PDA

View Full Version : AC help needed asap!

Getn off
04-18-2020, 02:56 PM
Hey guys.
I have a 2018 Sprinter Limited that I keep plugged in (30a) at home in FL. I keep the AC on auto set to 80 just to keep dehumidified really. Last week we had a power interruption for about 10 mins then came back on. Didnt think anything of it until I went into the RV about 5 days later and noticed ac not cooling at all! Fan was blowing. Turned it off and let cool. Turned back on and only fan comes on. I figured a bad run capacitor. I did notice a bit of oil(?) at the base of the condenser. I replaced the capacitor to no avail. Tested with vom and appears to work, as old did. When I turn the AC on, the fan runs and the compressor gets super hot- cant touch it. Cant honestly tell if it is running... I feel vibration, but could just be from the fan next to it.
I pulled the cover completely off and checked the control box. Unplugged and reset it. Tapped the relays. All seems ok, no burned areas or funky smells. Had wife turn on again and I hear a relay when it is turned on, but again no compressor.
My gut says the compressor went tango uniform. Seem legit? Should I replace the board at $60, or just bite the bullet and drop $700 (shipped) for a whole new coleman mach 15?
Nothing obvious in the board, and the compressor does have some “leakage.”
Second question... does the new coleman mach 15 come with a new control box assy?
Need to make a decision soon.
Thanks for the help.
Troy

travelin texans
04-18-2020, 08:23 PM
Can't answer the AC question, but have one to ask.
Do you have a surge protector/EMS, either hardwired or portable, connected to your shore power. If not you should to help protect from this type of issue.

bobbecky
04-18-2020, 10:25 PM
We lost an A/C while within our first year, and it also blew out the Freon system. No idea why this happened, but Dometic honored their two year warranty and paid to replace it. If you are within the warranty period of two years, you might get it replaced free, otherwise, you are probably on your own and will need to get it replaced. I wouldn’t spend another penny on the unit if you found compressor oil.

Getn off
04-19-2020, 04:35 AM
Yea, have a good surge protector, not sure why it still failed. Of course, I am just guessing i
That is what did it because of the timing.
That is my thought with the fluid at the base. Hate to waste any more money.
It is a coleman, 1.5 years old. Do I need to contact Coleman, or Camping World where I bought the rv?
Troy

Getn off
04-19-2020, 04:45 AM
Also, I never filled out a registration card. Does that void the warranty? I have been searching, and find both answers.
Anyone with past experience that didn't send in the card?
Troy

ChuckS
04-19-2020, 05:41 AM
Your post indicates you replaced RUN cap... if it doesn’t have a start capacitor then most likely the compressor is locked up..

But verify first that your unit doesn’t have a start cap... if it does have then replace that cap

Getn off
04-19-2020, 05:57 AM
From what I understand, there are 2 possibilities, one with a start relay and one with a computer thingy! I have no start relay. I assume the computer box is the other option. In this box, there are 2 small relays, and 1 larger one that looks like the compressor relay. I can hear it click, so assume it is working.
Do u happen to have a pic of a start cap? Cant find any info online for this. Was hoping that was it honestly.
The fluid at the base scares me.
I am going to call a coleman tech tomorrow and ask about warr work. If not, I will just drop $700 bones on a whole new unit. A bit disappointed with 1.5 years life span.
I am used to airplanes and boats, so I am not expecting the moon with RVing, but jeez... this is kinda ridiculous! Too many big ticket items during the first year (luckily).
Still wouldnt trade it for hotels! Enjoy the relaxing times still way more than the headaches!!!
Troy

JRTJH
04-19-2020, 06:10 AM
Camping World "usually" documents the warranty on components as a part of the "sales/finance" function during the buying process. That said, they may have missed/skipped your paperwork for any number of reasons, all of which would sound "reasonable to them" but probably not to the buyer...

