PDA

View Full Version : forced self isolation

wiredgeorge
03-30-2020, 08:02 PM
I had not had a haircut for weeks prior to this mess happening. My hair was sticking out so badly that I had my wife give me a trim. Will be at least 3 weeks before I am fit to be seen in public. Geesh. :angel: Seriously, seems the local barber shops in Lakehills are open. I would think that would be about the easiest place to pick up the bug. Social distancing would be tough between a barber (who is in contact with MANY) and the guy in the chair. I am not the most cautious person but thought the wife's hair cut would be preferable especially since we are stuck pretty much out on our property. My youngest kiddo has volunteered to make grocery shopping stops for us as she thinks I am a geezer would be a higher risk....

Alpine
03-30-2020, 09:43 PM
Ummm this thread is gonna need photos of the new-do! :D

sourdough
03-30-2020, 10:03 PM
Well, here barber shops are considered non essential so no cuts. Thankfully I had mine cut about a week or so before the "confinement" so I'' be good for a bit. Used to have it cut by my barber of 30+ years every 10 days or so; now, whenever I look "tacky". :D

Course, I saw what my mom did to my dad and little brother in the "old days" and desperately want to avoid that "look". DW has said she is willing and able to step in and give me a cut.....now, what was I saying about "that look"? :lol::lol:

slimchancepistolero
03-31-2020, 02:47 AM
"Well, here barber shops are considered non essential so no cuts." i usually get my hair cut every April, once a year ... have done this for the last 15 yrs or so ... guess now i will have to wait till next April 2021 ...

chuckster57
03-31-2020, 03:57 AM
"Well, here barber shops are considered non essential so no cuts." i usually get my hair cut every April, once a year ... have done this for the last 15 yrs or so ... guess now i will have to wait till next April 2021 ...

I am a once about every 6 months guy, after 25 years of grooming standards. It’s getting where it’s starting to bother me, but I guess it have to wait a bit longer. Might have to wear a hat all the time.

Northofu1
03-31-2020, 04:20 AM
I got sick of paying for 5 minute haircuts, shaved to the wood for the last 10+ years. Haircut every 2 showers. :lol:

chuckster57
03-31-2020, 04:25 AM
Anybody remember/ admit to still owning a flobee? (Sp)

German Shepherd Guy
03-31-2020, 05:40 AM
I remember those! :bow:
Now I am a once a year guy whether I need it or not. :cool: Usually get it in late July. I shoot muzzle loading rifles in competition and the long hair "look" is good with an old flint lock rifle. ;) By end of July my competitions are nearly over and I am into showing German Shepherds in the suit and tie :nonono:where the well cut look is more in fashion. :lol:

Keystoned
03-31-2020, 06:47 AM
I'm down to one haircut per year, in my garage with an electric trimmer followed by the DW even-ing it out. Just cut it when it gets in the way...

JRTJH
03-31-2020, 08:06 AM
Anybody remember/ admit to still owning a flobee? (Sp)

The Flowbee is still alive and well. Only $149.95 with free delivery:
https://www.amazon.com/FLOWBEE-Haircutting-machine-Flowbee-System/dp/B000PPBSTC

ADQ K9
03-31-2020, 08:09 AM
Well for me it is every six weeks usually before I go back to work. I don't own a comb but I do have a nice trimmer with all the guards.
All the shops here are closed, so the trimmer will come out before I go back up north. I let the DW do it because I cant see what I am doing in the back and messing with a mirror and the trimmer at the same time is just asking for an error. Wearing a hard hat 12 hours a day I need some hair up there but not too much or it gets itchy.:cool:

Camp CA
03-31-2020, 08:48 AM
For me once a month. Last haircut was a week before SLO County in central California issued a shelter in place in March. So just ordered an electric rechargeable cordless men's hair clipper with self trimmer kit from Amazon.

travelin texans
03-31-2020, 09:09 AM
My DW has been cutting my hair about once a month for years, no she's not licenced, but after several very bad haircuts by those that were that I had to pay for I/we figured she couldn't do any worse & so far she hasn't plus the price of the clippers were less than a couple bad haircuts.

MerlinB
03-31-2020, 10:13 AM
The Flowbee is still alive and well. Only $149.95 with free delivery:
https://www.amazon.com/FLOWBEE-Haircutting-machine-Flowbee-System/dp/B000PPBSTC

From Amazon:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Must have sold out quickly. :lol:

flybouy
03-31-2020, 10:38 AM
From Amazon:

Currently unavailable.

Well, there goes my post retirement income plan!

JRTJH
03-31-2020, 11:10 AM
From Amazon:

Currently unavailable.

I promise, I did NOT buy the last one... Actually, I didn't buy one at all :popcorn:

Camp CA
03-31-2020, 12:30 PM
I would like to add this post in response to your thread's title: "forced self isolation".

I just received 128 ounces of 99% isopropyl alcohol and a small container of glycerin (already have hydrogen peroxide) and can produce ~21 eight ounce plastic spray bottles of hand sanitizer after cutting it with boiled water and adding hydrogen peroxide and glycerin, filling the spray bottle then allowing the bottle to quarantine for 72 hours for others that do not have any. Now looking for a simple and cheap spray container filling machine and I can make these all day long.

My wife fabricated 41 masks with elastic, based on a YouTube recipe) over the last 2 days, for covering M95 masts to extend their service life for a local hospital emergency room. She plans to produce more as soon as she can source more elastic. While I was writing this post she just received the required elastic.

