PDA

View Full Version : Traveling During Pandemic

Schbobby
03-23-2020, 02:08 AM
I am planning a two week trip between MA and GA and was wondering how this pandemic is affecting travel. Bringing my camper to a work site due to a lot of cancellations on flights. Wanted my own shelter due to Hotels in my area starting to close.
Have states that have isolation edicts and was wondering how travel on the road has been!

wiredgeorge
03-23-2020, 03:06 AM
This pandemic situation has changed and the situation is evolving. Different states have enacted travel restrictions but as important, local governments such as county have also jumped into the mix. We took a week and decided to go to Big Bend and stay in Terlingua (outside the park) and Brewster County closed all lodging included RV parks while we were there. We ended up in Del Rio at a park for the duration. Diesel wasn't a problem and there wasn't much of a rush at gas lines but all restaurants are closed so be prepared with sandwiches and call ahead to determine if you can find a place to camp at night. I went into the Del Rio Walmart yesterday and it was a zoo. No bottled water or paper products at all and many shelves were bare. It was disappointing to see my fellow Texans act like idiots when their water supply is delivered by a municipality and there is no good reason paper products should suddenly be so popular. Oddly, the Easter candy shelves were fully stocked. Hopefully the panic buying won't affect your trip down south but be prepared with additional food and other supplies as it may be happening all over.

GHen
03-23-2020, 07:25 AM
Also note that many state and private campgrounds have closed to overnight camping (which I don’t understand why).

sourdough
03-23-2020, 07:44 AM
Do as much research as you can before departing and take along everything you need to be self sufficient.

As far as travel, it may be "strange"? Talked to my son Saturday. He lives outside the Dallas area on a little lake. They had previously been told not to come to work until further notice; Saturday he said his boss called and said "to heck with it - come to work". Talked to DW this morning and said he can't go because you have to have a permit to drive anywhere and they were stopping folks and issuing large fines? He told her the local municipality had issued orders for everyone to stay inside and would fine you if you were in your yard. Now this is 2nd hand thru DW but if that is the case some places are going wacko - so, do your due diligence.

On a brighter note; if you do make the trip and need groceries, our local grocery store began a "seniors hour" this week. From 6-7am it's seniors only and it is right after they have stocked from the truck delivery. So this morning I found most of the items I had been looking for all week!! Yeah!! Keep that in mind as you travel and keep your eye out. I also saw in yesterdays paper that Dollar General is limiting the 1st hour of business each day to seniors so that might come in handy for you as well.

Hblick48
03-23-2020, 07:51 AM
Had plans to go to SF RV Park for a week starting 4/3. After stay at home order, we decided to cancel trip. Didn't want to get stuck in case things get worse and all travel is restricted. Also, if one of us get sick, prefer to be at home .

GHen
03-23-2020, 07:54 AM
I agree, my biggest concern would be if one of us would get sick, how far would we be from a major hospital. I don’t think I want to get stuck in a small clinic with pneumonia.

Aireman
03-23-2020, 09:02 AM
Traveled from Bullhead Az to Carson City Nv with no problems except one. While many fast food places are open, it’s drive thru ONLY! Kinda hard with the rig hooked up. Much easier to just find a rest stop and open the slides.

linux3
03-23-2020, 12:50 PM
Just came back from FL.
Most Rest Stops in PA are closed. Not just closed, barriers across the entrances. Plan well.
Most private CG's are closed. Many state parks and all National are too.
Food is a problem. Bring your own.
On the good side gas was $1.75 in VA and WV.

Tooth Ferry
03-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Many Natl Park campgrounds, trails, roads, rest rooms, are open. Great Smoky NP has all these open but visitor centers and stores are closed. Some COE campgrounds are closed but maybe not all. Some NFS campgrounds, restrooms,trails and roads if not open now will be in the next couple of weeks at their regular seasonal opening dates.

Roscommon48
03-23-2020, 02:27 PM
You'll be able to travel at this point but just plan on many things being closed.

gearhead
03-23-2020, 02:46 PM
Texas state parks are open. Most historical sites are not.

Twisties
03-23-2020, 03:38 PM
RV parks are being closed left and right with minimal notice and non-residents are being ordered out of areas as well. State and Federal Parks are closing wholesale.

We found that traveling put us at increased exposure for frequent stops. We've holed up in a park in CO with a long-term reservation and are hoping we don't get kicked out. Travelers are evoking rage in some tourist areas. My home area on the Oregon coast erupted this weekend after an influx of tourists. Scary rage. I don't feel I can go home.

JRTJH
03-23-2020, 03:52 PM
Full timing in an RV can become very VERY inconvenient if "tourist focused local governments" lose sight of what they are doing to "protect" or "manage" their resident population....

Imagine the public outcries and rebellion if some "city government" or "county government" suddenly announced that all "renters would be evicted from houses and apartments".... That's essentially what they are doing when they "announce a closure of all RV campgrounds".....

sourdough
03-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Referencing my previous post, my DS did confirm that they were told they could not go outside and that their little municipality was being "patrolled" looking for violators - that's just wrong. With the hysteria being generated by the media, not facts, some locations/cities/counties/states are going off the deep end doing things that don't make sense, aren't effective but are truly disrupting peoples lives and commerce - without any idea of what they are doing because no one knows.

Read/heard some good news IMO. "The cure can't be worse than the problem"....think about that. We are destroying businesses, lives, savings accounts (mine is down a LOT) and everything else out of fear - just fear, nothing else. At least that statement, and the fact that the President appears to understand the situation at hand and will hopefully get a handle on a manageable situation that has run amok should make one feel a little better.

If we continue down the current course unchecked, the out of control press, and those that want this country to fail, will.....destroy the economy - you cannot just shut down businesses and let employees go home unpaid forever. Oh, and the government can't just "give" trillions to all of those out of work folks, closed businesses etc. One thing many of our friends in government forget is that....they don't have any money! It comes from those MAKING money - when businesses close and people don't work...there is NO money for them to give away.

I've pondered this for quite some time. At what point do we, as self directed humans, decide that we want to "kill" our lives out of fear. What are we willing to sacrifice because we are "afraid"? Everything you own...as is happening right now? Your future? Any possibility of living a normal life? If this continues do you want to "live on the streets" with the other 300M folks that met the same fate? Put your family through unmentionable pain, grief and deprivation to....what exactly? Not be afraid? I think many/most that are driving this are ones that have never faced death, never had to make a life/death decision....coddled.

I've lived and had a wonderful, blessed life. My DW means the entire world to me along with my kids. A prolonged period of what is going on now will totally destroy their lives going forward. Miserable, nothing - all savings lost, can't pay bills, groveling for food or shelter. Will I take my chance with this thing vs that outcome? All day, everyday. Are they on the same page? Absolutely. The chances of getting this virus and dying are slim. The chances that your life will be destroyed if we don't change our direction and inject common sense is assured. JMO/YMMV and I'm sure it does....and yes, I worry about it but I'm not going to put one of my weapons to my head and end my life because I'm scared of "it" - which is exactly what we are doing by killing the entire economy of the country. :banghead: :hide: :flowers: :popcorn:

chuckster57
03-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Partner at work, his wife works at a big box hardware store. They issued permits, my employer hasn’t. But there hasn’t been any noticeable enforcement. I will say the drive to/from work has been a LOT lighter.