CW has the "paper trail" to prove to Coleman when the trailer was first put in service, which is when the warranty began. There "should be no issue" with the warranty. That said, CW or another Coleman authorized repair service would be the first logical step in a warranty replacement.

There is a document that needs to be completed before Coleman will process the replacement. Dometic has that document online, I don't think Coleman does. It requires the starting/running amps, compressor temperature (I think) and a couple of other measurements to be reported as well as the physical condition and reason for failure of the unit.

If you're near your dealer, call them about the replacement, if you're near another CW facility, they "usually, in normal times" work together to take care of customers. That said, if you're nowhere close to a CW, you might check the Coleman website for a listing of "authorized repair facilities" near you. Contact one of them for advice.

Bottom line, if there is a mechanical failure that occurred during the 2 year warranty time frame AND it isn't directly attributed to an excluded condition (in the warranty) then at 15 months of ownership, you should be covered. Your initial bill of sale for the trailer is (should be) enough to prove when the warranty started. Coleman is not "overly difficult" to work with, but if their CS department is "COVID Closed" then it may not be as fast as you'd like.

Getn off
04-19-2020, 06:41 AM
Really appreciate the help John, and others!
This group is great.
Troy

Getn off
04-20-2020, 04:19 PM
Update.
Been looking for a Coleman/Airxcel service people around me. 1 is 6 miles but wont return call. Called 3 others that are out of biz. Talked to 2 others that say they wont travel to me...25 miles.
Called Coleman and asked them for advise. He told me they usually prefer to work with a service guy vs retail, but may make an exception since I cant get anyone to come over. He wanted a pic of the moisture to confirm a leak, and talk to his mgr. he will get back to me soon.
Hopes are higher than they were yesterday anyway!
Troy

skids
04-20-2020, 04:31 PM
If I am not mistaken, I had a Jayco with a Coleman Mach and I think it had a combined start/run capacitor.

sourdough
04-20-2020, 04:36 PM
I am assuming you bought the trailer 1.5 years ago new. If so, you should have the purchase papers which should work as proof of purchase of a new unit. I think Coleman has a 2 year warranty and I would contact them. Leaking oil is a situation you should not let go. If you do as soon as that 2 years is up you can bet the AC will go belly up and you will be on the hook for sure.

Getn off
04-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Yea, bought it Sept ‘18 new. I did talk to Coleman and waiting to hear back. It sounds like they should cover it.
Troy

flybouy
04-21-2020, 05:25 PM
If you have surge protector and not an EMS I suggest getting the EMS. They protect a lot more than a straight surge protector. One of the benefits is a time delay (typ 2 min) that can prevent issues with "high head pressure".. When the compressor stops the refrigerant stops flowing and the pressure increases on both the suction and the output lines. If the compressor tries to immediately start again the compressor can "lock up" causing mechanical damage or the windings to burn up from over amperage caused by the excessive load.

An EMS will also protect the rv from over or under voltage (which causes a high amperage draw).

Getn off
04-21-2020, 05:51 PM
If you have surge protector and not an EMS I suggest getting the EMS. They protect a lot more than a straight surge protector. One of the benefits is a time delay (typ 2 min) that can prevent issues with "high head pressure".. When the compressor stops the refrigerant stops flowing and the pressure increases on both the suction and the output lines. If the compressor tries to immediately start again the compressor can "lock up" causing mechanical damage or the windings to burn up from over amperage caused by the excessive load.

An EMS will also protect the rv from over or under voltage (which causes a high amperage draw).

Yep, do have an EMS. I am just guessing that power interruption is the cause. Timing is too perfect.
Troy

AJFoyt
04-26-2020, 07:38 AM
Have 2017 Raptor and lost back toy hauler A/C was freezing up middle of 2018. Never filled out warranty card. Local repair center had me send pics of the unit and a warranty card from 1 of my 3 units. They came and looked. Colman Mach unit all covered. They brought over a lift and had it changed in 30 minutes and back working. I noticed Keystone had not sealed the cavity in between the roof and ceiling so it was pulling in very hot roof air to cool. Sealed this with Aluminum tape. The changeout is very easy to do IF you have a lift. 2 person job. Colman was pretty responsive and it took about a week. Past history with these units (Platnium 4 horse gooseneck 14 ft short wall 2007 was that the units usually last ~10 years. Good luck!

