PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring

Telco Tech
03-12-2020, 07:59 PM
This is the wiring on the tongue of my Keystone Cougar SABWE. In my opinion I rate this wiring job a D. In this area of the trailer I think the wiring should be more like automotive wiring with sealed connectors and sealed junction boxes. This doesn't look like a factory job to me or is this how Keystone sends their trailers out to dealers to sell? Junction box that would be used in a residential house wall? I would like to wire this with a separate power and ground buss in a weather sealed terminal box. I saw a trailer that was parked next to me that used this area with a platform for a portable generator. I'd like to hear opinions on this. Thanks!

Northofu1
03-13-2020, 05:20 AM
This is the wiring on the tongue of my Keystone Cougar SABWE. In my opinion I rate this wiring job a D. In this area of the trailer I think the wiring should be more like automotive wiring with sealed connectors and sealed junction boxes. This doesn't look like a factory job to me or is this how Keystone sends their trailers out to dealers to sell? Junction box that would be used in a residential house wall? I would like to wire this with a separate power and ground buss in a weather sealed terminal box. I saw a trailer that was parked next to me that used this area with a platform for a portable generator. I'd like to hear opinions on this. Thanks!

I agree on the wiring, don't look at the power centre, you'll have a panic attack.:lol:
The beauty is you get to arrange, rewire, decorate it the way you want it. As long as your TV and TT can handle that load, go for it.

Logan X
03-13-2020, 08:33 AM
If you have the ability and capability, I think it would be well worth it to clean up the wiring and get everything into boxes. If you do it, please post what you did with pictures. I’m interested in doing the same thing.

Regarding the generator, I prefer to have my generator be portable so I can keep it as far away as possible while it’s running. It travels in the back of my truck, locked with a cable lock, and it is locked to the bumper when I’m in camp and it’s not running. I use a cable lock from a company called Bolt. The lock is coded to your truck key so you don’t have to carry a lot of keys around. Here is a link-

https://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7023722-Cable-Lincoln-Rover/dp/B00OQPPS0C

I also have a couple of padlocks and a hitch lock from them. They are a little pricey but it’s worth it to me to not have the extra keys.

flybouy
03-13-2020, 08:57 AM

The bold red ain't gonna happen. Not on an entry level unit and not on a lot of "high end" units. That "residential junction box" what does it contain? Most likely it's the breakaway switch (check for a battery wire (typically black) going in and a brake wire (blue) along with the steel cable. The breakaway switches are themselves sealed and I've seen the placed inside a stiil box to keep the wire loom or other wires from interfering with the cable operation.

I would make a neater install if it were mine but I couldn't guarantee that Keystone, or your dealer would find fault with it.

Telco Tech
03-13-2020, 11:30 AM
All I can add is that it works, but in the long run I see trouble with the connections from vibration, weather, etc. I want to replace that wing nut with a butt connector that I will crimp with a compound leverage tool and then heat shrink over it.

JRTJH
03-13-2020, 12:10 PM
That "galvanized house box" contains the connection/interface for the 7 pin connector. Inside that box is where the umbilical cable connects to the trailer wiring to run the turn signals, clearance lights, brake system, 12 VDC power to charge the battery/provide power from the vehicle 12 volt system.

There are at least two "DC mini-breakers" in the mix of wires and connections in that "spider web". They are not sealed, will corrode (usually in a year or two) and cause all kinds of electrical problems....

There are a couple of members who posted their "rework to weatherproof" their electrical systems. Do a search of the forum threads, there's a couple complete with photos and step by step solutions.

You're right, there is a "significant vulnerability to water/weather" on the tongue of every Keystone RV. That said, take a look at any other trailer, you'll find the same issues until you get into the "luxury trailer brands". I don't suspect that it will change any time soon, so …...

