PDA

View Full Version : Carbon 337 - Middle of Couch - Storage?

LifeMadePortable
04-02-2020, 09:05 AM
The middle section of our couch (we have the heated massage chairs) ...

Is that storage of any kind? Seems it might be covering electrics and motors.

sandy43
04-02-2020, 04:41 PM
We have a couch that makes into a bed. When pulled out (partially) theirs storage space, about 8" X the couch length. We put 2 large plastic containers in there and store blankets, quilts, etc.. Works great.

LifeMadePortable
04-02-2020, 06:33 PM
We have a couch that makes into a bed. When pulled out (partially) theirs storage space, about 8" X the couch length. We put 2 large plastic containers in there and store blankets, quilts, etc.. Works great.

And this is for the Carbon 337? I'd love to see pictures of this, if you have any.

chuckster57
04-04-2020, 06:00 AM
The middle section of our couch (we have the heated massage chairs) ...

Is that storage of any kind? Seems it might be covering electrics and motors.

If there is any storage, the top of the section will be a hinges lid. On some there is an outlet (110VAC) and a USB port. If your chairs extend by a motor, that motor is under the chair.

LifeMadePortable
04-04-2020, 07:06 AM
Image is attached. I don't feel a hinge or any of that, which leads me to think it's nothing more than face value seating.

Seems a waste. Hoping I'm wrong.

chuckster57
04-04-2020, 07:11 AM
That looks like the 3 piece with the "rip cord" handle to extend each section. There isn't any easy way to access under the center section as all three are attached to each other at the bottom and secured to the floor.

flybouy
04-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Image is attached. I don't feel a hinge or any of that, which leads me to think it's nothing more than face value seating.

Seems a waste. Hoping I'm wrong.

Is that a drawer under the center section?

ctbruce
04-04-2020, 08:00 AM
Is that a drawer under the center section?No it's a foot rest for a recliner. At least that's what mine is. All 3 sections recline.

LifeMadePortable
04-04-2020, 08:39 AM
All 3 sections recline.

I see no signs of this being the case. What would be a foot rest is wood plank knee-to-floor.

ctbruce
04-04-2020, 08:51 AM
I see no signs of this being the case. What would be a foot rest is wood plank knee-to-floor.Bummer. Like Chuckster said above, mine has a d ring to pull on the right side to release the foot. Did you look under to verify it's open space? Not doubting you, just asking for clarity.

That said, if there is no recliner mechanism under it, then this should be open space. Accessing it probably was not built in. Doesnt mean it couldnt be modified to work the way you want to use it.

Anybody out there have any suggestions on such a project?

LifeMadePortable
04-04-2020, 09:41 AM
Doesn't mean it couldnt be modified to work the way you want to use it.

Anybody out there have any suggestions on such a project?

Thank you, CTBruce.

I myself am game to work on it as a project, assuming there are no over-the-top fabrication loopholes to consider.

Open space = maybe. I've peeked under both recliners toward the center before. Looks to be some wiring, etc but storage isn't impossible.

That's actually what initially brought me here.

If I can isolate a serial/model I can maybe look at the install noise and see what went where.

If anybody's already done this: link me.

If anybody has product info, that too 8-)

chuckster57
04-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Do you know the brand of recliners? If its Thomas Payne then that is an LCI product. If that's the case then the recline motor and the heating pad are underneath. The wiring harness that plugs into the wall is a transformer and the actual parts of the chair are NOT 110 VAC. I doubt you will find much product information anywhere.

LifeMadePortable
04-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Chuckster57, my model has the heated seats but no motor (pull cable). I'll look up the model you mention.

chuckster57
04-04-2020, 10:35 AM
Does it have lighted cups and massage? all that wiring is under the seat and IIRC its just 2 or 3 plugs like a stereo headphone size.

LifeMadePortable
04-04-2020, 10:39 AM
It absolutely does, yes.

In googling around, I'm seeing a lot of other version with the drop down back rest (center) that becomes a sort of cup holder & magazine stow.

I can feel a *little* give, ie wiggle room at that back rest area but it doesn't to tilt forward, per say.

Juuust not sure what's what.

Oh, and yes, having crawled under the left recliner a few moons back, I do remember the power outlets. I'm curious what this couch model's construction points are.

Minor disassembly and a function parts swap could amount to a decent DIY.

LewisB
04-04-2020, 10:45 AM
Add me to the list of interested parties (this post will plug me in to the notifications of future posts). We have exactly the same couch as the OP in our 2018 Raptor 353TS. It still has the Thomas Payne covers on the lower section. Each side has pull cord recliner, heat, and massage, center does nothing. Like the OP, I have wondered what's under the center section. In our case, something came "unplugged" as all the electronics stopped working (but I can not find any blown fuses or circuit breakers). The couch initially only worked when 110VAC was available, but there are no identified or tripped circuit breakers in the power center. So I am assuming the referenced power to the transformer came unplugged, or the transformer stopped working, or...

I haven't made much of an attempt to fix this (pretty low priority), but it will hit the top of the list at some point, so I'm interested to see if there are any options.

Thanks to the OP for posting this!

ctbruce
04-04-2020, 10:55 AM
Does the middle back lift up from the bottom revealing a fold down section? Then the back would close back down into place.

LifeMadePortable
04-04-2020, 11:14 AM
Does the middle back lift up from the bottom revealing a fold down section? Then the back would close back down into place.

Not from what I've tried, no. I mentioned a bit earlier that there is some wiggle play but no obvious "this is a function" result.

I'll do a dirty/dusty sorting with pictures after we clean up (pulling anchor next week).

Then maybe we can all look at the hardware and discuss hinge-friendly options.

Warranty, shmaranty.

flybouy
04-04-2020, 11:19 AM
If you can flip it over and take some pics you may get more suggestions on a modification.

LewisB
04-04-2020, 01:17 PM
For me, that's part of the problem. It seems to be bolted down with no "apparent" ability to loosen. Nor is any of the wiring immediately apparent or available. Someone suggested that I have to recline both sides, then crawl UNDER the recliner to reach bolts that go into the slide out floor. That's the point at which this project got pushed down to the bottom of my "to-do" list. (ha-ha) If I can get the thing unbolted and turned over, I won't have any problems figuring out how to fix it. And considering modifications for additional storage as well.

Maybe next week...

chuckster57
04-04-2020, 01:29 PM
For me, that's part of the problem. It seems to be bolted down with no "apparent" ability to loosen. Nor is any of the wiring immediately apparent or available. Someone suggested that I have to recline both sides, then crawl UNDER the recliner to reach bolts that go into the slide out floor. That's the point at which this project got pushed down to the bottom of my "to-do" list. (ha-ha) If I can get the thing unbolted and turned over, I won't have any problems figuring out how to fix it. And considering modifications for additional storage as well.

Maybe next week...

Most likely there are 2 squarehead screws through the front framework into the floor. In a few cases I’ve seen them in the framework going front to back. A flashlight is your best friend, ask me how I know.