PDA

View Full Version : Another electrical question

rabbit59
04-05-2020, 04:58 PM
I own a brand new 2020 keystone cougar 22rbs and the other day attempted to open dining slide. It started out and quit. I never noticed the battery cutoff in passthrough storage was off and battery was apparently low on voltage. I turned switch back on and battery charged overnight. Slide would still not go in or out. Also, stabilizers wouldn't work. I think awning too. I was pretty sure something electrical was going on. My wife was posting questions and I was trying all kinds of things. Checking fuses, looking for a reset button someone said was on tongue, looked in icommand panel in passthrough. Well, I'm not sure what I did, but it all worked later when I tried stabilizers. So, my question....where is reset I must have pushed? Is there a place to get master schematics for electrical and maybe plumbing? This is a learning process and want to be prepared for anything. I'm pretty good finding things, but wherever that manual slide motor is, has me fooled. I really dont want to cut underbelly cover unless absolutely needed. Thanks all!!!

chuckster57
04-05-2020, 05:05 PM
You won’t find any schematics for your RV. They are all in a file cabinet in the great pumpkins office. LOL

Seriously, Jayco is the only manufacturer that I know will send you schematics but even then you can’t trust them. I have had 2 trailers same year/model 1 number apart (S/N) meaning they came off the line together but the wiring isn’t routed the same.

It can be frustrating I know.

flybouy
04-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Just guessing but what you describe sounds like the auto resetting fuse tripped, then cooled down enough to reset. When voltage is low then the amperage is higher (ohm's law) so sounds like battery was drained, you operated the slide and it tripped.

Logan X
04-05-2020, 06:07 PM
If those batteries were drained for a long period of time they could be damaged and may have a hard time holding a charge. I would keep my eye on them.

Sorry if you already know this, you don’t want to drain the batteries below 50%.

I’m glad you got the slide working again.

GHen
04-06-2020, 03:49 PM
I agree with above, a good volt meeting is a must to find electrical gremlins like a reset breaker.

And here is a chart on battery voltages that come in handy.

Frank G
04-06-2020, 05:12 PM
We have a 2017 Laredo 325RL. When plugged into shore power the battery disconnect switch will disconnect the slides and leveling system, not much else. The battery is still charged with the switch off. I rarely turn the switch off, we tend to plug the RV in before opening up or closing up the unit. If it sets more than a week or two without shore power we pull the battery. The disconnect switch does nothing to keep the battery from draining when disconnected from shore power.

I truly believe no two units are wired the same.

GHen
04-06-2020, 05:25 PM
Frank is right, my battery disconnect allows the battery to go dead in 10 days rather than 5 days with it off.

Any lengthy time without some kind of charging will kill the batteries.

Customer1
04-06-2020, 05:42 PM
Look for something like below near the battery on the tongue rail.

https://www.wiringproducts.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/10-amp-short-stop-modified-reset-circuit-breaker-12-vdc-parallel.jpg

skids
04-07-2020, 02:21 AM
Check for sacraficial current when the battery disconnect switch is set to disconnect. I would do that by pulling off the negative terminal and run your multimeter leads from post to terminal.

Steveo57
04-07-2020, 06:20 AM
I have a 2018 22RBS and have traced out the wiring for the battery. See the attached drawing. All those things you mention except the awning go through the 30 amp autoreset breaker by the battery. Might check all the connections there.

Since you have inCommand you could have also have had an issue with it. The inCommand has a Travel lock that will not allow you to operate the slides, awnings or stabilizing jacks if it's active. Could that have been the problem?

Stumpy75
04-23-2020, 07:17 AM
Somewhere in my literature I read not to try to open the slide without having the battery in the loop. The converter apparently does not have enough juice to move the slide by itself, and if the battery is low, you very well might have caused the breaker to open because the slide was trying to pull more juice than was available.