PDA

View Full Version : Generators & Boondocking

rodgebone
04-24-2020, 02:57 PM
I've learned a lot in 8 months of full timing but I'm still relatively new and want to do more boondocking to save on park rent and enjoy a more beautiful camping/living experience at BLMs or parks w/o hookups around the Pacific Northwest. My goal is to stay a week+ at a shot before resupplying and dumping before moving on.

Was going to buy a new Yamaha 2200 gen but now have an opportunity to buy a pair of near new (under 20 hours) Honda EU2000i generators ($1400 for the pair with cables/covers). Generator(s) look like the simpler solution as opposed to an expensive solar setup in a region that is not always so sun friendly. 650watt of solar panels pales against a more rigorous 3600 watt gen setup but which requires more attention daily. Its probably overkill having that much power as I'm not so concerned with running the A/C (although beneficial for a few weeks in summer). nor am i concerned about the microwave or coffee maker. But I do run a 1300watt electric space heater to save on propane and it would be nice to extend my lp supply while boondocking. Other than that i just want to run my TV and 120V outlets to charge my laptop and phone. And of course, charge my onboard 6V Trojans. The math suggests two generators will pay for themselves on BLM/dispersed in just 2 months vs rent in full hookup parks.

Q1: I'm assuming by using the shoreline connected to the generators that my twin 6V batteries will automatically charge the same as when connected to park supplied shore power via my 50amp cord and onboard converter. Also Im wondering if using 50-30amp pucks and dogbones will overheat with extended generator use on a daily basis. Resistance is though adaptors is a worry and I dont want anything melting down.

Q2: I know I need an inverter (500-1000watt best guess) tagged onto my onboard converter (6AWG to the batteries) to power up the TV/laptop/phone charger/space heater. I've noticed some people just use a small 300-500watt inverter for TVs and laptop chargers. maybe a big 1000W inverter is overkill?

Q3: I'm also wondering about buying a portable dump tank as I usually dump a 30 gal black tank every 6 days plus another 30 gal of grey at the same interval. Obviously while boondocking I will conserve better on supply and waste - I've been very liberal thus far but RV parks spoil a person. More trips to dump stations with a portable tank or dumping between locations is okay but im concerned about flushing my black tank while boondocking with limited water supply. I like to do a very thorough flush everytime I dump and that will NOT be possible boondocking. guess it will have to be done at extended sessions at dump stations if no one else is in line behind me.

I'm sure this has been asked many times on here and I've researched it extensively. But I want some feedback for my particular criteria versus a generic answer.

thanks in advance

Logan X
04-24-2020, 03:48 PM
The answer to question 1: Yes, if you plug your shore power cable into your generator it will charge the batteries just like shore power. The Honda 2000s are good, it is what I use. 2 of them for $1400 sounds like a great price. You shouldn’t have an issue using a dogbone adapter. I use a 30amp to 20amp adapter all of the time.

The answer to question 2: For what you want to do, a 1000 watt inverter is overkill. I use a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter to run my tv and Apple TV. It works great. I installed several usb outlets on the 12v system and I use those to charge my phones etc.

The answer to question 3: My guess is you will be able to extend the time between dumping tanks if you are more careful. I think for one person, you could go two weeks pretty easily. I use a portable waste tank at home (blue boy) and it works great. I don’t think it would be as great for Boondocking because it seems like it would be hard to transport the tank when it’s full.

As far as flushing the black tank, I have found it is not really necessary. My trailer is in my back yard and we use it as a guest house/overflow bathroom, so my tank has contents in it most of the time. I use happy camper tank treatment once a week and the black tank is great. No odors or anything. I flush the black tank once or twice a year when I am camping with full hookups.

A word of caution- don’t give in to the temptation to limit the amount of liquid you are putting into the black tank in an effort to conserve the tank. For the tank to function properly, it needs enough liquids to break down the solids. I’m sure you will get a feel for what your tank can do pretty quickly.

Here’s a video on my off grid power set up-

https://youtu.be/iaQZY_naOdE

And here’s a video on my portable waste tank-

https://youtu.be/bwoeeMDul2Y

Canonman
04-24-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm assuming by using the shoreline connected to the generators that my twin 6V batteries will automatically charge the same as when connected to park supplied shore power via my 50amp cord and onboard converter.

Yes

Only excessive amp draw will generate enough heat to melt your adaptors. This should not be a worry since they are designed for the 30/50 amp specified loads and your electrical system is circuit protected for over amp draw.

I know I need an inverter (500-1000watt best guess) tagged onto my onboard converter

We've found a 300 to 750 watt converter is sufficient to run your electronic accessories. I would not suggest running an electric space heater on battery power. Much more efficient to use the furnace. Or, the generator if you really need the space heater.

