PDA

View Full Version : RV Blinds

rodgebone
04-29-2020, 02:16 PM
Like everyone else my fabric factory window blind strings have all frayed or broke during my first 8 months full timing. It's simple enough to replace the strings themselves but the bigger issue is how to reattach the string anchors to the plywood wall without stripping out previously used holes that wont hold any longer or without making new ones. even before I bought my wrig new i noticed several attempts by the mfg or PDI to secure these points; each time creating a new hole for the screws. the current attaching holes quickly stripped out so some of my blinds are not secure and in an unusable state unless i keep threading new holes to the left and right or up and down from the center point. I can see in a couple years each anchor point will have so many holes that the plywood is just going to rip right through the decorative wall covering.

I cant keep creating new screw holes in the plywood. I thought about more permanent expanding anchor screws that dont require ripping the whole plywood wall out to attach secure reinforcing plates with backside nuts etc...what have you guys done to resolve this? surely i'm not the only one with this problem. have to say im not happy with the thoughtless lack of "engineering" here but I gotta laugh cuz you know, ITS JUST BLINDS considering every other issue faced as an RV owner. still, no one wants a dozen holes in their wall to look at in their new wrig. its just tacky. thoughts?

nied
04-29-2020, 03:11 PM
I've had to repair mine a time or two. Next time they are going to be replaced with roller shades - http://www.irvineshadeanddoor.com/products/roller-shades/. The slow rise version with both day and night shades. I saw them on a youtube video from https://www.fateunbound.com/rv-upgrade-videos/. They are a young couple RVing full time.

Customer1
04-29-2020, 03:43 PM
Use 1/8" pop toggles from Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-1-8-in-Pop-Toggles-with-Screws-6-Pack-376254/202243046?modalType=drawer

You'll need longer screws.

chuckster57
04-29-2020, 07:00 PM
I commonly use bamboo skewers to “shim” the hole. Seems to be working, haven’t had many comebacks over the years.

Summergirl
04-30-2020, 05:13 AM
I commonly use bamboo skewers to “shim” the hole. Seems to be working, haven’t had many comebacks over the years.

That’s my go to solution with a dab of gorilla glue. Works like a charm.

JRTJH
04-30-2020, 07:20 AM
If all else fails and there's "simply no luan left to hold a screw"...

You can attach a "decorative oak 1x2 strip" the length of the window, in the location where the string buttons were installed. Cut the 1x2 so it spans from one "structural support to the next" (from stud to stud), finish it to compliment your tastes in color/finish and then attach the buttons for the blinds to that 1x2.

HINT: usually there is a vertical stud at the edge of each window opening, so the length of the 1x2 would usually be about 2 or 3 inches longer than the window opening, usually the same length as the blind width.

roadglide
04-30-2020, 09:13 AM
I have had good luck with wood workers glue like Elmers glue .

+Ruff Rider
04-30-2020, 03:15 PM
This may sound like a hokey idea but if you can make a small 1x1 flat piece of wood not plywood real wood. Stain it to look nice and trace out the wall paper and cut some out so you can glue the wood to the wall. it wont stick to wall paper. If you make it small enough than people won't notice it much. Maybe 1 1/2 square would also work. Just a idea. Hope I explained it good enough.

rodgebone
05-19-2020, 06:37 AM
Use 1/8" pop toggles from Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-1-8-in-Pop-Toggles-with-Screws-6-Pack-376254/202243046?modalType=drawer

You'll need longer screws.

Welp, I gave these a go and they work great. Used them on 4 different blinds. they didnt spread out behind the wall (must be a lack of clearance - so didnt need the longer screws as a result) but stay in the hole nice and snug and even allow the screw to be removed and reinstalled repeatedly without issue. these suckers arent going anywhere. problem solved... thanks again folks!

travelin texans
05-19-2020, 07:10 AM
Welp, I gave these a go and they work great. Used them on 4 different blinds. they didnt spread out behind the wall (must be a lack of clearance - so didnt need the longer screws as a result) but stay in the hole nice and snug and even allow the screw to be removed and reinstalled repeatedly without issue. these suckers arent going anywhere. problem solved... thanks again folks!

The reason they didn't spread out is due to the exterior walls are laminated with about 2" of styrofoam as insulation.