PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Hornet Peeps!!!

Kelseyb23456
04-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Hi there!

New Member here! I have exhausted all my options and would love/need input. My family and I bought a Keystone Hornet a few years ago, we were told it's a 2008 model but cannot find the exact floor plan which is okay I guess. Anyway, we have some issues that I am hoping to learn more/gather ideas.
We have this trailer at a campground with an attached sunroom, it does not travel.

This past summer, we left for a day and our shower pipe bursts because it was old (Our warm water doesn't work so we were using the campsite bath house)

When we acquired this trailer, it worked for maybe a few months then stopped along with our heat. The central air & cold water however work. We are okay with using the bath house but now are looking to fix it. With that being said, we now need to replace the flooring, we were going to rip out the carpet and install laminate, any one have any success? Any ideas why the heat stopped working?

During the flood, it completely warmed our dinette area (It was a built in one that turned into a sleeping space. Anyone know a reasonable place to get one?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Logan X
04-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Welcome to the forum! My first guess on why the heat and hot water stopped working would be the propane tanks are empty. Do you know if you have propane?

Sorry to hear about the burst pipe. In the future you may want to turn off all of the water supply to the trailer when you are not there so that doesn’t happen again. Also, are you using a water pressure regulator on the water supply?

Kelseyb23456
04-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Hi! Yeah, we thought we did turn the water off but totally forgot. Any other time, we always leave it off. As for the propane, both our tanks are full. Not sure why it won't work or the heat won't kick on. :(

Logan X
04-02-2020, 10:28 AM
What type of water heater do you have? Does it run on gas and electric? If so, does it work on one of those?

Ken / Claudia
04-02-2020, 03:00 PM
Regarding the year of the trailer. It has a VIN (vehicle identification number) just like your cars and trucks. That will have the year of built in the code. From the left read the VIN code, count 10 digits, a 2008 that digit is 8. (2007 =7, 2009=9)
You had better have the VIN written on the bill of sale, registration, title or certificate of origin.
It will also be on the trailer in several locations. 1st is left (drivers side) near the front. That will be a white sticker. On that will also show other data included day/month/year of build. On the trailer the VIN should also be on a yellow sticker on the inside of the door or one of the doors. Some have been put inside a cabinet.

Kelseyb23456
04-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Didn't even think to check, thank you! Any ideas on where I can look into companies that make trailer furniture? We'll need a new dinette set for this upcoming season!

Kelseyb23456
04-07-2020, 09:53 AM
We have propane, both tanks are full. There's a switch that's above the stove and it says Propane/Gas (on and off switch), it lights up red once we flip it on. No hot water or heat. We're not too upset about the hot water but it's definitely a nice added feature once it gets too cold to use the bath house.

Logan X
04-07-2020, 10:11 AM
Is it possible the winterization bypass valve is on so that the water heater is being bypassed altogether?

flybouy
04-07-2020, 10:14 AM
I'm guessing the switch you are referencing is to run the water heater on electric. The furnace and the water heater need 2 things to operate. 1. LP gas and 2. 12 vdc to operate the control boards and ignition. Having both appliances fail at the same time would make me suspect of the battery or the gas.

If you just replenished the lp tanks you may have opened the tank valve too rapidly. If you crank open the valve rapidly the tank valve will "see" this as a leak and shut off the flow. The remedy is to turn off the lp tank valves, remove the hoses to relieve the pressure. Then screw the hoses back on, slowly Crack the lp tank valve first, then slowly open the valves fully. Then light the burners on the stove (all of them) to purge air from the gas line. All burners should burn with a blue flame.

Then try the furnace and water heater. You should hear a tick, tick, tick sound of the igniter. If you don't hear that sound then you either don't have sufficient voltage (over 12vdc) or there are other issues that will require further investigation or a call to a repairman if you are not a "tool and meter" sort of person.

Kelseyb23456
04-07-2020, 10:25 AM
I'm guessing the switch you are referencing is to run the water heater on electric. The furnace and the water heater need 2 things to operate. 1. LP gas and 2. 12 vdc to operate the control boards and ignition. Having both appliances fail at the same time would make me suspect of the battery or the gas.

If you just replenished the lp tanks you may have opened the tank valve too rapidly. If you crank open the valve rapidly the tank valve will "see" this as a leak and shut off the flow. The remedy is to turn off the lp tank valves, remove the hoses to relieve the pressure. Then screw the hoses back on, slowly Crack the lp tank valve first, then slowly open the valves fully. Then light the burners on the stove (all of them) to purge air from the gas line. All burners should burn with a blue flame.

Then try the furnace and water heater. You should hear a tick, tick, tick sound of the igniter. If you don't hear that sound then you either don't have sufficient voltage (over 12vdc) or there are other issues that will require further investigation or a call to a repairman if you are not a "tool and meter" sort of person.
Very helpful. We keep it a a campground so once we get clearance to travel to NJ I will definitely test it out to see what happens. Thank you so much.

Kelseyb23456
04-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Is it possible the winterization bypass valve is on so that the water heater is being bypassed altogether?
The campground actually does the winterization so we really have no parts in it. I can definitely check though!

Gobirds38
04-14-2020, 05:46 AM
Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!