I'm also wondering about buying a portable dump tank...

We find the black tank can last about 5 to 7 days for the two of us. If your boon-docking has you out for longer periods of time a portable dump tank may be a good option.
We usually need to refill our fresh water and dump our galley grey tank by the time the black fills up which necessitates a trip to a dump station. I'm personally not a fan of portable dump tanks. VERY Messy from what I've seen.

LewisB
04-24-2020, 05:09 PM
I agree with the two previous responses...but I question the whole thing about a "portable" dump tank. My personal opinion is just that and it is not based on experience as I have never owned a portable tank.

I've considered a portable tank for the use outlined by the OP, BUT...is a portable tank really "portable". If you can roll it to a nearby dump station, then I suppose it is. Some of them even have handles you can hook up to your bumper hitch and pull with your truck. But to use one for "boondocking" would, to me, indicate you will need to load this in your truck and take it somewhere. So, how do you get it in your truck? A 10 gallon tank (not very much extra capacity) would weight about 100 pounds full. A 20 gallon tank nearly 200 pounds. How do you get it in the back of the truck, transported to a dump station, back out of the truck, etc. You get my concern...

Then there is the issue of spillage, cleanup, etc. For this reason I have never owned one of these. It is easier to hook up and pull your rig to a dump station than to go through the above process.

So, just some food for thought (pun intended)!

JRTJH
04-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Question 1 has been answered, except for generator capacities. If I remember, most 2000 watt Honda generators (4000 watts total surge capacity) are rated at 1600 watts continuous power output. That's 3200 watts for the pair, not 3600 watts.

Question 2. A 1000 watt inverter is "overkill" to run a 80 watt TV, charge cell phones/tablets at 25-50 watts. The space heater, however won't function on a 1000 watt inverter. You'll need a continuous 1500 watts, that usually means a 3000 watt inverter, both costly and excessively inefficient for your purposes. All you need is a 400-500 watt "connected at the source" inverter for your TV and chargers.

Question 3. There is a means to "flush the black tank" using gray tank contents. You'll need a terminal valve to do it. First you dump the black tank, leave the black tank valve open, then close the terminal valve, open the gray tank valve, gray contents will flow into the plumbing lines, into the black tank. When you hear the gray tank "emptying sounds" start to slow, close the black tank valve, the gray tank valve, then go dump the blue tank with black tank contents in it. When you return, connect the blue tank and again dump the "gray contents that flushed into the black tank" into your blue tank. Finish by opening the gray tank valve and flush the plumbing lines and flex sewer hose with gray tank contents. Go dump the blue tank again, rinse well as it will "smell quite nicely" with what's left of the black tank effluent.

ADDED: A thought regarding the space heater. Running the furnace on LPG is rather expensive, running a space heater on generator power is likely to be the same or nearly the same cost. You might consider a small wall mount catalytic heater (around 3000-5000 BTU) which would give much the same heating capacity and would be "miserly" with LPG consumption.

We have a blue tank, 25 gallon size. I have NEVER dumped the black tank into the blue portable tank. I use it ONLY for gray water and only then in campgrounds with water/electricity. We find that the black tank will last 5-6 days easily, the gray tanks (bathroom and galley) usually only 4-5 days,and we can stretch that to equal the black tank with some planning/conservation. It's when we have "unlimited water" in a campground that we use the blue tank. Daily showers, less conservation necessary, so we fill the gray tanks in 1-2 days. The blue tank allows us to dump the gray water, continue daily showers and essentially "operate the trailer as if we had full hookups"... I just hook the blue tank behind the truck and tow it to the dump station. There's no way I'm lifting 25 gallons of gray water in a 30 pound "plastic bucket" waist high to get it into the truck bed.

JDDilly
04-24-2020, 05:20 PM
What is the need for the inverter? when running the generators you would have enough AC power to run what you need.

I would recommend getting the external gas tank setup, that way you can let the generators run with less worry of running out of gas. Just in case you have some hot weather and want to run the air.

Roscommon48
04-24-2020, 05:31 PM
1. DO not buy the 2000 watt generators. honda now has the 2200 watt generator and it WILL allow you to run a 13.5 K A/C.

I'd say buy the one companion first--you won't have 30amp but you can plug into that. They you'll evenually by the other 2000 watt generator.

And, it will do everything else you want.
2. If you want more, buy the other.

the other stuff is common sense. And I would NOT back flush my black water when dry camping, just dump when Nearly full....

Big1
04-24-2020, 06:18 PM
The Champion duel fuel is what I'm looking at getting, I want to use it at my home also.

