PDA

View Full Version : Those Animals we see while RVing

CWtheMan
04-09-2020, 06:16 PM
I guess this forum will be best for chatting about all the birds and animals we encounter while doing the RV thing, going down the road.

I missed a lot of picture taking when we first started full timing it around the country. When I started taking pictures I was hooked. I’ve always been into computers (operating systems) since very early on.

Before we made our first RV trip I purchased a Sony desktop and flatbed scanner. The Sony was top of the line and very easy to transfer my pictures into from my cameras or developed pictures scanned by the flatbed. Once I started using the system for picture storing, I purchased a few photographic apps and was on my way to acquiring a vast pictorial record of our travels and the animals seen along the way.

I’ll kick this off with a few pictures from one of my first digital cameras.

These are turkey vultures on the Hurst Castle farmlands near San Simeon, CA. Click on them to enlarge.

26232 26233

hankpage
04-09-2020, 08:08 PM
The dangerous wildlife we find at our doorsteps

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=1219

From the wilderness of Sarasota Fl. three trailers and two TVs ago. Taken with a Sony Mavica (3" floppies and it still works) My first digital and I was hooked. We never camped without full hookups but I always managed to get some good shots of local birds and animals. Amazing what you can find if you look close.

hankpage
04-09-2020, 08:29 PM
A few more from around the same time (Mid 1990's)

Great Blue Heron

Green Heron

I know you all subscribe to "Apple Snail Magazine" so you may remember this shot when it was published.
Apple Snail laying eggs at night

The dangers you expose yourself to in wildlife photography can be exhilarating. :D

Alpine
04-09-2020, 08:48 PM
I was drug kicking and screaming from my film cameras. My first digital was the Nikon D-40.... and haven't looked back, smiling all the way!!! We retired in 2013 and started (and continue) our fulltime journey. We enjoy looking and reliving our travels through photography as much as taking them.

Here is one from Anza Borrego Desert, California....

CWtheMan
04-09-2020, 08:54 PM
I was drug kicking and screaming from my film cameras. My first digital was the Nikon D-40.... and haven't looked back, smiling all the way!!! We retired in 2013 and started (and continue) our fulltime journey. We enjoy looking and reliving our travels through photography as much as taking them.

Here is one from Anza Borrego Desert, California....

Beautiful animal. We saw some very similar while on a boat ride on the Colorado but never got close enough for a great picture like this one.

CWtheMan
04-10-2020, 03:27 AM
Bush Gardens, Tampa, FL.

When this big guy saw me he turned and looked right at me as if posing.

26245 26246

Northofu1
04-10-2020, 06:01 AM
Grazing at the water hole, Marlin Perkins would be thrilled at such a find.
Two legged animals count?

flybouy
04-10-2020, 06:06 AM
Two legged animals count?

Only the "party" subspecies which you have captured so well!

LHaven
04-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Before we made our first RV trip I purchased a Sony desktop and flatbed scanner. The Sony was top of the line and very easy to transfer my pictures into from my cameras or developed pictures scanned by the flatbed.

What a coincidence.

Our first trip in our very own rig was a grand tour of the US in 1999. Our youngest was 10, so we had to homeschool him. The lower bunk was his work area, boasting a desktop Mac IIci with a clunky CRT. His English lessons consisted of keeping a more or less daily journal on it, which I would (manually) convert to HTML and load onto a free public website for his family and friends. (We carried a list of "modem-friendly RV parks" so we could find connectivity.)

Cameras weren't digital back then, and photos actually had to be developed, so along with our Canon I brought my clunky scanner so we could add photos and drawings (his Art class) to the journal (usually at some time delay).

The travel itself was his History class (his school's fourth-grade theme was "The Settling of America," an extremely fortuitous happenstance). We visited Williamburg, DC, oil strikes, plantation houses, the Nina replica, the Santa Fe Trail, Sutter Mill, the Alamo, the Lewis and Clark Trail, and more, accompanying each with the appropriate educational lecture.

His 20-year-old website with all those photos is still online to this day, (http://kevintavares.tripod.com/9810.html) though we can no longer control its contents.