FlyingAroundRV
03-14-2020, 04:16 AM
WRT putting the generator on the tongue, I see a couple of issues there.
1. If your trailer is like mine (and yes, my wiring as new from the factory looks like yours) you have LPG bottles mounted on the tongue. Having a running generator that close to the gas bottles would make me a bit nervous and
2. Having a running generator on the tongue would generate a lot of noise inside the trailer. On our last trip, the blowout valve in one of the gas bottles was singing slightly and I could hear it all through the trailer. It nearly drove me mad until I found out what the noise was and figured out how to stop it and that was a pretty quiet sound.

+Ruff Rider
03-14-2020, 05:39 AM
May I suggest some solder and shrink wrap.

GaryUT
03-14-2020, 06:27 PM
You can replace the box with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1WTKSP/ref=dp_cerb_1

Clean up the wires the best you can and cover with split loom tubing or wrap with tape.

Gary

Telco Tech
03-16-2020, 11:38 PM
WRT putting the generator on the tongue, I see a couple of issues there.
1. If your trailer is like mine (and yes, my wiring as new from the factory looks like yours) you have LPG bottles mounted on the tongue. Having a running generator that close to the gas bottles would make me a bit nervous and
2. Having a running generator on the tongue would generate a lot of noise inside the trailer. On our last trip, the blowout valve in one of the gas bottles was singing slightly and I could hear it all through the trailer. It nearly drove me mad until I found out what the noise was and figured out how to stop it and that was a pretty quiet sound.

There was a couple from Louisiana that were full-timing across the country and parked next to me. They had that shelf mounted on the tongue of their 30' or so TT. It looked like a pretty neat install. That's the reason I mention it for discussion. I've also seem portagens mounted in a rack on the back receiver hitch on the TT. It seems less desirable there for security and damage reasons. It seems likes pluses and minuses for both places.

JRTJH
03-17-2020, 05:50 AM
Stromberg/Carlson sells a rack to install above the propane tanks on travel trailers. It's an "adaptable, commercial product" and is sold at many RV dealerships. Here's one CW link to their generator rack: https://www.campingworld.com/trailer-tray-a-frame-cargo-carrier-70918.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6JP139Kh6AIVQtbACh3eB wttEAQYASABEgLlDPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

sonofcy
03-22-2020, 08:18 AM

A couple of less extreme and easy improvements are to squirt NOALOX in the connections then tape over the open ends to exclude water.

Joe2650BH
03-22-2020, 10:15 AM
At least keystone is consistent with their poor quality. If you ever take the chloroplast off under the unit, you will see another mess of a wiring job.

Canonman
03-22-2020, 01:20 PM
Telco Tech, I feel your pain. I spent over 20 years in the voice and data business. We were trained to "dress" every wire and secure and seal every connection. Evidently travel trailer "construction engineers" don't get this same training. We wanted any one who walked by our installations to know it was done by a professional just by looking at the job. Your example as was ours, shows a complete lack of workmanship and pride. I couldn't live with ours and cleaned things up when I installed our solar connections. I'm sure your's will look a lot better soon:)

pakuma
03-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Had to replace the faceplate on the info center on my 2013 29RKS. While I was doing that touched one of the splices, it was hot. I ended up redoing the wiring in that area and have been upgrading connections since.

Rocketsled
03-22-2020, 05:40 PM
THANKYOU!

I’m looking at creating a 6” stub to extend the various grounds to the second battery. I couldn’t believe what I saw was a factory wiring.

The two heavy cables (presumably the Genset ) have plenty of slack to reach a second battery...everything else? Not so much.

tonysr
03-24-2020, 07:49 AM

If you think this is bad, wait till you see the wiring under your cabinets that go to accessories and through the walls for lights, switches, etc. You'll have a heart attack.

JRTJH
03-24-2020, 08:13 AM
If you think this is bad, wait till you see the wiring under your cabinets that go to accessories and through the walls for lights, switches, etc. You'll have a heart attack.

You mean this wiring ?????