JRTJH
03-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Danny

I think you're "spot on" with your thinking...

The way I see it is this:

There are people who have never faced any "uncertainty about tomorrow"... When given a choice of "feast or famine" they will always choose "feast"... Then they turn to "someone else" and say, "OK, I made my choice, now you make it happen"... They made the choice with no thought about "how to achieve the choice" just "this is what I want"....

It's much the same with "social distance/isolation/stay home to be safe"... OK, we (they) made the choice, now "who is going to provide the means to make their choice a reality" ???? Few have the financial means to live for months on end without income (a job) and if the past week is any indication, depending on Congress to "figure it out for us" is about as likely as me flying to the moon on tomorrow's "jersey cow"...

When the President said today, "We can't have the cure become worse than the disease" what he was saying (IMHO) was that we have to face the reality that we can't "destroy our country" in order to work toward complete safety"... We don't even know if "complete safety is even a remote possibility"....

Some are "worried about the stock market" (I am too BTW) But the reality is that we've had from 2016 to present to "build a cushion" in the market. In 2016 the market was at 15,000. Last week the market was at 30,000. We've lost 12,000 in this past 10 days... The "cushion" is gone. THANK GOD WE HAD IT... Otherwise, if the market had been at 16000 or 17000 and we lost 12,000, we'd also have lost our country's entire capacity to recover, and we would, right now, be in the "great depression", the likes of which would be much worse than it was in 1929.....

While it's "going to be uncomfortable for a while" I expect that when we "recover from this temporary insanity" and get back to the business of being Americans, we'll start recovering not only our sanity, but also our economy, our industry and our self-confidence.

It's been said, "When any free society trades its freedom for the assurance of safety, that freedom is forever gone as is any guarantee of safety provided by the government that took that freedom for a promise they could never keep"...… I'm afraid too many are looking for a promise no government can keep and are wagering their freedom and their fortune on a wishful hope.

Schbobby
03-24-2020, 02:37 AM
I can see this getting worst than the Great Depression, many people are out of work trying to collect unemployment. I don’t see many of these closed business coming out of this unscathed. Travel seems a bit risky by a lot of these reply’s.

wiredgeorge
03-24-2020, 02:46 AM
Lt. Gov. Patrick was on Fox News yesterday and said essentially that we shouldn't destroy our way of life hiding from a virus. He said Texas had to strike a balance. The Prez said he throught that Congress was close to passing a relief bill but things like environmental and pro-choice pork were being tacked on that were not acceptable given the pandemic situation and I suspect mounting pressure will cause those non-pandemic agenda driven items to eventually get sidelined for now. Without some relief, the folks who are unemployed are going to start hurting fast. I am my church's web guy and I posted links to the Texas Workforce Commission link to filing for unemployment insurance. Unfortunately, TWC site has been flooded and is down a lot. There is also a phone number but I suspect it won't get answered much. Folks need to exhibit calm and have some patience.

Pull Toy
03-24-2020, 03:09 AM
Not to be alarmist, just realistic. The possibility exists that you may be legally forced off of the road in any state, at any moment. You should plan on being totally self sufficient for at least two weeks.

Unless I absolutely had to make the trip, I'd rather be "STUCK" right here at home. Just my two cents.

Good Luck,

gearhead
03-24-2020, 04:51 AM
The scary part to me is that the public is accepting the government edicts that limit their movements in public. Until martial law is declared I don't see how any government subdivision can tell me to stay home.
Now a political faction is holding up legislation actions to help those in financial distress to add money to further their political agenda. I think most of us assume that a fair percentage of the forthcoming aid will be misdirected and will miss some who need it, but to load up a bill with politically inspired "helicopter money" is disgusting.
I've lost money like many others but it will come back. But I will not trade my freedom for a government handout.

notanlines
03-24-2020, 04:56 AM
George, I read online the CNN version of what your L-Gov had to say. Then I actually read verbatim what he said and , well, CNN and I didn't hear the same statement. Imagine that.
I liked your post, by the way. A number of members have had some sensible posts lately (we wouldn't expect less) and I have failed to state my approval.

gearhead
03-24-2020, 05:17 AM
Partner at work, his wife works at a big box hardware store. They issued permits, my employer hasn’t. But there hasn’t been any noticeable enforcement. I will say the drive to/from work has been a LOT lighter.
A permit? What kind of permit?

chuckster57
03-24-2020, 06:26 AM
From what I gather it’s like a “note from the boss”. Nothing is being enforced at the moment out here but you never know. Our Governor just closed all parking lots at state parks and beaches.

rhagfo
03-24-2020, 08:11 AM
From what I gather it’s like a “note from the boss”. Nothing is being enforced at the moment out here but you never know. Our Governor just closed all parking lots at state parks and beaches.
While that seems extreme people are just not getting the concept of staying away from others. Last weekend Oregon and Washington saw crazy numbers of people traveling to the coast, sound, or gorge making social distancing impossible.
This made Oregon move up parks closing two weeks and closed all parks yesterday 3/23. Washington did the same. The hard part in Oregon is devotion to the parks most State parks don’t have gates! It will be interesting to see how well barricades work on the day use parks on the coast.

sourdough
03-24-2020, 08:54 AM

This is what my son said that lives outside Dallas. When his boss told him he could come to work Monday they did not know that he could not drive into Dallas without a "note" from his boss telling him he needed to come to work. And the knee jerk reactions continue.....

travelin texans
03-24-2020, 09:03 AM
I've said from the beginning unless its absolutely forced upon us the American people can't put up with this much longer, we'll all be unemployed, broke & no place to spend money if we had any.
Is this virus deadly? Apparently! Some that have unfortunately died may have done so from the common cold???
Is it any worse than any other ever to be around? Statistics suggest not!
Should I or anyone else be concerned with it? Yes!
Should the entire world run scared & hide til it ends? Hell no!
It's about time to end this BS, use some common sense (apparently that's not available much anymore) & get back to normal, such as normal may be after this.
Let's just turn off ALL the fake news about "the virus" & stop them from making money off it just like the rest of us.
Let them get back reporting crap about politicians that we know is ALL BS!
After 9-11 this country seemed to bond together making us stronger, now we have a new term, SOCIAL DISTANCING, talk about a 180 degree turn, now making us wimps.

gearhead
03-24-2020, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=rhagfo;382976]While that seems extreme people are just not getting the concept of staying away from others. Last weekend Oregon and Washington saw crazy numbers of people traveling to the coast, sound, or gorge making social distancing impossible.
This made Oregon move up parks closing two weeks and closed all parks yesterday 3/23. Washington did the same. The hard part in Oregon is devotion to the parks most State parks don’t have gates! It will be interesting to see how well barricades work on the day use parks on the coast.[/QUOTE

Huh? They can't stay 6ft apart travelling down the highway on the way to the park?
Then when they get there they can't stay 6ft apart?
What am I missing?

gearhead
03-24-2020, 09:26 AM
I've said from the beginning unless its absolutely forced upon us the American people can't put up with this much longer, we'll all be unemployed, broke & no place to spend money if we had any.
Is this virus deadly? Apparently! Some that have unfortunately died may have done so from the common cold???
Is it any worse than any other ever to be around? Statistics suggest not!
Should I or anyone else be concerned with it? Yes!
Should the entire world run scared & hide til it ends? Hell no!
It's about time to end this BS, use some common sense (apparently that's not available much anymore) & get back to normal, such as normal may be after this.
Let's just turn off ALL the fake news about "the virus" & stop them from making money off it just like the rest of us.
Let them get back reporting crap about politicians that we know is ALL BS!
After 9-11 this country seemed to bond together making us stronger, now we have a new term, SOCIAL DISTANCING, talk about a 180 degree turn, now making us wimps.