Fishsizzle
04-04-2020, 04:57 AM
Going crazy,

Hair Cut is normally every 2-3 weeks. Looking like a Q tip on the sides and Flock of Seagulls front man on top

wiredgeorge
04-04-2020, 05:05 AM
Going crazy,

Hair Cut is normally every 2-3 weeks. Looking like a Q tip on the sides and Flock of Seagulls front man on top

That has to be the most incomprehensible description ever. :whistling:

Fishsizzle
04-04-2020, 05:12 AM
That has to be the most incomprehensible description ever. :whistling:

I don’t have the length on the sides to pull off the “horns”

I keep it really short, so now it’s fuzzy, sticking out. Driving me nuts.

Dave W
04-04-2020, 06:31 AM
I figure my next haircut will be in June, or maybe July with the COVID problem here in NY State. By then I'll be a candidate for a pony tail or man-bun (nahh, that man-bun will NOT happen). Last time my hair was this long was DA time in the early '60s, after my whitewall sides army stint. I have asked my wife to trim the back and sides since she has good Wahl pro clippers for our two poodlepups that need a trim every couple weeks but all she will do is trim the neck. Then there are the Andy Rooney eyebrows - but I can trim them.

Recall the razor combs - still available and inexpensive but wonder about the quality of the trim

flybouy
04-04-2020, 07:00 AM
My FlowBe broke!

travelin texans
04-04-2020, 08:08 AM
My FlowBe broke!

The saddest part is that haircut was probably intentional & he thinks it looks good.

Wow! Am I showing my age!!!!

LHaven
04-04-2020, 09:26 AM
My FlowBe broke!

Should have rebalanced the tires first.

hankpage
04-04-2020, 12:59 PM
My FlowBe broke!

I have been pretty much bald since I was eighteen. When I sent my FloBe in for service they told me it starved to death. :ermm:

Fishsizzle
04-04-2020, 01:05 PM
Well......

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/chia-hair/n9969

LewisB
04-04-2020, 02:02 PM
So, we are only two days into self-isolation and it is really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I have thought very hard about how I can cheer her up. I have even considered letting her in - but rules are rules.

WDPatterson
04-09-2020, 07:41 AM
So, we are only two days into self-isolation and it is really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I have thought very hard about how I can cheer her up. I have even considered letting her in - but rules are rules.

😂🤣😜🤪😁😏😎👍
Safe inside my Fortress of Solitude, I need for nothing else except my beer and my Oscar Mayer Weenie Whistle.

Keystoned
04-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Nice...you might like one of these also.

Camp CA
04-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Saw the same on sailboatowners.com on March 30th. Pretty funny!!

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/self-isolation.1249923381/

CedarCreekWoody
04-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Going crazy,

This reminds me of a friend and her husband that disguised themselves as Q-Tips for a Halloween party. Unfortunately the other guests thought they were disguised as a tampon!

McRod
04-09-2020, 10:50 AM
I have been cutting my own hair ever since I retired from the military. The shock of going from a $3.99 haircut to a $24.99 haircut just put one more thing on my DIY list.

Gumby52
04-09-2020, 12:13 PM
I have been cutting my own hair ever since I retired from the military. The shock of going from a $3.99 haircut to a $24.99 haircut just put one more thing on my DIY list.

Ha! I did the same thing... only when I got out on-base barber shop was $1.75 and civilian shops were $10.00 with a tip.

Sadly it's been years since I've even needed to cut my own :facepalm:

Gary

RK1978
04-09-2020, 12:42 PM
Slimchancepistolero:
You're on my schedule except target time is usually June or whenever long hair gets too hot. Maybe barbers will be open again by then.
PR

wiredgeorge
04-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Buy some hair clippers and let her practice on you. Based on my current estimates, three weeks and it should be grown out again! My clippers came in today. The directions don't seem to apply to the model I bought and were written in Wuhan dialect. There are pictures but these are so small they are not helpful. I think we will just dive into hair cutting tomorrow! I also own a bunch of hats so it matters little how this works out. :D

wiredgeorge
04-09-2020, 03:27 PM

$25??? Good lord... I get my hair cut over at Go's Barber Shop in Hondo and a haircut is $8. I sure look purdy after a fresh haircut.

LHaven
04-09-2020, 03:31 PM
My clippers came in today. The directions don't seem to apply to the model I bought and were written in Wuhan dialect.

I'd be afraid they'd get tangled in my hair and give me rabies.

:hide:

flybouy
04-09-2020, 03:43 PM
Buy some hair clippers and let her practice on you. Based on my current estimates, three weeks and it should be grown out again! My clippers came in today. The directions don't seem to apply to the model I bought and were written in Wuhan dialect. There are pictures but these are so small they are not helpful. I think we will just dive into hair cutting tomorrow! I also own a bunch of hats so it matters little how this works out. :D

Were they used in the "wet market"?

McRod
04-11-2020, 07:48 PM
$25??? Good lord... I get my hair cut over at Go's Barber Shop in Hondo and a haircut is $8. I sure look purdy after a fresh haircut.

Yeah, I was shocked too. The Korean gals at the off post barbers do a message, warm towel, cut and shave. The tip is more than the cut.

firestation12
04-21-2020, 07:39 AM
I’ve been told that the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is 3 weeks.

Keystoned
05-04-2020, 07:03 AM
I hope so...just cut off about 4" down to 3/4". My annual haircut when it starts getting hot. Feels so much better and followed by a BJ!:eek:

What's that you say?:popcorn:

Maybe not what you are thinking...used my compressor to blow away all the tiny hairs from my head, shoulders, arms, etc..:lol:

We don't need no stinkin flowbee :cool:

CedarCreekWoody
05-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Too much info! Lol