PDA

View Full Version : Lock down TV

Fishsizzle
04-27-2020, 09:19 PM
So just finished the I can’t sleep marathon of Tiger King. What a freak show.

Anyway, going through Netflix, stumbled on a documentary on ZZ Top.

If you like their music, you get to learn how they found their bandmates and their sound. It’s pretty good!

Northofu1
04-28-2020, 12:49 AM
I saw that, it was pretty good.
Tiger king? I got 10 mins into it, click,,,,,

TJO
04-28-2020, 02:42 AM
I have seen the ZZ top doc it as well it was good. Tiger King well not so much.

flybouy
04-28-2020, 02:56 AM
If you get AXStv they run some good programs on their channel. Rock Legends, The Big Interview, and others.

gearhead
04-28-2020, 03:24 AM
Heck I lived the ZZ TOP documentary. LOL. Used to go see them for $1.50 when they called themselves "Moving Sidewalk". I'm thinking they opened for Johnny Winter frequently back then. Went to community college with Billy Gibbons. I'll always remember that old Ford Econoline van packed with amplifiers in the school parking lot. They were just a step above a garage band at that point. Billy used tear that flying V Gibson up. Don't know what he is using these days. I remember seeing them with John Lee Hooker at The Catacombs Club. Hooker apparently was travelling without a band and just picking up local whoevers at his gigs. He used ZZ TOP in Houston. And that is where, and from who, ZZ TOP picked up the "how, how, how".
I haven't seen the documentary, heard it was good.

gearhead
04-28-2020, 04:06 AM
Lots of good old pics:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/392657661256257592/

Fishsizzle
04-28-2020, 05:37 AM
Heck I lived the ZZ TOP documentary. LOL. Used to go see them for $1.50 when they called themselves "Moving Sidewalk". I'm thinking they opened for Johnny Winter frequently back then. Went to community college with Billy Gibbons. I'll always remember that old Ford Econoline van packed with amplifiers in the school parking lot. They were just a step above a garage band at that point. Billy used tear that flying V Gibson up. Don't know what he is using these days. I remember seeing them with John Lee Hooker at The Catacombs Club. Hooker apparently was travelling without a band and just picking up local whoevers at his gigs. He used ZZ TOP in Houston. And that is where, and from who, ZZ TOP picked up the "how, how, how".
I haven't seen the documentary, heard it was good.

You’ll like the show. They mention everything you just talked about

Fishsizzle
04-28-2020, 05:39 AM
Man Frank Beard looks rough in it though

gearhead
04-28-2020, 06:18 AM
I imagine that life will catch up with you. I hear they used to party pretty good. A co-worker lived on Galveston Bay and one of ZZ TOP had weekend? place down the street. It apparently would get a bit wild. My co-worker and other neighbors would have to have a "discussion" with them. It was like...WE don't mind the half nekkid girls in the yard but we have kids and y'all need to tone it down.
They used to get around all parts of Houston. I saw a pic of Gibbons taken when he visited a little hole in the wall BBQ/joint I used to visit. Not where you would expect to see him. Really bad neighborhood. Probably had more "COPS" TV show episodes shot there than anywhere.
For whatever reason Houston has a rich music history. A lot of them were either born here, lived here, or passed through very often. And recording....Don Robey to Huey Meaux.