PDA

View Full Version : Small outboard motor mount

MrRobalo
03-26-2020, 03:43 PM
Newbie to camping but have been in marine industry most my working years. After 45 years of going south on vacations the admiral said it’s retirement time and we are going north. We bought a Bullet 220RBI and will be staying local around Fl for the first year or so. Well I just happen to find :whistling::whistling: a 10’ Avon Inflatable boat with a lil Merc 9.9 to carry along with us. :fishing: now I need to know if anyone mounted a small outboard on there trailer? I’ve mounted a carrier with box on the back bumper with the all the differ hoses, grill, levelers and spare tire. There’s no room to mount the motor there without obstructing brake lights so I was thinking about the front A frame. Any ideas or cautions on it. The actual boat rolls up and and the wood floor go in bags that I will carry in the Durango. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Ken / Claudia
03-26-2020, 03:58 PM
They are popular items for thieves. So, figure out a really good locking system and cover it so they do not know what it is if possible. Record the serial number and have it handy for a theft report.

sourdough
03-26-2020, 04:14 PM
You might expound on what all you are attaching to that bumper - they are about as strong as cardboard so be very careful with any weight attached to it.

5J's
03-26-2020, 04:47 PM
Did I understand that you are pulling all this with a Durango? If so you may want to brush up on the capacities and capabilities. Those things aren't much more than grocery getters.

MrRobalo
03-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Durango. Not to be a smart a$$ but this one is a 2012 Durango R/T with the 5.7. It has a factory tow package which includes oversized radiator, transmission , alternator, brakes , 20” wheels and the factor hitch. My son is a dealer and took him over 3 months to locate it. With the package factory specs shows 7400 lb towing capacity and I teamed it up with a Equal-I-Zer Hitch 1000 Lb tongue weight. Got it to tow my boats and wanted it rather than a pick-up so I could carry my rods inside to be safe when we stopped to eat nsuch. I’ve only pulled it a few 100 miles but so far so good with no swaying.

5J's
03-26-2020, 06:45 PM
Glad you were able to find what you wanted but, a word of caution disregard any tow ratings given and use the payloads when checking the weights. This is often where you will find you are over weight. I just want to be sure you're fully aware and completely informed if your set up. I can't make those calls or see what your capacities and ratings are. Enjoy your rig and stay safe!

sourdough
03-26-2020, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Durango. Not to be a smart a$$ but this one is a 2012 Durango R/T with the 5.7. It has a factory tow package which includes oversized radiator, transmission , alternator, brakes , 20” wheels and the factor hitch. My son is a dealer and took him over 3 months to locate it. With the package factory specs shows 7400 lb towing capacity and I teamed it up with a Equal-I-Zer Hitch 1000 Lb tongue weight. Got it to tow my boats and wanted it rather than a pick-up so I could carry my rods inside to be safe when we stopped to eat nsuch. I’ve only pulled it a few 100 miles but so far so good with no swaying.

I would encourage you to look a little further into the numbers. Your Durango is basically a mid size, grocery getter, SUV. Look at the stickers inside the driver door; what is the payload? gvw? gawr?

Your trailer is 26' long with a gvw of 6400 lbs. and possible tongue weight of 830lbs. plus. Realize that towing an RV that long, with nothing but tall slab walls to catch wind is absolutely nothing like towing a boat...nothing.

I can assure you, unless you do some really heavy mods to that Durango that trailer (tail) will wag the dog. The only Durango I owned was a 2004, much larger than the current models. I would not have pulled that trailer with it; and it too had the 5.7 and towing package - too much trailer for the vehicle...that was never meant to tow a larger trailer...no matter how my ponies the engine kicks out. Look into those numbers. Can't protect the fishing gear with a pickup? I disagree. Get you a bed topper. Far more room and just as much security....won't leave home without it! :D

notanlines
03-27-2020, 10:10 AM
I also agree with the above posters. Too much RV, not enough TV. And put the 9.9 inside the TV or the RV in a containment bag invented by you. Run it dry when you’re done with it first. Give us a chance here before you do anything. Post the yellow sticker and we can all talk about it. Only a few here bite...

gearhead
03-27-2020, 10:54 AM
The "bag it and carry it" in the Durango is a good idea.
But I would do some research on which is the best side to lay it down on. Some motors it doesn't matter, some it does. I have assumed it was because fluids might leak out, particularly a 4 stroke.

sourdough
03-27-2020, 11:11 AM
The "bag it and carry it" in the Durango is a good idea.
But I would do some research on which is the best side to lay it down on. Some motors it doesn't matter, some it does. I have assumed it was because fluids might leak out, particularly a 4 stroke.

^^^^ This. We had a very old Johnson 10 hp that was passed down to me. As far as bags, it had its own heavy duty vinyl, zipped, Johnson storage bag. As far as laying it down....we stored it upright. However you laid it down it leaked something, and it was a 2 stroke! So, keep those things in mind if storing it prone becomes a reality.

MrRobalo
03-27-2020, 02:54 PM
Well you all have giving me a lot of food for thought on the Durango. I did look on the door jam and it was 7100 gvw . Being new in travel trailer way of life we plan to stay in Fl.for the first year and living in Centeral Fl most all of our trips are under a 150 miles. And to top it off the Coronavirus had caused 4 cancellations so far. If we were to go out of state and mountains I’d borrow my sons Dually. And yes trailers are definitely different than most boats but the majority of my Towing was with a fully Tournament rigged tower boats and one has to be very careful with them too. Once we see how we like the trailer life we will make a decision on a different TV and maybe trailer/motor home .
As far as the outboard it’s a 2 stroke and the owner was a yacht delivery captain and took it with him just Incase.he needed it. He said had it in a canvas bag like the boat but age got to
it. I do think I’ll make a large vinyl bag to slide it in and put in truck . If we aren’t going to be on the coast for a week I’ll just bring the boat and paddle it or put my trolling motor on it. One of the main reasons to get it was to get over to our cabin on a island and leave the big boat there on the lift and not to trailer it down every time as its in storage when we are home so it will all work out . Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

flybouy
03-27-2020, 03:02 PM
That 7100 gvw is meaningless without knowing what the SUV weighs loaded up to go camping including your passengers, fishing gear, outboard motor or trolling motor and battery, your hitch, etc., etc. Then what's left is your weight available for the tongue of the trailer.

My guess is you have little, or nothing left in payload before you even look in the mirror to back up to hitch. BTHT

Ken / Claudia
03-27-2020, 06:42 PM
My 2002 trail blazer is no Durango, but I did weigh it. GVWR is 6600, it scaled in full of fuel and me at 5500 lbs. My wife, dog, me and add a cooler for a pick nic takes almost half of the available payload.

Camp CA
03-28-2020, 07:05 AM
Consider selling the Merc outboard and purchase a Torqeedo 1003 short shaft electric motor. That is what I did for my sailboat dinghy. The control handle and battery can be removed for easy stowage, mitigates gasoline / lube oil leakage risk AND you do not have to carry a gasoline can.

dkonrai
05-17-2020, 11:02 AM
That motor is about 77 pounds I believe? Will the Avon be in the Durango too? Add tongue weight of trailer?