Logan X
04-24-2020, 06:38 PM
If you really wanted the portable dump tank to work, you could use a macerator pump (it chops and pumps the contents of the black tank) to pump the black tank into a portable waste tank in the bed if your truck. They are kind of pricey, but they work. Here is a video of someone using that set up-

https://youtu.be/kIoxtpzIQTo

GHen
04-24-2020, 08:34 PM
Lots of great advice above, it’s all right on.
I live in the PNW and also boondock a lot. My Honda 2000 companion runs my 15k A/C, but not my kids A/C’s so your results may vary. I’ve only needed the AC for a few days and that was at lower elevations while I was at state parks.
Don’t plan on using battery for space heater on the inverter. With that said, I run everything you listed and what I need on 350 watt inverter, I suggest 500watts (continuous).

Good pricing on the Honda’s, they are the quietest on the market, the others mentioned are good also. We have only boondocked for just 7 days at a time and with my big tanks they are mostly 3/4 full. My kitchen grey tank fills first, if needed I drain 5 gallons into a bucket and put it in my back tank. Then I dump somewhere on my way home or when moving to a new location.
As far as a portable dump tank, make sure it’s small enough to be able to load in your truck, they get heavy fast.

Also, for 7 days, even with 75 gallons of fresh, I usually need about 10 more gallons of fresh water, so I always bring at least 5 gallons from home.

KRumm
04-25-2020, 04:09 AM
Just as a sideline... As an avid boondocker I can tell you one of the worst things is to have a neighbor (near or far) crank up his/her generator for a few hours to make coffee... If you really want to spend time in the beautiful wilderness invest in solar for the majority of your needs...

A basic 60amp solar setup can be bought for less than $1,400

LewisB
04-25-2020, 06:29 AM
Just as a sideline... As an avid boondocker I can tell you one of the worst things is to have a neighbor (near or far) crank up his/her generator for a few hours to make coffee... If you really want to spend time in the beautiful wilderness invest in solar for the majority of your needs...

I too am an avid boondocker. I get what you are saying relative to "generators" - the 90 db contractor types. I would never take one of these camping either in a park or in the boondocks for the reasons you state. However, the newer "inverter" type generators (say 50 db) and modern "park" type generators installed in our toy haulers are very quiet and can be typically used without disturbing others, even close neighbors. They work 24/7 regardless of weather and deserve consideration in any "power" plan. Our 5500W Onan/Cummins generator, for example, is hard to detect 100' from our rig.

Solar power gets you power for 1/2 the day. For a solar system to provide power at night, you will need extra batteries, an inverter if you want 120VAC, etc. So a quiet generator can be a integral part of a reasonable power plan for camping. Plan based on understanding your intended needs/uses and then take advantage of solar, batteries, generator, inverters, etc. that will get you the power you need at the lowest cost and minimal impact (sound and other) to potential neighbors. JMHO.

Logan X
04-25-2020, 07:14 AM

I’m not a fan of open frame generators or people who run their generator all day long, but running the generator for a couple of hours in the morning seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Just my opinion, but if one wants to have an unadulterated nature experience, maybe they should consider backpacking, not RV camping.

flybouy
04-25-2020, 07:28 AM
I’m not a fan of open frame generators or people who run their generator all day long, but running the generator for a couple of hours in the morning seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Just my opinion, but if one wants to have an unadulterated nature experience, maybe they should consider backpacking, not RV camping.

Or not homesteading so close to others.:)

Canonman
04-25-2020, 07:33 AM
For sure how we all camp is very individualistic. I grew up spending my summers helping out on the farm. That meant tent camping without generators or batteries and inverters rather than making the drive back to town. We had the BEST coffee every morning using one of these:)
Still do

JRTJH
04-25-2020, 07:35 AM

There was a situation that happened around here 5 or 6 years ago, an "eccentric gentleman" sued the federal government/National Forest Service because airplanes were flying over the national forest. He argued that the purpose of the national forest was to "exclude civilization and all parts of civilized living" in the primitive parts of the forest. He argued that the noise from the airplanes "violated his reasonable expectation of silence in the forest". He wanted a "no fly zone" established over certain parts of the national forest... Of course the judge ruled against him, but it just goes to demonstrate that sometimes expectations about nature and natural environment can go to the extremes.....

GHen
04-25-2020, 09:06 AM
There will be lots of varying opinions here depending on which end of the noise you are on. And everyone thinks their generator is the quietest around and don’t want to hear that they spent a bunch of cash unwisely. Expensive generators can be quiet and so can inexpensive ones.
Even though I have 2 generators I agree that hearing generators while camping is very irritating to me. I also have 300 watts solar so I seldom need the generator while camping.

