PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheel Hitch Reminder

Phil Saran
05-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Today I was doing a little maintenance on my truck and I took a
look at the 5th wheel hitch and found that the bolt that holds the
assembly in place in the goose neck the bolt was loose and up about
1/2" tightened it down and torqued to the recommended 80 pounds.
I have the B&W 16thousand pound slider hitch.

Just another item to keep an eye on.

Gary R.
05-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the heads up!

That is great advice.

Be safe,

Gary

+Ruff Rider
05-04-2020, 09:02 AM
My hitch has a lock on my bolt so it can't back out. I have B&W 20,000.

JRTJH
05-04-2020, 09:17 AM
It's not just B&W hitches that have bolts, lock washers and nuts to hold parts together. Every other brand also uses bolts/nuts to secure legs to the hitch head and/or to the swivel joints that hold the hitch head to the base.

Everyone would benefit from doing a "hitch inspection" to include checking all attaching hardware for security....

It's the same with many/most weight distributing hitches used for towing conventional travel trailers as well.

A regular, timely "hardware inspection" wouldn't be a bad idea for anyone with a travel trailer.....

wiredgeorge
05-04-2020, 01:14 PM
If you have an Andersen Ultimate there are socket head screws that hold the head part that goes over the puck on your hitch that WILL back out over time. Since there is no mechanical way to keep these screws from backing out, I suggest some blue Loctite on them. Mine need to be tightened regularly and I check them prior to every trip. Pretty sure you don't want that thing to fall off while on the road.

+Ruff Rider
05-04-2020, 07:07 PM
If you have to tighten bolts on your hitch than loktite would be on every bolt on the hitch. Thankfully my B&W only has one bolt without lock washers. Like OP said Its the center bolt in his B&W hitch. Mine has a locking collar that goes over the head of the bolt to keep it from backing out.