PDA

View Full Version : Balance beads

Brantlyj
03-31-2020, 06:33 PM
Guessing the tires didn’t come from the factory balanced and if replacing it sounds like having the proper balancer for trailer tires is rare.

Has anyone used balance beads? What was your experiance?

sourdough
03-31-2020, 06:51 PM
I have used balance beads and they worked great from my experience. The issue I had is the apparent decomposition of the materials.

Had them installed on a new set of tires and they worked really well with a really smooth ride. On about the 2nd long trip to FL my valve cores would stick open every time I tried to adjust/air up the tires. Initially thought it was due to beach sand somehow ALWAYS being stuck down inside the valve stem. I don't believe that was the case; I think the beads themselves wear down and then get stuck in the valve core. It caused me some issue because sometimes the core would not close. Replaced them all and still had issues. So, in my experience, they work well at the balancing aspect but cause other issues and I don't/won't use them anymore.

Willie & Bev
03-31-2020, 06:52 PM
I don't have any experience with trailer tires. I used them for years on Honda Gold Wing motorcycles. Regardless of what anyone may say they did work on my motorcycle. I have been tempted to try them on our TT.

Willie & Bev
03-31-2020, 06:55 PM
Danny brought up a good point. I was told that you should give the valve stem a small puff of air to push any beads out of the stem before checking air pressure or adding air. I think they make a valve stem that will not allow the beads to enter. I have never seen one though.

Willie

Brantlyj
03-31-2020, 07:17 PM
I have used balance beads and they worked great from my experience. The issue I had is the apparent decomposition of the materials.

Had them installed on a new set of tires and they worked really well with a really smooth ride. On about the 2nd long trip to FL my valve cores would stick open every time I tried to adjust/air up the tires. Initially thought it was due to beach sand somehow ALWAYS being stuck down inside the valve stem. I don't believe that was the case; I think the beads themselves wear down and then get stuck in the valve core. It caused me some issue because sometimes the core would not close. Replaced them all and still had issues. So, in my experience, they work well at the balancing aspect but cause other issues and I don't/won't use them anymore.

Since it takes a minimum speed to generate enough centrifugal force to hold the beads I always wondered if any damage occurred to the rubber, but your scenario makes sense also. At low speed they probably tumble around like clothes in a dryer. I can defiantly see them wearing away to granular or even powder.
It would have been interesting to see what everything had looked like when the tires got changed out.

With everything going on I don’t see tires as an option this year. I have not called around to see if anyone has the correct balancer, just thinking about options. I plan to defiantly replace in 2021 so beads might be ok for a year.

JRTJH
03-31-2020, 08:19 PM
I have not checked tonight to see if there has been any change, but the "Carlisle tire warranty" specifically excluded tires in which any sealant or balance bead type accessory has been used. I believe Goodyear has the same exclusion, so before you do install the beads, double check the tire warranty.

sourdough
03-31-2020, 08:34 PM
I do believe there are exclusions on the use of beads if you think you may use a tire warranty....I never have. I'm not sure what they do to the tires and I've never opened one up after extended use but I did see some pics of motorcycle tires that had apparently been damaged by their use.

Willie & Bev
04-01-2020, 12:42 AM
I have never had any tire damage from using them and have reused some of the beads when changing tires on the motorcycle. Back then I had the equipment to change my own tires. Some manufactures do void the warranty if you use them. Back then I was averaging 20, 000 miles a year. The beads were easier for me to use then the weights. I probably won't use them on the TT. The dealer I bought the Goodyear tires from claims they balance them the correct way. I wasn't able to see for sure how they do them.

