PDA

View Full Version : Switch for solar system

roadglide
03-21-2020, 08:20 PM
I have nice switch that was salvaged from my boat . The solar has no switch I’m thinking about using the switch some where on the system . I’m not convinced I need a switch to turn off the power to the control.

JRTJH
03-22-2020, 06:50 AM
Is that a "potentially leaking propane tank" next to all of that "potentially sparking electrical equipment" ?????

roadglide
03-22-2020, 08:17 AM
Is that a "potentially leaking propane tank" next to all of that "potentially sparking electrical equipment" ?????
Nope that’s my Webber 1000 that connects to the outside of my camper. I stored under the frame I built for the inverter . The pictures I’m taking for this fourm are low resolution. There are a few relays and wiring everything is mounted high. The switch maybe a good idea to install on the ground side to isolate power coming in from the panels. I unplugged the refrigerator it’s draws 4 amps while on ele and set on auto.

chuckster57
03-22-2020, 08:20 AM
Just my opinion but I wouldn't bother. Why not leave the solar to charge all the time, doesn't the controller "regulate" the charge? Just asking because I a NOT a solar expert.

Customer1
03-22-2020, 05:36 PM
I use a circuit breaker as a switch although I only turn it off when servicing.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/619pN031CrL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGK61GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GaryUT
03-22-2020, 07:33 PM
I have a switch between the solar panels and the controller. A lot of the controllers instruction manuals say not to connect the panels to the controller unless it is connected to the battery bank.

I have a blue sea circuit breaker with a manual disconnect between the batteries and the controller, it is mounted next to the batteries.

I have rewired my battery disconnect switch to disconnect everything except the solar controller. This way I can completely remove power from the trailer and still have the solar maintaining the batteries. If I need to work on the solar I turn off the panels and then trip the breaker to remove power from the controller.

Gary