PDA

View Full Version : Rear Garage/Patio screen

DMK
04-10-2020, 12:32 PM
You've got to be kidding me nearly $900 for a rear screen assembly! https://www.trekwood.com/products/478161/Wall-Screen-Manual-97-w-94-1-2-Rails-Black-DIRECT

Mine ripped along the bottom, looks like the piece on the bottom was machine crimped together and not coming apart without damaging it! Has anyone had success repairing these?:banghead:

travelin texans
04-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Try a local upholstery shop to repair the original or possibly make a new one bound to be less than $900.

notanlines
04-11-2020, 02:38 AM
Along the same lines as Danny's suggestion, also look under 'tent and awning' category in the Google yellow pages in your area.

flybouy
04-11-2020, 03:38 AM
I would suggest a marine canvas/upholstery shop. They typically make zippered screens for boat tops with heavy duty zippers and fasteners that don't rust.

DMK
04-11-2020, 10:48 AM
Well after further investigation found that you can detach the lower screen as the end along the bottom is crimped with a aluminum jacket that slides into an extrusion in the aluminum body of the base plate, remove the plastic end pieces and you call pull this out of the base. They also used what looks like 1" strapping tape along the bottom edge of the screen probably to keep it from ripping before they crimped it, after it's crimped it is rotated 180 degrees and slid in the base plate. In my case the screen ripped away from this aluminum jacket which is obviously machine crimped. After removing this jacket I tried to spread it apart to reinstall. While spreading the aluminum jacket it distorted so much that I doubt that I will be able to reassemble. I was able to find this part (linked below) on the trekwood website but it has no picture to go along with it. Being Saturday and Easter weekend it will have to wait til Monday to call and try to find out more to see if this is what I need to complete the repair. Just imagine how much these campers would cost if Keystone had to pay the trekwood price to build one!!! Good grief!:banghead:

https://www.trekwood.com/products/1094165/Wall-Screen-Base-Plate-9-Deg-Wedge-Set-2-Pc

UPDATE: The link above is just for the base plates for the magnets, quite a deal at $37 +shipping! :banghead: Well after a lot of screwing around I have it fixed. Very tedious as I had to split the aluminum edging with a screwdriver and in doing so distorted it and twisted it. After working it by hand for a while I had it fairly straightened out and between a 3lb hammer and a piece of flat steel that I had was able to bind it back to the screen. I did put a layer of strapping tape along the bottom of the screen like they had done during manufacturing to give a little more to bind with without tearing the screen. (Should have taken pictures but i just wanted it done!) then with a little help from the wife and some silicone spray was able to work it back in the aluminum base. Just a heads up in case any of you run into this that reaching out directly to the company that manufactures these screens is way better than reaching out to trekwood RV. I f I needed to replace the screen they charged less than 25% what trekwood wanted! Stoett Industries sports screen.

JRTJH
04-11-2020, 11:37 AM
... Just imagine how much these campers would cost if Keystone had to pay the trekwood price to build one!!! Good grief!:banghead:

https://www.trekwood.com/products/1094165/Wall-Screen-Base-Plate-9-Deg-Wedge-Set-2-Pc

It ain't no different with Ford, GM, Fiat/Chrysler or even Polaris, Whirlpool (try buying a dishwasher control board/costs as much as a new dishwasher) or nearly any other "parts for anything"....

I suppose there's a price they pay to store all those parts for years, until someone needs it... But yeah, it can get expensive buying individual parts for anything that breaks....

DMK
04-13-2020, 12:58 PM
It ain't no different with Ford, GM, Fiat/Chrysler or even Polaris, Whirlpool (try buying a dishwasher control board/costs as much as a new dishwasher) or nearly any other "parts for anything"....

I suppose there's a price they pay to store all those parts for years, until someone needs it... But yeah, it can get expensive buying individual parts for anything that breaks....

As a former auto dealer technician I beg to differ! Yes parts do cost $ but at the % mark up that trekwood charges it's plain and simply highway robbery! The few items I have priced with them over the years is an average of 300% mark up! I am finding that it is best to find out who manufactured the parts and going directly to them! Shame on them! I can understand a reasonable mark up but theirs is unbelievably high!!!

JRTJH
04-13-2020, 01:43 PM
As a former auto dealer technician I beg to differ! Yes parts do cost $ but at the % mark up that trekwood charges it's plain and simply highway robbery! The few items I have priced with them over the years is an average of 300% mark up! I am finding that it is best to find out who manufactured the parts and going directly to them! Shame on them! I can understand a reasonable mark up but theirs is unbelievably high!!!