Anyway, since all this is only marginally on topic for this thread, here's a shot of some of the pretty, exotic deer we always love to see in west central Texas. The "unfenced" shots are from a cozy little park on the river near Junction, where they stock feeders for the herd right in the campground area, to provide daily entertainment for the campers.

LHaven
04-10-2020, 08:28 AM

Not to mention Jim -- he was the one who always had to wrestle them down while Marlon stood way back and narrated, remember?

I wonder if Mutual of Omaha sells #MeToo insurance?

Alpine
04-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Stub Stewart State Park, Oregon. Fun RV Park and a great Disc Golf course.

flybouy
04-10-2020, 09:00 AM
The dangerous wildlife we find at our doorsteps

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=1219

From the wilderness of Sarasota Fl. three trailers and two TVs ago. Taken with a Sony Mavica (3" floppies and it still works) My first digital and I was hooked. We never camped without full hookups but I always managed to get some good shots of local birds and animals. Amazing what you can find if you look close.

Back in the late 1990's I was a construction project manager for then wildey growing Blockbuster Inc. They gave us those Sony camera's with the floppy drive. I still remember the "click", grind, grind, grind, then about 15 seconds later you take another picture. Had to carry a LOT of batteries with me. One of the first pictures was the new boat we bought in 1997 I think.

Alpine
04-10-2020, 09:22 AM
Pulled over to the side of a country road in Pendleton, Oregon... took this out the window of the truck.

flybouy
04-10-2020, 09:44 AM
Assateague Island, VA where the local VFD round up the "wild ponies" and sell them every year.

billsr
04-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Bush Gardens, Tampa, FL.

When this big guy saw me he turned and looked right at me as if posing.

26245 26246

Yeah, he was thinking "now there's my next meal":D

Northofu1
04-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Not to mention Jim -- he was the one who always had to wrestle them down while Marlon stood way back and narrated, remember?

I wonder if Mutual of Omaha sells #MeToo insurance?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Canonman
04-10-2020, 04:11 PM
Always enjoy taking and seeing others wildlife photos. Still get a thrill putting the sneak on these guys:)

CWtheMan
04-11-2020, 09:05 AM
Pronghorns, Custer State Park.

JRTJH
04-11-2020, 03:27 PM
More a test post than a "share the fox" posthttps://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1170&pictureid=6939

McRod
04-11-2020, 08:44 PM
What?! Taking wildlife photos at the zoo! ;)

I caught these two going at it in the Redwoods. Heard the horns rattling from about 1/2 mile away. They were so busy going at it, they never even knew I was there...or didn't care.

McRod
04-11-2020, 08:52 PM
This lanky gal walked right up to me in the parking lot. Had two calves in tow. She was easily 6ft at the shoulders.

Alpine
04-11-2020, 09:05 PM
I was standing next to the fifth-wheel when I spotted this Coopers Hawk land on a fence to scope out his next meal. Ran inside to get my camera... when I returned he decided to fly...

McRod
04-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Ever seen a white wolf standing guard at a wolves lair? I have.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26539&d=1587056244

Ok, ok...truth be told. That's my dog, Achilles von Schulenberg. He is a white German Shepherd. :angel:

McRod
04-11-2020, 09:19 PM
I was standing next to the fifth-wheel when I spotted this Coopers Hawk land on a fence to scope out his next meal. Ran inside to get my camera... when I returned the decided to fly...

You know what's better than standing next to your 5th wheel and taking photos of wildlife ( nice still shot of the hawk btw!)?...

Having the wildlife stand (or sit/lay down) next to your 5th wheel to take a photo! That's my Big Sky in background. No kidding!

Alpine
04-11-2020, 09:22 PM
You know what's better than standing next to your 5th wheel and taking photos of wildlife ( nice still shot of the hawk btw!)?...

Having the wildlife stand (or sit/lay down) next to your 5th wheel to take a photo! That's my Big Sky in background. No kidding!

Ya got me there for sure! Beautiful Elk & Fifthwheel.

McRod
04-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Full disclosure... They had my RV surrounded.... typical for my elk hunting trips. Spend the whole day out and don't see anything. Come back to camp and I have to ask 'em permission to get in the front door! :facepalm:

dutchmensport
04-12-2020, 04:54 AM
Um... yes...

That is a buffalo sitting on someone's back porch.

