PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator odor

Tfmyers
03-15-2020, 06:23 AM
Have a ordor coming from Norcold refrigerator. Thought at first it was spoiled food but have totally cleaned it out and wiped it out and still smells. We're running on electric and have not pulled trailer for 3 months so ordor just started, any thoughts? Its a 2019 Keystone fuzion.

chuckster57
03-15-2020, 06:44 AM
How many days in TOTAL do you think the fridge has been on?

I have found that when new, Norcold uses a lot of paint on the cooling unit and it has to “burn off”.

Tfmyers
03-15-2020, 07:30 AM
We've had it on steady for almost 3 months so would not think it's that.

Summergirl
03-15-2020, 07:37 AM
What does it smell like? If it is an ammonia smell the cooling coils could be shot? Being a new unit not likely but could have a cooling leak. Did a mouse crawl up from the outside and die? If it just food odours then get some charcoal briquettes and put them in there for about a week. They will absorb the odor.

chuckster57
03-15-2020, 07:37 AM
Then I am baffled. Have you tried using coffee grounds to "soak up" the odor?

Tfmyers
03-15-2020, 10:31 AM
No but i will try it.

flybouy
03-15-2020, 12:02 PM
Can you describe the odor? Have you removed the grill on the outside and checked for odor on the outside of the fridge? Also check for any critters that may have crawled in to get warm?

I would switch it over to gas for a few hrs and see if there is any change in the intensity of the smell (rule out an issue on the 120 vac side). Fresh ground coffee or charcoals broken into small pieces make good odor absorbers. By grinding and "breaking up" the bricketts you increase the surface area for absorption. Good luck.

LHaven
03-15-2020, 02:59 PM
My thought is to open any access you have behind the unit, and check it for rodent nests. Not all ammonia originates in your cooling coils.

chunker
03-16-2020, 10:27 AM
Wadded up newspaper supposed to absorb odors also.

Camp CA
03-16-2020, 04:12 PM
Baking soda absorbs odors.

wiredgeorge
03-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Then I am baffled. Have you tried using coffee grounds to "soak up" the odor?

Most put an open box of Arm & Hammer baking soda in the fridge to absorb odors. Tip from the Arm & Hammer website:

Place a fresh, open box of ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda inside, or an ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda Fridge-n-Freezer Odor Absorber Box. Sodium bicarbonate absorbs lingering odors and stops flavor transfer, which helps to keep foods tasting fresher, longer.

notanlines
03-18-2020, 03:41 AM
I will second Karen's suggestion of charcoal. After our little fight with hamburger and a power failure (don't ask, we've all been there) Brenda washed the freezer until even Corona-19 couldn't live in there. I then placed a cake pan loaded with charcoal in thefreezer, and at the end of our four day trip the smell was gone. Worth a try anyway....maybe with a side of coffee grounds and baking soda.

jsmith948
03-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Ground coffee is a great odor absorber. Used to sprinkle coffee on the floor of the refer trailer after hauling broccoli.