PDA

View Full Version : April 21 San Jacinto Day

gearhead
04-22-2020, 06:49 PM
How did I miss this yesterday? April 21, 1836 Sam Houston and the Texian Army defeated Santa Anna near present day Houston. Freedom and self determination for the settlers of Texas.
I had 2 relatives at the battle. David Miles Cole was supposedly 1 of the 5 that captured Santa Anna after the battle. James Cole (3greatgrandfather) was the oldest man there. Because of his age and poor health he was assigned to baggage guard away from the battleground.
Proud of them both.

sourdough
04-22-2020, 07:11 PM
How did I miss this yesterday? April 21, 1836 Sam Houston and the Texian Army defeated Santa Anna near present day Houston. Freedom and self determination for the settlers of Texas.
I had 2 relatives at the battle. David Miles Cole was supposedly 1 of the 5 that captured Santa Anna after the battle. James Cole (3greatgrandfather) was the oldest man there. Because of his age and poor health he was assigned to baggage guard away from the battleground.
Proud of them both.

A proud day for Texians (Texans). My family hit the shores of this country in the late 1600s (family research) established residences there and then migrated to TN mid/late 1700s. They farmed there and then moved to the TX panhandle early 1800s. None of our records indicate any of them were at or near the Alamo or the defeat of Santa Anna. Maybe they knew Davy Crockett in TN:)? Nonetheless, the Alamo and the following defeat of Santa Anna by Mr. Houston's small army has set a long lasting "shoe to be filled" by us "Texians/Texans".

Old Mustanger
04-22-2020, 07:13 PM
And the local news couldn't stop talking about Covid-19 long enough to mention this important day in our state history.

gearhead
04-22-2020, 07:26 PM
And the local news couldn't stop talking about Covid-19 long enough to mention this important day in our state history.
Exactly, and I'm sick of it. So to speak.
Don't know about your TV news people but in Houston I don't think there's very many Texans. Mostly just pretty faces that can read a TelePrompter with a Midwest accent. The stations are nationally corporate owned so the reporters and especially the anchors are rotated in and back out in about a year. I'll admit there are few locals but not many.

gearhead
04-22-2020, 07:34 PM
A proud day for Texians (Texans). My family hit the shores of this country in the late 1600s (family research) established residences there and then migrated to TN mid/late 1700s. They farmed there and then moved to the TX panhandle early 1800s. None of our records indicate any of them were at or near the Alamo or the defeat of Santa Anna. Maybe they knew Davy Crockett in TN:)? Nonetheless, the Alamo and the following defeat of Santa Anna by Mr. Houston's small army has set a long lasting "shoe to be filled" by us "Texians/Texans".

Similar here. Mine landed at probably Williamsburg, VA about 1700 and moved down through North Carolina to Gallatin, TN. They got ran out of there and somehow got to Opelousas Louisiana. Mine didn't know Crockett but my James D Reeves and Jim Bowie got sideways over a land deal in Louisiana.
Yes sir, big shoes to fill and I ain't man enough.

travelin texans
04-23-2020, 07:22 AM
Yes sir, big shoes to fill and I ain't man enough.
Have to agree!
If I'd been standing on the wall of the Alamo with a muzzle loading rifle seeing the odds against me at 50-1 there would've been like moat at the bottom of that wall due to loss of bladder control.

gearhead
04-23-2020, 06:22 PM
^^ Would have been some "semi solids" there from me.
I just can't imagine what they did.