Custer State Park, South Dakota:

https://i.imgur.com/moi5szT.jpg

notanlines
04-12-2020, 05:29 AM
Taken at the Bonneville Dam fish ladder, right after she passed the fish counter. (How boring would that job be?)

B-O-B'03
04-12-2020, 06:41 AM
Found this critter at Seminole Canyon SP

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=808&pictureid=6940

Our campsite, outside of Big Bend NP, had lots of these "running" around

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=808&pictureid=6941

We were driving the loop around Marfa and Fort Davis and these guys ran in front of us and jumped the fence, so we stopped and took a few shots

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=808&pictureid=6942

-Brian

ctbruce
04-12-2020, 07:07 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piasa

The Legend of the Piasa Bird, outside of Alton, IL26358

CWtheMan
04-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Ground squirrels filmed at the first tee, Coyote Wash GC.

Alpine
04-12-2020, 02:21 PM
What... could that be a two-headed Sheep? Naw, look a lil' closer!

This was in Zion National Park. We stayed for a couple of week in Hurricane, Utah at Willow Wind RV Park.

hankpage
04-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Hope that LHavens can see this photo uploaded a different way.

LHaven
04-12-2020, 04:58 PM
Looks great!

vampress_me
04-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Columbian ground squirrel, In Glacier National Park at Logan Pass in 2006. These guys were as much fun to watch on that trip as the mountain goats were. We didn’t have our camper yet, but camped in the Big Horns in WY with DH’s parents later in the trip.

B-O-B'03
04-13-2020, 09:55 AM
Looks great!

I can see that one too :)

-Brian

Alpine
04-13-2020, 06:31 PM
This Snowy Egret was working the shoreline for his next tasty snack. Taken at Rancho California RV Resort.

KCSA75
04-13-2020, 08:04 PM
The beaver was near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado. The young elk was taking a stroll through the Mammoth Campground at Yellowstone NP.

CWtheMan
04-13-2020, 09:44 PM
The Hearst Castle at San Simeon, CA has a huge expanse of grazing property. There are all sorts of animals from around the world grazing there.

While driving down a frontage road heading for the main castle road we spotted these Zebras.

26450 26451

Alpine
04-15-2020, 07:53 AM
Who... me??? Traveling through Iowa.

Alpine
04-15-2020, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=CWtheMan;385929]The Hearst Castle at San Simeon, CA has a huge expanse of grazing property. There are all sorts of animals from around the world grazing there.

While driving down a frontage road heading for the main castle road we spotted these Zebras.

What.... Zebras.... who-da thought? Very cool!

KimNTerry
04-15-2020, 09:18 AM
We have seen the Zebras a few times on our way up to Big Sur. A bit further up is the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal rookery.

Hblick48
04-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Elk Country RV Park in Trinidad, CA has a heard of elk that comes through park on a daily basis. Have to be careful for the "elk pies" as you walk around.

kcamp99186
04-16-2020, 04:08 PM
Caught this Eagle at Springfield Lake in Akron, OH while camping for a reunion several years ago.

CWtheMan
04-16-2020, 08:03 PM
My little Sony with a zoom did real good with this picture. This migrating little Eastern Blue Bird took a rest on a section of a floating dock at the American Legion RV Park, Jacksonville, FL.

Alpine
04-16-2020, 08:42 PM
This coyote was still out hunting after sunrise. He was trotting by when I gave a sharp whistle and he stopped for just a split second.

CWtheMan
04-16-2020, 09:20 PM
This coyote was still out hunting after sunrise. He was trotting by when I gave a sharp whistle and he stopped for just a split second.

Thumb's up!

CT Wanderer
04-17-2020, 03:36 PM
The first time we camped at Assateague National Seashore we saw only two wild horses in three days. We went back again last spring and there were horses everywhere. These guys paid a visit at our campsite every day we were there.

CWtheMan
04-17-2020, 08:29 PM
While meandering along, west on CA-46, we spotted this majestic looking animal (A Beefalo). We found a pull-off and walked back for pictures. I had to talk to him for at least 15 minutes to get him too stand-up for pictures. I think he just stood-up to move to the shade. He and another bull seemed to have this pasture all to themselves.

