PDA

View Full Version : Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride!

WaitingToRetire
10-14-2011, 07:02 PM
So...
After reading about how some have made the PVC sewer hose holder to store their hose instead of in the bumper, I though it would be a good 2-3hr project on my day off. "bouncey: So off to Lowe's, bought the materials, then back home. Cut the pipe to length. Went to put on the cleanout adapter, oh no! Cant find my pvc glue. :confused: Lowe's is 20 miles away, I don't want to waste that much gas when I have other means available. So, instead of glueing it on, I figure I'll just bolt it together using machine screws and washers, nuts. Problem solved. Attach the cap to the pipe so it doesn't run off when I'm not looking. Take it out to mount on the RV. Decide I'll put the hoses in there just to ensure I got the length correct. OH NO! The attachments won't fit in the 4" pipe. :o

It was at that second that I remember reading another post that mentioned "hey knucklehead, if you're making a PVC holder, make sure to use 5 or 6" pipe cuz the fittings on the new hoses won't fit in a 4" pipe."

So close, yet FAIL. Ergo, Always A Bridesmaid, Never a Bride.

Chad

hankpage
10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Yep! Been there. That is why lots of folks are using 5" vinyl fence posts now. Much lighter, cheaper and easier to mount than 6" pvc pipe. Funny .... my old hoses used to fit. I thought I was smart taking the 4" off my old trailer.

hankaye
10-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Howdy All;

Sorry to hear that ya had a "Homer Moment". Yet somehow, it makes me feel that I'm not the only one so.....:bdance:

hankaye

PS. Post a pic or 2... of the finished product.

RCrawler
10-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Having dual sewer outlets made it a real pain having to disconnect and store different sections of hose and adaptor fittings. I bought a 20 gal Rubbermaid storage box and leave it assembled along with the hose supports. I tie it down to the slideout bumper.

Jason

eds451
10-15-2011, 03:18 PM
My 07 244rls 5er never had a rear bumper. It came with a receiver. Anyway I saw the vinyl fence post idea and did that on mine. Painted it black with plastic paint, mounted it close to the sewer outlet and it looks like it grew there. I riveted one cap and attached hinges and a latch on the other. The 5 inch post is big enough to keep the fittings on the hose(s).

Branky
10-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Here in Canada the vinyl fence posts are not easily found. Rona has a one in the store, but the "Good ones" are a factory order (at least here in Victoria) and they don't like to order in one. I priced out 5 inch pipe and fittings and it added up quick!

I found a 64 inch Vanterra Ez hose holder for $66. No making caps or mounts. Drill 4 holes and bolt it in place. Done.
:thumbsup:

BigCajun
10-19-2011, 06:05 AM
One of my biggest gripes about RV manufacturers is that they don't build in a sewer hose storage. WTH? They know we all need a place for the hose! It just doesn't make sense to me that a sewer hose storage container is not standard equipment. :confused:

kenn209
10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Okay for those that do this mod, cause I want to do it. Do you install on the bumper? or somewhere else? and how?

eds451
10-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Sewer hose pipe Mod v1, I placed the post right behind the landing gear. Worked OK. Then I had to remove it when I welded the dolly receiver under the front of the 5er. Mod v2, I used the entire 8 ft post, painted it black and secured it just in front of the sewer connection so I would not be dragging stinky sewer line any more than I had to. It works much better there and I have room for 30 ft of hose and fittings. I drilled drain holes in the post to allow the hose to dry out. I can rinse the hose out and place it in the post without moving more than two steps.

TDF5G
07-27-2012, 11:46 AM
We had a 1999 Trail-Lite TT, on the LH side (on the exterior) there was door with a tube mounted to it than went under the couch for sewer hose storage. It came from the factory this way, but the tube wasn't long enough for a 10' hose. Had to modify it anyway. It was the only one I've ever seen.

therink
07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I used 4" pvc pipe for my sewer hose. I ended up trimming the plastic ears off the fittings and the hose fittings fit in the pipe without a problem.