Willie

German Shepherd Guy
04-01-2020, 03:56 AM
:popcorn: Just wondering, why would balancing TT tires be any different from balancing a tire on a car or truck? :confused: Why would a "proper balancer for trailer tires is rare." be the case? When I had the new Goodyears put on the TT I had them balanced. My mechanic didn't act like that was a strange request. Am I missing something?
On my motorcycle, a road bike, I have often not balanced the tires and noticed no difference in wear to the ones I have balanced. But then I buy top of the line tires and change them out once a season so maybe I am not the best test case. I have never heard of balance beads. :confused: I love this forum, learn something new almost every week.:D

rhagfo
04-01-2020, 04:39 AM
Discount tire never had an issue balancing our tires.

flybouy
04-01-2020, 08:04 AM
:popcorn: Just wondering, why would balancing TT tires be any different from balancing a tire on a car or truck? :confused: Why would a "proper balancer for trailer tires is rare." be the case? When I had the new Goodyears put on the TT I had them balanced. My mechanic didn't act like that was a strange request. Am I missing something?
On my motorcycle, a road bike, I have often not balanced the tires and noticed no difference in wear to the ones I have balanced. But then I buy top of the line tires and change them out once a season so maybe I am not the best test case. I have never heard of balance beads. :confused: I love this forum, learn something new almost every week.:D

The balancing "technique" depends on the rim which is built relevant to the spindle. Some are "hub centric" (most cars) where the center hole of the wheel is machines to be concentric to the outside of the rim. When the wheel is mounted the wheel "centers itself" on the hub. When it is balanced the machine uses a cone to mount the wheel to the balancer.

The second is "lug centric" (most trailer wheels) where the lug holes are concentric with the outside rim of the wheel. The wheel must be balanced with a machine that has an adapter plate in order to get the wheel centered on the machine.

JRTJH
04-01-2020, 08:09 AM
Just wondering, why would balancing TT tires be any different from balancing a tire on a car or truck? :confused: Why would a "proper balancer for trailer tires is rare." be the case? ...

Most vehicle wheels are "hub centric" (centered on the axle by properly sized hub hole) while most trailer wheels are cast to fit multiple size hubs and are "lug centric" (centered on the axle by properly positioned "angled lugs" that pull the wheel to the center of the "larger hub hole")

If you look at your trailer lug nuts, they are "cut at an angle" to pull the wheel into position and if you look at your vehicle lug nuts, they are "flat" because they don't need to "pull the wheel" as the wheel "snugly sits on the axle/hub casting".

The reason "many tire shops" can't properly balance "trailer wheels" is because they don't have the fitting for their balance machine that "properly positions a lug centric wheel on the hub centric balance wheel" so when they "spin it up" it isn't properly centered on the machine and that small "off center position" is enough to throw the balance off "just a tad".....

travelin texans
04-01-2020, 08:14 AM

Vehicle wheels are "hub centric" meaning the wheel is centered on the axle by the hub/spindle, you'll notice no gap around the wheel center & the hub.
Trailer wheels are "lug centric" meaning they are centered by the lug nuts, usually the center of the wheel isn't touching the spindle.
I've never had trailer tires balanced, would it have made any difference in wear??? IDK! Last set on my 16.5k 5th wheel had somewhere between 40 & 50k miles with good even wear on all 4. Had the axles aligned after about 5k miles which made a huge difference in tire wear.
Did it affect the ride? IDK! Didn't ride back there & never had cabinets or anything else shake off the walls.

slow
04-01-2020, 04:50 PM
I suspect that with a machined aluminum wheel there is negligible difference in effectiveness in balancing using the hub verses the lug holes because of the machining tolerances achieved.

On the other hand, lug centric verses hub centric is probably important when balancing a stamped steel wheel.

Roscommon48
04-01-2020, 06:53 PM
I'd just get them balanced. I have never used beads.

And for the most part trailer tires don't get balanced.

Old Mustanger
04-01-2020, 07:16 PM
I have never seen a "flat" lug nut, car, truck or trailer ymmv :hide:

JRTJH
04-01-2020, 07:24 PM
I have never seen a "flat" lug nut, car, truck or trailer ymmv :hide:

Take a look at the lug nuts that are on your SuperDuty.

travelin texans
04-01-2020, 08:15 PM
GMC DUALLY lug nuts.

rhagfo
04-01-2020, 09:32 PM
GMC DUALLY lug nuts.

That look like the ones on my Ram.