26585 26586

CWtheMan
04-21-2020, 01:41 AM
Don’s wife Betty is from Peoria and sometimes during our travels together we would go there to hookup for the upcoming season’s travels.

In Peoria we stay at a well established RV/Mobile Home park. It’s loaded with large oak and other trees.

This big solitary Red Squirrel was coming around every day. We must have been right in the middle of his territory. I had been trying to make friends with him but he was quite skittish. These pictures are the closest I ever got and the only time I ever saw him on the ground.

TRIVIA: Gray squirrels do not carry Rabies. Red squirrels do. I got bit by a gray one time and that’s what the doctor told me. I captured - alive -the gray that bit me. The doctor said I could let him go.

26702 26703

26704 26705

26706 26707

Alpine
04-21-2020, 09:14 AM
During our stay at Kartchner Caverns State Park, Arizona

Alpine
04-21-2020, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=CWtheMan;386377]While meandering along, west on CA-46, we spotted this majestic looking animal (A Beefalo). We found a pull-off and walked back for pictures. I had to talk to him for at least 15 minutes to get him too stand-up for pictures. I think he just stood-up to move to the shade. He and another bull seemed to have this pasture all to themselves.

Whoa... that's a hugemongous animal!!!

CWtheMan
04-25-2020, 01:04 PM
When in the Greenville, SC area we often ride out to Scuffletown to shop in their store – not mentioned in the link – where they have a huge section for consignment sales.

One time while exploring the RV Park we found this Peacock freely wandering around in a sparsely populated section of park property. I followed him around and took these pictures. I was hoping he would get excited as I approached him and give us a full view of his massive tail. He was just too used to being around people to be bothered by me.

Scuffletown RV Park is out in nowhere Greenville County. We have never considered staying there. The following link is active and you can enlarge the pictures by clicking on them.

http://www.scuffletown.com/index.html

26895 26896

26897 26898

CWtheMan
05-01-2020, 11:08 AM
On a side trip to this NP from Yuma, AZ we drove around to the Marine base at Twentynine Palms, CA and entered there, then drove down to I-10 for the trip back to Yuma.

While roaming around on foot, I spotted this little guy out in the open and followed him all the way to where he tried to hide from me.

27062 27063

LHaven
05-01-2020, 04:48 PM
Yup, no shortage of little lizards in the desert hereabouts. Yours looks like a Whiptail Lizard, which are plentiful.

Every so often you come across a impressive specimen like this Twin-Spotted Desert Spiny lizard. These colors (red head, blue torso, yellow sides) are completely natural, plus his underside is a bright lime green. (Naturalist DW providing the hand modeling.)

travelin texans
05-01-2020, 08:22 PM
Yup, no shortage of little lizards in the desert hereabouts. Yours looks like a Whiptail Lizard, which are plentiful.

Every so often you come across a impressive specimen like this Twin-Spotted Desert Spiny lizard. These colors (red head, blue torso, yellow sides) are completely natural, plus his underside is a bright lime green. (Naturalist DW providing the hand modeling.)

Have found a couple of that guys close relatives lately in our park, they're horned lizards, or as we called them as kids, horny toads.
One was about the size of a silver dollar, the other the size of my thumb.
As kids in Texas we could find them about the size of the palm of my hand that we would tie a spring around & lead them around.

CWtheMan
05-08-2020, 07:04 AM
The water is Lake Huron and the CG is Mill Creek.

We were there for two weeks and these two geese, a Canadian & Snow were always together. We guessed that they just liked each other.

27183 27184

CWtheMan
05-17-2020, 02:31 AM
The majestic giant white egret.

JGEORGE
05-20-2020, 07:22 AM
Spotted this guy watching us as we ate lunch.

CWtheMan
05-22-2020, 01:06 PM
The black vulture is a bit larger than the turkey vulture. Both do a wonderful job of taking care of most road killed animals.

In Florida they are often seen in flocks. It happens about twice a year. This picture was taken in Jacksonville, FL where I saw this flock in someone’s back yard on the Cedar River.

SummitPond
05-22-2020, 04:28 PM
This guy was admiring himself in the chrome bumper for hours, then jumped up on the hood before taking off.