X2 brother.

Silverado19
03-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Missouri has just announced that State Park run campgrounds will be closed from March 27 until April 30.
If you have a reservation you can get a refund by calling 1-877-22-6766 between 7am - 7pm.

https://dnr.mo.gov/news/newsitem/uuid/c699a363-3e57-4d08-8e73-1171687fcb86

gearhead
03-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Somebody in Washington said we need to get back to work.
Dow is up 1600+.

sourdough
03-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Somebody in Washington said we need to get back to work.
Dow is up 1600+.

Finally, a voice of common sense and reason.

gearhead
03-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Harris County (Houston) Judge Lina Hidalgo was on TV yesterday talking about staying at home. Dallas sounds like they have done the same. I ain't paying no attention to it. I live in an adjoining county (Liberty) and our County Judge knows better. I hope.
I'm about to the point of saying if you don't have enough sense to clean your hands and stay 6ft away from everyone, you deserve to get sick.
Is that Darwin theory thing still valid?

Smangerer
03-24-2020, 10:26 AM
The problem that everyone world wide is trying to avoid is a maxed out health care system. There are simply not enough local beds to care for all the potential sick people in their own communities in addition to travelers who decided that they don't care. If we all assume that the chances of getting it are low so go on as usual; thats when we will reach those crazy high numbers that we don't want to believe.

You can be contagious for 2 weeks without showing any symptoms... and so could that person standing next to you or the person that opened that door you just touched 2 hours before you opened it.

Do us all a favor and just keep the door closed.

thank You

mfifield01
03-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Harris County (Houston) Judge Lina Hidalgo was on TV yesterday talking about staying at home. Dallas sounds like they have done the same. I ain't paying no attention to it. I live in an adjoining county (Liberty) and our County Judge knows better. I hope.
I'm about to the point of saying if you don't have enough sense to clean your hands and stay 6ft away from everyone, you deserve to get sick.
Is that Darwin theory thing still valid? Stay at home just happened in the Austin area (Travis and Williamson counties). I live outside of Austin, but in Travis County. One city (Pflugerville) closed down parks, playgrounds, pavilions, etc. Staying inside for weeks/months is not a good answer. In China, the domestic disturbance cases went up.

Pull Toy
03-24-2020, 11:03 AM
I am a telecommunications worker. Part of my job involves keeping 911 services up and available, as well as Internet &, ATM services, and telephone services to the public. Up until about twenty five years ago, our ID Cards actually had the Civil Defense Logo on them. Anyone remember those?

The federal government feels that our work is vital part of the critical cyber infrastructure. We have been issued documents from Homeland Security in case of closures, authorizing use of roads and highways, and permits to purchase fuel in the event of a lockdown. This letter has an expiration date of 5/28/2020, so we're not looking at a long range issue here.

My granddaughter, on the other hand, works in an assisted living facility. Her "pass" is a notarized letter from her employer stating that she is a staff member who is needed at work.

If we reach the stage of a real "total" shut down, I feel we have no one to blame but ourselves. "Social Distancing" and "6 feet apart" has been a mantra for several weeks now, and yet we still see pic's from Spring Break with young people elbow to elbow partying away on a daily basis.

A little self control, for a limited amount of time is not all that unreasonable to save G-D knows how many lives. I understand everyone's frustration, but with a little patience, we will come out of this.

Stay Strong!

sourdough
03-24-2020, 12:39 PM
I am a telecommunications worker. Part of my job involves keeping 911 services up and available, as well as Internet &, ATM services, and telephone services to the public. Up until about twenty five years ago, our ID Cards actually had the Civil Defense Logo on them. Anyone remember those?

The federal government feels that our work is vital part of the critical cyber infrastructure. We have been issued documents from Homeland Security in case of closures, authorizing use of roads and highways, and permits to purchase fuel in the event of a lockdown. This letter has an expiration date of 5/28/2020, so we're not looking at a long range issue here.

My granddaughter, on the other hand, works in an assisted living facility. Her "pass" is a notarized letter from her employer stating that she is a staff member who is needed at work.

If we reach the stage of a real "total" shut down, I feel we have no one to blame but ourselves. "Social Distancing" and "6 feet apart" has been a mantra for several weeks now, and yet we still see pic's from Spring Break with young people elbow to elbow partying away on a daily basis.

A little self control, for a limited amount of time is not all that unreasonable to save G-D knows how many lives. I understand everyone's frustration, but with a little patience, we will come out of this.

Stay Strong!

I don't know that I need to "come out of this" if I have lost everything I have with no way to recoup prior to my "normal" (living in squalor) death. There is a limit to what needs to be done to contain this; a balance has to be struck with reality vs everyone's perceived fear of the unknown boogeyman - take reasonable precautions but the drastic shutdowns we are seeing have to end very soon or there will be irreversible damage. Why would one take their life, or someone else's, because they saw a coiled rattlesnake at their feet? Out of fear? Knee jerk. We have grown far too soft in the past few decades; afraid of our own shadow's. There are no guarantees in life but one - you WILL die. How and when you won't get to choose unless you commit suicide; and no, going outside, getting gas, getting groceries, etc. isn't going to kill you or anyone else. If for some reason it did.....it was time. Sorry but life just ain't fair.

Took a little survey on MSN earlier today and one of the questions was would you rather try to be safe (stay at home/close down businesses, industries etc.) even if it meant the economic collapse of the country or would you prefer to go back to work in a reasonable time even if the virus wasn't gone to keep the country economically viable (paraphrased from memory). Shockingly the majority taking that survey, on MSN, would prefer to let the country collapse if they didn't have to work - and "be safe"...…. Sad statement on those that took the survey and the general status of the normal "American" - far removed from what it would have been in 1950.

I figure those that would prefer to hide and let the country collapse aren't capable of understanding what that means to them and everyone else. It's just an easy "way out" in a stressful situation....and they have no idea how they would cope with the aftermath that would follow....oh wait! Tell the government to do something....send some money....of which there will be none (government or money). As always JMO/YMMV as I'm sure it does.

sourdough
03-24-2020, 12:47 PM
I failed to mention some things in my previous post;

DS advised today as I was typing the prior post of a few things happening to him and in the area he is in (outside Dallas);

He said he received notices today on 1 of his credit cards and 2 of his gas cards that the available amounts had been reduced for an unknown period. I've not seen that.