What’s misleading about generator noise is how they are rated. It’s important to see the range like 1/4 power at 50db to full power at 67bd.
50 db is somewhat reasonable, 60 db is loud in a campground especially when your neighbors expect silence.

When I want to be as quiet as possible, I connect my 1000w gens together so they are running in that 1/4 - 1/2 power level at about 53db but would be at 60db at full power individually. That said having a 3000 watt generator running 1/4 power can create more power and be at about mid 50db but be 60+db at full power.

And if everyone else is running their generators because it’s 20 degrees and need heat, or it’s 95 degrees and need cool, well, then nobody seems to care about the noise.
On the other hand, a 7 am generator to make a cup of coffee is just rude. Boil water and use a manual coffee press, they work very well even with K-cups.

flybouy
04-25-2020, 09:24 AM
GHen, I think it all boils down to common sense and being considerate of others. I've been in campgrounds where the idiot with the diesel pusher cranks the engine at 5 a.m. and let's it idle until he departs at 6. You can't fix stupid, it's everywhere.

Logan X
04-25-2020, 11:00 AM

My apologies to KRumm if this came across as snarky. I hadn’t had my coffee yet...pun intended.

KRumm
04-25-2020, 06:50 PM
I have a 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles... And have added solar and a battery bank to easily power the whole rig including a wonderful Italian espresso machine and grinder... (Not including the AC)...

My 600w Solar, 2k inverter, 40a charge controller and 400ah batteries cost me about ~$2,000.. It’s not rocket science...

No climbing out of the rig on a cold morning to fire up a generator... I don’t have to deal with a leaky or smelly gas container... There is more space in my bay, no heavy lifting setup required... No security chains or fear of theft... And no noise pollution to annoy the neighbors...

I guess everyone has their rights... But make no mistake your generator is creating noise pollution and your neighbors are not sitting in their RV thinking that guy has one of those quiet generators and is nice enough to only keep it on for a few hours...

Logan X
04-25-2020, 07:45 PM
I guess everyone has their rights... But make no mistake your generator is creating noise pollution and your neighbors are not sitting in their RV thinking that guy has one of those quiet generators and is nice enough to only keep it on for a few hours...

Actually, that’s exactly what I think when I’m camped near someone with a generator.

KimNTerry
04-28-2020, 02:23 PM

Not just the noise. The stink the generators put off can be just as offensive.

LewisB
04-28-2020, 09:56 PM
GHen, I think it all boils down to common sense and being considerate of others. I've been in campgrounds where the idiot with the diesel pusher cranks the engine at 5 a.m. and let's it idle until he departs at 6. You can't fix stupid, it's everywhere.

I'm sure that some will be offended just because they can see my rig - even within a half mile - just spoiling their view. I think Marshall has it exactly right in his post.

notanlines
04-29-2020, 02:47 AM
Let me drive one more nail in this coffin...it's just like poking a stick through the fence at a barking dog..in our happy hour group in Florida we have a couple that whine continuously about our RV park permanent resident who starts his motorcycle at 4:30 every morning to go to work. (Yes, his only means of transportation) Ironically, this is the same couple with THREE dogs barking sometimes non-stop in their RV. Lucky for DW and I they are in the first row and we're in the back row so we seldom hear them. You can't fix stupid!

Hblick48
04-29-2020, 07:16 AM
I don't want to date myself, but I think the younger generations who were raised with the "you are special" attitude only consider themselves. Don't have the ability to understand how their actions effect others.

rodgebone
04-29-2020, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the input and advice - very much appreciated.

Bought the used twin Hondas mentioned (EU2000i and companion) both in pristine condition: 18 months old with less than 20 hours on the companion and less than 5 on the other - they might as well be brand new. their combined power is overkill for my needs aside from A/C but in the PNW its really not a factor. i'm happy to wear some heat here and there - its not Arizona afterall. Still, $350 more for a 2nd unit was money well spent to have a reserve/backup and I like redundancy.

I've decided the best way to go is to simply get out there and learn the curve along the way knowing my current overall setup will only give 7-9 days at a shot for one or two people. It was wrong to assume anyone could tell me exactly whats required for my individual needs - no one can tell you that. there will be miscalculations here and there but it's okay because that's how you truly learn, not from well intended conjecture and estimates.