CWtheMan
05-29-2020, 02:58 AM
One time while traveling on US-95 in southern AZ, we spotted this wild Burro someone captured and fenced-in, so we stopped for pictures. It was quite friendly.

Alpine
05-29-2020, 07:24 PM
There are a few Snowy Egrets that hang around at Rancho California RV Resort.

Ken / Claudia
05-30-2020, 05:10 PM
No photos, but last weeks trip from Portland to Boise. Seen 9 big horn sheep, around 15 elk, 6-8 white tail deer, 1 mule deer, 1 coyote all standing nearby I-84 in Oregon. 2 more trips planned this week before we live in the TT at a RV park for up to 2 weeks before closing on the new house in Fruitland, ID.

Bill-2020
05-30-2020, 05:37 PM
There are a few Snowy Egrets that hang around at Rancho California RV Resort.

You have a few very nice pictures here. A birder by chance?

notanlines
06-04-2020, 05:54 AM
This doe and her two tag-a-longs were spotted and photographed by my wife last evening. She was in the process of cleaning them both when we first spotted them, but she got nervous before the iphone appeared and she chose to move on. They were as small as any fawn we have ever seen.

LHaven
06-04-2020, 09:37 AM
One time while traveling on US-95 in southern AZ, we spotted this wild Burro someone captured and fenced-in, so we stopped for pictures. It was quite friendly.

A beautiful classic specimen. If you enjoy wild burros, we have very healthy and very visible herds in our area, at both Lake Pleasant Park and Alamo Lake, both with very nice RV parks. We joke about all the signage at Alamo Lake about picking up after your dog, yet all the RV slots are strewn with piles of donkey poop. :lol:

Shortly after we bought our place in 2000, a wild colt (9 mo.) of this pattern came in through our gate and decided he liked our lawn better than the desert. We officially adopted him from the BLM and have had him now for 20 years. He's the sweetest burro you've ever encountered. Schmoozes all our guests for head rubs and treats.

CWtheMan
06-08-2020, 07:05 AM
Bordering our back yard there is an easement where huge weeds grow. Some produce beautiful flowers and that’s where I found this beautiful Monarch butterfly.

27889 27890

notanlines
06-10-2020, 04:13 AM
The first two weeks of June is the time of year that the turtles in Wisconsin look for the warm sand/gravel and lay their eggs. This is just an example, albeit small, of a snapper at the edge of the road covering her eggs. So far this year we have spotted about 30-35 large snappers right at the edge of the road laying their eggs. I don't know why, but she hissed at me like she would have enjoyed taking my thumb off so I left her alone!

hankpage
06-10-2020, 09:38 AM
Dec. New jersey shore. Young Harbor Seal hauled out to warm up in the sun looks like I woke him up. He wasn't too upset, he did wave goodbye with a big smile. (Photos are taken with telephoto lens. Harassment or feeding of marine mammals is a federal crime. Report injured animals to local authorities.)

CWtheMan
06-15-2020, 11:52 PM
The Anhinga – snakebird - has no means to lubricate its feathers and must be quite dry before attempting to fly.

They will come out of the water on dry land, as this one has or climb into low slung tree branches to dry. When approached they have two options, reenter the water of try to fly. They are pretty smart about being able to fly and will do so early if they feel threatened. This one was nearly dry when I took the picture and flew away when I retreaded.

Picture taken on the bank of the Cedar River, Jacksonville, FL.

Alpine
06-16-2020, 04:59 PM
You have a few very nice pictures here. A birder by chance?

Thanks for the compliment Bill... I enjoy taking pictures of all wildlife and have quite a few of birds as well.... not sure if that is the definition of a "birder?"

So then it begs the question.... are you are birder?

*photo of a Green Heron*

Bill-2020
06-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the compliment Bill... I enjoy taking pictures of all wildlife and have quite a few of birds as well.... not sure if that is the definition of a "birder?"

So then it begs the question.... are you are birder?

*photo of a Green Heron*

I guess the definition of a birder can vary depending on the person and if they consider themselves a birder or not. Typically a "birder" is one who watches and catalogs bird species seen.

Am I? Not so much, but I'm fond of birds and I do enjoy photography and taking pictures of them. Florida is a great place if you're a birder or like taking pictures of them.