He also said that they had been told to stay wary and aware. That those out of work were beginning to "need" things and had no way to get them other than possible illegal means so take precautions and be prepared. Just more collateral damage from ill advised actions. IMO :)

notanlines
03-24-2020, 01:40 PM
I have no idea why anyone in this day and age would need a gas company card with every station taking virtually all cards, but the first threat I got from a gas company to lower my limit would put that limit at zero immediately. Regretfully we have a Pilot/Flying J card so I don't have to go inside if we stop there, and that thing is irritating enough.

flybouy
03-24-2020, 02:17 PM
To the OP's question: one consideration is your health care plan. Does it cover out of state hospitalization ? Not all of them do (especially supplemental).

Now my general thoughts/concerns. I like to read a lot about history and try to learn from it.

The economic "Outcome" is being compared to the great depression. The stock market "crash of 1929", 80% of the US population were in agriculture, they grew their own food and traded for goods like coffee,sugar, shoes, etc. That generation grew up to be "the greatest generation of all time" because they learned humility, teamwork, hard work for survival, and how to think for themselves. I think you would be hard pressed to find those qualities today. The only saving grace of that depression was the Second World War.

No government has ever "spent" their way out of a deep economic turmoil. Europe tried it after WWI by printing more money which devalued their money and caused run away inflation. In Germany and Italy people would literally take a wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread. So how will all of these benevolent politicians pay off this debt? Print money? Borrow more money from China? Raise taxes to crazy new levels?

Politicians will politic, expect no less. They will promise and under deliver, no change. They will sell their children's souls to get re-elected, so no change there.

Calling out the National Guard...constitutionally only the governor of a state can do that by declaring a state of emergency. I had to laugh when the governor of NY, Cumo, sent them to Westchester, NY to hand out food. Westchester is one of the most affluent NYC suburbs. The hired help in those multi million dollars aren't going to eat that. Pictures of the NG standing around tables full of bags with no takers were evidenced on the news. Yes the NG, where deployed, are doing work but I think they were pre-deployed so that if domestic unrest happened they would be in place. If congress continues to delay and folks start to go hungry then I fear they will be needed. Historically when the populous goes hungry the crowds March the King and Queen to the guillotine. When tax burdens a government's overreach revolution can result.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, and I pray the great strength and economic strength of this country and it's government can figure this out with minimal damage. Thankfully this happened at a time when our economy was far stronger than anywhere else in the world. If this country "plays it smart" I think we'll come out of this far ahead but if we don't learn lessons, identify the weaknesses (like heavily relying on overseas products) and correcting them history will repeat, it always does.
JMHO

sourdough
03-24-2020, 02:23 PM
I have no idea why anyone in this day and age would need a gas company card with every station taking virtually all cards, but the first threat I got from a gas company to lower my limit would put that limit at zero immediately. Regretfully we have a Pilot/Flying J card so I don't have to go inside if we stop there, and that thing is irritating enough.

I expressed the same thought - his company supplies them and he is supposed to use them was the explanation.

notanlines
03-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Guess what? That may be the best answer around!

Northofu1
03-24-2020, 03:22 PM
I watched the 2011 Matt Damon movie Contagion last night, it is a commentary to what is happening now. These are the similarities.
1) The term Social distancing
2) It is labelled a Novel virus
3) It originates in China
4) It is borne from swine and fowl

I have 4 millenials of my own, they are good kids, rooted, caring, they know what to do in most situations. Most of the info I am getting about the virus comes from my second daughter at Carleton University in Ottawa where she is earning her phd in biology.
I'm afraid there is no kind or moral way to cull the herd. I've just about gotten over the virus, but I have a very good immune system, for now.

sourdough
03-24-2020, 07:39 PM
I've been on other forums this evening; some RV related and some not. Some folks are level headed and some are "destroy the country and those in it because I'm scared" with no concept of the consequences of what they propose. Some say that those that have worked all their lives to save something now "need to pay" for those that live paycheck to paycheck...I'll leave my thoughts on that to myself. :D

This virus, to some, is the "black plague", the end of the world, now way to stop it and we are all going to die unless we go into hiding, quit our jobs and let the country grind to a stop...regardless that we then all have to start from scratch (I have truly began to believe that anyone under 40 has no clue how the world/economics work...in real life)....think 1700 and creating "your" world - "taking" what you need from the weaker - or not being able to. Not gonna be pretty and far worse than letting the disease take its course. For thought, here is a link to what "coronavirus"...."the end of the world" is like vs the flu. Remember, the stats for the flu have been posted and they are SO far worse than this current "pandemic". Take it for what it is; man up; hide; crawl in a hole and hope; blame anything and everything....it is what it is....and it's not the grim reaper. As has been said in many publications; it is a weak virus, we've just never seen it. We will kill it; the world won't end unless we do it to ourselves... Note that the observations are that the "accelerations" in growth are due to situational (read - your country, your medical abilities etc.) not mutations like the regular flu -which from what I've researched is far more dangerous- we just don't know what covid 19 IS but it will be controlled shortly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/scientists-say-the-coronavirus-is-not-mutating-quickly-and-might-respond-to-a-single-vaccine/ar-BB11EJmL?ocid=spartanntp

k94x4
03-29-2020, 07:45 AM
Referencing my previous post, my DS did confirm that they were told they could not go outside and that their little municipality was being "patrolled" looking for violators - that's just wrong. With the hysteria being generated by the media, not facts, some locations/cities/counties/states are going off the deep end doing things that don't make sense, aren't effective but are truly disrupting peoples lives and commerce - without any idea of what they are doing because no one knows.

Read/heard some good news IMO. "The cure can't be worse than the problem"....think about that. We are destroying businesses, lives, savings accounts (mine is down a LOT) and everything else out of fear - just fear, nothing else. At least that statement, and the fact that the President appears to understand the situation at hand and will hopefully get a handle on a manageable situation that has run amok should make one feel a little better.

If we continue down the current course unchecked, the out of control press, and those that want this country to fail, will.....destroy the economy - you cannot just shut down businesses and let employees go home unpaid forever. Oh, and the government can't just "give" trillions to all of those out of work folks, closed businesses etc. One thing many of our friends in government forget is that....they don't have any money! It comes from those MAKING money - when businesses close and people don't work...there is NO money for them to give away.

I've pondered this for quite some time. At what point do we, as self directed humans, decide that we want to "kill" our lives out of fear. What are we willing to sacrifice because we are "afraid"? Everything you own...as is happening right now? Your future? Any possibility of living a normal life? If this continues do you want to "live on the streets" with the other 300M folks that met the same fate? Put your family through unmentionable pain, grief and deprivation to....what exactly? Not be afraid? I think many/most that are driving this are ones that have never faced death, never had to make a life/death decision....coddled.

