PDA

View Full Version : Already Dewinterized and now getting cold

Bob R
04-12-2020, 10:03 AM
I have already been dewinterized this spring and along comes some cold temps. the temp tonight will be dropping to about 26-28 degrees. We are expecting temps about 10 degrees below normal.

https://i.imgur.com/HOovJLA.png

This is what I am looking at tonight and then back to normal.

The question is: Should I zip over to storage and open the low point drains and dump any water that may be in the pipes? I dumped the fresh water tank the other day so it is already empty.

Opinions please.

bob

chuckster57
04-12-2020, 10:20 AM
You can, I probably would. The fresh and holding tanks are like giant ice cube trays, they don't need to be EMPTY but ;you did good anyway. Make sure to drain the water heater. Easy if you just open the pressure relief when you open the low point drains.

sourdough
04-12-2020, 11:59 AM
I've never worried about temps in that range but I'm always in the trailer when we encounter something like that. It doesn't look like it's what I would call a really hard freeze.

I would open the low point drains, crack the faucets 1/2 way open, make sure the FW tank is empty (I believe you said it was), run the pump to make sure there is no water in it and you could drain the HW heater. No colder than it shows I doubt the HW tank would freeze but doesn't hurt to play it safe, especially if you're not on site with it.

Bob R
04-12-2020, 12:12 PM
I agree, probably better safe than sorry. Now is not the time to try and get it in the shop if something breaks, there goes the whole summer. ;)

I wouldn't call it a hard freeze either bu it could get a little colder.

Still open for opinions. :)

thanks.

bob

Ksupaul
04-12-2020, 12:12 PM
I also dewinterized last weekend when extended forecast had nothing below 36. Well that changed after 5 days or so so I went back Thursday and drained it all and pumped some AF back though it just in case. It hit 26 that night and we look to come close to that again soon. 2 hours of driving and effort and 2 gallons of AF is easy piece of mind in my opinion. I would hate to have to tear into something when that’s all I had to do. IMHO.

Big 417
04-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Make sure you dump the hot water tank too. They split easy.

Northofu1
04-12-2020, 01:03 PM
I've never worried about temps in that range but I'm always in the trailer when we encounter something like that. It doesn't look like it's what I would call a really hard freeze.

I would open the low point drains, crack the faucets 1/2 way open, make sure the FW tank is empty (I believe you said it was), run the pump to make sure there is no water in it and you could drain the HW heater. No colder than it shows I doubt the HW tank would freeze but doesn't hurt to play it safe, especially if you're not on site with it.

^^^^^×2
I usually leave a water bottle in my car or truck over night, they usually don't freeze with temps over 20 °F.