Having a lot of redundancy means I can afford to experiment. despite supply failures over the months in all categories (bad sail switch in the furnace, bad bypass valve in the water pump and a blown thermal breaker on the water heater) there were always 2-3+ backups: twin 30 LPs, electric space heater, Buddy Heater, dual supply water heater and fridge, 60 gallon fresh tank (plus portables), 30 gallon black tank & 2-30 gallon grey tanks. worst case there is always extra layers of clothing/blankets and cooking on a campfire and water from nature. if i have to move once a week to dump and refill thats just fine. the LP should last much longer - last time i filled my tanks (actually just one tank) was 3 months ago during mid winter which is why i like the space heater - it paid for itself in two weeks & I rarely ran my LP furnace over the course of winter even with temps in the low 20s. maybe the LP cost versus the space heater is par overall but the hassle was much less than refilling every month. it will be a different story boondocking im sure.

after reading all the responses and advice here are my responses to my own questions...
Q1 - appears not to be an issue whatsoever.
Q2 - I said "I know i need an inverter". think I was wrong here as long as the generator(s) are running and not overloaded running too much at once...im thinking just run one gen for a few hours in the am to recharge the 6Vs AND/OR when the tv is on or the laptop/phone needs recharging. forget the air conditioner, microwave, coffee pot (i will miss you Keurig) and potentially my girlfriend's hair dryer - she doesnt live here but i just want to be kind when she tags along & if it makes her happy, im happy. and I wanna keep it that way ;)
Am I right that a RUNNING 2000-3600 watt gen(s) plugged directly into my RV shoreline will still power my TV via the onboard converter without an extension cord from the gen or an inverter? thats the part i dont get. I'm guessing i would only need an inverter if ONLY running off my onboard 6Vs and NO external supply.
Q3 - its gonna take a learning curve to know the schedule for my needs. but i think a portable dump tank is unnessary for now and it looks like extra weight/space and a messy experience just for an extra 6-7 days of boondocking. my main concern was preserving a thorough black tank flush while boondocking but i dont see this happening except at a dump station. worst that can happen is i hafta leave a site a bit earlier than expected. its not the end of the world.

June 1 im done with this quarantine. I'm taking off to boondock in Oregon, Washington, California and Idaho for 5 months so will quickly find the answers I seek.

Logan X
04-29-2020, 08:40 AM
To answer your question about watching TV while running the generator. When your shore power cord is plugged into the generator, everything will work in your trailer just like if you were plugged into shore power. You do not need to run an extension cord from the generator to your TV. One of those Honda’s will power everything but the air conditioner. Both in parallel will power the AC. That (the 2 Honda’s) was an excellent purchase in my opinion.

There is no need to say goodbye to your Keurig. The generator will power that no problem. When you are plugged into the generator, all of the outlets will work.

You are correct when you say you only need an inverter to power 110v items using your batteries with no external power supply.

I think you are in the right track, you will figure out what you need and what works for you when you get more experience.

Happy camping on June 1st!

Canonman
04-29-2020, 08:56 AM
You got it Rodge! Enjoy your camping experiences. Don't sweat the small stuff. Above all stay safe and keep us posted.

rodgebone
04-29-2020, 10:24 AM
thanks guys! nice to know i got all the t's crossed and i's dotted. my Keurig and my girlfriend also thank you

flrtrader
04-30-2020, 10:01 AM
Most will not agree I'm sure, But if you buy a Honda, Yamaha or the like you are paying double so you can brag about having one. There are many other lesser name ones at half (Or Less) the price. But I also agree with the poster above mine as Solar is the only way to go if you don't want dirty looks when you walk outside. A generator should be used for emergency use or charging onboard batteries with solar. I have a Predator 3500 that is so close to a honda of the same size as far as noise and it does EVERYTHING I could want at 1/3 the cost. Put soft starts in your AC and even run both. on it.

kaydo36
04-30-2020, 10:46 AM
Generator(s) look like the simpler solution as opposed to an expensive solar setup in a region that is not always so sun friendly.

I hate to be the guy who answers a question you didn't ask, but if you want to start primarily boondocking, solar is the way to go.

I'm also a full-timer and always boondock in public lands. My solar system ran me about $3k, which includes 570W of panels, a 2000W Inverter/Charger, a 60A MPPT controller, and two 200Ah AGM batteries.

If you're the guy running a genny boondocking, you're the guy nobody wants there. You're loud and offensive to those trying to enjoy nature, not feel like they're parked behind a truck stop with idling semis.

When I started this life, a generator was on my shopping list for those 'just in case' scenarios and in case I needed to run my AC. I never made it around to purchasing one and I'm glad I didn't because I've never needed it. I barely monitor my battery levels anymore because they're always juiced up. I run my fridge, water heater and furnace with propane. Rarely use a microwave but not shy about it if needed. I've camped in freezing temps without issue. I've camped in triple digit heat, and although I'd kick on the AC if it were an option, I can manage a few days hanging outside in the shade when the trailer turns into a hotbox around late afternoon until the sun goes down. More often though, if a heat wave is coming, I simply go somewhere else. That's the joy of full-timing.

