PDA

View Full Version : Range vent modification

roadglide
03-15-2020, 02:43 PM
I have been thinking how can I make the dam flapper on my range vent from thumping, whistling and the aggravation knowing it don’t work and most of the time it has rags stuffed I under the vent.

LHaven
03-15-2020, 05:17 PM
Not sure what I'm looking at. Did you install some kind of long sliding hook to remotely secure your flapper from inside?

I was going to suggest just adding a pair of window screen frame clips (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Prime-Line-8-Pack-0-0625-in-Gray-Flush-Clip/3080655). You can find them in whatever depth (lower barrel extension) you need to fit the flapper thickness (or you can just sand one of these down).

roadglide
03-15-2020, 07:38 PM
I have been thinking how can I make the dam flapper on my range vent from thumping, whistling and the aggravation knowing it don’t work and most of the time it has rags stuffed I under the vent.

1/8 brass rod connect to plastic flap door for the range on a toy hauler. The door has clips but I need a Latter to reach them. I used a hard rubber block and drilled a hoe through it smaller then the rod that block keeps the rod from moving and holds the vent door tight open or closed. now I can open or close the vent from under the range hood . I think the range vent door on the fusion is a pain in the back.

LewisB
03-16-2020, 08:06 AM
So our 2018 Raptor 353TS has this type of flapper valve on the hood - yes, I need a step stool to reach the little clips to allow the valve to flap.

What is the downside of just leaving these clips in the open position all the time? An a windy day we may hear it flapping a bit - no big deal. Could maybe get some road grit while travelling with it potentially flapping?

Am I missing something important?

flybouy
03-16-2020, 08:35 AM
So our 2018 Raptor 353TS has this type of flapper valve on the hood - yes, I need a step stool to reach the little clips to allow the valve to flap.

What is the downside of just leaving these clips in the open position all the time? An a windy day we may hear it flapping a bit - no big deal. Could maybe get some road grit while travelling with it potentially flapping?

Am I missing something important?

I have seen several reports of people leaving the flap unsecured and having it rip off going down the highway. I doubt that you're typical "windy day" doesn't consists of 65+ mph constant winds.

roadglide
03-16-2020, 08:39 AM
Like the In command system I don’t think I’m missing anything in the long run and happy I don’t have it . The vent locks where not convenient for me to get a ladder annoying listening to the flapper rattle in a windstorm. This was just an idea if somebody had the skill to copy my modification or can add to it. That’s my point .

LewisB
03-16-2020, 09:07 AM
Excellent point, Marshall:bow:
Thanks to roadglide for the OP - might be worth the effort!

Brad

roadglide
07-05-2020, 04:09 PM
The modification to the range vent works flawlessly there is no more rattling as the wind blows . The outside range flap stayed tight against the camper.