PDA

View Full Version : New Bullet mattress HELP

Bbouch84
04-29-2020, 09:57 AM
So earlier this year in febuary we bout a new 2020 bullet. Which we love. And currently i get the joys of quarantining in it due to this dang virus.. The mattress Sucks i already have a divot in it and seems like there is no padding what so ever. Does anyone have any tils or tricks to make the mattress more comfy.. please help

sourdough
04-29-2020, 10:19 AM
Obviously the ideal answer is a new mattress like you want IMO. I've never had a new "RV" mattress, no matter how "upgraded" it was, that was comfortable. If that isn't possible thick toppers seem to be a popular modification. We have tried one that was about 1 1/2" thick and it didn't do a thing for us. I think others have used them up to maybe 3" thick if I recall. If you have a divot in the middle another thing you could do is just look at the mattress platform. I had one years ago that seemed like we rolled to the middle. The little wooden brace across the platform, supported by nothing on the ends, had pulled loose on both ends as the platform bowed to the middle. Rebuilt the support and all was good. Before buying anything for the mattress be sure and measure it to see exactly what it is; RV, residential etc.

wobly
04-29-2020, 11:04 AM
We were going to get a whole new mattress since the one that came in our trailer was so hard, but I went to Sam's and bought a 4" memory foam topper and cut it down to size with an electric knife. It's served us well for two seasons so far.

notanlines
04-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Bill, in our opinion (DW and I) you can't there from here. We have never slept on a topper that didn't make us sweat in the night. Get off the dime, part with the money and look forward to that time in the sack! (Sorry about visual. This is a family site)
See how easy it is for me to spend your money?:D

Bbouch84
04-29-2020, 12:45 PM
So are you saying new mattress or get a foam topper?? And where is a good place to get a mattress if thats the choice

travelin texans
04-29-2020, 01:08 PM
So are you saying new mattress or get a foam topper?? And where is a good place to get a mattress if thats the choice

Online is as good as any place to find a better mattress, we've bought this way on our last 2 RVs, sorry don't recall the sites.
Skip the mattress stores unless you're made of money & willing to pay 10 times what a mattress is worth.

flybouy
04-29-2020, 01:13 PM
That's a personal preference and few people will admit they wasted money buying a "topper". They way I look at it putting a topper on top of a POS mattress is like putting mag wheels on a garbage truck. But this is a big guy (ok full disclosure fat guy) that crushed 3 vertebrae in my lower back when I was young. YMMV

nied
04-29-2020, 01:29 PM
We installed an IKEA MORGEDAL in our Bullett. It is reasonably comfortable and has held up well as we have logged about 12 months in the trailer. They also have the MATRAND and the MYRBACKA at higher price points. The mattress comes rolled up so installation is simple.

As an add, our unit is 248RKS. I changed out the platform so that a full size queen is in the trailer. Much more comfortable.

sourdough
04-29-2020, 01:45 PM

Measure your mattress. If it a common residential style you can buy a new one anywhere that sells mattresses. If it is a RV size, angled corners etc. it will be much more difficult, and expensive. Anymore we opt for a residential queen then go to Denver Mattress and pick one we like....then they put it in the trailer for us.

JimQ
04-29-2020, 02:05 PM
When we bought out Bullet it was obvious the mattress had to go. After doing research and with the advise I read on this forum, we bought a mattress thru Parkland RV mattress Co. It was shipped in an airtight package that you open in place. It was well worth the price. It is so comfortable. Good luck with your choice.

notanlines
04-29-2020, 02:26 PM
We simply can't sleep on foam. If it comes in the mail, UPS or FedEx then it's a good chance it is foam. Millions of people can and don't mind the idea that it doesn't breathe. We just wanted a real mattress.

sourdough
04-29-2020, 02:42 PM
We simply can't sleep on foam. If it comes in the mail, UPS or FedEx then it's foam. Millions of people can and don't mind the idea that it doesn't breathe. We just wanted a real mattress.

^^^^This is us as well.