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 07:24 AM
Most vehicle wheels are "hub centric" (centered on the axle by properly sized hub hole) while most trailer wheels are cast to fit multiple size hubs and are "lug centric" (centered on the axle by properly positioned "angled lugs" that pull the wheel to the center of the "larger hub hole")

If you look at your trailer lug nuts, they are "cut at an angle" to pull the wheel into position and if you look at your vehicle lug nuts, they are "flat" because they don't need to "pull the wheel" as the wheel "snugly sits on the axle/hub casting".

The reason "many tire shops" can't properly balance "trailer wheels" is because they don't have the fitting for their balance machine that "properly positions a lug centric wheel on the hub centric balance wheel" so when they "spin it up" it isn't properly centered on the machine and that small "off center position" is enough to throw the balance off "just a tad".....

So I had the fleeting thought this weekend to get the wheels balanced before a long trip north. I took two of the four into Discount Tire this morning and they balanced them. I'll take the other two in tomorrow for the same. But now I wonder if they used hub or lug centric. I'll have to ask. Another post on this thread says it's no matter on aluminum wheels (which is what I have). One of the two wheels from this morning had 16 lead weights stuck down on the inside. That's a lot of out of balance in my book! What kind of tree did I decide to climb?!

Brantlyj
05-18-2020, 07:45 AM
So I had the fleeting thought this weekend to get the wheels balanced before a long trip north. I took two of the four into Discount Tire this morning and they balanced them. I'll take the other two in tomorrow for the same. But now I wonder if they used hub or lug centric. I'll have to ask. Another post on this thread says it's no matter on aluminum wheels (which is what I have). One of the two wheels from this morning had 16 lead weights stuck down on the inside. That's a lot of out of balance in my book! What kind of tree did I decide to climb?!

Just a thought but I would think anything cast would be more likely to be out of balance. The casting process isn’t perfect and if you had just a hairs width thicker on one side than another would cause quite a weight difference.
Most car wheels are cast these days and I always see a ton of weight on one side. Those that are steel I don’t notice as much weight.
The process of making the rubber tires can have denser areas as well

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 08:04 AM
Just a thought but I would think anything cast would be more likely to be out of balance. The casting process isn’t perfect and if you had just a hairs width thicker on one side than another would cause quite a weight difference.
Most car wheels are cast these days and I always see a ton of weight on one side. Those that are steel I don’t notice as much weight.

I also asked if they could change out the rubber valve stems for metal ones, they didn't have what would fit so we stuck with just a balance. $8.99/tire. Well spent I think, especially after seeing four ounces of weights stuck to the inside.

Brantlyj
05-18-2020, 08:34 AM
I also asked if they could change out the rubber valve stems for metal ones, they didn't have what would fit so we stuck with just a balance. $8.99/tire. Well spent I think, especially after seeing four ounces of weights stuck to the inside.

Doesn’t hurt. I’ve always wondered if balancing is more for comfort or if it reduces wear and tear on suspension as well...

flybouy
05-18-2020, 08:45 AM
If you have 16 weights then there's one of 2 possabilities. !. It was improperly balanced (my guess) or 2. The tire is defected and needs to be replaced. Modern tires should never require that much weight unless the belts have shifted.

I'd first question how the tires were balanced and if they say they are correct ask them to "check the balance" on the one with all the weights. I'll guess it won't be in balance. Anyone that adds that much weight should be asking some questions before adding that much weight.

flybouy
05-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Doesn’t hurt. I’ve always wondered if balancing is more for comfort or if it reduces wear and tear on suspension as well...

Any rotating mass will eventually cause damage to the supporting assembly if it's out of balance regardless if you are there to feel it or not.

flybouy
05-18-2020, 08:56 AM

Cast wheels aren't removed from the mold and stuck on a tire mounting machine. All cast wheels are machined to fit and to "run true". Most are balanced by the manufacturer as well.

A lot of tires come from the manufacturers with such a good balance that they paint a dot on the sidewall to indicate to the installer should align that spot with the valve stem. A "good" tire shop will do this if they care enough.

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 09:10 AM
If you have 16 weights then there's one of 2 possabilities. !. It was improperly balanced (my guess) or 2. The tire is defected and needs to be replaced. Modern tires should never require that much weight unless the belts have shifted.