Go solar, bud. If you have neighbors, they'll appreciate your self-sufficiency. And you can listen to crickets and lapping water at night instead of the motorcycle you gassed up outside.

Logan X
04-30-2020, 10:58 AM
Are all of you solar guys buying those HD solar powered trucks? And why are all of you camping so close to other people?

LewisB
04-30-2020, 12:29 PM
As Mike appropriately points out, there is apparently a vast array of definitions of "boon docking". For me, "boon docking" means I don't have any neighbors to get mad at me. If I have neighbors so close that they can "smell" or "hear" my generator, then I'm just camping, even if it is in an unimproved camping area. That doesn't mean I'm right and it doesn't mean you have to agree.

What's important is that we all agree that each of us should be considerate to each other, have reasonable expectations for each other's behavior, and help each other out when we can. Others have just as much right to be in a location as we do. If you are dragging a big trailer around and expecting to camp in a pristine area of nature where you will not be disturbed by the presence of another camper, you're likely going to be disappointed.

Don't let it ruin your camping experience!

sonofcy
04-30-2020, 01:16 PM
I've learned a lot in 8 months of full timing but I'm still relatively new and want to do more boondocking to save on park rent and enjoy a more beautiful camping/living experience at BLMs or parks w/o hookups around the Pacific Northwest. My goal is to stay a week+ at a shot before resupplying and dumping before moving on.

Was going to buy a new Yamaha 2200 gen but now have an opportunity to buy a pair of near new (under 20 hours) Honda EU2000i generators ($1400 for the pair with cables/covers). Generator(s) look like the simpler solution as opposed to an expensive solar setup in a region that is not always so sun friendly. 650watt of solar panels pales against a more rigorous 3600 watt gen setup but which requires more attention daily. Its probably overkill having that much power as I'm not so concerned with running the A/C (although beneficial for a few weeks in summer). nor am i concerned about the microwave or coffee maker. But I do run a 1300watt electric space heater to save on propane and it would be nice to extend my lp supply while boondocking. Other than that i just want to run my TV and 120V outlets to charge my laptop and phone. And of course, charge my onboard 6V Trojans. The math suggests two generators will pay for themselves on BLM/dispersed in just 2 months vs rent in full hookup parks.

Q1: I'm assuming by using the shoreline connected to the generators that my twin 6V batteries will automatically charge the same as when connected to park supplied shore power via my 50amp cord and onboard converter. Also Im wondering if using 50-30amp pucks and dogbones will overheat with extended generator use on a daily basis. Resistance is though adaptors is a worry and I dont want anything melting down.

Q2: I know I need an inverter (500-1000watt best guess) tagged onto my onboard converter (6AWG to the batteries) to power up the TV/laptop/phone charger/space heater. I've noticed some people just use a small 300-500watt inverter for TVs and laptop chargers. maybe a big 1000W inverter is overkill?

Q3: I'm also wondering about buying a portable dump tank as I usually dump a 30 gal black tank every 6 days plus another 30 gal of grey at the same interval. Obviously while boondocking I will conserve better on supply and waste - I've been very liberal thus far but RV parks spoil a person. More trips to dump stations with a portable tank or dumping between locations is okay but im concerned about flushing my black tank while boondocking with limited water supply. I like to do a very thorough flush everytime I dump and that will NOT be possible boondocking. guess it will have to be done at extended sessions at dump stations if no one else is in line behind me.

I'm sure this has been asked many times on here and I've researched it extensively. But I want some feedback for my particular criteria versus a generic answer.

thanks in advance

You don't need an inverter, the generators are supplying you an almost 30amp service.

flybouy
04-30-2020, 02:17 PM
Are all of you solar guys buying those HD solar powered trucks? And why are all of you camping so close to other people?

When we were boaters we would anchor out at some of the islands and gunkholes. I would drop anchor hundreds of feet away from anyone. Invariably, some idiot would come anchor so close that I could only believe that I found bury treasure beneath the boat. That's when I would crank up the generator, turn on the air conditioning and crank up the stereo to "split eardrum" level. They usually took the hint and would leave. Maybe there's some folks like me that don't want to go "roughing it" in a 1/2 acre city park.