I am the son of an avid birder who created a well known software nearly 30 years ago to catalog birders' sightings.

hankpage
06-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Woooo will keep you up at night.

and dinner time.

CWtheMan
06-17-2020, 08:10 AM
I don’t consider myself a birder. I have lots of pictures of them because when RVing I always had a little digital Sony with a 8X zoom around my neck or in a pocket.

However, I do bait birds, so to speak, because I always put-up some kind of bird feeder to attract the song birds. All the pictures I have of larger birds are because we were both there at the same time

In the series of pictures below we were parked at the USN RV Park at NAS Jacksonville, FL. We were parked up under some shade trees and one of their branches was right outside our living room window. There were always birds coming and going from the bell feeder.

28107 28108

28109 28110

Bill-2020
06-17-2020, 11:40 AM
However, I do bait birds, so to speak, because I always put-up some kind of bird feeder to attract the song birds.

I'm surprised the squirrels don't lay claim to the the bell! You're not baiting... you're opening up a chow line. :lol:

Baiting would be tossing out a fish carcass just to get a picture of an eagle or osprey coming in for the grab. (all of my good wildlife pictures are stashed away on a network drive that I'm not connected to)

Alpine
06-22-2020, 08:09 PM
Did someone say "birds?" :D California Thrasher

CWtheMan
06-24-2020, 04:40 AM
Seals basking in the sun on a secluded little beach near San Simeon, CA.

flybouy
06-24-2020, 06:05 AM
To the "birder's" out there if you are in the NE part of Maryland check out the Conowingo dam. They purportedly have one of the highest concentrations of Bald Eagles. Photographers from all over the country go to Fisherman's Park at the lower discharge of the dam for pictures. They winter over there from Oct to March in large numbers.

hankpage
06-24-2020, 08:54 AM
I'm by no means a birder but they do seem to end up in my lens at the end of the day. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1124

Alpine
06-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Stayed two weeks visiting Yellowstone National Park in 2013. RV'd at the North Entrance in Gardiner, Montana.

RCW
06-26-2020, 06:00 AM
Baby Green Heron.

Bill-2020
06-26-2020, 06:15 AM
Stayed two weeks visiting Yellowstone National Park in 2013. RV'd at the North Entrance in Gardiner, Montana.

We love spending time in the Yellowstone area.

flybouy
06-26-2020, 06:49 AM
We live within sight of the a river that feeds the Chesapeake Bay (about 5 miles down river). The Great Blue Heron are everywhere and they used to be frequent visitors to our back yard. That is, until I got tired of feeding them Koi from our pond.

CWtheMan
07-14-2020, 10:01 AM
Theodore Roosevelt, NP. Here is a herd of Bison walking down a park road and a majestic solitary old bull.

28667 28668

Alpine
07-18-2020, 09:29 AM
Back in Oregon for the summer months....

hankpage
07-18-2020, 11:52 AM
We live within sight of the a river that feeds the Chesapeake Bay (about 5 miles down river). The Great Blue Heron are everywhere and they used to be frequent visitors to our back yard. That is, until I got tired of feeding them Koi from our pond.

When we lived in the north east I kept the herons and furry masked bandits at bay with decoys, netting and growing peppermint at the pond edges. When we moved south I had plans for a beautiful pond but soon realized Mother Nature had upped the ante and anything short of an armed guard was futile.
Okay, this is not my back yard

but this is.

CWtheMan
09-21-2020, 09:25 AM
As the weather cools here in the SC foothills the birds and animals get antsy and a little more active hunting for their daily food intake. Today is the first time in months since there was a Red-bellied Wood-pecker on any of my bird feeders.

He has much more red on his head than his belly. I think another red headed woodpecker got the name first.

CWtheMan
09-29-2020, 10:37 AM
Found this old Brown Pelican basking in the sun at a very busy pier at John's Pass.

30061 30062

CWtheMan
11-28-2020, 10:46 AM
Ruddy Turnstone on the Myrtle Beach, SC, State Park fishing pier.

30953 30954

Canonman
11-28-2020, 07:03 PM
Breakfast guest

CWtheMan
12-20-2020, 11:40 AM
My 1st cousin up in Maine took this picture of a passing, inquisitive, healthy looking Bobcat.

