PDA

View Full Version : Passport roof truss type

Lstroud
03-30-2020, 02:26 PM
I have 2012 2890 rl . I noticed yesterday when inspecting the a/c unit from inside that my trailer has wood roof truss. It’s advertised on the brochure. That it’s supposed to be galvanized steel roof truss . On the exterior there’s a sticker that says total surround. Aluminum walls , floor, roof. Anyone have any experience with this ?

Thanks

JRTJH
03-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Is the "truss" made of wood or are you seeing the "air conditioning framing" that's made of wood?

Typically, the roof trusses span the trailer from sidewall to sidewall and are made of the "advertised material" and after they are installed, additional framing is added for roof vents, air conditioner installations, TV antenna mounts etc.

You might want to take a look "beyond the immediate framing area" to see what's installed in other locations.

Lstroud
03-30-2020, 03:24 PM
I see 1 truss behind the air conditioner that’s wood . However I took down the bathroom vent since I posted this and the rest are all galvanized . Maybe they use one wood truss to support the A/c?

https://ibb.co/ZTyDm7V
https://ibb.co/hFFqF0k

JRTJH
03-30-2020, 03:45 PM
It's probably not a truss but the A/C framing. Trust me when I say that you really don't want "metal trusses" with a "vibrating air conditioner fan motor" transferring all that noise through the trailer roof. RV air conditioners are noisy enough without adding the sound transfer of metal mounting plates.....

Lstroud
03-30-2020, 03:52 PM
Thanks ! Kind of has my mind at ease now! The whole reason I started to investigate this was because the a/c was kind of slanted backwards. But from what I can read and pictures I see it looks to be normal.

JRTJH
03-30-2020, 04:54 PM
There is a 3/4" mounting gasket between the roof and the top part of the air conditioner. There are 4 long bolts that secure the top part, pulling down on that rubber gasket to seal the roof, preventing water from seeping under the A/C and dripping into the roof structure. I'd guess if the A/C looks "slanted" it's probably from either the front bolts being too loose or the back bolts too loose. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS. They are intended to hold the A/C in position, not "squeeze the gasket to fully flatten it. As long as the top A/C unit doesn't "wiggle" it's secure, leave it alone.