I'd first question how the tires were balanced and if they say they are correct ask them to "check the balance" on the one with all the weights. I'll guess it won't be in balance. Anyone that adds that much weight should be asking some questions before adding that much weight.

I’ll have them check the balance on that one before I put it back on the axle.

JRTJH
05-18-2020, 09:47 AM
I’ll have them check the balance on that one before I put it back on the axle.

Tires have "red, green and yellow dots" on them to depict where the tire is mounted on the rim, in relation to the valve stem, or in some cases, with a specific marked location on the wheel. That tire, the one that required so much weight to balance may, as Marshall said, be a defective tire or it may simply have been installed on the rim with the incorrect rotational orientation. In other words, with the yellow dot next to the valve stem rather than opposite the valve stem. It does make a difference...

If you're going to ask the question tomorrow and you want to know if you're being fed "bovine waste" or if you're being provided with an honest answer, you can read the article at this link and it will pretty much explain how tires should be mounted on the wheel to minimize "excessive balance weights"...

https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/what-are-the-red-and-yellow-dots-on-my-tires/

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Tires have "red, green and yellow dots" on them to depict where the tire is mounted on the rim, in relation to the valve stem, or in some cases, with a specific marked location on the wheel. That tire, the one that required so much weight to balance may, as Marshall said, be a defective tire or it may simply have been installed on the rim with the incorrect rotational orientation. In other words, with the yellow dot next to the valve stem rather than opposite the valve stem. It does make a difference...

If you're going to ask the question tomorrow and you want to know if you're being fed "bovine waste" or if you're being provided with an honest answer, you can read the article at this link and it will pretty much explain how tires should be mounted on the wheel to minimize "excessive balance weights"...

https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/what-are-the-red-and-yellow-dots-on-my-tires/

These are new from a 2020 Passport, less than 3000 miles. I know the tire dots you speak of. There were no dots on these tires, sadly.

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 03:20 PM
John I checked out that link you shared- good to know details in there. Thank you.

I made a beeline for Discount to have the first two of four checked again. The store mgr and I both looked over the tread and sidewalls for any deformity that might lead to belt issues and neither of us could see anything (not to say there isn’t). We put both back on the balancer and spun them up (one has 9 weights, the other 16). Both read as balanced. We looked over the tread grooves to see any wobble or deformity and didn’t see anything. He said he’d love to get me in a set of Goodyear’s but reality is from his experience he has seen a lot of trailer tires and wheels that took a bit of weight to get them balanced. He didn’t feel the need to replace them. Coming from a mgr who has his eyes set on monthly sales quotas, margins, and probably commissions, I feel comfortable with what we both saw at the balancer. I’ll take the other two in the morning and see what those show. He agreed to let me stand there and watch from the beginning to end if I wanted. Heck yeah.

flybouy
05-18-2020, 03:33 PM
Here's a video on lug centric VS hub centric balancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWAZqNGhM4

CWtheMan
05-18-2020, 03:38 PM
John I checked out that link you shared- good to know details in there. Thank you.

I made a beeline for Discount to have the first two of four checked again. The store mgr and I both looked over the tread and sidewalls for any deformity that might lead to belt issues and neither of us could see anything (not to say there isn’t). We put both back on the balancer and spun them up (one has 9 weights, the other 16). Both read as balanced. We looked over the tread grooves to see any wobble or deformity and didn’t see anything. He said he’d love to get me in a set of Goodyear’s but reality is from his experience he has seen a lot of trailer tires and wheels that took a bit of weight to get them balanced. He didn’t feel the need to replace them. Coming from a mgr who has his eyes set on monthly sales quotas, margins, and probably commissions, I feel comfortable with what we both saw at the balancer. I’ll take the other two in the morning and see what those show. He agreed to let me stand there and watch from the beginning to end if I wanted. Heck yeah.

You didn't mention what method was used. Lug centric wheels cannot be properly balanced on a cone balancer unless a lug centric adapter is used.