Logan X
04-30-2020, 02:24 PM
For the renewable energy, pure, unadulterated, boondocking experience...

rodgebone
04-30-2020, 02:28 PM
As far as brand choice of generator, I absolutely demand trouble free redundancy & that means the highest quality I could find which overwhelmingly is Honda or Yamaha as the well-proven solutions. I looked at many brands; at one point was going to get a new Predator. But as a full timer just moving back to the states after 17 years abroad in Australia and starting life over at 56 I absolutely insist on the most reliable, trouble free solutions available and as someone who doesn't need to work atm I had the extra luxury of time to research, research and do more research...As a mechanic, that came down to reputation (for me); I'm the kind of guy who, if i can afford it, always buys the best to limit trouble down the road and trouble is the LAST thing I personally need right now. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Predator or Champion and there are others I'm sure that are just as good Honda or Yam for much cheaper. To each his own - everyone has different circumstances, budget and requirements and mine is certainly unique (no better, but definitely not mainstream). In the end, I got lucky for what I felt was the most reliable unit out there; but what really sold me was the price: $1400 for two Hondas that are virtually brand new. The couple that sold them to me paid $2150 new 18 months ago & they have nary a scratch. So I basically got the quality and reputation for close to the same price as the cheaper priced units. And with that comes peace for my mind. But again, I would never fault anyone for going a different route.

As far as generators vs solar: for me it was simplicity. I didn't want the complex installation that comes with solar although I'm sure for many it's pretty straightforward. I also don't want to be climbing on the roof to keep the panels clean. Or the extra weight in my trailer which is probably over it's rated GVWR at this point <gulp>. But I have an extra calculated reserve for weight in my TV and that is where my gens will sit on the road or while in use. Otherwise they can sit inside the trailer while parked (for out of sight security). The other factor was price and power. I researched solar extensively and felt the gens were the cheaper, simpler solution. The power is similar and on-demand wherever I travel which is mostly in the cloudy, rainy PNW. I realize solar will produce even in cloudy weather but other factors simply outweighed that fact. Plus the price (for me) was less than half the price. Nothing wrong with solar, and again, everyone has different requirements, budget and circumstance. this was just the most plausible solution for my overall scenario but I understand my requirements don't fit everyone else's needs. As far as noise, I only plan to run one unit most of the time - I can only see the second unit getting used when the AC is running which I rarely use anyway. Or for redundancy if the first unit carcs it. So generally a few hours in the late morning to recharge or to power my TV and recharge my phone and laptop whichsee limited run time anyways...TVs are great & I love mine, but when dry camping in the past I didn't really watch much TV as I had a campfire and a beautiful view - my parents always said to me as a kid the campfire WAS our tv and that still rings true today. I also considered the noise factor and have no desire to be "that guy" but was VERY surprised at how quiet the Hondas were while running. The seller and I started both units at the same time, stood directly next to them and could still have a very liveable conversation without any strain. One unit well placed and run on a limited basis should not be a problem. And I prefer to camp away from others anyways (especially strangers) so I seriously doubt I will be annoying anyone. But again, I do understand the point being made and that was also a factor in my buying decision. At the very worst, if someone complained to me about running my generator I would be happy to simply turn it off. And if was an absolute requirement for the moment needed I'm sure most people would be reasonable to know I have no desire to run it for lengthy periods. I wouldn't want the extra noise either so I can sympathize with someone seeking the quiet of boondocking. But I don't see it being a major problem. I'm reasonable and I believe most people are reasonable with the proper approach. But again, I do see the point being made as far as noise goes.

Now, having said all this I will allow the fact that at some point down the road I may change my thinking. Life is full of changes and it pays to be flexible and open minded. But for now this is what I will start with & will just see how it goes. Circumstances constantly change and I'm very aware of that. But this is my starting point based on my personal experience for my own needs in the past. Some people I'm sure are going to view my response here to flrtrader & kaydo36 above as defensive (and btw guys, i can appreciate your viewpoints); it's fine, I take no offense - don't feel bad for being the guy who answered the question I didn't ask...afterall, its all pure information which is why I'm here in the first place. I'm simply offering my line of thinking in return for what I think suits me because at the end of the day the only person I need to justify it to is me and me alone. This thinking has served me well over the years in an industry where pay is based on QC and where customer satisfaction means everything. And as suchI make it rule to listen to others, take onboard their advice, opinions & conjecture and then come to my own conclusion (which in this case was decided well before I made my original post and my purchase). Point is, I feel it best to listen first to all sides and then act. I think society needs more of this in such divisive times. It's too bad our leaders and policy makers can't do the same - we would all be much better off if that was the case. Cheers

notanlines
04-30-2020, 02:46 PM
Kaydo,I have to ask: Where are you boondocking in Baltimore? Maybe out by Sparrows Point steel mill? Couple of spots out by Dundalk maybe?

kaydo36
04-30-2020, 04:25 PM

No. I built and installed mine piece by piece.