I've lived and had a wonderful, blessed life. My DW means the entire world to me along with my kids. A prolonged period of what is going on now will totally destroy their lives going forward. Miserable, nothing - all savings lost, can't pay bills, groveling for food or shelter. Will I take my chance with this thing vs that outcome? All day, everyday. Are they on the same page? Absolutely. The chances of getting this virus and dying are slim. The chances that your life will be destroyed if we don't change our direction and inject common sense is assured. JMO/YMMV and I'm sure it does....and yes, I worry about it but I'm not going to put one of my weapons to my head and end my life because I'm scared of "it" - which is exactly what we are doing by killing the entire economy of the country. :banghead: :hide: :flowers: :popcorn:

Well said!

HRoper
03-29-2020, 09:22 AM
Give your collective heads a shake people. This isn’t just about America and your rights! This is a world wide pandemic that the world is working to contain! No one is limiting your travel forever, give it the two or three weeks of limited travel and keep your distance and maybe we can conquer this thing faster and get our collective selves back to normal.
Maybe had we all taken this serious and acted quicker, (Xxxxxx) we could be further along.

Moderated to keep politics out of the post. ctbruce

buzzcop63
03-29-2020, 11:14 AM
Give your collective heads a shake people. This isn’t just about America and your rights! This is a world wide pandemic that the world is working to contain! No one is limiting your travel forever, give it the two or three weeks of limited travel and keep your distance and maybe we can conquer this thing faster and get our collective selves back to normal.
Maybe had we all taken this serious and acted quicker, (Xxxxxx) we could be further along.

Moderated to keep politics out of the post. ctbruce
Bill Gates in a 2015 (https://www.geekwire.com/2020/bill-gates-warned-us-covid-19-like-pandemic-watch-ted-talk-2015/) made a speech that told us of what is coming and he has been proven correct. We need guidance now to find our way and that guidance should come from those who are most knowledge, that is people with the DR in front of their names, specialist who study world economy and what will happen to us if we do not follow the advice we are given by those who know what they are talking about. It is never easy to take harsh measures in the short run to save ourselves in the long run and those of us without a depth of knowledge of Pandemics and economic hardships should listen to those who have dedicated their lives to this subject and not just rely on our own personal emotions.

CedarCreekWoody
03-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Bill Gates in a 2015 (https://www.geekwire.com/2020/bill-gates-warned-us-covid-19-like-pandemic-watch-ted-talk-2015/) made a speech that told us of what is coming and he has been proven correct. We need guidance now to find our way and that guidance should come from those who are most knowledge, that is people with the DR in front of their names, specialist who study world economy and what will happen to us if we do not follow the advice we are given by those who know what they are talking about. It is never easy to take harsh measures in the short run to save ourselves in the long run and those of us without a depth of knowledge of Pandemics and economic hardships should listen to those who have dedicated their lives to this subject and not just rely on our own personal emotions.

Well stated.

denny566
03-29-2020, 08:16 PM
The title is the message...There are slot of new people to Camping and it's extremely frustrating to read an article and sit and have to guess at all the abbreviations. We don't all live in the Great State Of Texas!!

wiredgeorge
03-29-2020, 08:36 PM
The title is the message...There are slot of new people to Camping and it's extremely frustrating to read an article and sit and have to guess at all the abbreviations. We don't all live in the Great State Of Texas!!

Which abbreviations used in this thread do you credit to Texans? I am a Texan and generally see abbreviations in EVERY thread for which I have no idea. I also see folks whose whole sentences are rendered incomprehensible because of spell checking. Folks would always do well to re-read what they have written just to be sure it is clear to a Texan like me.

GHen
03-29-2020, 09:12 PM
Not many abbreviations in this thread...

IMO in my opinion
IMHO in my Honest opinion
JMO just my opinion
TX Texas
X2 I agree also with above
DS or DW spouse
MH Motor Home

What did I miss that you need explained?

Bolo4u
03-29-2020, 11:00 PM
Not many abbreviations in this thread...

IMO in my opinion
IMHO in my Honest opinion
JMO just my opinion
TX Texas
X2 I agree also with above
DS or DW spouse
MH Motor Home

What did I miss that you need explained?

I thought I saw

YMMV your mileage may vary

ctbruce
03-30-2020, 12:33 AM
There's a sticky on abbreviations in the new members section.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ekeystoneforums%2Ecom %2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D449&share_tid=449&share_fid=38313&share_type=t&link_source=app

You can also google abbreviations

sourdough
03-30-2020, 02:25 AM

Sorry. Those abbreviations are a part of the Great State of the Internet!:D

In a post referenced above DS was meant for "dear son" and can be found by googling;

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=QciBXpmDIsWGsAXoi7GoDg&q=DS+abbreviation&oq=DS+abbreviation&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgI IADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6BQgAEIMBULEgWKZFYN9TaABwA HgAgAGsAYgB-AqSAQQxMS40mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjZp6mP_cHoAhVFA6wKHehFDOUQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

CedarCreekWoody
03-30-2020, 03:52 AM

I know what most of the abbreviations mean but I totally agree with you, they do get over-used and make for difficult reading, And I'm a Texan.

Northofu1
03-30-2020, 04:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5662EpzCI
This is a channel I subscribe to, talking about coming back to Canada due to Covid

travelin texans
03-30-2020, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=denny566;383801We don't all live in the Great State Of Texas!![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I don't think we've closed the borders yet, so if you hurry we might let you in? But not being a Texan your quarantine will be 28 days. JMO!

Knew I'd get to use this sometime...
Thanks Wired George.

LHaven
03-30-2020, 09:20 AM
No one is limiting your travel forever, give it the two or three weeks of limited travel and keep your distance

Your estimate is much more optimistic than mine. I expect to see the travelin' life in the toilet for at least the entire summer. Even if the flu disappears due to "not-flu season," the dislocations will endure. Bankrupt campgrounds have no availabilities.

JRTJH
03-30-2020, 10:15 AM
Your estimate is much more optimistic than mine. I expect to see the travelin' life in the toilet for at least the entire summer. Even if the flu disappears due to "not-flu season," the dislocations will endure. Bankrupt campgrounds have no availabilities.

Additionally, the majority (or at least a very large portion) of the RV community is over the age of 60 with many being over 75. Those people, even if they do travel a bit this summer, will be very reluctant to tow into areas that are currently "hot spots" for this pandemic. We've already cancelled our planned trip to New York, Vermont and Maine. With the uncertainty of a COVID-19 resurgence in the fall, we just don't feel comfortable heading into that area, not knowing if October will bring the realization that the viral load "never died but just hibernated during the summer and returned with cooler weather and everyone who "thought they were safe during the summer" is now potentially infected.....

Maybe we're being "too cautious" but I can postpone that trip for a year, hang closer to home this summer, stay busy camping locally and doing the things I've been putting off around the property. It'll still be a "busy summer" just likely without as much "towing time"....

LHaven
03-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Maybe we're being "too cautious" but I can postpone that trip for a year

If this emergency has spotlighted one uncomfortable truth for those of us in the age-bracket crosshairs, it's how naive it is to make the assumption that one can confidently postpone anything for a year. :(

GeekSquadOfUn
03-30-2020, 10:32 AM
I just travelled pulling a 35ft 5th wheel, from Mission Texas to Detroit Michigan.

I would not recommend you travel.

Something is going to happen, not sure what, but it ain't good.

Let the dust settle, then you'll be good to go, but for now it ain't a good idea.

