PDA

View Full Version : RE or RL

turbopilot51
10-16-2011, 06:51 PM
The wife and I are starting the process of looking to move from a tt to a fiver. The floor plans we like so far are the rear entertainment(preferred) or the real living. I know there are lots of models in the Keystone lineup that include these. The wife really likes the Alpine 3500RE, but I am open to other possibilities. What are the advantages to and disadvantages to each floor plan? The side bath is a must to me.

Festus2
10-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I think you will find that floorplans are almost entirely a matter of personal preference - there are as many likes and dislikes as there are plans. As a result, what is an advantage for one may be a disadvantage for another.
As you have probably found out, preferences vary even between husband and wife; and, like most differences of opinion, can often be settled by comprimise. If it happens that both of you really like a certain floorplan, then that is what I would go with.
Another factor to consider is the number of people that will be in your unit. Are you a camping couple without children? But remember, the unit is for you or for you and your family.
What works for us may not work for you.

mikell
10-17-2011, 10:53 AM
We like the rl for the view bt were fulltimers and like to see whats going on

hankpage
10-17-2011, 11:45 AM
At the time we were shopping for our's I don't recall seeing any REs but we really liked the RLs. Then when we saw that one of the chairs had to be flipped up on top of the couch in order to bring in the slide we went with the RK and it has fit our needs perfectly. I hope they have remedied that flaw in the RL design since. If you both agree on the floor-plan ... that's a match made in heaven. JM2¢, Hank

mobile42
10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
The DW and I enjoy the rear entertainment because when one of us are cooking, we can both see the TV without having to twist our necks to see what's showing.:thumbsup:

pjhansman
10-18-2011, 04:11 AM
At the time we were shopping for our's I don't recall seeing any REs but we really liked the RLs. Then when we saw that one of the chairs had to be flipped up on top of the couch in order to bring in the slide we went with the RK and it has fit our needs perfectly. I hope they have remedied that flaw in the RL design since. If you both agree on the floor-plan ... that's a match made in heaven. JM2¢, Hank

Fortunately we both wanted and love the RL design.....and we don't have to put the chairs on the couch to close the slide. That definately would've been an issue. :)

hankpage
10-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Fortunately we both wanted and love the RL design.....and we don't have to put the chairs on the couch to close the slide. That definately would've been an issue. :)

I'm glad to hear that they have improved the design, Maybe one of the designers actually camped in one. :rolleyes:

msp2jxr
10-18-2011, 07:17 AM
We have the Cougar 326MKS with a large back window... We backed it up to a large wooded gully and turned our chairs around so we could have the view out the large back window. It was beautiful. We also prefer having the couch directly across from the TV without having to turn. Just giving you some things to think about because a floor plan is really a personal thing. Jay and Lori

Wayne
10-18-2011, 08:19 AM
We recently purchased a Cougar High Country 299RK and were originally looking at RE and RL. We loved the RE but switched when DW discovered some RE's have no pantry or linen closet. We previously had a Cougar RL and the more we looked at the RK, the more we liked it. It really comes down to what best meets your personality & needs.

JRTJH
10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
We have the Cougar 326MKS with a large back window... We backed it up to a large wooded gully and turned our chairs around so we could have the view out the large back window. It was beautiful. We also prefer having the couch directly across from the TV without having to turn. Just giving you some things to think about because a floor plan is really a personal thing. Jay and Lori

We do the same thing at Tourist Park in Munising Michigan. There are a number of sites in their campground that back right onto Lake Superior. It's so awsome to wake up before the sun comes up and perk a pot of coffee, sit in the chairs looking out that big back window and watch the sun come up over the lake, waves turning golden, then orange, then bright white as they shuffle to shore right behind the camper....

It's hard not to realize just how much work was put into those 6 days before He rested on Sunday..... :thumbsup:

hankaye
10-18-2011, 03:57 PM
turbopilot51, Howdy;

The wife and I are starting the process of looking to move from a tt to a fiver. The floor plans we like so far are the rear entertainment(preferred) or the real living. I know there are lots of models in the Keystone lineup that include these. The wife really likes the Alpine 3500RE, but I am open to other possibilities. What are the advantages to and disadvantages to each floor plan? The side bath is a must to me.

As you started this query with the words "The wife" (should have been capitalized), you need only go that far. As far as the day to day doin's go SHE will be much more in tune and in touch (literialy), with whatever you two decied on (meaning that her "feelings " about what is most comfortable for HER), Never met a woman that didn't sit in a car (or pick-up), to see if it "felt right" before buyin' one... That stuff is important (to them),

Great Gran Pap, used to say; "If the cook ain't happy NO one IS!"

Simply placed here for your consideration.... your mileage may vary...

hankaye

mikell
10-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Our las unit had huge back windows nearly floor to celing. We took an put the kitchen table there and just loved it.we had to put pieces of 2x4 under the couch when it was pulled out because it was on the slide but it was worth having the view at the kitchen table

Bob Landry
10-19-2011, 12:14 PM
I went with the RL on my Outback simply because I enjoy the view out of the back window. Mine is a 2010 and I do have to flip one of the chairs up on the couch to close the slide, but that wasn't a deal breaker since it doesn't happen that much.

ktmracer
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
The RL and RE both offer great views out the rear windows and a nice living area. It's really a matter of personal preference and layouts which one is best for you.

We went for RE with dual rear slides on our Outback, we liked the big living area, enough room around the sofa/airbed for our Daughter and SIL to also have room for our grandson in a crib and still walk around. The RL models we were interested in didn't offer as much room. Also we found that with the slides in we could easily get to everything we wanted for a lunch/break stop. (Fridge, Bath, Bedroom, Kitchen, Microwave, table). The RL models we were interested in didn't offer this level of accesibility.

But in the end, it's really an individual preference and what's important to you.

Bob Landry
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
It really does come down to personal preference. We went with the RL simply because we didn't want our view out the rear window obstructed with the television and neither of us wanted to have to twist our neck to watch TV. The space afforded by the double slide may be a consideration for some, but with just me and DW, space really wasn't an issue.

Txoutback
11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
We have the RL as well but rather than flipping the chair onto the couch we slide it to where it is facing the back door and strap it to the other chair. We keep a piece of carpet under it so not to mar the floor. We chose ours for the slide out bedroom with the large front wardrobe and dresser. The big back window is nice but it was the bedroom and access to everything that sold us.

msp2jxr
11-14-2011, 12:50 PM
We do the same thing at Tourist Park in Munising Michigan. There are a number of sites in their campground that back right onto Lake Superior. It's so awsome to wake up before the sun comes up and perk a pot of coffee, sit in the chairs looking out that big back window and watch the sun come up over the lake, waves turning golden, then orange, then bright white as they shuffle to shore right behind the camper....

It's hard not to realize just how much work was put into those 6 days before He rested on Sunday..... :thumbsup:
Sounds like you and I are on the same wave length....

Wcamper12
06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
My wife and I have a rl now but last unit was an re. I preferred the rl 5ver now for the large view out the back. Her only complaint is not being able to see the tv while cooking. We only have to slide the chairs back to close the slides (no stacking!).

Trixie47
06-18-2012, 04:05 AM
We have the RE and love it....only because I like the seperation of the kitchen and living area. Big rear window to see outside if wanted. To me it was important to have a bathroom door open up to the bedroom and also to the hallway. It is a personal preference for everyone !!! Just get out there and enjoy the family and this great country !! "bouncey: