, looked all over the place to find one before buying it in FL and I can truthfully say that it was worth the wait. I figure I'm running 13k or so but have no problem thinking of running that up to 14k if required (but won't - I can't imagine what I'd be throwing in).

The 1 ton vs 3/4 ton I'm not sure what you gain other than the higher payload on the sticker. As far as squat, it does squat with the pin weight. Not terribly nor much more than the 3/4 did with the bumper pull (about 1500 less than the pin estimate on the 1 ton). I do like all the goo gahs (I think) of the Laramie package but dislike the 12 inch screen for all the info. Great for seeing the nav but all the controls are lost and almost illegible. DW has to find the right buttons and activate them because it takes too much time and diversion of attention to try to find them.

All in all I'm very happy; happy with the way it pulled; happy DW is happy with me; and happy to not have to spend another 80k plus to get a diesel to pull her washer and dryer....whoops! said it again...:facepalm: :whistling:
The 12” screen act’s just like a tablet, you can drag the app’s to the bottom of the screen so you can easily access them. When you change seasons you can just hit the resets button and move the new app’s you want down to the bottom of your screen again. Sorry that your salesman didn’t show you all the tricks you can do with that system. It’s really cool if you know how to use it correctly. Scott

travelin texans
05-14-2020, 07:50 PM
My DWs sister lives in the piney woods of east Texas with such a strong accent that when she does the talk to text without proof reading before sending then it reaches the DW we have to try to put on her accent to cipher what she's trying to say, gets a bit tricky.

rodgebone
05-14-2020, 09:49 PM
Rodgebone, maybe you could just put a crank on the side of your iPhone and pretend? One of the handles from your RV windows would work nicely! Might as well go way back...:lol:

please explain...whats an iPhone? :banghead:

flybouy
05-15-2020, 03:47 AM

Must be a typo. Proper grammar should my "my phone" or "your phone" shouldn't it? :hide:

travelin texans
05-15-2020, 08:40 AM

It's your flip phone on steroids.

jimborokz
05-17-2020, 01:08 PM
The Solution:

sourdough
05-17-2020, 01:41 PM
^^^^^That's it!! That's it!! Where did you get that? Who makes it? I've gotta have one to simplify my life! :D:D

ctbruce
05-17-2020, 03:57 PM
^^^^^That's it!! That's it!! Where did you get that? Who makes it? I've gotta have one to simplify my life! :D:DYou'll never win any radio contests with that thing.

rodgebone
05-17-2020, 05:28 PM
The Solution:
Im in...amazon link? group buy? and where can i buy the gerbil with small hands to dial it? will my union allow it? just asking

rbrdriver
06-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Sourdough, is your Ram a srw or a drw?

sourdough
06-27-2020, 09:12 AM
It is a srw.

rbrdriver
06-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Ok. I was just curious, I have a 2017 Ram 3500 dually with the 6.7 diesel, but often wondered how the same truck would do with a 6.4 hemi (If they even make 'em like that.)

travelin texans
06-27-2020, 10:44 AM
Ok. I was just curious, I have a 2017 Ram 3500 dually with the 6.7 diesel, but often wondered how the same truck would do with a 6.4 hemi (If they even make 'em like that.)

From my experience if you're towing a RV that requires a dually then stick with the diesel for the torque/hp, you'll be glad you did! Just my .02 cents!
Disclaimer; I've never owned a Ram truck nor anything with a Hemi, but have towed lots of RVs & trailers of all shapes & sizes with about engine available in Ford's (not my 1st choice) & GMs for which I'd pick the diesel every time.

sourdough
06-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Danny is right. If the load requires a dually 1) it requires a diesel and 2) even Ram recognizes that. When trying to spec a truck with a 14k gvw (dually) you are required to opt for a diesel.

The 6.4, 4.10 in my srw 3500 has all it wants with the load I have on it. I didn't have time to scale this rig before I left but based on what I moved into it from the other trailer (which had been scaled) and the dry weight of this trailer I should be under 13k. With my previous 6.4, 3.73 and 6 speed tranny it would have been out of its depth with this trailer....for me. Numbers would probably work but the axle ratio and 6 speed were drawbacks. I knew the 8 speed and 4.10 would make an appreciable difference but not as much as it did. Be that as it may at 13k this truck will be breathing hard.

dbear
06-27-2020, 04:17 PM
Danny is right. If the load requires a dually 1) it requires a diesel and 2) even Ram recognizes that.

Not entirely accurate. I just did the build & price on a Ram 3500, 14k gvw, dually, 6.4 gas. (https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_3500.2020.html#/build/powertrain/14468/CUT202015D23H62C/2TZ/ESA,DFX,DMF,Z3M,TV2,WD4,V9,MWH,LNC,WLA,UAA,X8,PXJ, 2ZZ,APA)

sourdough
06-27-2020, 05:00 PM
Not entirely accurate. I just did the build & price on a Ram 3500, 14k gvw, dually, 6.4 gas. (https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_3500.2020.html#/build/powertrain/14468/CUT202015D23H62C/2TZ/ESA,DFX,DMF,Z3M,TV2,WD4,V9,MWH,LNC,WLA,UAA,X8,PXJ, 2ZZ,APA)

You know, looks like you are right. Initially it said the option wasn't available for this area code (32346). I did spec a club cab I simply don't see regular cab trucks on the road for family use (some for businesses). Be that as it may, it shows a regular cab, 4x2 dually is available. Whether it is or not it would be a huge waste of money to get one because the 6.4 could not possibly do justice for that dually and its capabilities.

Gegrad
06-27-2020, 05:14 PM

They do make them like that, though they are rare. When I was shopping for mine I was considering a dealer in Ohio for a while and they had a DRW with the 6.4 in it on their lot for a while.

rbrdriver
06-28-2020, 03:26 PM
Last time I weighed my trailer it came in at 16900, although the gvwr is 16500 so I reckon I was about 400 over. Anyways I am glad I do have the diesel with the aisin tranny, therefore I have the high output cummins so lots of torque and hp. I am sure the 6.4 would pull it, but it would probably suck the gas going up grades, and I am sure you would be hearing the engine wind up quite a bit to do it. It sounded like sourdough's rig is a little lighter and it was struggling with that.