PDA

View Full Version : 2nd grey tank?

Bbouch84
05-03-2020, 11:15 AM
So the new camper has two grey tanks. The owners manual was not very helpful on answeribg whats for what. But i assume the front grey tank is for the kitchen sink. And rear is for shower and bathroom sink. Can anyone confirm this or do they both kinda tie into each other.

flybouy
05-03-2020, 11:24 AM
The gray tanks will be mounted nearer to where the source is, i.e. if the is in front then I'd guess the front tank would service that. As for the 2 tanks being connected someon who owns the exact model may clarify but take a good look under the camper and see if there are more than 2 valve handles. They have been known to "hide" them near the frame, under the slide, etc.

travelin texans
05-03-2020, 11:49 AM
It's not typical for 2 grey tanks to be plumbed together, but it is a RV so ANYTHING is possible.
Depending on tank locations it's possible to use an add-on valve at your dump outlet & by keeping it closed open both grey tanks to equalize them, typically the bath will fill much quicker due to showers, be sure to close both grey valves before opening/dumping the black tank.

Logan X
05-03-2020, 12:13 PM
I don’t have the same model as you but I do have 2 gray tanks. One is for the galley (I’m amusing myself by using the nautical term) and the other is the bathroom sink and shower. They all come out of the same sewer line but each has its own valve handle.

I have heard some people say their bathroom sink drains into then black tank.

rhagfo
05-03-2020, 12:47 PM
I donít have the same model as you but I do have 2 gray tanks. One is for the galley (Iím amusing myself by using the nautical term) and the other is the bathroom sink and shower. They all come out of the same sewer line but each has its own valve handle.

I have heard some people say their bathroom sink drains into then black tank.

Thia without knowing the model of your 5er.

Logan X
05-03-2020, 01:39 PM
Thia without knowing the model of your 5er.

I don’t understand your response. I have a Hideout 24BHSWE, listed on my signature. The op has a Bullet 261RBS according to his profile page.

Steve's 70-5
05-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Are there 2 or 3 dump valves?

How many hook ups for sewer hoses?

KRumm
05-03-2020, 06:03 PM
My 5th wheel has a 3 tank (1 black - 2 gray) The wet bay has two hand valves in the wet bay labels black and gray (bathroom) then there is a third hand valve under the rig between the tires for the 2nd gray (kitchen) tank...

Bbouch84
05-04-2020, 07:17 AM
My 261 has 2 hose hookups. The front grey only and the back grey and black. 3 total valves two total hose hookups

travelin texans
05-04-2020, 07:48 AM
My 261 has 2 hose hookups. The front grey only and the back grey and black. 3 total valves two total hose hookups

If you've got 2 hookups then it's a fairly sure bet your 2 grey are not connected.
You can however buy a Y connector for you sewer hose along with 3 hoses & connect both to dump.

Huntme
05-04-2020, 09:18 PM
my black and my first gray tank are on the same dual handle valve,my second gray tank,is my galley,or kitchen tank,in my 2011 30 skwe Hideout.so I need two hoses,one on black and gray,on my Gallie tank.

JBWardFamily
05-11-2020, 10:01 AM
I've got the same question. I've got two outlet ports. One for the rear gray tank with no T handle and one midway up with two T handles, one for black and one for gray. I can positively tell you they are not connected and the mid handle does not control the rear port. I was able to quickly remove the cap and put on the sewer hose before soaking the area in dish water, but there's got to be an easier way. I'd like to be able to use my sink without being connected to sewer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2017 X-Lite 33MLS.

Logan X
05-11-2020, 10:14 AM
I've got the same question. I've got two outlet ports. One for the rear gray tank with no T handle and one midway up with two T handles, one for black and one for gray. I can positively tell you they are not connected and the mid handle does not control the rear port. I was able to quickly remove the cap and put on the sewer hose before soaking the area in dish water, but there's got to be an easier way. I'd like to be able to use my sink without being connected to sewer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2017 X-Lite 33MLS.

An easy fix would be this termination gate valve

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/T58.html

JRTJH
05-11-2020, 10:33 AM

If there is an outlet (gray tank drain connection) then there IS a valve for that tank. It may be that the rod and T-handle vibrated off and are lost, or it may be that you just haven't located the T-handle tucked up next to the bottom belly on the frame rail, but "somewhere" there's a valve handle to actuate the valve that's a mandatory part of keeping that gray tank from "always draining onto the ground. NO gray tank has an outlet that's only closed by a "twist on cap at the outlet" There IS a valve for that tank.... Keep looking for either the "hole where the rod used to be" or the "t-handle that's hard to see when peeking under the side of the trailer... Get on a creeper, lay on your back with a good flashlight. You'll find where the T-handle is located or the hole where the rod used to go through the underbelly material. Hint: If it's on the underbelly, look for a "blob of black spray foam". That's almost always how Keystone seals the "rod hole in the coroplast"...

JBWardFamily
05-13-2020, 03:47 PM
If there is an outlet (gray tank drain connection) then there IS a valve for that tank. It may be that the rod and T-handle vibrated off and are lost, or it may be that you just haven't located the T-handle tucked up next to the bottom belly on the frame rail, but "somewhere" there's a valve handle to actuate the valve that's a mandatory part of keeping that gray tank from "always draining onto the ground. NO gray tank has an outlet that's only closed by a "twist on cap at the outlet" There IS a valve for that tank.... Keep looking for either the "hole where the rod used to be" or the "t-handle that's hard to see when peeking under the side of the trailer... Get on a creeper, lay on your back with a good flashlight. You'll find where the T-handle is located or the hole where the rod used to go through the underbelly material. Hint: If it's on the underbelly, look for a "blob of black spray foam". That's almost always how Keystone seals the "rod hole in the coroplast"...