CWtheMan
05-18-2020, 03:56 PM
Most tire manufacturer's don't want foreign objects of any design to be inserted into the wheels to counter imbalance. Their warranty will disallow coverage when such material is found in the wheel/tire assembly.

Tire warranties. Some like them and others do not. But, in this case, aren't the tire manufacturers telling us something about safety? Just maybe there is a better, safer way to balance the tires without the use of internal foreign objects.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=centronic+balancers&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&rec_search=1&plvar=0&refig=e17b6c4ce3234e478fecab7167eec030&PC=HCTS&sp=-1&pq=centronic+balancers&sc=1-19&qs=n&sk=&cvid=e17b6c4ce3234e478fecab7167eec030&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dcentronic%2bbalancers%26form%3d EDGSPH%26mkt%3den-us%26httpsmsn%3d1%26msnews%3d1%26rec_search%3d1%26 plvar%3d0%26refig%3de17b6c4ce3234e478fecab7167eec0 30%26PC%3dHCTS%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dcentronic%2bbalancers%26sc%3d1-19%26qs%3dn%26sk%3d%26cvid%3de17b6c4ce3234e478feca b7167eec030&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=7192417B9A3BCA4E27777192417B9A3BCA4E2777&FORM=WRVORC

ChuckS
05-18-2020, 05:29 PM
16 weights on 1 tire is absurd. Either you have a bad tire or a bad wheel...

Also... ceramic beads work quite nicely and balance tire/wheel combo dynamically as the tire wears and ages...

Been using these for over 20 years in my two motorcycles, 3 different diesel trucks and five different RVs....

4 ounces per 235/85x16 G rated 14 ply tire currently in use on my Alpine...

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

sourdough
05-18-2020, 05:38 PM

Also... ceramic beads work quite nicely and balance tire/wheel combo dynamically as the tire wears and ages...

Been using these for over 20 years in my two motorcycles, 3 different diesel trucks and five different RVs....

Have you used them with a TPMS? Tried one time and they turn into dust and stick in the valve stems.

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 05:56 PM

I hear ya - believe me I hear ya and I thought the same, absurd and a couple of other choice words.

But let's look at this from the other side as well, as delivered from the factory; no weights, no nothing. What was the tire and wheel assembly doing at 60-65 mph - how bad was that wheel vibrating down the highway?! (or the other one with 9 weights added for that matter!).

flybouy
05-18-2020, 06:04 PM
'Back in the day" (Lord that sounds old) I had a 1972 Grand Torino. Bought the newly released aluminum wheels. Back then you had a choice of having some Neanderthal with a hammer break the rim trying to put a lead weight on or you could use tape on weights that were notorious for falling off.

I found a speed shop back then that sold bead balancers that went between the wheel and the rotor or drum. I remember it being a thin plate with a tube around the perimeter with beads inside. They worked great for me. I don't know if they are still being made.

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 06:09 PM
'Back in the day" (Lord that sounds old) I had a 1972 Grand Torino. Bought the newly released aluminum wheels. Back then you had a choice of having some Neanderthal with a hammer break the rim trying to put a lead weight on or you could use tape on weights that were notorious for falling off.

I found a speed shop back then that sold bead balancers that went between the wheel and the rotor or drum. I remember it being a thin plate with a tube around the perimeter with beads inside. They worked great for me. I don't know if they are still being made.

Yes, they still do. It's a company in Texas I believe. I came across their website a few months back. There's also a you tube video they did showing the beads in a clear tube with a strobe. Quite impressive actually. I would have gone that route, but I'll probably upgrade to a 15 inch wheel so no use buying those at this point with 14 inch wheels.

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 07:15 PM
You didn't mention what method was used. Lug centric wheels cannot be properly balanced on a cone balancer unless a lug centric adapter is used.

Lug centric with an adapter plate.

Bill-2020
05-18-2020, 07:17 PM

Found them:

https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balance.rhtml?type=Bus-Motor-Homes

ChuckS
05-19-2020, 05:05 AM
Yes I use them with TPMS on RV... nothing internal inside the wheel for that system.

