PDA

View Full Version : wash, wax then 303 ?

gspman
04-23-2020, 08:47 AM
getting ready to spring opening of the winterized keystone 2019 29RKS.

I have gel gloss rv wash n wax, mequiar's quick wax spray and a gallon of 303 protectant.

How should i use these products and in what order what not to use in what order...lol

Can these be used on the roof?

thx in advance for any advise

Scott

sourdough
04-23-2020, 08:59 AM
I would just wash it if using a wax afterwards. Some of them don't like to play with other products. That goes for 303 as well. I learned that by using Meguiars wax/polish and then trying to apply 303 right after. That was a bad choice. Until that wax has cured a LOT (thinking weeks) the 303 reacts with it and has a reaction. As far as 303 on the roof, some do, some don't. I take mine to the dealership and have the Dicor 2 part roof treatment done so that I have documentation that roof maintenance was done.

gspman
04-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Sourdough

Very good to know, exactly why i asked the question..thx

JRTJH
04-23-2020, 09:50 AM
Most "wash/wax products" and "automobile wax" are petroleum based. Aerospace 303 is water based. So, just like the old adage, "Water and oil don't mix", the same is true for using a "wash/wax product" or "waxing the RV" and then applying 303. Until the petroleum carrier/solvent in the "wash/wax" or the "wax" product has dissipated, the Aerospace 303 will only "sit on the surface and "turn gooey" or "hazy". As Danny said, if you do use an automotive "wash/wax" or if you use "most automotive waxes" you'll need to wait a while (days/weeks) before "pouring water on your oil"......

Logan X
04-23-2020, 09:55 AM
Don’t use soap with wax in it on the roof. The petroleum distillates in the wax will cause the roof membrane to bubble and separate.

Alpha systems, who makes the TPO roof, says to use Dawn dish soap to clean the roof.

Canonman
04-23-2020, 11:06 AM
HI Scott,
303 is a UV protectant widely used in the aerospace and marine environment. After I wash the roof (usually with a mild solution of Dawn detergent) I apply the 303 with a spray bottle and wipe it in with a clean rag. Only 4 seasons on the Cougar but so far so good.
I use Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax for the rest of the Cougar. I tried 303 once after washing but the result was disappointing. For wax I use NuFinish. It goes on fairly easy and lasts pretty good too. Other than the front cap, I can usually just rinse the gel coat with just water and dry. I have had good luck using 303 on the decals and trim after the rinse/wash. 303 on the tires as well as the exposed parts of the rolled up awning.

travelin texans
04-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Don’t use soap with wax in it on the roof. The petroleum distillates in the wax will cause the roof membrane to bubble and separate.

Alpha systems, who makes the TPO roof, says to use Dawn dish soap to clean the roof.

Alpha also recommends nothing more needed than regular cleaning with mild detergents, no other treatments needed.

Logan X
04-23-2020, 11:57 AM
HI Scott,
303 is a UV protectant widely used in the aerospace and marine environment. After I wash the roof (usually with a mild solution of Dawn detergent) I apply the 303 with a spray bottle and wipe it in with a clean rag. Only 4 seasons on the Cougar but so far so good.
I use Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax for the rest of the Cougar. I tried 303 once after washing but the result was disappointing. For wax I use NuFinish. It goes on fairly easy and lasts pretty good too. Other than the front cap, I can usually just rinse the gel coat with just water and dry. I have had good luck using 303 on the decals and trim after the rinse/wash. 303 on the tires as well as the exposed parts of the rolled up awning.

At the risk of sounding like Canonman and I are having a bromance, I have virtually the same washing and waxing routine, including the same products. The only difference is I don’t apply 303 to the roof membrane.

notanlines
04-23-2020, 12:25 PM
I do have 303 in the basement, but I like Turtle Wax better. Old fashioned? Yep. Applied by hand and wiped off by hand. I'm not big on the buffer. And scrub the roof with a little Dawn and a scrub brush and rinse it off. Period. I'll refrain from commenting on glossy stuff on tires.

gearhead
04-23-2020, 12:32 PM
This stuff is decent. Wipe on, wipe off.
https://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html

Canonman
04-23-2020, 01:01 PM
The 303 was highly recommended as a UV protectant for the roof as well as any other surfaces you'd want protected from sun damage. To Jim's point, I like "Shiny":) but it is supposed to help deter sidewall cracking as well.

notanlines
04-23-2020, 01:17 PM
Cannonman, you’re lying, you’re lying! You just want to look like the 18 year olds!

Canonman
04-23-2020, 03:54 PM
It's all about the GLAM Brouh:)
You remember shining up the old Ford for date night don't you???

Lee
04-24-2020, 09:37 AM
I wash entire TT with Dawn blue dish soap..... then apply 303 to the entire TT.

Dmhtc1
04-24-2020, 03:03 PM
I use Gel-Gloss RV Wash & Wax. Then use McKee's RV All-In-One Cleaner Wax & Sealant.

chunker
04-25-2020, 02:05 AM
Dawn, and other grease cutting dish detergents, can remove wax so using dawn on a roof can result in damages to a wax job. Frankly I use car washing "soap" to wash the RVs, roof first with lots of rinse water. I'm more concerned about the integrity of the roof than it's bright white shiny appearance. Washing the roof gives me the opportunity to inspect the roof structure and sealants.

sprky69
04-30-2020, 09:14 AM
I use 30 second cleaner spray on, soft brush and also 5 gallon bucket with dawn. This takes and algae, etc. off of sides. After rinsing I use Meguires ceramic spray on way, rinse then wipe dry.

+Ruff Rider
04-30-2020, 03:33 PM
I never mix products from different manufactures. Some don't play nice with others. I just got done using Nu Finish on my 03 3280 RL and man did it turn out nice. it had oxidation everywhere. I don't believe it had a coat of wax on it.
I went right over my decals. I used a direct drive buffer and a wool pad. It was a chore but i finished it today. I found a couple spots where i didn't remove all the wax lol. I will get it later so I can taker a photo of the front cap.

Dennis852
04-30-2020, 07:57 PM
Dawn or any dish soap is not good for any kind of automotive paint. It will strip every bit of wax out. When I worked in auto body we would wash cars with dish soap before doing any prep work on a painted surface for this reason. A good wash/wax is great to wash with. Wax a minimum of 2 times a year and you will have a surface that will last quite some time. Also anything 3m or Meguiars is a quality product.

larryflew
05-01-2020, 06:39 AM
We had one of the roll on roofs done several years ago and they recommend car wash soap and no wax. May be different for original roofs. Been 4 years with a lot of Arizona sun and looks great.