Regards.

JRTJH
03-30-2020, 11:11 AM
If this emergency has spotlighted one uncomfortable truth for those of us in the age-bracket crosshairs, it's how naive it is to make the assumption that one can confidently postpone anything for a year. :(

Not sure about you, but I'm planning to still be active and doing my own thing at age 100. I'm planning that financially and physically. Just as I wouldn't go out and "spend all my savings before 76 (and be on welfare at 77), I don't/won't stop planning trips for age 77. YMMV, but I'm definitely planning to be as big a PITA to my kids at age 90 as they were to me at age 9 :whistling:

My funeral will hopefully be an "event" where I "slide into home plate, dirty, tattered, out of breath and a few hours late for the event, not "pristine and well manicured for survivors to admire my beauty"....

JRTJH
03-30-2020, 11:28 AM
I just travelled pulling a 35ft 5th wheel, from Mission Texas to Detroit Michigan.

I would not recommend you travel.

Something is going to happen, not sure what, but it ain't good.

Let the dust settle, then you'll be good to go, but for now it ain't a good idea.

Regards.

Are you staying around Detroit for a while or are you planning to continue your trip toward Toronto? If already in Canada, how was crossing the border in Windsor???

flybouy
03-30-2020, 11:36 AM
We cancelled our reservations for mid April trip to MT Airy, MD BBQ festival. MD governor held press conference today making non-essential travel illegal until end of April. He also said no travel out of the state unless it's "absolutely necessary" Up to 1 yr/$5K fine. Schools closed until 4/24, then I guess they'll reassess.

hankpage
03-30-2020, 12:23 PM
I am not optimistic that summer will have much effect on this virus. It has been in high 80℉ here in SW Florida for well over a week and virus numbers are still rising.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 This is one old fart that is not going very far away from the old stick and brick anytime soon. I want to be around to help John blow out those 100 candles. (just have to remember to turn off our oxygen first)

GeekSquadOfUn
03-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Are you staying around Detroit for a while or are you planning to continue your trip toward Toronto? If already in Canada, how was crossing the border in Windsor???
We have crossed into Canada, on Ambassador Bridge, which should be called The Obstacle Course. It was easy, we were told in no uncertain terms by a very nice Canadian Border Patrol lady to drive home, to stop only for gas, no shopping, nothing, and to confine ourselves for 14 days. Failure to do so could result in hefty fines and/or arrest.

We stopped for pee breaks at rest areas and a trucker told us, some RVers had been arrested for walking in to go pee. We used our RV facilities.

We're home and happy now.

Pretty serious stuff.

66joej
03-30-2020, 03:13 PM
We have crossed into Canada, on Ambassador Bridge, which should be called The Obstacle Course. It was easy, we were told in no uncertain terms by a very nice Canadian Border Patrol lady to drive home, to stop only for gas, no shopping, nothing, and to confine ourselves for 14 days. Failure to do so could result in hefty fines and/or arrest.

Pretty serious stuff.
We crossed at Roosville BC (Eureka MT) March 23 and got the same advise. Home and hunkered down now.
Still have a DD and SIL in Yuma AZ. Couple of Rednecks. Not coming back to Alberta until next week. They don't see a problem??? :eek:

LHaven
03-30-2020, 03:28 PM
Still have a DD and SIL in Yuma AZ. Couple of Rednecks. Not coming back to Alberta until next week. They don't see a problem??? :eek:

Yuma County and Connecticut are almost identical in area. As of this hour, Connecticut has 2500+ cases, Yuma County has 12. There are worse places to ride this out.

wiredgeorge
03-30-2020, 04:33 PM
We crossed at Roosville BC (Eureka MT) March 23 and got the same advise. Home and hunkered down now.

Some complained about needless abbreviations making a post hard to read. DD? SIL? :popcorn:

My sis and bro-in-law camped on our property for a month then headed home this last Friday to E. Tennessee. He is a frequent visitor to the VA Hospital right across the border in North Carolina and he told me NC just closed the border to anyone not having their state tags. Bro-in-law is kind of at a loss. Hope this stuff wraps sooner than later.

JRTJH
03-30-2020, 05:01 PM
George,

I don't think any policeman would stop him "at the state line" if he has a document stating that he has an appointment at the VA hospital. Nobody would want to accept the liability of stopping a patient from receiving medical care....

The bigger (and more appropriate) question is whether the VA hospital will make "regular appointments for patient care" by scheduling people with no "viral infection/viral symptoms" to "come on in and risk exposure"

I'd guess (based on working in health care at the VA) that he couldn't get an appointment for "routine care" on a bet.... Even with emergencies, they'll likely tell him to see his local provider and send the VA the bill..... They won't be scheduling him with any appointments for regular care for a while.....

flybouy
03-30-2020, 05:15 PM
Our PCP did a follow up visit with us the day after we got out of the hospital. DW and I had all the symptoms but ended up being severe bronchial infection. So he sent us a link on the phone and we had a "telemed" phone conversation/video conference. My endocrinologist called today and the appointment in mid April we be "telemed" instead of a "in person" visit. I'm guessing this will be the way of the future.

wiredgeorge
03-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Our PCP did a follow up visit with us the day after we got out of the hospital. DW and I had all the symptoms but ended up being severe bronchial infection. So he sent us a link on the phone and we had a "telemed" phone conversation/video conference. My endocrinologist called today and the appointment in mid April we be "telemed" instead of a "in person" visit. I'm guessing this will be the way of the future.

Since my last post, my endocrinologist indicated that tele-visits would be the norm for the extent of the health crisis and that co-pays would apply. Probably will just cancel my tele chats and watch Dr. Oz on TV... likely cheaper.

slimchancepistolero
03-31-2020, 03:03 AM
i have diabetes and that has cause the blood vessels my eyes to "seep" ... i get shots in my eyes about every 8 to 12 weeks for the last 2 yrs now ... this wednesday, april 1, is my next appointment for a shot ... call the DR office cause there waiting room is usally about 50 people crowded in a small room for 2 to 3 hours, very busy, they said ALL appointment are cancelled till further notice, only injection and emergenies will be retained... before you enter the building you will be screened for CV-19 ... currently on april 1 they expect 10 injection patients, they will be spaced to govt guidelines ... they said not to worry, they are following ALL govt guidelines ..... that helped

Northofu1
03-31-2020, 04:31 AM
Yuma County and Connecticut are almost identical in area. As of this hour, Connecticut has 2500+ cases, Yuma County has 12. There are worse places to ride this out.

Connecticut's population as of 2010 was 3.4 million density is 738 /sq mile
Yuma's population as of 2010 was 196,000 density is 35.5 / sq mile
just a wee bit of a difference. The whole state is 63 / sq. mile :lol:

LHaven
03-31-2020, 04:37 AM
Yes, that's just another part of the reason why it's a better place to ride out an epidemic. Plenty of personal space, and you don't have to share it with throngs of possibly infectious people.