Getn off
04-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Thanks AJ. I am still waiting to hear back. The rep did call me back and said he is still waiting for approval, but did agree the pics look like a bad compressor.
Not sure if he will have better luck with a service tech, or just ship it to me and let me do it.
Troy

sonofcy
04-26-2020, 09:11 AM
Hey guys.
I have a 2018 Sprinter Limited that I keep plugged in (30a) at home in FL. I keep the AC on auto set to 80 just to keep dehumidified really. Last week we had a power interruption for about 10 mins then came back on. Didnt think anything of it until I went into the RV about 5 days later and noticed ac not cooling at all! Fan was blowing. Turned it off and let cool. Turned back on and only fan comes on. I figured a bad run capacitor. I did notice a bit of oil(?) at the base of the condenser. I replaced the capacitor to no avail. Tested with vom and appears to work, as old did. When I turn the AC on, the fan runs and the compressor gets super hot- cant touch it. Cant honestly tell if it is running... I feel vibration, but could just be from the fan next to it.
I pulled the cover completely off and checked the control box. Unplugged and reset it. Tapped the relays. All seems ok, no burned areas or funky smells. Had wife turn on again and I hear a relay when it is turned on, but again no compressor.
My gut says the compressor went tango uniform. Seem legit? Should I replace the board at $60, or just bite the bullet and drop $700 (shipped) for a whole new coleman mach 15?
Nothing obvious in the board, and the compressor does have some “leakage.”
Second question... does the new coleman mach 15 come with a new control box assy?
Need to make a decision soon.
Thanks for the help.
Troy
Having a proper EMS like Progressive helps protect against this kind of problem. It even has delayed start so any compressor in the rig doesn't recycle too fast duriga quick off and on. I have the Progressive but will replace it with a Power Watch Dog from Hughes so I get all the information on my phone.

sonofcy
04-26-2020, 09:12 AM
Yea, have a good surge protector, not sure why it still failed. Of course, I am just guessing i
That is what did it because of the timing.
That is my thought with the fluid at the base. Hate to waste any more money.
It is a coleman, 1.5 years old. Do I need to contact Coleman, or Camping World where I bought the rv?
Troy
You need more than a surge protector, get a full EMS

Getn off
04-26-2020, 09:22 AM
Yes, I do have a Progressive EMS.

sonofcy
04-26-2020, 10:07 AM
Yes, I do have a Progressive EMS.

Then it is extremely unlikely the problem is caused by a surge or any other electrical problem. If it was me I would weigh the expense of a mobile tech who is HVAC certified making the diagnosis at a cost of roughly $200 (that's what a simple call out costs here, YMMV) vs buying a new one. Even better might be working a deal with a local RV parts and service shop of no charge for the diagnosis if it is bad on promise of buying the new unit from them. That way you only pay once at least.

Getn off
04-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Update.
Airxcel has agreed to warranty the ac! They cant get one of their sponsored techs to come to me either! The 3 I talked to wouldnt travel 20 miles to me!
He did say he would ship to me or I could find another tech that would work with them on the warranty. Found one. Now waiting to get it scheduled. This sure might turn out good!
Coleman’s customer service has been spectacular so far fyi.
Troy

JRTJH
04-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Glad to hear that it's worked out well (so far)… Hopefully it will continue through with a "successful warranty exchange"...

Roscommon48
04-27-2020, 06:27 PM
get with the manufactuer of the a/c...it should be covered. just use your trailer purchase date.

when you get into the a/c, if you aren't a mechanic get with a service center.

