PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Blyth Ontario from Maine

SummitPond
03-15-2020, 03:40 PM
Assuming we are allowed to travel and cross international borders, later this summer we intend on traveling to Blyth, Ontario, leaving from southern Maine. We would probably enter Canada from Vermont on Autoroute 85, then following along the St. Lawrence River and past Lake Ontario onto Blyth.

What sights and attractions would you suggest we see?

Any particular campgrounds you suggest we stay at (or avoid)?

Also, is there anything special we need to know about regarding the border crossing - either way (US to Canada or Canada to US)?

Is there a different route you would suggest?

I am scoping out the trip and would like to determine how much time we need to plan to be on the road, to and fro.

Thank you.

NH_Bulldog
03-15-2020, 04:08 PM
Although Ontario is nice, I like to avoid it as long as possible. We travel from Southern NH to downstate MI once a year and also Upper Peninsula MI once a year. The cost of fuel is a big factor we consider it in our travel plans. We typically go West all the way to Buffalo, NY and then cut across to MI (that route runs about 60 miles South of Blyth). For the Northern route we always cross at Cornwall.

If you are looking for adventure without regard to costs or inconvenience, North of the border is a nice trip, and Provincial Parks (like our State Parks) are clean, quiet, reasonably priced and often have electric sites but rarely sites with water (never saw one with sewer).

Tips for crossing the border in either direction; smile, act friendly, roll down front and back windows, make and keep eye contact, no firearms, no pepper spray, no drugs. Alcohol and tobacco are for personal use. Proper ID (passports are best). As I said, we do the trip back and forth twice a year with our trailer, two bulldogs, and our 6 year old. Before our daughter we would do the spring trip in my company car and the fall trip on our Harley. We have never had a hassle of any kind.