JRTJH
04-29-2020, 02:59 PM
We simply can't sleep on foam. If it comes in the mail, UPS or FedEx then it's foam. Millions of people can and don't mind the idea that it doesn't breathe. We just wanted a real mattress.

I'm not a mattress salesman and don't have much experience in what "sells and what doesn't". But, Camping World sells a "rolled up mattress" that is not a foam slab mattress. When we bought ours, it was called the Euro-top plush". It's a "pocket coil mattress with an organic cotton cover" I've no doubt there's a "foam layer" between the pocket coils and the cotton cover, but it's not a "solid foam slab, rolled for shipping"...

https://www.campingworld.com/motorhome-innerspace-contour-comfort-7-rv---mattress-in-a-box-622930.html?cgid=mattresses#start=8&cgid=inside-rv%2Fbedroom%2Fmattresses

I think we paid somewhere around $350 for ours, the current RV short queen is $661, so that puts the current one in the "not cheap for an RV mattress" category.

I don't know if any other outlets sell a similar mattress, but I'd suspect there are a few. Our Euro-top mattress is now 8 years old and we're planning to sleep on it again this season. For us, it's comfortable. That said, everyone has their "favorite mattress" just like everyone has their favorite dessert.

Northofu1
04-29-2020, 03:29 PM
Bill, in our opinion (DW and I) you can't there from here. We have never slept on a topper that didn't make us sweat in the night. Get off the dime, part with the money and look forward to that time in the sack! (Sorry about visual. This is a family site)

^^^^^ X 2
I used a 2" piece of cool foam, it worked well as I am usually a hot mess in bed. I bought a new trailer that has a full queen, it's junk too, but I have a good queen mattress here ready to swap out.
Good luck

JimQ
04-29-2020, 03:36 PM
I had concerns spending $400 on a mattress that ships thru the mail. I'm just saying we couldn't be more happy with it. It "breathes" fine and it is a "real" mattress. I spent serious money for the one we have at home which is super comfortable and the Parklane in the Bullet is as comfortable. Oh, did I mention it has real inner springs? Check it out on their website.

Roscommon48
04-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Simple rule....RV mattresses suck! Always get one you like.

Logan X
04-29-2020, 06:40 PM
I use a memory foam mattress topper. The wife and I both love it. We got is at Costco. It’s called “Innocor Comfort.”

Dave Gamble
04-30-2020, 06:32 AM
We replaced the king size mattress that came with our 2019 Cougar 26RBS last Oct with this mattress and it's been worth every penny.

https://www.amazon.com/Graphite-Infused-Memory-Mattress-Sleeps/dp/B07X58KNNT?th=1

The DW

linux3
04-30-2020, 07:29 AM

Totally agree.
That's why we put our foam topper under the mattress. A "bottomer"?
But anyway, it's comfy and sweat free.

Briansdeluxe
05-07-2020, 07:27 AM
I bought the 4 inch foam topper from Sams and it has worked well so far.

mj5150
05-07-2020, 07:42 AM
One of the first things my wife wanted to do was upgrade the mattress when we bought our new Raptor. We're full timers.
I resisted believing it was just something she read about others doing online and now wanted one too.
I'm also a big guy, but can sleep just about anywhere, so it didn't bother me. It finally got to me too, so we upgraded to a real mattress from Sealy. It's not an RV mattress, so it hangs over the edge a few inches.
That's ok, the additional comfort is worth it.
We don't have room for the box spring or base they recommended and since our bed is adjustable, we couldn't user it anyway. I'm sure it would be even more comfy not sitting on plywood.
My opinion may be different from others since we're full timers, but this is something I recommend new RV'ers do first, upgrade the mattress.

-Mike

neveser
05-07-2020, 08:39 AM
We replaced our mattress a year after getting our new Bullet. Woke up sore with shoulder aches, neck problems... etc. I really wanted a good night's sleep after hiking all day. We went to Amazon and bought a 9 inch foam mattress for around $200. Totally worth it. I sleep so well now. In fact, I might actually be a bit more comfortable sleeping in the camper vs my bed at home! :lol:

SC GT Yellow Jacket
05-07-2020, 09:03 AM
We bought a new 2020 Cougar 29RLD with "King" mattress. Lasted 7 nights. Ordered a new mattress from MatressInsider.com. Got great service with a custom sized mattress at a reasonable price. You will not be disappointed. I get nothing for this tip. I could send you a link to use to get something for it but I won't

We bought a memory foam mattress but they make all kinds. Very trustworthy company.