A GE 1157 bulb costs $0.89 at WalMart and $7.89 at Ford, a Delco Remy alternator costs $59.00 at NAPA and $189.00 at Chevrolet, a MOPAR radiator hose costs $44 at Advance Auto and $179 at Jeep.

The point I was making is that investing in parts when they are current, keeping them in stock for years ties up that investment and the price of maintaining those parts, dusting them off every year, keeping them in inventory and hoping to sell them after holding them for 8, 10 or 15 years is not cheap. The process of maintaining inventory and hopefully selling those parts goes up as the years progress. You did bring up a good point though. Buying from an expensive "OEM dealer" can often bring a 300% markup. My recent front caliper/rotor/brake pad replacement cost well over $600 at the Ford dealer and was advertised for $189 per axle at the local "brake and muffler shop"... So, shame on them all for making money !!!!! They should ALL consider us as non-profit agencies and give us everything at cost !!!!! :nonono:

ADDED: For those why may not know, Trekwood.com (RV parts online website) is, in reality, the RV Parts counter at Tiara RV Sales. If you go to Trekwood.com and scroll down to the bottom of any page, on the lower right corner you'll find: :This is a Tiara RV Sales Website"

So, in reality, what you're doing when you shop at Trekwood is "shopping at a dealership (some call them "stealership") online parts department that is physically located in Elkhart, IN.

flybouy
04-13-2020, 01:49 PM
There's one cure for "overpriced, 300% markup, highway robbery/price gouging", don't buy it.

JRTJH
04-13-2020, 04:51 PM
There's one cure for "overpriced, 300% markup, highway robbery/price gouging", don't buy it.

"Me thinks" that's going to be about as successful as forcing the RV manufacturers into building "zero defect RV's" by boycotting all RV sales lots....

flybouy
04-13-2020, 04:59 PM
I think the RV industry looks at their products like the boating industry, or any other "disposable income" product. If you can afford to spend you're money then you can afford to pay the "premium costs" for replacement parts, accessories, etc.

AbHDToyHauler
04-14-2020, 09:17 AM
A GE 1157 bulb costs $0.89 at WalMart and $7.89 at Ford, a Delco Remy alternator costs $59.00 at NAPA and $189.00 at Chevrolet, a MOPAR radiator hose costs $44 at Advance Auto and $179 at Jeep.

The point I was making is that investing in parts when they are current, keeping them in stock for years ties up that investment and the price of maintaining those parts, dusting them off every year, keeping them in inventory and hoping to sell them after holding them for 8, 10 or 15 years is not cheap. The process of maintaining inventory and hopefully selling those parts goes up as the years progress. You did bring up a good point though. Buying from an expensive "OEM dealer" can often bring a 300% markup. My recent front caliper/rotor/brake pad replacement cost well over $600 at the Ford dealer and was advertised for $189 per axle at the local "brake and muffler shop"... So, shame on them all for making money !!!!! They should ALL consider us as non-profit agencies and give us everything at cost !!!!! :nonono:

ADDED: For those why may not know, Trekwood.com (RV parts online website) is, in reality, the RV Parts counter at Tiara RV Sales. If you go to Trekwood.com and scroll down to the bottom of any page, on the lower right corner you'll find: :This is a Tiara RV Sales Website"

So, in reality, what you're doing when you shop at Trekwood is "shopping at a dealership (some call them "stealership") online parts department that is physically located in Elkhart, IN.

I totally agree with the costs to stock parts if they indeed stock them and don't just forward what they can get from other sources. We have $1.5 million in spare parts in our manufacturing facility to help prevent down time. The accountants hate it as it's corporate money sitting on a shelf. However doesn't take long to lose a lot of money when a factory is down waiting for parts. But there is definitely a cost to having your money tied up in inventory that you can't sell. My two cents.

jwilfong
04-19-2020, 07:30 AM
Try the link below, that's where i got mine for about 200.00.

https://www.stoett.com/sportscreen/

Gunny Mike
04-19-2020, 01:28 PM
I use to work for an OEM where we marked up the aftermarket parts 200% when we sold them to the dealers.

DMK
06-09-2020, 02:33 PM
Try the link below, that's where i got mine for about 200.00.

https://www.stoett.com/sportscreen/ That is exactly what I did reached out to Stoett talked to an engineer there who gave some very helpful advice. As mentioned above, I was able to fix my screen. If I ever need to get one to replace it in the future they quoted me a price of around $60 for a replacement screen, the whole assembly was around $200. So the best thing to do is research to find the actual manufacturer and deal directly!