PDA

View Full Version : RV rollover

Badbart56
03-16-2020, 05:10 PM
https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/FHP-Crash-with-roadblock-on-I-10-westbound-in-Monticello-568843611.html

On the road like we are, we're seeing more and more RV's with the warmer weather. I've seen countless trailers and fifthwheels on the side of the road with blown tires. I often wonder if it's anyone from this forum. Be careful, check your equipment. Don't end up like this. Just happened on I-10 just east of Tallahassee, Florida.

Northofu1
03-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Looks like a Ford, jus sayin :hide: :lol:

JRTJH
03-16-2020, 06:25 PM

You're not really "bold and foolish enough" to suggest that if it were a GM or RAM that the accident wouldn't have happened, are you ?????

sourdough
03-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Run that highway all the time when I'm in FL. Guess the pic shows exactly how robust an RV is doesn't it...:facepalm: AND why all should be very aware of weights, tires etc. That's not a pretty picture and I can only imagine "dad" dealing with the damage, the family etc. and after choosing to disregard weights; new tires etc. (hypothetical example - nothing to do with the pic).

Gegrad
03-16-2020, 06:58 PM
I can't tell what make or model either the truck or trailer are, just that it looks like a 2WD truck. That doesn't mean or contribute anything to the story or why the accident occurred at all though, just merely an observation.

JRTJH
03-16-2020, 07:03 PM
I can't tell what make or model either the truck or trailer are, just that it looks like a 2WD truck. That doesn't mean or contribute anything to the story or why the accident occurred at all though, just merely an observation.

The side mirror on the driver's door appears to be a Ford mirror and, as you said, it's a 2WD. Otherwise, when I enlarge the photo, it's too fuzzy to tell much about the truck, but the wheels look like 6 lugs, so it's a F150 (I think).

Bolo4u
03-16-2020, 07:17 PM
The side mirror on the driver's door appears to be a Ford mirror and, as you said, it's a 2WD. Otherwise, when I enlarge the photo, it's too fuzzy to tell much about the truck, but the wheels look like 6 lugs, so it's a F150 (I think).

Looking at the bumper as well, it looks like a ~2011 range Ford F150. hopefully everyone is ok.

roadglide
03-16-2020, 07:24 PM
That’s what happens when a Ultralight is rolling over.

Northofu1
03-17-2020, 01:36 AM
You're not really "bold and foolish enough" to suggest that if it were a GM or RAM that the accident wouldn't have happened, are you ?????

:eek: Never,,,, :angel::whistling:

Ken / Claudia
03-17-2020, 07:00 AM
It would be nice to know details on how and why it happened. I ID'ed it as a ford by the mirror also, for me unsure model year.

Cbrez
03-17-2020, 11:24 AM
I-75 scares me. I stay in the right lane with cruise control on 65 mph and hope I don’t get rear ended by someone passing on the right. I used to feel relatively safe on I-10 until seeing your pic. That TT is smashed beyond recognition.

LHaven
03-17-2020, 02:59 PM
It would be nice to know details on how and why it happened.

Me too... if this photo is of the "north shoulder of I-10 westbound," he spun the whole rig around and ended up facing the wrong way in traffic. Maybe he managed to get on I-10 going the wrong direction?

Monticello is the I-10/US 19 interchange, which has some confusing signage... but a nice place to have a tasty meal if you're in the mood for game meat.

Huntme
03-17-2020, 10:07 PM
that could be anyone of us,we all need to be carefull.

Fishsizzle
03-18-2020, 02:13 AM
Just came back from Davis Ca, and saw an older “Prowler” type trailer may 19-20’ on Hwy 97 completely on its top.

I couldn’t stop and get and get a pic.

Be safe! Was in a white out near Chemult and had to call 911 as a semi slid off coming at me and thankfully swerved right and went off the road. Almost spent the night in the truck with my dog, it was bad. Crawled for 4 hrs in 4wd for 60 miles to get home.

flybouy
03-18-2020, 06:16 AM
Just came back from Davis Ca, and saw an older “Prowler” type trailer may 19-20’ on Hwy 97 completely on its top.

Be safe! Was in a white out near Chemult and had to call 911 as a semi slid off coming at me and thankfully swerved right and went off the road. Almost spent the night in the truck with my dog, it was bad. Crawled for 4 hrs in 4wd for 60 miles to get home.

