PDA

View Full Version : Bunk Bed Weight Rating

dewild25
04-20-2020, 08:15 AM
We have a 2005 Keystone Outback 26RS. I was wondering if anyone has the weight rating of the upper bunks in the bunk house. I am just wondering about sleeping adults on the upper bunks. I cannot find any stickers or mention of the weight rating anywhere and I have not been able to find it on any web searches. I contacted Keystone directly and they could not tell me the rating either. Any help with this would be great! Thanks.

chuckster57
04-20-2020, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

In my years as a tech I have seen upper bunks rated as low as 150 and as high as 350 pounds. What weight are we talking about?

JRTJH
04-20-2020, 09:15 AM
In addition to what Chuck said, remember that your trailer is a 2005 model, that 15 years have passed and what capacity it may have had when new may be critically limited by age, use, deterioration and lack of upkeep through the years. Just because your trailer has a 200 pound weight limit on the bunks when it was new, doesn't mean that the previous owner's buddy that weighed 300 pounds slept in it for 2 weeks during hunting season in 2006 and all the fasteners have been loose and pulling out "bit by bit" for the past 14 years....

I know that doesn't answer your question: "What weight limit does the missing decal have on it?" But there's much more to what the bunk will currently support than just the decal data.....

dewild25
04-23-2020, 07:27 AM
Thanks for both of your comments. I really did not have a specific weight that I was shooting for, it was more of a general question. Right now it will just be either my little dog in a kennel or a niece or nephew up there so we should be fine. I think I will just err on the side of caution and just keep little kids up there and not adults. Thanks again!

NH_Bulldog
04-23-2020, 03:10 PM
Our bunks (both full size beds) say 300 lbs. However, I don’t trust that for the upper bunk so that one is reserved for our 7 year old daughter and/or her friends or cousins. The bottom bunk I would trust more since it is on a solid frame and can easily support two grown adults.

sourdough
04-23-2020, 03:29 PM
As previous posters have mentioned, there are lots of things to consider when trying to determine the weight you want to put on a "bunk" bed. Considering the age I believe I would just pull the mattress and determine how it is constructed and with what. From that you can pretty well determine what it will support...and tell you what shape the components are in. If you are handy, augment or replace the components to support whatever weight you need to put there (within reason). JMO