And I try not to camp within sight of anyone else but sometimes folks post up close by. I assume they’re afraid to be alone at night.

Logan X
04-30-2020, 04:52 PM
My point about the solar powered truck was you are probably driving a loud truck? Maybe a diesel? Don’t you think someone could be offended by the noise and smell your truck makes? Or is your truck electric and charged by solar...would you stop driving your truck if someone told you they were offended by it?

To all those who claim that solar is the only acceptable way to camp and using a generator is not acceptable-

Im really trying to keep my responses good natured, but I don’t appreciate being told how you think I should camp and somehow you know who is welcome at a campsite and who isn’t. Or you think it is ok to give other campers dirty looks if they camp differently than you.

I think it is widely accepted and practiced that RVers use generators. There are other camping options if you don’t want to “spoil your enjoyment of nature”.

flybouy
04-30-2020, 05:41 PM
I agree with you Mike. I'm my thinking if you want to "be one with nature" then strap a backpack on and go forth. Yes the sound of generators can be distracting, so can the ATVs, dirt bikes, drones, off road 4wd vehicles, but they are all made to be used outdoors.

What does annoy me are people that "cuddle up" next to you when you go out of your way to be isolated. But here's the thing, they have the same right as you and I to be there.That's the public part of public lands. They all have an management that sets the rules. If you want to make the rules to suite you and you want to dictate who can make noise and with what then stop living for free and go buy a piece of property large enough to keep a comfy buffer.
JMHO

JRTJH
04-30-2020, 06:01 PM
That's the main reason we bought on the lake that we're on. It's completely private with NO public access. Through the years we've managed to continue buying property that adjoins ours and we now have a pretty significant "chunk of lakefront property". Right now, I'd negotiating to buy an additional 4 acres that has 160' of lakefront and adjoins our "back 10". That would mean about 400' of beach to keep clean. Whether we get it or not, it's a seasonal home, so nobody is there except for a couple of "3 day weekends".

All that said, no doubt, by the time I get close to not wanting to buy more, someone will sell their part to someone who moves in and destroys the peace and tranquility..... Oh well, like grandpappy used to say, if you don't own it, you don't control it.....

kaydo36
04-30-2020, 08:23 PM
My point about the solar powered truck was you are probably driving a loud truck? Maybe a diesel? Don’t you think someone could be offended by the noise and smell your truck makes? Or is your truck electric and charged by solar...would you stop driving your truck if someone told you they were offended by it?

To all those who claim that solar is the only acceptable way to camp and using a generator is not acceptable-

Im really trying to keep my responses good natured, but I don’t appreciate being told how you think I should camp and somehow you know who is welcome at a campsite and who isn’t. Or you think it is ok to give other campers dirty looks if they camp differently than you.

I think it is widely accepted and practiced that RVers use generators. There are other camping options if you don’t want to “spoil your enjoyment of nature”.
I drive a van and have no problem with people’s vehicle noise. They generally don’t leave idling and revving for hours on end, but I’m not going to entertain a trolling assault just because I chimed in to give the OP some advice. Happy trails, brother.

LewisB
05-01-2020, 05:48 AM

My exact reaction to this thread! 100% right, Mike. As the number of RV's increases significantly each year, it is not reasonable to expect to pull your RV into a pristine camping area and then expect everyone else to stay out. Nor is it reasonable to expect everyone else to set their rig up exactly how you might think is the "right" way.

We all have different equipment, experiences, and levels of expertise. That is EXACTLY why I like this forum! I love to hear how others tackle issues; it's a great way to learn about new methods, equipment, & materials. I'm not so fond of "the only right way to do this is the way I do it" messages.

rodgebone
05-01-2020, 07:16 AM
LewisB

We all have different equipment, experiences, and levels of expertise. That is EXACTLY why I like this forum! I love to hear how others tackle issues; it's a great way to learn about new methods, equipment, & materials. I'm not so fond of "the only right way to do this is the way I do it" messages.

x2

Logan X
05-01-2020, 08:22 AM
If you're the guy running a genny boondocking, you're the guy nobody wants there. You're loud and offensive to those trying to enjoy nature, not feel like they're parked behind a truck stop with idling semis.

No one is trying to troll you brother. I was simply pointing out that you are not the authority who decides who is welcome on public land or the judge (for the RV community) of who is offensive and who is not.

You are welcome to your opinion, obviously, and you are welcome to share your opinion, obviously. When someone disagrees with you it is not a “trolling attack”

As far as the advice you gave the OP, he was asking about generators, not solar...

Take care.