Northofu1
03-31-2020, 04:50 AM
The greater Toronto Area Pop density as of 2018 is 7,131.2 / sq mile. NYC is 17,496, and Vancouver is 8,788.
I'm relatively healthy, I haven't had the flu since my kids grew up, don't get the shots. I was sick starting March 19, I'm over it now, it was mild. I can see how badly it could affect the aged.

GHen
03-31-2020, 09:33 AM
The population of my 20 acres is 2, plus the deer and rattlesnakes.
I got plenty to do for the next couple months in the shop and around the property. Trying to leave only once every 2 weeks to get grocery’s and go to the hardware store. When returning from Arizona in February we stopped in Vegas and stocked up on booze
Once I get the pool ready for warmer weather we are all set, as long as I stay out of my wife’s way, I’m occasionally driving her nuts.

SummitPond
03-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Here's a spreadsheet (https://arvc-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/david_basler_arvc_org/EWJO95JkiPZHoI_0guFJnlMB8e2BRRcnph4OGJ1sWWvOKw?rti me=lq-YVHjV10g) from another site that lists state-by-state info and is supposed to be updated periodically.

sourdough
03-31-2020, 05:39 PM
I'm not a fan of "quarantines" or being told not to go anywhere and I am, and have been, very vocal about that. Observing social distancing, crowds etc. during this time is just common sense to me but....

Late yesterday a pretty urgent event began to unfold with my family in FL. Stayed on the phone all evening and most of the night with various family members trying to come up with a plan. The most viable it seemed was for us to load up and return to FL with our RV. I spent this afternoon digging into a trip from TX to FL and came to a decision - we aren't going.

Very similar to the chain requirement, or lack thereof, on an Andersen 5th wheel hitch, leaving the interpretation of whatever guidelines to a local LEO, trying to travel across various jurisdictions appears to be daunting IF this thing continues to spiral out of control.

I called TX DPS, TX Dept. of Health, FL Dept. of Health (talked to the Asst. Deputy Director), FL Highway Patrol, Wakulla Cty. FL Sheriff's dept. and on an on. Expect roadblocks; delays; diversions possible depending on where you have been..... I asked if I would be required to turn around and go back where I came from....not at this time. If I get out of TX will I be able to return? Restrictions if I come through LA at the moment but it could get more strict. IF I make it to FL can I use a private RV campground? That is governed by each county and can change at a moments notice. If there and the state locks down travel could I return to my home in TX? No.

Although DW STILL wanted me to force this trip I showed her the stats; 89% of the fatalities from this virus in FL are in folks over 60. Governor DeSantis said if you plan on coming to FL, don't - we don't want you. I suspect this is playing out, and will play out further, in the weeks to come.

Everyone can make their own choices, and in our case I truly should go, and would, in other circumstances, but given it is very possible it could be a life or death decision for us given the right circumstances (unknown to us at the moment) I choose to hang tight, stay safe and let this blow over - I've had 52 anniversaries and want a couple dozen more :). If my daughter's life hung in the balance based on my presence I would be there but that is not the case.

For me, too many variables. Too many unknowns. Too much risk. Too little gain. Add those to the fact that what you know at any given moment or day can, and will, change in a heartbeat....and not to your liking for the foreseeable future. Very unlike me, but unless it is a bonafide, life or death situation, I would urge folks to just do their best at keeping close to home and minimize exposure for the time being. JMO

mfifield01
04-01-2020, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't leave the state right now. I would feel comfortable traveling in state.

I took a look at state park reservations yesterday. It seems that more people are camping now versus last year at this time. There are some basic restrictions (online only reservations, no tent camping, limiting day use, etc.).

GHen
04-01-2020, 07:35 AM
I would agree, not a good idea to leave the state. When buying our current home, one requirement was to be within 1 hour of a good medical facility. If I had a major medical event as I get older, being close to services could be the difference in life and death.
On the other hand, I have no problem driving through 100’s of miles of nothing to get somewhere to temporarily camp. I’ve taken a certain amount of risk my whole life. My insurance company told me I could fly airplanes, just don’t jump out of them, ha.

Now with the virus, there are all kinds of new risks to consider. Not just going to a higher risk area with more cases. Not just the risk of catching the virus at a rest area or while pumping gas. Not just the risk of taking the virus unknowingly to another state. But once I get there, what happens to us if we get it. Can/should I leave the state with the virus, or travel through multiple states to get home. Will I be put in a hospital with 100’s of other people with the virus, where they are already using every respiratory available. Will I die 1000 miles from my family and then be stored in some temporary mortuary for 6 months because I’m a virus death.

Me, I’m staying home, with a strong hospital system that is not at capacity. Close to family, ready to be taken when the time comes but not be a burden to the family or others during this whole mess. I got lots of home projects I should have done last year, time to get them finished.

flybouy
04-01-2020, 08:47 AM
The status of this pandemic is a very fluid situation. Often changing by the hour, outbreaks can and are occurring in places no one could or can predict. Here in MD in MT Airy, a rural community an hour drive from Baltimore and D.C. a nursing home had an outbreak. 77 infected and 5 dead, so far.

Anyone that thinks they "should go camping" are just as foolish as the "spring breakers" in FL recently in my opinion. I equate the current warnings to the air raid sirens in London during WWII with one major difference. If, during an air raid you opted to "try your luck" and take a stroll you only put your life in danger. With a pandemic you are possibly endangering your life as well as others.

Currently there is a cruise ship with US citizens on board the FL and other states and countries are refusing to allow in. Do you think that you and you're RV will be welcomed with open arms?

I think of it this way. This years camping season has been interrupted and chances are will be further. It's not like you're going to die if you don't go camping but there is a possibility, however remotely, that you can if you do go. So while you may be willing to take the risk I doubt that the states that you wish to enter will.

I think it's a sad statement to see people panic during an emergency. I think it's even sadder to see people so selfish that they think all the experts along with the billions of people around the world are wrong because they want to go camping.

JMHO

SummitPond
05-25-2020, 10:27 AM
Just ran across this site from AAA giving somewhat global & detailed information on travel restrictions in a graphical format:

https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2ec42826968d4d0980ccca0fbbfe0c7c&sf122295430=1

Click on the area of interest and a pop-up summarizes restrictions and directs you to other websites for further information.

Badbart56
05-25-2020, 11:34 AM
It doesn't look like anyone is fearing the virus today. At least not on the I-10 corridor from Florida to Denham Springs, Louisiana. LOTS of traffic and LOTS of RV's. And several blown tires along the way. And unfortunately quite a few undersized vehicles trying to pull the RV's. I cringe when I pass one and see it swerving in my wake, half ton trucks and SUV's. Yep, summer is here.

gearhead
05-25-2020, 12:30 PM
I'm making reservations for the weekend of June 12/13. Sprint cars at Knoxville Iowa. I'll let ya know if I catch the bug.
So far Winstar Casino RV Thackerville, OK is open, Eisenhower State Park in Kansas, and Bucksaw COE Missouri for the return took my reservation. Calling the track tomorrow for tickets.
Now if Betty could decide if she is going....if yes I drag the Oshkosh, no..probably Bigfoot.

