PDA

View Full Version : What does this switch do ?

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 03:38 PM
Hey Montana High Country folks, does anyone know what this switch does ???

jsb5717
04-05-2020, 03:42 PM
On ours it turns on the yellow LED's on the front cap.

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 03:49 PM
On ours it turns on the yellow LED's on the front cap.

Nope, a switch below and to the left turns my front cap lights on.

GHen
04-05-2020, 04:10 PM
How about a light under the steps?

flybouy
04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Are those "Lite" switches less calories than the regular "Light" switches?:lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Some units have a "night light" near the floor.

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Are those "Lite" switches less calories than the regular "Light" switches?:lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Some units have a "night light" near the floor.

Ha … I just wanted to keep the label as small as possible. :lol:

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 04:25 PM
How about a light under the steps?

Nope, this FW doesn't have a step light.

flybouy
04-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Ha … I just wanted to keep the label as small as possible. :lol:

We moved into our current house in 1999. There are several 3 and 4 gang light switches and one 5 gang. I still turn on 1/2 of them before I get the right one! :banghead:

Do you have a central vac?

sourdough
04-05-2020, 04:47 PM
My panel is different than yours but I have a switch in a similar position that I've not determined the function. I do believe however that it will be to operate the power awning power strip accessories - just got to find to time to make sure.

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Do you have a central vac?

Yes, its located in the face of one of the stairs but has its own switch right next to it.

chuckster57
04-05-2020, 04:53 PM
That is a 12V switch so it either energizes a 12V circuit or a relay for 110VAC. We don’t sell HC so I can’t investigate.

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 04:54 PM
My panel is different than yours but I have a switch in a similar position that I've not determined the function. I do believe however that it will be to operate the power awning power strip accessories - just got to find to time to make sure.

You may be on to something here concerning the power awning power strip accessories. Mine came with 2 accessory lights that I have not been able to make work when attached to the channel. I'll definitely check that out tomorrow.

sourdough
04-05-2020, 05:20 PM
You may be on to something here concerning the power awning power strip accessories. Mine came with 2 accessory lights that I have not been able to make work when attached to the channel. I'll definitely check that out tomorrow.

If you don't have the instructions google dometic 9100 power awning strip accessories. Pick the entry headed "power channel operating - Dometic" with a pdf file for the instructions. I have it but it won't give a link because it keeps downloading onto my hard drive. There is a certain way to align the tabs etc.

chuckster57
04-05-2020, 05:29 PM
If you don't have the instructions google dometic 9100 power awning strip accessories. Pick the entry headed "power channel operating - Dometic" with a pdf file for the instructions. I have it but it won't give a link because it keeps downloading onto my hard drive. There is a certain way to align the tabs etc.

Seems like I saw one of those awnings on a unit a couple weeks ago. Didn’t get to really check it out.

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 06:04 PM

I couldn't seem to find the PDF. If you happen to run across it again, could you provide a link ?

JRTJH
04-05-2020, 06:12 PM
Try this link, then click on the third response. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ZY-KXufGLY6StAaAs51w&q=dometic+9100+power+awning+strip+accessories&oq=dometic+9100+power+awning+strip+accessories&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDEoKCBcSBjEyLTEzOEoICBgSBDEyLTF Q9ApY9ApgjShoAXAAeACAAYgBiAGIAZIBAzAuMZgBAKABAqABA aoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwinjcmU3NLoAhUOCc0KHYBZBw4Q4dUDCAw

The one you want to click on starts with: 10/06/16 - Power Channel Awning Operating ... - Dometic

triplebvalp
04-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Finally found the PDF on the Dometic site. Will check tomorrow to see if that switch controls the accessory rail.

sourdough
04-05-2020, 07:40 PM
You probably just need to give it a try. There is no telling how that panel was wired and what switch does what. Dometic won't have a clue I doubt how everything was hooked up.

mtofell
04-05-2020, 10:39 PM
I know there are often times tank sensor labels that don't correspond to anything since manufacturers save money by just using the same panel across many models. Maybe the switch doesn't go to anything?