Regardless... the amount of weight the OP is reporting on one tire to balance it indicates There is a problem either with the tire, the wheel, and or the way the tire was mounted to the wheel

At the very least the shop should remove all the weights, unmount that tire and remount tire rotated 180 degrees and balance...

If it still needs that much weight they’d be putting on a completely new tire if it was my RV

JRTJH
05-19-2020, 05:36 AM
Yes I use them with TPMS on RV... nothing internal inside the wheel for that system.

Regardless... the amount of weight the OP is reporting on one tire to balance it indicates There is a problem either with the tire, the wheel, and or the way the tire was mounted to the wheel

At the very least the shop should remove all the weights, unmount that tire and remount tire rotated 180 degrees and balance...

If it still needs that much weight they’d be putting on a completely new tire if it was my RV

^^^ What he said. Tires are "normally slightly off balance" they are not "almost a pound off balance" There may be something wrong with the wheel, there may be something wrong with the tire, it may be that the tire is mounted with the "heavy part next to the wheel's heavy part (and rotating the tire 180* on the wheel will fix it), it may be that something inside the tire "separated and is rolled up in one spot...

As a "far fetched possibility" it may be that the person mounting the tire to the wheel (before it was shipped to Keystone) may have "lost a wrench" and you found it …. Or at least, you have it and don't yet know it.....

Something's "off kilter" with that tire/wheel combination. I wouldn't tow my trailer with that tire on the ground.

Bill-2020
05-19-2020, 05:53 AM
Note, I'm not the OP, but since I've stirred this up with a wheel that is not behaving, I'll assume the OP position for now.

I'll take that particular tire to the shop and have them rotate it 180 degrees and rebalance it again. Good idea, and much appreciated. When I said there are 16 weights on the wheel, that's 16 1/4 ounce weights. 4 ounces total.

flybouy
05-19-2020, 06:01 AM
Yup, they looked like that. Thanks!

JRTJH
05-19-2020, 06:52 AM
Note, I'm not the OP, but since I've stirred this up with a wheel that is not behaving, I'll assume the OP position for now.

I'll take that particular tire to the shop and have them rotate it 180 degrees and rebalance it again. Good idea, and much appreciated. When I said there are 16 weights on the wheel, that's 16 1/4 ounce weights. 4 ounces total.

Bill,

That 4 ounces rather than 16 ounces makes a significant difference. While still not ideal, 4 ounces is probably acceptable for balancing a ST tire, given some of the ways they're handled, shipped and mounted. I don't know that I'd return the tire again with that new information. If it were 16 ounces, then no way I'd tow with it on my trailer. So, at this point, it's pretty much a matter (at least in my opinion) of accepting it being "on the outside edge of OK" or trying to make it better by adjusting the tire on the wheel. That's a decision you'll need to make for your own peace of mind.

For the record, not that it matters in "function", but what brand wheel and tire are you trying to balance.

ChuckS
05-19-2020, 08:15 AM
If the total weight is only 4 ounces then why on earth did the tire guy install 16 weights? That’s also not acceptable ... his balancer tells him how much weight is needed and where to install. The tire shop should know better than this...extremely shoddy work was performed by a tire tech that doesn’t know his job

flybouy
05-19-2020, 08:38 AM
Looks to me the tire shop only buys a "one size fits all wheel weight". I would not accept that myself.

Bill-2020
05-19-2020, 05:21 PM
John- I'm glad you have better feelings about the 4 oz of weights. I'm going to throw a $20 at this wheel and have them rotate the tire 180 degrees in the morning. This is worth the knowledge to me now. The tires are sadly Trailer Kings and the wheel is YUAN CHEN - China, it says on the inside. 2200 max load. 14" - 5 Lug. I've been looking for different wheels (perhaps 15"), these are just ugly to me and too sporty. I can't find an aluminum wheel that has a matching 2200 load capacity. Everything I see is 1900. If I was able to find the right wheel, it was my thought to put a set of GY Endurance on them. Then sell these as a set to help offset the costs.