BadmanRick
05-07-2020, 10:12 AM
We had the same problem. So I purchased a Travel Happy (Custom Size Request) with A 8 INCH Short Queen New Cooler Sleep Graphite Gel Memory Foam Mattress with Premium Textured 8-Way Stretch Cover for Campers, RV's and Trailers From Amazon.com. Best mattress we have had.

InkedMarie
05-07-2020, 10:22 AM
We bought a new 2020 Cougar 29RLD with "King" mattress. Lasted 7 nights. Ordered a new mattress from MatressInsider.com. Got great service with a custom sized mattress at a reasonable price. You will not be disappointed. I get nothing for this tip. I could send you a link to use to get something for it but I won't

We bought a memory foam mattress but they make all kinds. Very trustworthy company.

We got our queen from Mattress Insider as well. Ordered last Wednesday, from the campground lol and it was here on Monday!

Great service & very helpful. My husband is 250lb and he recommended the correct mattress.

poelma
05-07-2020, 01:36 PM
New matress, try Dynasty. They have RV sizes. We bought a short king for our 2019 Cougar. Bought it direct online. Amazon also carries them but was actually cheaper with free shipping and free pillows from Dynasty.

dutchmensport
05-07-2020, 02:31 PM
In a previous travel trailer we tried to use the factory provided mattress and after a few months we hated it. We ended up getting a mattress topper from Bed Bath and Beyond. Although it helped make sleeping a bit more comfortable, there was still the shoddy factory mattress under it. And the topper constantly slid around and was an absolute pain in the neck to deal with. Especially since the bed lifted up for storage under it. Lifting up the storage lid, lifted up the matters also, and that caused the topper to slide around too. The whole thing was just an aggravating pain.

We ended up getting a Serta and quit counting sheep! We had Serta's in our house and it was a good choice for the trailer too.

Then we got the second trailer and we kept the Serta and put it on the bed immediately. We put the shoddy matters from the new camper into the old camper we traded and kept our Serta in the new camper. And we used the Serta for another 8 years in that camper.

Then we traded again, and did the same thing. So, that same mattress lived through 3 different travel trailers. Then we decided in in the 3rd trailer to get rid of the full size and we swapped that Serta for a Queen Serta. When we traded for our current fifth wheel, we let the Queen Serta go with the camper as we had no replacement.

It turned out, the factory mattress that came with our Montana High Country has been pretty comfortable. But, after a year and half (and we sleep on it every night, even at home), we've noticed when changing sheets, the fabric is wearing very, very thin and looking awful. No springs have popped through yet, but probably before this Summer is over, we'll have a new Serta --- King!

Don't mess around with toppers. Just bite the bullet and get a new mattress. I'm not recommending Serta. We picked Serta and love them. But, whatever YOU are using in your house, whatever brand you have, you can use it in your camper too and be comfortable.

sonofcy
05-08-2020, 10:47 AM
So earlier this year in febuary we bout a new 2020 bullet. Which we love. And currently i get the joys of quarantining in it due to this dang virus.. The mattress Sucks i already have a divot in it and seems like there is no padding what so ever. Does anyone have any tils or tricks to make the mattress more comfy.. please help
The first upgrade to most RV's is a new mattress.

steve james
05-08-2020, 04:28 PM
Hey 84 we too bought a cougar 22rsb with a king size mattress and it was awful, Glad i'm not the only one that thought that. We used ours once for a week got home and bought a king memory foam from camping world, I also installed two metal struts in the forward trunk area to help support the OSB plywood ( post pics if you want ) I think Keystone gets their mattress's from the used hotel furniture outlet store . What a way to save money huh ? whats funny we cant even give our old ( new one ) away .

Huntme
05-09-2020, 10:58 AM
I have the same,it is comfortable.
the foam one from Costco.