PDA

View Full Version : What's This?

JimSell
03-28-2020, 12:26 PM
Just bought a 2004 Outback. This was included. Does anyone what it is used for? Also need to replace the awning fabric. Found a nice thread on here telling me how to do it but looking for suggestions about the type of awning to buy, suggestions on sellers.

Chris P
03-28-2020, 12:51 PM
Look like a adapter for either for the manual slide or awning if the automatic fails.

Gary R.
03-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Hi there JimSell, and welcome to the forum.

I think Chris hit the nail on the head on that little adapter.

Stay safe and enjoy that Outback!

travelin texans
03-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Look at Tuff Tops (I think is what they were called) & Shade Pro, both are internet sites with awning fabrics.
A friend bought TT while bought from SP, both good quality fabrics, his the seams were heavily stitched, mine were "welded" no stitches. Which is better, who knows.???

Badbart56
03-28-2020, 04:15 PM
I got excellent prices and fast shipping from these folks! I bought two A/C's, slide awnings and my big awning cover from them.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/about-parts-superstore

sourdough
03-28-2020, 04:27 PM
All kinds of fabrics, colors etc. Something to think about it the type of fabric. There are the regular awning fabrics but those will deteriorate over time if left in the sun. The awning on my last trailer had started to deteriorate just on the portion of the roll that was exposed to the sun when retracted. It lives inside when not in use but is out 6 mos. of the year or so. The others are acrylic I believe and are supposed to be much more resistant to deterioration. If your existing awning is compatible, they also make a shield that rolls up to cover the last foot or so (curls around it) when retracted. The cost may be prohibitive though; for my slide topper it went from 15xx to 279x to upgrade the fabric to the acrylic. Told them I could replace the fabric much cheaper in the long run. Just throwing that out in the even you were interested.

Badbart56
03-28-2020, 04:51 PM
All kinds of fabrics, colors etc. Something to think about it the type of fabric. There are the regular awning fabrics but those will deteriorate over time if left in the sun. The awning on my last trailer had started to deteriorate just on the portion of the roll that was exposed to the sun when retracted. It lives inside when not in use but is out 6 mos. of the year or so. The others are acrylic I believe and are supposed to be much more resistant to deterioration. If your existing awning is compatible, they also make a shield that rolls up to cover the last foot or so (curls around it) when retracted. The cost may be prohibitive though; for my slide topper it went from 15xx to 279x to upgrade the fabric to the acrylic. Told them I could replace the fabric much cheaper in the long run. Just throwing that out in the even you were interested.

The OEM awning lasted about ten years and had the issue you're talking about from the sun. I ordered the new one from PPL and IIRC paid $199 for it. I had my RV tech (the one that makes house calls) put it on. It took him all of ten minutes. I don't remember what he charged, I had him do something else while he was there. Mine stays in the sun year round so we'll see how long this one last. Three years so far and all is well.

LHaven
03-28-2020, 05:59 PM
Just bought a 2004 Outback. This was included. Does anyone what it is used for?

Clearly an adapter of some sort, but I'd need to see the ends to guess further.

chuckster57
03-29-2020, 07:09 AM
If you have the LCI electric stab jacks, they have a slotted end for the over ride. That might be the adapter to allow you use use a 3/4" socket.