I bet that did wonders for your'e fuel mileage! :eek:

Fishsizzle
03-18-2020, 06:21 AM

I bet that did wonders for your'e fuel mileage! :eek:

Didn’t bother to look. Was gone a week and just wanted to be home. My wife had to stay home and missed her terribly

flybouy
03-18-2020, 06:37 AM
We had a Dodge Durango R/T 19 or 20 years ago. 5.9L, "hot tune" required premium fuel, and all wheel drive. That little SUV would pull an elephant off it's feet and was fantastic in snow. But OMG was it thirsty!:hide: If you drove it like a "little old lady going to church" it would yield about 12 mpg. If I "drove it like I stole it"it would get 10 mpd.:banghead:

For the 2 mpg excess it was well worth it to me to enjoy myself.:D

Fishsizzle
03-18-2020, 11:24 AM
We had a Dodge Durango R/T 19 or 20 years ago. 5.9L, "hot tune" required premium fuel, and all wheel drive. That little SUV would pull an elephant off it's feet and was fantastic in snow. But OMG was it thirsty!:hide: If you drove it like a "little old lady going to church" it would yield about 12 mpg. If I "drove it like I stole it"it would get 10 mpd.:banghead:

For the 2 mpg excess it was well worth it to me to enjoy myself.:D

My 17 6.7 got 17 mpg down to Davis

70-75 mph

skids
03-21-2020, 06:38 AM
That’s what happens when a Ultralight is rolling over.

Either way, the trailer will be trashed (and probably the truck).

BRB Rig
03-22-2020, 07:25 AM
https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/FHP-Crash-with-roadblock-on-I-10-westbound-in-Monticello-568843611.html

On the road like we are, we're seeing more and more RV's with the warmer weather. I've seen countless trailers and fifthwheels on the side of the road with blown tires. I often wonder if it's anyone from this forum. Be careful, check your equipment. Don't end up like this. Just happened on I-10 just east of Tallahassee, Florida.

The trailer is a Rockwood Ultra V. I've read stories about swaying issues with this model. Not sure what happened in this accident, but my heart goes out to the owner(s). :(

BadmanRick
03-22-2020, 08:55 AM
Most idiots towing travel trailers pull them Way too fast. Most TT tires are only rated at 65mph. I see TT RUNNING 80mph plus on cheap tires. A recipe for disaster.

tomkat2
03-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Doesn't matter what truck it is...EVERYONE just needs to SLOW DOWN! Had a double blowout on highway 50 in Nevada (111 miles from anywhere and bad cell service) with my first 5er in 2013. It was a rough go getting her from 68mph to 0 and safely to the side of the road. No one was hurt, but family and I were stranded into the night for 6 hrs, plus two days to get new tires and clean up the body damage enough to get home. Let's just say it put the fear of God into me. Learned a lot from that...First, when I have my 6 1/2 ton fifth wheel behind my 4 1/2 ton truck, I never forget who's really in charge and second, I no longer feel that traveling on the most isolated 2 lane highways in this beautiful Land of ours is necessarily the best way to go! But most of all, I learned to slow down and relax while trying to get to the campground...where I can sit and slow down and relax! Safe travels to all!

Ken / Claudia
03-22-2020, 09:44 AM
As with any moving object, the faster it travels the harder it is to control/recover when ANYTHING goes bad. Many just cannot input corrections to gain control again. They over do it, under do it, don't do it or just have no clue. So what happens, they push the brake peddle as hard as possible and than go further out of control and crash. I cannot even start to recall the high number of crashes that could have be avoided by steering, slowing, and especially just drive slower before the event happens.

JRTJH
03-22-2020, 10:06 AM
As with any moving object, the faster it travels the harder it is to control/recover when ANYTHING goes bad. Many just cannot input corrections to gain control again. They over do it, under do it, don't do it or just have no clue. So what happens, they push the brake peddle as hard as possible and than go further out of control and crash. I cannot even start to recall the high number of crashes that could have be avoided by steering, slowing, and especially just drive slower before the event happens.