CWtheMan
05-04-2021, 05:46 AM
Every year we have lived here, there have been at least two mating pairs of Coopers Hawks show-up to fatten-up. There is a spring fed fresh water stream on the left (not shown). The grounds below the coopers in these pictures are a nesting place for a large vole community. The coopers will get their breakfast, dinner & supper of voles there before nesting. When their young hatch they’ll be back hunting food for the young.

In the 1st two pictures there is a mating pair of coopers. The one high-up already has a vole. In the next picture the one with it's catch is leaving.

33361 33362

A survivor.

CWtheMan
05-25-2021, 09:42 AM
This black Leach was found swimming near the bank of Lake Huron, Mackinaw, MI.

They are also found in clear water lakes and ponds in Maine. We called them “blood suckers”.

notanlines
07-06-2021, 03:04 PM
These are 2 of about 15 Black bellied whistling ducks we have in our RV park feeding at our neighbors bird feeder. A first for us.

LHaven
07-10-2021, 08:28 AM
Momma burro and nursing baby, here at our park in Arizona.
We constantly have our unimproved land "adopted" by one wild herd or another.
Other than knowing how to turn on water faucets (and then leave them running -- same as cattle), they are harmless and pleasant to have around.

CWtheMan
08-18-2021, 05:58 AM
The San Diego Zoo is a major attraction. Here are some PIXs taken during our last visit there. (Elephants with small ears are from India).

35307 35308

35309 35310

35311 35312

35313 35314

Brantel
08-18-2021, 11:23 AM
Just outside the Grand Canyon NP and inside the park at the campground. The big bull using the crosswalk was awesome.

CWtheMan
01-23-2022, 11:01 AM
It got a little chilly here in the SC foothills this past week. When it started to snow, the cardinals roosted and puffed their feathers out to keep warm.

BigBobIa
01-23-2022, 02:07 PM
Ft Huachuca 37978

CWtheMan
05-14-2022, 05:30 PM
Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, FL

Whenever we have the opportunity, Linda and I like to put out some bird feeders and see how many different bird species will stop by to feed while we are parked there.

These pictures were taken at the RV Park aboard NAS Jacksonville, FL during a two week stay.

39733 39734

39735 39736

39737 39738

39739 39740

DaveAlb
05-15-2022, 05:49 AM
Very enjoyable…thanks for sharing! 😀

CWtheMan
06-25-2022, 12:41 PM
Cedar River, Jacksonville, FL

The Anhinga is a water bird found mostly in southern shallow waters. In FL it is more often referred to as a “snake bird”.

Because they do not have waterproof feathers they will almost always try to warm-up and dry out before flying. In my observations of this bird, it will usually defecate as it takes flight from the warming/drying position.

This one has it's back turned to the sun and will hold it's wings out to hurry the feather drying process.

sourdough
06-25-2022, 01:23 PM
Cedar River, Jacksonville, FL

The Anhinga is a water bird found mostly in southern shallow waters. In FL it is more often referred to as a “snake bird”.

Because they do not have waterproof feathers they will almost always try to warm-up and dry out before flying. In my observations of this bird, it will usually defecate as it takes flight from the warming/drying position.

This one has it's back turned to the sun and will hold it's wings out to hurry the feather drying process.

They are pretty interesting birds. Saw them from time to time in our southern travels but didn't pay much attention. We spent a month in Crystal River FL and a couple of hours every day at Lake Rousseau with puppy. Those birds LOVE it there and just sit on the stumps in shallow water, wings outspread the entire time we were there. And yes, seemed like they "jettisoned the tanks" upon lift off.

gearhead
06-26-2022, 05:33 PM
We call those "water turkeys" in SE Texas. If you have a stocked pond, they will eat the fish out of it pretty quick.

sourdough
06-26-2022, 06:29 PM
We call those "water turkeys" in SE Texas. If you have a stocked pond, they will eat the fish out of it pretty quick.

I don't guess I've ever seen them "in action", just sitting and/or sunning. Do they dive like osprey or skim fish or ?? To empty a stocked lake they would have to be pretty active seems like.