JDDilly
04-06-2020, 05:01 AM
Check the powered accessories on the awning rails. That is what my mystery switch was for.

flybouy
04-06-2020, 05:15 AM
I thought about installing a nice, illuminated switch that did nothing on our panel. I was going to label it "Phools switch, installed by Joe King"(spelling intentional). That way, when someone asks what it's for I could say I don't know but I feel like a fool because I can't figure it out.:banghead:

The better part of valor (DW) said not to, so I didn't.:whistling:

triplebvalp
04-06-2020, 07:03 AM
You probably just need to give it a try. There is no telling how that panel was wired and what switch does what. Dometic won't have a clue I doubt how everything was hooked up.

BINGO !!! sourdough, that switch did indeed control the accessory channel on the awning arms. Problem solved and thanks for the suggestion.

Captainf2
04-12-2020, 09:53 AM
Powers the awning track light attachment

Msmith2054
04-12-2020, 10:45 AM
If you or anybody else continue to have trouble locating a circuit, try this.

JRTJH
04-12-2020, 11:17 AM
If you or anybody else continue to have trouble locating a circuit, try this.

I do hope that was posted in jest.... Find a stuck breaker, plug that in and it'll be "hell to unplug" as the insulation melts off the wire and it starts sparking on you.... IMHO, not a good idea, even for "light duty DC circuits" to identify a fuse by making it blow.

LHaven
04-12-2020, 11:39 AM
What's funny is that that's essentially the mechanism for a GCFI tester tool button (much less current, of course).

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/3/63929_I.jpg

As to the original switch question, if nobody found the right answer, I was going to suggest that it was a light switch put there so you could read the labels on all the other switches.

:hide:

Msmith2054
04-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Yes, thought it was obviously in jest.

triplebvalp
04-12-2020, 02:06 PM
I'm the original OP … see post #22.

Pare
04-12-2020, 04:12 PM
I have a 2019 Montana High Country 385BR. My switch looks exactly like yours, and it controls the Amber lights on the front cap.

captbozy
04-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Flux capacitor on and off.

triplebvalp
04-13-2020, 12:05 PM
Flux capacitor on and off.

The sales lady at Camping world told me it was to turn the cruise control on. Yeah, right, this Montana HC didn't come with the XLT package, so I know she's wrong :rolleyes:

dutchmensport
04-13-2020, 12:37 PM
As others have stated, that is most likely the switch that turns on your Dometic power strip on your awning. It will be a channeled strip either on the arm of your awning, or the roller channel. More than likely, it will be on the arm.

You will need to pick up either the matching light or fan or another accessory that works in that channel. Unfortunately, that channel is proprietary, so finding another light or appliance to fit the channel is next to impossible to find. And yes, those lights cost about $70 for one light. They ain't cheap!

Also, there is a positive and a negative. If you insert the appliance backwards, it won't work. And there is really no way to tell which way it twists into the channel, as it can be twisted either direction. So, if you attach something and it doesn't work, flip it around and it probably will.

I have 2 lights. One for each awning on my camper. My awning roller does not have the connection, it's on the Arm closest to the front of the camper.

https://i.imgur.com/BCI6aov.jpg

ctbruce
04-13-2020, 12:44 PM
If you or anybody else continue to have trouble locating a circuit, try this.Don't try this at homa!

Try it at your neighbor's home first.

(This is a joke just in case)

Keystoned
04-13-2020, 02:06 PM
I was gonna say it turns the switch blue, obviously. lol

WeRV
04-16-2020, 09:30 AM
I was at the rv dealer yesterday and found out a lot about the power rail on the awning arms. The switch that controls the power rail is unmarked on my high country. Attach the power rail light assembly by inserting the light base into the rail slot and rotating the light base 90 degrees. Make sure the arrow on the base points toward the rear of the fw. Turn on the switch. There is a small button on the face of the light you just attached to the power rail. If all goes according to Hoyle, the light should come on. Pushing the button again WILL NOT turn the light off. You have to turn the panel switch off, instead. Good luck.