Chuck, Marshall - I watched the manager rebalance the wheel. It told him to use the 16 1/4oz stick-down weights. Two rows next to each other. On another wheel it only needed 1 1/4oz, and the machine to him to put it on the lip of the inside of the wheel (old school weight). I questioned why two different type weights in different locations on those two wheels. It was where the weight was needed, either outboard or inboard of the wheel's center line. We'll see how this wheel rebalances after the tire is spun 180 degrees. Stay tuned...

Bill-2020
05-20-2020, 08:36 AM
And here you have the result of rotating the tire 180 degrees and balancing it again. Much Better. I'm not sure what the true weight is from the markings on the old type of weight, but it would appear to be maybe 3/4 oz, given the size and taking into account the metal clip that holds it to the wheel. The new weights are located about 30 degrees right of the original location on the wheel. Shows that the heavy side of the tire was in fact matched up with the heavy side of the wheel. Thanks to all with your thoughts, ideas, insight and knowledge. A good lesson learned when new tires are needed/wanted. If there's too much weight, spin the tire. We're packing camper... Oh, it was only $9.62 for this because I removed the old weights and adhesives. Time and money well spent in my book.

AbHDToyHauler
05-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Just to add my two cents! I have used the balance beads for 10 years on my motorcycle tires which I change myself as needed and have reused the beads many times. Inside the tire when removed i found minimal tire wear and a bit of rubber fluff. I also use them on my truck tires and my wifes car tires. They balance dynamically so each time you drive they rebalance. I have never had issues with beads sticking in valve but I use the bead safe valves inserts and always check them with the valves at the 6 o'clock position as recommended by the manufacturer DynaBeads. I haven't used them on my trailer tires "yet" (Sailuns) but would not be afraid to. I believe i get more miles out my tires on the motorcycle for sure by using beads. I know trucking companies have been using the for years before I ever tried them. Why? To get more tire life. Perhaps the tire companies sell more tires when they wear prematurely? I don't know. LOL

jasin1
03-31-2024, 07:36 AM
If anyone wondered how they look and act on the inside of the tire while driving….also found it interesting how much tire sidewalls flex…can see how low air pressure could severely compromise tire longevity ….dont think i’d ever use them but they do seem to work at least initially https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZQXPLfOPXc

sourdough
03-31-2024, 08:14 AM
Yes, as I mentioned in post #2 the do seem to work....at first. My experience with them was very positive initially but as the beads degrade they cause issues at the valve stem with the debris sticking inside the valve stem mechanism causing it to remain open when removing an air chuck. VERY aggravating. First time I noticed it was after checking air pressure one morning, departing then checking pressure again that afternoon after driving most of the day - lost 10 psi. Though I had punctured a tire but when I checked the valve stem....bubbles. Once I removed the beads I've never had that issue again.

JRTJH
03-31-2024, 08:24 AM
Also, don't forget that as more and more TPMS components tend to be installed inside the tire, balance beads can interfere with the TPMS as well as the TPMS becomes an "obstacle to prevent the beads from moving freely" not to mention that ceramic beads hitting a square TPMS sensor tends to "sandblast the sensor while it breaks down the beads"....

jasin1
03-31-2024, 09:08 AM
Yes, as I mentioned in post #2 the do seem to work....at first. My experience with them was very positive initially but as the beads degrade they cause issues at the valve stem with the debris sticking inside the valve stem mechanism causing it to remain open when removing an air chuck. VERY aggravating. First time I noticed it was after checking air pressure one morning, departing then checking pressure again that afternoon after driving most of the day - lost 10 psi. Though I had punctured a tire but when I checked the valve stem....bubbles. Once I removed the beads I've never had that issue again.

Also, don't forget that as more and more TPMS components tend to be installed inside the tire, balance beads can interfere with the TPMS as well as the TPMS becomes an "obstacle to prevent the beads from moving freely" not to mention that ceramic beads hitting a square TPMS sensor tends to "sandblast the sensor while it breaks down the beads"....

yes i don’t think i’d ever use them…should have clarified that they do seem to work to balance the tire but wouldn’t want to take the chance on damage to tpms or even regular valve stems