PDA

View Full Version : adding an AC unit to a 2013 Sprinter 297RET

jimnnee95
03-24-2020, 05:31 PM
Hey ya'll had a question. So we relocated to North Texas from Indiana. This summer our 13,500 BTU AC unit struggled to keep up with the heat. I figure its a waste to upgrade to a 15,000 BTU unit and want to just add a second AC unit. How do I know if my camper is capable of a second unit? I'm wondering because its a 30 AMP setup that I wont be able too.

DocP
03-24-2020, 05:36 PM
Hey ya'll had a question. So we relocated to North Texas from Indiana. This summer our 13,500 BTU AC unit struggled to keep up with the heat. I figure its a waste to upgrade to a 15,000 BTU unit and want to just add a second AC unit. How do I know if my camper is capable of a second unit? I'm wondering because its a 30 AMP setup that I wont be able too.

I see at least 2 issues:
1. Your 30 AMP service won't be able to handle the load of 2 AC's. I do know that some folks have installed a 2nd AC and run a separate electrical line to the campground pedestal to power it.
2. It's not just a case of removing a roof vent and putting a 2nd AC over it. You have to have sufficient bracing to support the weight. Given that you have 30 AMP service, I'd be surprised if your camper came from the factory with the bracing. I'm not an expert in this, so I cannot speak to whether or not this is feasible or advisable. Hopefully others will chime in.

sourdough
03-24-2020, 06:00 PM
I agree with Doc. If you didn't come with at least 50A as an option I doubt that rear vent is braced for an AC. Your electrical service definitely won't be up to the task of running 2 ACs in tandem.

As far as electrical, as Doc alluded to, some run a separate 120vac line to run the 2nd ac. As far as adding bracing for it hopefully someone has done that and can expound on what that involves. Good luck. If you've moved to TX, you didn't say where (N TX to most is DFW and N) it can get darn hot...and humid depending on where you are. One AC would not, and does not, work for us. Good luck.

jimnnee95
03-24-2020, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys it's exactly what I thought but just wanted to be sure. Yea we are North DFW so nice and hot for sure! Guess it might be time to upgrade the camper!

chuckster57
03-24-2020, 06:26 PM
I upgraded my 13.5 to a 15K and it made a decent difference.

sourdough
03-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys it's exactly what I thought but just wanted to be sure. Yea we are North DFW so nice and hot for sure! Guess it might be time to upgrade the camper!

If you are able you might look into the upgrade. Newer trailers are coming with all sorts of nice features depending on what you want. If you are going to be in N TX for an extended time I would definitely want 50A and 2 ACs. Remember; using a 30A trailer gives you a total of 30A to run everything in the unit limiting what you can run and when. A 50A trailer, while sounding like a minimal increase, is actually a 100A service that gives you light years more options on running electrical items. Good luck - my son lives in DFW and my daughter used to (before FL). Spent much time there. Temps not so bad but the humidity, to us, got pretty tough.

flybouy
03-24-2020, 08:25 PM
When we bought ours the 15k btu unit was an option that we chose, thankfully. While 1,500k increase doesn't sound like much it is a 9% increase. We don't have any issue keeping cool in 90+ deg heat but I wouldn't want to take it to Dallas in mid summer.

CedarCreekWoody
03-25-2020, 06:29 AM
We had a single 15k unit in that area and it was not enough in the summer. Mid 80s was the best could achieve in the summer. You are right, an upgrade from 13.5 to 15 will have little affect.