Getn off
04-27-2020, 06:30 PM
Yea, the mfg has been great to work with. At the very least, they already said they will ship one to me under warranty...no return required.
I am a mech, but would prefer someone else carry 90 lbs up onto my trailer! It is a simple install for sure, but I aint no fool either!
Troy

Getn off
04-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Wahoo! Shipping a new unit under warranty today to the mobile RV mech I found that agreed to work with them. Should be up and running by early next week so my forward ac doesnt have to run continuously!
So happy.
Troy

JRTJH
04-29-2020, 11:13 AM
That's great news... Once the tech replaces the A/C, if he has any ideas what might have caused the issues and if he finds more problems with the old unit, please let us know what he found/suspected... Inquiring minds want to know... LOL

Getn off
04-30-2020, 06:38 AM
Most def will!
Troy

Getn off
05-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Ok, the outcome.
I found a local mobile mechanic in the Orlando area that agreed to work with Coleman, Happy Campers. They were great. Coleman shipped the new Mach 15 to them. They received it Monday and just finished installing it today. Coleman agreed to pay 1.5 hours to replace, and Happy Camper charges 2. I agreed to pay the $57.50 diff.
Works perfectly again. The installer told me that he has replaced about 2 of these Colemans per week this season which he thought was odd. He said usually he sees issues with Dometics. Maybe a rash of bad units or something?
Thank you for all for helping and advising about the 2 year warranty... I would never have thought of that.
I do highly recommend Happy Campers if you need service in central FL.
Troy

Bill-2020
06-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Ok, the outcome.
I found a local mobile mechanic in the Orlando area that agreed to work with Coleman, Happy Campers. They were great. Coleman shipped the new Mach 15 to them. They received it Monday and just finished installing it today. Coleman agreed to pay 1.5 hours to replace, and Happy Camper charges 2. I agreed to pay the $57.50 diff.
Works perfectly again. The installer told me that he has replaced about 2 of these Colemans per week this season which he thought was odd. He said usually he sees issues with Dometics. Maybe a rash of bad units or something?
Thank you for all for helping and advising about the 2 year warranty... I would never have thought of that.
I do highly recommend Happy Campers if you need service in central FL.
Troy

Troy - I'm 40 miles due east of you (Cocoa). Glad you got this replaced. Our Dometic 13.5 just burned itself up over the long weekend. I'm just starting the process of getting things situated with a local service center (non-CW). They are very suspect of a voltage issue but I use an EMS so this repair will be dicey at best to get Dometic to repalce it under warranty (it's 8 months old, maybe 40-50 hours of run time on it). They haven't seen it first hand yet, but from my details they are thinking poor voltage. This Service center says Dometic isn't shipping yet due to being closed down for Covid so we're in a holding pattern until he begins to see things roll in from the factory (they said a replacement has to come from the factory not from a supplier of his). ...and now we wait...

Getn off
06-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Well that sux Bill.
My guess is if you can show u have used an EMS, they should warranty it. Have u checked to see if there is any leakage from the condenser? That is what mine did. I bought a new run capacitor that ur welcome to if it is the same one...cant return, and my original one was good.
Not sure about Dometic, but my Coleman 15.0 was shipped from the factory very quickly. It turned out to be a very smooth operation thankfully.
Good luck to you.
Troy

Bill-2020
06-01-2020, 07:16 PM
Hey, thanks for the offer. Likely my cap is a different value, it’s a 13.5 unit compared to your 15. And the capacitor is likely ok. Mine literally burnt up at the compressor common terminal. Not much left of the female spade terminal. Lots of charred carbon plastic from the terminal cover. There is no refrigerant leak whatsoever, wish it was that cut and dry. I may be fighting an uphill battle. If I have to buy a new one, I may go with the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ (non-ducted quiet) model. A few hundred more but I understand much quieter even being non-ducted. And in a small TT I’ll take all the quiet I can get.