Badbart56
05-25-2020, 01:40 PM
We had an awesome meal of crab cakes, shrimp, catfish and crawfish boudin at the Swamp Box Restaurant in Denham Springs, Louisiana. It appears almost everything is open for business.

wiredgeorge
05-25-2020, 02:32 PM
It doesn't look like anyone is fearing the virus today. At least not on the I-10 corridor from Florida to Denham Springs, Louisiana. LOTS of traffic and LOTS of RV's. And several blown tires along the way. And unfortunately quite a few undersized vehicles trying to pull the RV's. I cringe when I pass one and see it swerving in my wake, half ton trucks and SUV's. Yep, summer is here.

I think maybe the IH-10 road surface in Louisiana is more dangerous than the Covid bug. I try and avoid IH-10 and IH-20 as both have been miserable when I traveled them in the past.

JRTJH
05-25-2020, 03:09 PM
I think maybe the IH-10 road surface in Louisiana is more dangerous than the Covid bug. I try and avoid IH-10 and IH-20 as both have been miserable when I traveled them in the past.

I 40 from Memphis west through Arkansas isn't any better. Neither is I 70 through Colorado and Kansas or I 80 through Nebraska and Wyoming. We won't talk about I 55 or I 65 or I 75 through Illinois, Kentucky/Tennessee or Ohio, respectively.

Truth be told, if we (or federal/state governments) don't divert some of those "social program (vote buying) funds" to start spending on infrastructure repairs, the Interstate System, pretty much as a whole, will be even worse next year than it is this year.

Badbart56
05-25-2020, 04:05 PM
We travel all over the country and into Canada almost every week and, yes, many of our roadways are in drastic need of repair. And while we are aware of that, we don't look forward to the construction zones that it brings. Some of these projects go on for years. They should have done it during the COVID lockdown!

flybouy
05-25-2020, 04:13 PM
We travel all over the country and into Canada almost every week and, yes, many of our roadways are in drastic need of repair. And while we are aware of that, we don't look forward to the construction zones that it brings. Some of these projects go on for years. They should have done it during the COVID lockdown!

That would have been a great thing that would have required a crystal ball. Unfortunately the reality is that to do road work it typically takes several years of getting environmental studies completed, permitting, contract bids and negotiations, EPA clearance, federal, state, local acceptance and funding. The "shovel ready" projects was a political BS perpetrated years ago to make people think the government was doing something. Typically the only "accelerated" projects are the ones that are resulting from natural disaster like a bridge collapse or roadway washout where the roadway in question is vital.

JRTJH
05-25-2020, 04:49 PM
We just lost the major part of a medium size city last week. Heavy rains breached two dams that were built around 1925 or that era and have "been on the repair list" for 40 years. There has never been enough money to fix the dams, (probably 30-40 million) but now there's enough "emergency aid" (probably 300-400 million) to pay for the losses and fix the dam....

It's the same with the roads. When we bought our car last year, the dealerships are selling "wheel and tire replacement packages" similar to the extended warranty and interior/exterior protection packages. The purpose is to replace damaged wheels and tires from impact with potholes. The finance guy had a complete spiel about how expensive it is to replace a cracked wheel or a damaged tire from a pothole. "This program removes all that expense. Just bring the damaged wheel and/or tire in and we'll replace it no questions asked for the life of your protection package....

When you've got to buy "add on insurance" to replace wheels/tire damaged from potholes, well, there's a dire need to repair the roads...

Roads, dams, electrical grid, airports, railroads, irrigation systems, the list goes on and on....

notanlines
05-25-2020, 05:17 PM
Just ran across this site from AAA giving somewhat global & detailed information on travel restrictions in a graphical format:

https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2ec42826968d4d0980ccca0fbbfe0c7c&sf122295430=1

Click on the area of interest and a pop-up summarizes restrictions and directs you to other websites for further information.
Summit, clearly one of the best tools I've come across lately. Great info!

Badbart56
05-26-2020, 12:17 AM
That would have been a great thing that would have required a crystal ball. Unfortunately the reality is that to do road work it typically takes several years of getting environmental studies completed, permitting, contract bids and negotiations, EPA clearance, federal, state, local acceptance and funding. The "shovel ready" projects was a political BS perpetrated years ago to make people think the government was doing something. Typically the only "accelerated" projects are the ones that are resulting from natural disaster like a bridge collapse or roadway washout where the roadway in question is vital.

They didn't need a crystal ball. Many of these road problems have existed for a long time and were known and "scheduled", but due to a lack of funds are constantly put off for decades. But boy let a virus get around and they can find a couple trillion dollars in a heartbeat.....

Gary R.
05-26-2020, 09:56 PM
Ken, that is a great tool to ascertain what restrictions are in place for the states one might travel to.

It is now in my bookmarks!

Thank you!

Frank G
05-27-2020, 01:49 AM
Yesterday "sourdough" posted an article "Corvid and RV sales" detailing the up-tick in RV sales. Yesterday the wife and I booked our summer travelers before heading back to Florida. Let me say, Michigan is full, it took a lot of calls to find open sites especially "Full Hookup's"

To have a little conversation about Corvid and RV'ing. Many of the "Experts" are saying it is better to be outside following the safe distancing rules, than cooped up inside sheltering at home. All of the bookings we did have no human contact start to finish. Today we download a app that allows us to order from the CG store with delivery to the site. Same for firewood, propane, etc. From the experts, Corvid does not like it outside in the sun, nor on surfaces, It likes it inside in crowded places. There is enough distance between campsites, and fire pits to keep everyone safe. Refrain from passing the Jack, and stay away from the sandbar on Torch Lake.

flybouy
05-27-2020, 05:48 AM
They didn't need a crystal ball. Many of these road problems have existed for a long time and were known and "scheduled", but due to a lack of funds are constantly put off for decades. But boy let a virus get around and they can find a couple trillion dollars in a heartbeat.....

The crystal ball was in reference to the time available due to the shutdown and not identifying the problem areas. Think is, "kicking the problems down the road" typically means they didn't spend the money on the "up front" requirements. In other words, why spend money on surveying, environmental studies, public hearings so someone can object that "little Johnny" doesn't like the noise or ,you're endangering some microscopic larvae or whatever when the project has no imminent future.

The thing is, the road taxes for trucks/commercial vehicles and gas tax was supposed to pay for road repairs and new roads (along with bonds). The problem is, like most states and Federal Government, someone figures out there's money there and they go and spend it on other things. Just like Social Security. SS "retirement" was supposed to fill in the gap after WWII when the farms were no longer being run by the sons of the generation and the farmers had no retirement. The plan worked, there were enough "participants" (read taxpayers) putting money in to cover the money going out and ADD money for the future. Problem is, some folks in D.C. viewed this surplus as a way to get more votes. It's been broke for decades now and funded on more debt.

As long as the public want's more projects and refuses to pay more taxes these issues will persist.

Nate805
05-27-2020, 05:37 PM
Have trekked 2,600 miles with the wife and kids all over the US from California to Michigan going the southern route. We will be making our way back end of June/ early July via the northern route and will put about 6k miles on the road overall. Lots of places to stay, once we got outside of California. We don’t go into public buildings, just do everything pick up or delivery. Feeling very fortunate that we’re both still working, are temporarily remote, and have our health!