I agree completely !!! Unless you've got an "X" truck. They are designed to be far superior to anything built by any other truck company. Heck, they even pulled something weighing hundreds of times more than the rated SAE rating. Just proves any other truck is inferior. Going up hills, down hills, around curves, facing headwinds, tail winds, crosswinds or even bow winds, no need to even have two hands on the steering wheel. So, if you own an "X" truck, you can ignore all safety precautions, they simply don't apply to us and our trailers, regardless of how long they are or how much they weigh, you're always safe as a "bug in a rug" if you're in an "X" truck...…

The above is posted, "completely tongue in cheek"... :popcorn:

Badbart56
03-22-2020, 10:30 AM
I agree completely !!! Unless you've got an "X" truck. They are designed to be far superior to anything built by any other truck company. Heck, they even pulled something weighing hundreds of times more than the rated SAE rating. Just proves any other truck is inferior. Going up hills, down hills, around curves, facing headwinds, tail winds, crosswinds or even bow winds, no need to even have two hands on the steering wheel. So, if you own an "X" truck, you can ignore all safety precautions, they simply don't apply to us and our trailers, regardless of how long they are or how much they weigh, you're always safe as a "bug in a rug" if you're in an "X" truck...…

The above is posted, "completely tongue in cheek"... :popcorn:

Here's my "X" truck!

Badbart56
03-22-2020, 10:31 AM
I'll never understand why my pics go sideways on this site, but nowhere else....

pitman44
03-22-2020, 11:14 AM
TTs must be inherently less stable than cargo trailers. Maybe it's the height of them. When my daughter was racing micro sprints we had a 7000# enclosed 24' trailer. Late one night we were heading home on the NYS Thruway when the trailer felt a little funny towing. As it was about 2AM I wasn't about to pull over to check it out so we went to the next exit.

There was a well lit 24 hr convenience store/gas station so I pulled in there. Hopped out and check the left side and all was well. Checked the right side and both tires were flat. I'd been driving so long with one flat the rubber was pretty much all gone. It's amazing to me that it was so stable with one flat and not that bad with two flat.

JRTJH
03-22-2020, 11:33 AM
I'll never understand why my pics go sideways on this site, but nowhere else....

Just goes to show you that even with an "X" truck, things can sometimes lay down when you least expect it.

rbrdriver
03-22-2020, 01:08 PM
If he would have had my 3500 Ram Dually he would have never lost it. Just saying......:cool:

JRTJH
03-22-2020, 01:53 PM
If he would have had my 3500 Ram Dually he would have never lost it. Just saying......:cool:

He didn't "lose it"... It's still "right there, hitch connected and all"...…

LERD
03-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Rbrdriver, do you think your elite dually would stop this?

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2019/03/14/watch-wind-lifts-tractor-trailer-off-road/3169326002/

Don't pop off till you know the facts

LHaven
03-22-2020, 04:21 PM

Only the RV Life forum software, sadly... here's the problem (https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=382379#post382379).

BSHGTO
03-23-2020, 09:26 AM

Light duty

Northofu1
03-23-2020, 09:51 AM
Light duty

Of course.

chunker
03-31-2020, 08:44 AM

If he had your truck you would have been pissed he took it and someone else trailer.

flybouy
03-31-2020, 08:56 AM
Many years ago my flight instructor told me that the vast majority of aviation accidents were due to "pilot error", typically flying in conditions beyond the pilot's ability or the aircraft's performance envelope. I believe the same applies to drivers on the highway.

chunker
03-31-2020, 09:05 AM
Many years ago my flight instructor told me that the vast majority of aviation accidents were due to "pilot error", typically flying in conditions beyond the pilot's ability or the aircraft's performance envelope. I believe the same applies to drivers on the highway.

As a retired flight instructor, Army, I can attest that some of the pilot error is over estimating and not being familiar with the aircraft performance. As you said, that is prevalent on the highways too.

travelin texans
03-31-2020, 09:40 AM
After driving in the Texas panhandle for my first 20-30 years towing I've been hit by micro burst winds that suddenly you've changed lanes & there wasn't a damn thing I could've done to change it.

JGEORGE
03-31-2020, 01:39 PM

Mine were doing the same thing then I realized, Its because you took the pic in portrait mode(phone up/down) when you turn it sideways and snap a pic they will post on this site correctly.