Found it. Upon closer inspection I found a few threads sticking out beside the port connection. Got an extension kit from the local camper store, but didn't like the setup so I got a 1/4 turnbuckle from Lowes to get me by until I can make something more permanent. I checked the other two and they were loose too. Thanks for the advice.

CaptnJohn
05-14-2020, 11:32 AM
Never assume with an Rv. The guy that plumbed it may have no clue what he is doing or did. It makes sense the washer would go to a gray tank. 1st thing I did was have a washer run to make sure it didn’t leak. Open closest gray tank and nothing, hit 1st black valve and here it came. I have 2 black and 2 gray, a crapshoot until sure.

rlh1957
05-14-2020, 12:46 PM
One of our grey tanks catches the kitchen sink water, the second grey tank catches bathroom sink and shower water. Each tank has it's own T-Valve to dump, as well as a black tank dump valve. We have to use two hoses from front and rear grey tank with a Y connector, unless we dump back grey, then move the hose to front to dump black and front grey.

RickReichert
05-14-2020, 04:07 PM
They are usually separate. There should be 3 dump valve handles somewhere under the trailer.

JWS
05-15-2020, 04:55 AM
Found it. Upon closer inspection I found a few threads sticking out beside the port connection. Got an extension kit from the local camper store, but didn't like the setup so I got a 1/4 turnbuckle from Lowes to get me by until I can make something more permanent. I checked the other two and they were loose too. Thanks for the advice.

After purchasing my Cougar first thing I did was to remove all 3 T handles extensions and turn buckles and reinstall with Loctite on the threads. Haven't had any vibrate loose since then.

RFmixer
09-13-2020, 05:23 PM
So the new camper has two grey tanks. The owners manual was not very helpful on answeribg whats for what. But i assume the front grey tank is for the kitchen sink. And rear is for shower and bathroom sink. Can anyone confirm this or do they both kinda tie into each other.
Not sure what model you have, but I have a Bullet 248RKS and you assumption is correct per my TT. The 2 gray tanks are plumbed separately, the rear for the kitchen sink.

Tresslerd
10-19-2020, 08:34 AM
My 2010 passport 288RRK Has two grey tanks that are tied together for overflow but when draining require separate connection to sewer line. Rear is galley tank and is unlabeled underneath at the rear under the kitchen. It has separate drain and valve pull/connection.

skids
10-19-2020, 01:21 PM
My 2010 passport 288RRK Has two grey tanks that are tied together for overflow but when draining require separate connection to sewer line. Rear is galley tank and is unlabeled underneath at the rear under the kitchen. It has separate drain and valve pull/connection.

Overflow is connecting two tanks? I wonder if my Bullet 248RKS is like that? Anyone know? I am not going to pull the corroplast to find out.

travelin texans
10-19-2020, 03:26 PM

I've seen/heard of some sinks or showers draining into the black tank, but other than someone adding the twist on valve at the sewer hose connection I've never seen of 2 grey tanks connected from the factory.
Not familiar with the floorplan of your rv, but typically if the kitchen & bath are significantly separated requiring 2 tanks I wouldn't believe the 2 tanks are connected together due the length of piping to do so, plus usually 2 separate valves = 2 separate tanks.
I'm no expert or rv tech so my opinion may not be worth the time it took to type it.

Maineiacs
10-20-2020, 04:34 AM
In our Cougar, both gray tanks are definitely tied together. Two handles, one for black, one for gray, along with two drain pipes, one black, one gray. When dumping the gray tanks there is an initial rush of water for 30 seconds or so, a pause and then a second surge. Once done, both gray tanks are empty. We were lucky enough to get in more than 30 days last year, so I know both gray tanks emptied or we'd have a major flood someplace!

Tresslerd
10-20-2020, 04:20 PM
I've seen/heard of some sinks or showers draining into the black tank, but other than someone adding the twist on valve at the sewer hose connection I've never seen of 2 grey tanks connected from the factory.
Not familiar with the floorplan of your rv, but typically if the kitchen & bath are significantly separated requiring 2 tanks I wouldn't believe the 2 tanks are connected together due the length of piping to do so, plus usually 2 separate valves = 2 separate tanks.
I'm no expert or rv tech so my opinion may not be worth the time it took to type it.
Well I sure thought mine were connected at the top. I had a grey tank back up or so I thought as my kitchen sink was backed up. I thought the p trap was plugged so I took it apart but it was clear but filled with nasty water and the down pipe was full. I drained it down to the floor level and removed the pipe till just 6 inches was sticking up out of the floor under the kitchen sink with water about an inch down from the lip. The snake I used in the pipe seemed to bend forward and the pipe seemed to lead up to the grey tank In the middle of the RV that I thought was backed up somewhere. So I snaked it 24 ft.....no blockage. However maybe the snake just went down into the galley tank but it seemed it was going forward. Then I realized there was a second sewer connection at the very back tucked up under the frame but not labeled. I connected it to Sewer and drained it and my sink was no longer backed up. It was a separate galley drain. So tanks may be connected to overflow into each other but require separate draining but maybe not.

LHaven
10-20-2020, 04:30 PM
I suspect the much more likely explanation is that your tanks are not interconnected and you just found the second dump valve. I haven't heard of a Keystone product with interconnected gray tanks that wasn't the result of a customer modification.