Alpine
06-27-2022, 11:06 AM
Taken out-back in the desert at Rancho California RV Resort. Aguanga, CA.

CWtheMan
08-06-2022, 09:49 AM
Greenville, SC Squirrels

When at Linda’s hometown we parked at Springwood RV Park out on US-25 in southwest Greenville, SC.

The RV Park was well established with trees/power polls on or near our fiver on just about all of the sites we used. When possible, I’d park as close to a tree or power poll that could be viewed from the trailers living room window. Tigger, our cat was mesmerized and would spend hours watching the squirrels/birds.

40986 40987

40988 40989

40990 40991

40992 40993

CWtheMan
10-01-2022, 08:04 AM
A Cat Story

In our current retirement community, we have a ditch running along our front yard property line. Many people have asked us how we control the mosquito problem. The answer is, we don’t have one. The “ditch” is actually a freshwater stream that bubbles from the ground about a quarter mile away. After it leaves out property it has been routed into an underground pipe to a pond about 2 miles away.

All local birds, wild animals and strays end-up in our back yard because the stream is the only fresh water in the neighborhood. We get a lot of stray cats. Normally I trap them, try to identify their owners and take all unclaimed ones to the local animal rescue unit operated by the county.

About 5 years ago a black cat could often be seen drinking from the stream. All attempts to capture him failed. Linda has a friendly voice all animals take to. So she started taking him food and talking to him. In about a month she lured him onto our porch, and we captured him. He had been so traumatized by someone that I just knew the animal shelter would destroy him. So, we adopted him and made him a house cat. To this day he is extremely frightful of all male guests. He has learned to tolerate me, but I can only touch him when he is looking for a treat. However, he loves Linda and even sleeps in her lap.

When we first got him, we called him little black. By the time he got to 14# we gave him the name Sammie. He will not wear a collar, so we got him chipped.

Addendum: We once found a stray that was friendly. We took it to our vet to see if it had a chip. Yup! She had one. She was 16 miles from home and her owner was thrilled when we called her to see if she wanted her cat back.

41830 41831

bruceflinch
10-22-2022, 05:55 AM
Nice pics!
I’m too busy driving to look sideways, but I do announce the species of roadkill to my GF as I pass by.

vampress_me
10-22-2022, 06:00 AM
Nice pics!
I’m too busy driving to look sideways, but I do announce the species of roadkill to my GF as I pass by.

Thank you. I’m glad I’m not the only one that does this. :D I’ve been announcing to my family for years what the roadkill was we just went by if it was unusual. Deer, deer, deer, deer gets really boring. If it was particularly “smeared” we may have to have a “moment of silence for the deceased”. But, we have a weird sense of humor. :lol: There also used to be a game called Roadkill Bingo…

JRTJH
10-22-2022, 07:27 AM
Thank you. I’m glad I’m not the only one that does this. :D I’ve been announcing to my family for years what the roadkill was we just went by if it was unusual. Deer, deer, deer, deer gets really boring. If it was particularly “smeared” we may have to have a “moment of silence for the deceased”. But, we have a weird sense of humor. :lol: There also used to be a game called Roadkill Bingo…

I usually make the comment that the "daily special at the local diner" is influenced by what's on the side of the road.... A number of years ago, after making such a comment at a particularly gruesome and bloody roadkill scene, we stopped for lunch at a "mom and pop diner in a small town in Alabama"... Sure enough, on the menu was, "Roadkill burgers".. My son, in his "12 year old wisdom" wouldn't stop commenting on how neat it was that he was eating dead stuff from the highway..... <sigh> Kids :facepalm:

flybouy
10-22-2022, 07:43 AM
I've been saying for years that deer are more suicidal than whales. I think there should be some deer therapist available in rural America. All said in jest....

wegone
10-25-2022, 07:16 AM
We were going to the Columbia River Gorge and passed through Portland Oregon, when we saw these animals destroying the habitat.

I tried to post pictures, but the censor keeps rejecting it, sumtin about senseless nudity. :whistling:

CWtheMan
12-30-2022, 11:45 AM
These are Mallard Ducklings feeding on a sandy beach near the clear waters of Lake Ossipee, NH.

Alpine
10-02-2023, 07:51 PM
Canadian doing a flyover here in southern California.